Dash Cam suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Dash Cam suggestions

360* vs 4 channel vs 2 channel , what you all have and what you all suggest ?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
I just installed Thinkware U1000 2ch. It has worked nicely for last 6 months since install. It’s not 360deg. But you catch everyone in front and behind you. Just not the sides.

i download both channel feeds and edit them in KineMaster app for top and bottom or side by side videos.

I have captured some great kills with this setup. I am known as Alpha63 on Dragy BTW.

It took me about 3 hours total to install taking it slow with a beer in one hand!

I’ll post a couple install pics in a moment. This U1000 is pretty popular and was recommended to me by buddies in the Whatsapp E-tune chat.

pics coming.

Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2022, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG

Old 02-16-2022, 10:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
05 C55-gone 06 E55-gone 15 P85D 14 E63 S 11 Sonata 😅
I was looking at some inexpensive options and saw Nexar Pro. But depending on what you’re looking for you can always buy one on Amazon and return it if you don’t like it.

free trial 😂
Old 02-17-2022, 08:26 AM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Did the Blackvue DR900 4k with rear camera. Have had it for close to two years and it has been rock solid. Have had some cheaper options in the past and they usually either fail after a year or two, or they start misbehaving, loosing clips, crappy quality, etc.

1. Definitely go 4k - the difference in reading license plates is real. Less important in rear since if you are rear ended, they get very close.....
2. Get the "parking option" (or whatever your vendor of choice calls it). It is very nice to have that extra layer of safety and help with parking lot issues. No need to get battery option - you will never run out of your main battery (unless you leave you car parked for weeks at end (without battery tender).
3. No need to buy the vendor;s fancy SD card, just buy the good kind, 10x etc, and big as you can (128 or 256 GB)
4. Every 3 or 4 months, take 5 min to check on the video being stored. Just so you know it's working when you need it!
The following 2 users liked this post by FastWgn:
arcticfox (02-19-2022), Blutiful_Devil (06-20-2023)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,177 Likes on 619 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by FastWgn
Did the Blackvue DR900 4k with rear camera. Have had it for close to two years and it has been rock solid. Have had some cheaper options in the past and they usually either fail after a year or two, or they start misbehaving, loosing clips, crappy quality, etc.

1. Definitely go 4k - the difference in reading license plates is real. Less important in rear since if you are rear ended, they get very close.....
2. Get the "parking option" (or whatever your vendor of choice calls it). It is very nice to have that extra layer of safety and help with parking lot issues. No need to get battery option - you will never run out of your main battery (unless you leave you car parked for weeks at end (without battery tender).
3. No need to buy the vendor;s fancy SD card, just buy the good kind, 10x etc, and big as you can (128 or 256 GB)
4. Every 3 or 4 months, take 5 min to check on the video being stored. Just so you know it's working when you need it!
Pics? Curios on front fitment vs the U1000 and not noticing it / obstructing.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:54 AM

Received 472 Likes on 174 Posts
E63
I've been running the Blackvue LTE for around 2 years. Works awesome, you can keep an eye on your car directly from your phone and it'll send you notifications if there's any motion or impact detections.

I have it hooked up to the Blackvue battery pack so I never have to worry about draining my battery, it usually lasts 16 hours in parking mode and recharges itself automatically when the car is running.

https://shop.blackvue.com/product/dr...h-lte-plus-na/
Old 02-19-2022, 06:09 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
Pics? Curios on front fitment vs the U1000 and not noticing it / obstructing.
Ask and you shall receive. First is close-up. Second picture is more of a real "feeling" of where it sits - and truly - from the driver's seat you can't even tell it's there. It's wide angle so the picture if perfect. The only thing my brain registers is the radar detector. Last picture is the rear camera - taking from the front. Yes, you can see it in the rear view mirror, but after a day or two you stop seeing it (you can also see my ski sack conversion here - still love that thing!).

The following 2 users liked this post by FastWgn:
Blutiful_Devil (06-20-2023), I.T. Guy (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 06:28 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by sickSVT
I've been running the Blackvue LTE for around 2 years. Works awesome, you can keep an eye on your car directly from your phone and it'll send you notifications if there's any motion or impact detections.

I have it hooked up to the Blackvue battery pack so I never have to worry about draining my battery, it usually lasts 16 hours in parking mode and recharges itself automatically when the car is running.

https://shop.blackvue.com/product/dr...h-lte-plus-na/
Don't want to rain our your parade, but for people who are considering getting a camera, there is really no need for a battery backup. Save $1-300 and the extra weight, as long as you get a automatic turnoff feature after X number of hours.
The Blackvue states it pulls around 3-400mA, or 7-9 Ah per 24 hours. If it run for 72 hours (3 days) you have used less than 1/3 of your battery's capacity.
I actually think the camera uses less power than that, those are likely to be the worst case specs.
Or put it differently, I have left the car many, may times for more than 3 days, and have yet to have any issues starting it up. Longest time was three+ weeks (but my video ends after 72 hours of course!). And our cars do have the intelligent battery mgmt system, so if you are running the battery too low it will start to shut off battery drains. .
If you regularly park at the airport for long trips, I'd even consider not using the turn off feature and just let the car turn off the camera when it feels you are running the main (and the aux) battery too low. Not sure after what time that would be. And maybe buy a higher capacity battery next time it's time to replace it....
Old 02-19-2022, 01:13 PM

Received 472 Likes on 174 Posts
E63
Don't want to rain our your parade, but for people who are considering getting a camera, there is really no need for a battery backup. Save $1-300 and the extra weight, as long as you get a automatic turnoff feature after X number of hours.
The Blackvue states it pulls around 3-400mA, or 7-9 Ah per 24 hours. If it run for 72 hours (3 days) you have used less than 1/3 of your battery's capacity.
I actually think the camera uses less power than that, those are likely to be the worst case specs.
Or put it differently, I have left the car many, may times for more than 3 days, and have yet to have any issues starting it up. Longest time was three+ weeks (but my video ends after 72 hours of course!). And our cars do have the intelligent battery mgmt system, so if you are running the battery too low it will start to shut off battery drains. .
If you regularly park at the airport for long trips, I'd even consider not using the turn off feature and just let the car turn off the camera when it feels you are running the main (and the aux) battery too low. Not sure after what time that would be. And maybe buy a higher capacity battery next time it's time to replace it....
I have my camera setup to get motion detection alerts so it would drain the battery way too fast in a busy area. The external battery gives me a solid 16+ hours and I don't have to worry about coming back to a drained battery if I leave the car parked overnight somewhere.

I'm also running a light-weight race battery so I don't want any aftermarket accessories draining it.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:56 PM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by sickSVT
I have my camera setup to get motion detection alerts so it would drain the battery way too fast in a busy area. The external battery gives me a solid 16+ hours and I don't have to worry about coming back to a drained battery if I leave the car parked overnight somewhere.

I'm also running a light-weight race battery so I don't want any aftermarket accessories draining it.
Well, since you have a small capacity (?) light weight battery it may make sense.
But for any normal car there is zero need for a backup battery. The car battery is way bigger and lasts much longer.
The motion versus no motion shouldn't really affect battery drain at all. The key drivers for battery use are radio usage (WiFi, LTE etc). So if you are live streaming or uploading to the cloud continuously, there will be increased battery usage.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,177 Likes on 619 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Ask and you shall receive. First is close-up. Second picture is more of a real "feeling" of where it sits - and truly - from the driver's seat you can't even tell it's there. It's wide angle so the picture if perfect. The only thing my brain registers is the radar detector. Last picture is the rear camera - taking from the front. Yes, you can see it in the rear view mirror, but after a day or two you stop seeing it (you can also see my ski sack conversion here - still love that thing!).

Thank You!