Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Right Front Tire (15-20 deg hotter)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 AMG 63 S
Cool Hot Right Front Tire (15-20 deg hotter)

The right front tire on a C-AMG 63S is consistently running 15-20 hotter than the left front (and rear tires) at 70 mph. The right front tire previously separated and had to be replaced, and the temp issue was only recently discovered. Dealership is claiming it's the sun, which is nuts. Can anyone confirm for me that this is normal for a 63S (perhaps due to another piece of the vehicle shedding heat at the right front) or do I have a problem that the dealership is just ducking because they can't figure it out? Sensors have been checked and they are working properly. Thanks in advance to you geniuses, I'm a total idiot when it comes to cars!
Old 02-23-2021, 11:58 AM

2019 AMG 63 S
After four days, the dealer responded by saying the Wheel Arch Radiator is causing the elevated temp in the right front tire........I'm too ignorant about the configuration of the various components of the engine to know whether or not this rings true. If anybody has an opinion, pro or con, I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:13 PM

Received 154 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
I have not heard that, but it makes sense as the heat has to go somewhere. On the E63S I believe both front wheel wells have heat exchangers, so one wouldn't necessarily be hotter than the other. I think the front right (passenger) serves the IC.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:48 PM

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts
2013 E63 P30, 2010 GL550
Yes, on the E63S models, the front right aux HE helps IC. There is no fan, and air moves only in motion. Part of warm air dumps out through the cuts in the wheel well liner, and part dumps into the engine bay and out the bottom. Most IC cooling is done by the main HE in front of the engine. With the ambient air wind chill, it is hard to imagine the front tire picking any heat from that let alone the difference you cite. A true mystery.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:57 PM

2013 E63 P30, 2010 GL550
Here is an idea. Cover the wheel liner cuts with shipping tape, plastic. This eliminates the aux HE suspect. It is safe to do, could only slightly elevate your IAT. Drive around and measure the tire temp you usually do. See if this changes anything.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:35 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
Caliper sticking ,wheel bearing

Originally Posted by johnelliottnewt
The right front tire on a C-AMG 63S is consistently running 15-20 hotter than the left front (and rear tires) at 70 mph. The right front tire previously separated and had to be replaced, and the temp issue was only recently discovered. Dealership is claiming it's the sun, which is nuts. Can anyone confirm for me that this is normal for a 63S (perhaps due to another piece of the vehicle shedding heat at the right front) or do I have a problem that the dealership is just ducking because they can't figure it out? Sensors have been checked and they are working properly. Thanks in advance to you geniuses, I'm a total idiot when it comes to cars!
Does your car pull to the right. how about smell of brakes overheating .wheel bearing.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:24 PM

2013 E63 P30, 2010 GL550
I thought about the chance of heat transfer from brakes or the hub bearings, but this much heat is very unlikely to travel from the hub through the spokes, to the rim, and to the tire. Remember that the front wheel is being seriously cooled at any speed in February (northern hemisphere). And the OP would have noticed and mentioned an overheated aluminum wheel. It seems that the heat is associated with some crazy tire friction. I would check if the car was lowered or some other aftermarket (out-of-spec) tire/wheel installed that rubs... on the other hand, rub noise would have been intolerable. Perhaps, extreme case of misalignment here? Do the front tires squeal in turns? It would be curious to find out. Let us know.

Last edited by maxusa; 02-23-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 691 Likes on 513 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
How are you measuring the temp difference?
Old 02-24-2021, 11:11 AM

2019 AMG 63 S
Hot front right tire on 2019 C-AMG 63S

Originally Posted by maxusa
Yes, on the E63S models, the front right aux HE helps IC. There is no fan, and air moves only in motion. Part of warm air dumps out through the cuts in the wheel well liner, and part dumps into the engine bay and out the bottom. Most IC cooling is done by the main HE in front of the engine. With the ambient air wind chill, it is hard to imagine the front tire picking any heat from that let alone the difference you cite. A true mystery.
Thanks for your thoughts. The dealer's explanation, which I believe is effectively a design flaw, doesn't ring true to me, but not much that I can do if they say the condition is normal for this vehicle. It is a 2019 AMG 63S convertible with 16,000 miles on it. The right front tire recently separated and had to be replaced -- it concerns me that the same will happen again, but that the tire will blow and I'll go plowing into a guard rail or other cars.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:06 PM

Received 154 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
I think the dealer is BS'ing you.

The speed/temp rating on our tires should allow us to not only drive normally through the high heat of a desert, but what about running a few laps around the track without blowout? I would guess 150 degree tire temps in these cases in not out of the question? So then what is temp coming off of the aux IC, 140? Even assuming the discharge air was directly ducted to the tire it would not heat it up beyond other conditions typically faced by these cars.

So I fail to see how the heat coming off the IC would 1) exceed the temps already being experienced by tires in certain cases and 2) lead to structural failure of the tire leading to blowout.

I could see how over or under-inflated tires could blowout due to temp issues, but you would presumably see this on your TPMS.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:27 PM

2019 AMG 63 S
Hot front right tire on 2019 C-AMG 63S

Originally Posted by NoVAe63s
I think the dealer is BS'ing you.

The speed/temp rating on our tires should allow us to not only drive normally through the high heat of a desert, but what about running a few laps around the track without blowout? I would guess 150 degree tire temps in these cases in not out of the question? So then what is temp coming off of the aux IC, 140? Even assuming the discharge air was directly ducted to the tire it would not heat it up beyond other conditions typically faced by these cars.

So I fail to see how the heat coming off the IC would 1) exceed the temps already being experienced by tires in certain cases and 2) lead to structural failure of the tire leading to blowout.

I could see how over or under-inflated tires could blowout due to temp issues, but you would presumably see this on your TPMS.
Appreciate your reply. Quite frankly, I am very concerned that the problem has been "rationalized" and not fixed by the dealer, and that I'm going to have a blowout and hurt myself and/or others. Seems like reckless endangerment to me, but as I've said.........dealer concluded this was normal for my vehicle. Pressures in the tires are appropriate -- I check them every week or two.