Sponsored by:

Walnut blasting/Carbon intake clean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i had carbon buildup on my e63 and after it was diagnosed my indie shop drove it around in manual mode at higher rpms for about 20 mins and said you need to really wind/heat up these engines to clean them out. He suggest 20 mins in the 4K range and a few good on ramp merges at WOT don't hurt it either -
Old 07-05-2023, 01:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015-E63S | 2012-C300
Originally Posted by kevm14
Same guy, eventually moved to walnut blasting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgvNu_HVD_g

Results? It works (but we already knew this). Cleaned everything, gained all the power back.
from my understanding, it will clean up the top of pistons and turbos. But I have great news, I have a before picture of top of cylinder #3 picture taken from the injector hole.
The following 2 users liked this post by cold bud3:
billvp218 (07-06-2023), QuadTurboPrius (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 01:40 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
'14 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by baldmike73
i had carbon buildup on my e63 and after it was diagnosed my indie shop drove it around in manual mode at higher rpms for about 20 mins and said you need to really wind/heat up these engines to clean them out. He suggest 20 mins in the 4K range and a few good on ramp merges at WOT don't hurt it either -
I call BS ...If this were true then there would not be a cottage industry of walnut blasters, intake adapters, etc... This is a chemical management problem inherent to DI engines unrelated to how you use your engine. No amount of WOT will address the gunk on the valves in the various samples above or, really, and DI engine without port cleaning injectors. Just watch the 20% recovery of the VW engine in the video above. He was WOT until the walnut blasting and nothing helped.

Maybe you just have/had an old, non-DI E63 -- What year was the car and how many miles were on it when you got this advice?

Last edited by QuadTurboPrius; 07-05-2023 at 04:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yakatak (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 685 Likes on 465 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
WOT might actually make the problem worse because of significantly increased crankcase gases being ingested. Everyone here says their oil consumption goes up when driving hard. Where do you think the oil is going? Yes some goes directly past the piston rings and out the exhaust valve but PCV oil mist is reburned, which means it goes past the intake valves.

That said any combustion chamber deposits could be cured (or prevented) using the Italian tune-up method. Like piston deposits. I am concerned SPECIFICALLY about intake valve deposits. They kill power and efficiency, and also apparently trash the valve guides when the gunk builds up enough.

Last edited by kevm14; 07-05-2023 at 04:14 PM.
QuadTurboPrius (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 05:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG Wagon
I had a JCW Mini that I had to walnut blast twice during my ownership. Very easy to do on that engine. Of course I tried all of the chemical methods first (Not the Carbon Tek) and none of them even remotely worked. I've seen anecdotal reports that water injection will keep DI valves clean, but have never seen any hard evidence to confirm. I once owned a Saab 99 Turbo, and had installed water injection to control pinging brought on by increased boost. This engine used Bosch CIS injection so not DI, but...when the head was removed (at 56K miles) to repair a blown head gasket, the valves and the top of the pistons looked new.
QuadTurboPrius (07-05-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 10:26 PM

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts
'16 CLS63S
Ive been running e40-e50 daily for the past 33000 miles. Car had 15000 miles when it was tuned for e50. Wonder what what the valves look like at this point
Old 07-09-2023, 01:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG Wagon
Since the back of your valves never see any of that E-fuel, I suspect they look like most other 48K valves in a E63. Unfortunately.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:12 AM

Received 142 Likes on 103 Posts
m157 SL63
Originally Posted by cold bud3
from my understanding, it will clean up the top of pistons and turbos. But I have great news, I have a before picture of top of cylinder #3 picture taken from the injector hole.
any update?
NH_E63 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 09:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 E63 AMG S
There are a few folks on here that have catch can setups (dual Radiums) on the M157 (I've got a 2015 E63 S), would continue to poke/ask them to share their setups. I've started a bit of digging into this and I think, while we do have the DI issue, the MB engineers developed a better Air-Oil separator system than other manufactures.

It's in the PDF of the M157 motor intro thingy (LOL) on page 12

The following 2 users liked this post by NH_E63:
cotmfk (07-17-2023), Yakatak (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 685 Likes on 465 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
What reference is that from? I'm glad you posted it. There was a breather thread and I remember thinking it did seem like an evolution of the M273 centrifugal system. Of course boost makes everything way more complicated, requiring check valves and such. My M273 oil consumption is near zero over 5k which is a HUUUUGE departure from my E55 w/ M113k. Also, so far, my M157 seems not to be a major burner though I will need to observe over the entire 5k interval to have all the data.

The point I am making there is if the oil consumption is low, then the breather situation is satisfactory by definition. If oil consumption is low, the back if the intake valves have a better shot at not getting totally crapped up (but they still absolutely will given enough time).
Old 07-17-2023, 02:29 PM

Received 142 Likes on 103 Posts
m157 SL63
What reference is that from? I'm glad you posted it. There was a breather thread and I remember thinking it did seem like an evolution of the M273 centrifugal system. Of course boost makes everything way more complicated, requiring check valves and such. My M273 oil consumption is near zero over 5k which is a HUUUUGE departure from my E55 w/ M113k. Also, so far, my M157 seems not to be a major burner though I will need to observe over the entire 5k interval to have all the data.

The point I am making there is if the oil consumption is low, then the breather situation is satisfactory by definition. If oil consumption is low, the back if the intake valves have a better shot at not getting totally crapped up (but they still absolutely will given enough time).
here's the PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
m157.pdf (2.76 MB, 202 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by billvp218:
cotmfk (07-17-2023), NH_E63 (07-17-2023), Yakatak (07-17-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metris
CarbonTek Response

I would like to address the sceptics, if I may.
The HHO gas removes carbon with simple chemistry. We take Potassium Hydroxide and electrolyze it into HHO gas. Think broken water. We then introduce this gas into the intake stream where it is combined with the incoming air/fuel mixture. The heat of combustion will assist the Hydrogen to bond with deposited carbon (Re-hydration). This turns the deposited Carbon into a hydrocarbon, and it is burned as fuel. This process works on any fuel burning engine.

This is supposed to be a regular maintenance service, not a "miracle in a can". If performed regularly, the carbon buildup is negligible. We can affect carbon buildup anywhere that the heat of combustion is available. It takes energy to break the water, and energy to create the hydrocarbons.

We have had tremendous results for many customers. Curing cold start shaking, shutting off check engine lights related to misfire codes, improving fuel economy and bringing back horsepower. The first thing our customers notice is the engine runs quieter. For some customers the benefits are less obvious. Some see a tiny MPG increase. Some say the car runs no different. It is impossible for us to predict the exact impact of our service, simply because we don't know the vehicle's condition going in.

I have found that we do not completely remove all carbon. The HHO gas seems capable of breaking the bonds from carbon atom to carbon atom. It is less successful breaking the bond from metal to carbon atom. So, a skim may remain after the service.

I will be happy to answer any questions you folks may have.

I'll be the resident skeptic (always need one) and go on record that there is no way this works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3__VxmaNy-I

My evidence is that solutions that work tend to claim specific, targeted results. For example, walnut blasting cleans the backs of the intake valves. That's it. It is laborious but also proven and safe if done correctly. This system claims to be hydrogen (and I guess oxygen) pumped into your air intake and it cleans your intake valves, pistons, turbo and exhaust. Any chemists? Seems like it would take way more than an hour to safely dissolve carbon on intake valves and I am not sure hydrogen alone can even do that.

I've also noticed that the marketing seems to be targeted to diesel engines which is interesting. Haven't seem anything (yet) that implies gas DI is a good candidate for the service.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:52 PM

Metris
After Service Thoughts?

My son and I serviced 2 cars here. One the E63S with mods, the other the C300 stock. Both cars had an improvement in idle sound after the first 1/2 hour. The piston picture posted by Cold Bud 3 shows an absolutely knackered piston top! Oil use and over fueling can cause what we see here. I fully expect to see a lot of carbon remaining, but I am willing to bet that it runs better overall.

The point I would like to make is that if this service is performed early enough, these coated valves and pistons would never occur. The DI engines are the worst, but PI engines suffer as well.

Once again, I will entertain questions.

i would call there. That's what i did. I made a appt, they come to my home on the 12th, in front of my garage and complete the service, i have two cars setup for the service, the 2015 e63s and 2012 c300. I was told it's a one hour service each and will pay after the service is completed, cash/credit.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:07 PM

'14 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Carbontek
I would like to address the sceptics, if I may.
The HHO gas removes carbon with simple chemistry. We take Potassium Hydroxide and electrolyze it into HHO gas. Think broken water. We then introduce this gas into the intake stream where it is combined with the incoming air/fuel mixture. The heat of combustion will assist the Hydrogen to bond with deposited carbon (Re-hydration). This turns the deposited Carbon into a hydrocarbon, and it is burned as fuel. This process works on any fuel burning engine.
The chemistry might be sound. The quantity and effect on the bubble-gum-sized blobs on the intake valves might simply overwhelm the quantity of chemical reactions needed to have any appreciable effect,

This is supposed to be a regular maintenance service, not a "miracle in a can". If performed regularly, the carbon buildup is negligible.
Sure. Define "regular." Every month? as previously noted, I suspect that the time when someone thinks about doing this, they have so much carbon goo on their valve stems that a little vapor in the intake isn't going to make any difference at all. So - pics or it didn't happen. There's no shortage of DI engines and carbon buildup out there. If you're so confident, perform a pre-post test, dyno and strip-down.

We have had tremendous results for many customers. Curing cold start shaking, shutting off check engine lights related to misfire codes, improving fuel economy and bringing back horsepower. The first thing our customers notice is the engine runs quieter. For some customers the benefits are less obvious. Some see a tiny MPG increase. Some say the car runs no different. It is impossible for us to predict the exact impact of our service, simply because we don't know the vehicle's condition going in.
Classic salesmanship here:
tremendous results for many customers
With DI engines full of carbon goo? I suspect old port engines behind this statement
bringing back horsepower
How much by percent, on average?
Some see a tiny MPG increase
Again - Care to put numbers on that? Any at all?
It is impossible for us to predict the exact impact of our service
Absolutely false. It is impossible to stay in business for you to make measurable claims, maybe, but not to quantify the results. Specify the depth of carbon on the valves pre and post service. Show Pictures. Done.

I have found that we do not completely remove all carbon.
No doubt. 99% remaining carbon still makes this claim "true."

Again, your chemistry is probably sound... but there is an absolutely damning lack of easily-obtainable photographic evidence that this does anything significant on DI engine carbon buildup

Until then... snake oil.

Last edited by QuadTurboPrius; 07-26-2023 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:57 PM

2015-E63S | 2012-C300
Alright, I'm not ready yet to address the E63S carbon cleaning effects yet, I can't tell and I haven't taken the after cleaning top piston #3 picture yet.

I'm delaying my report based on the following.
1. During the service, I had a small coolant leak that got aggravated.
2. Two days later I got my downpipe exhaust installed and replaced the leaky hose.
3 . The 3rd day my front left axle started making crunchy noises and can't step on it really.
4. Got appt for resonator delete and still debating on H-pipe vs X-pipe ( any input would be greatly appreciated)
5. I'm waiting for the split colling kit from VRP and thinking of pulling out the intake to visually check on the intake valves and take pics.
6 . Less than 100 miles driven since carbon cleaning service was completed.

A preliminary observation: I feel like this service works better on naturally aspirated cars and I say that because of my son's response.
Judging just based only on the c300, vehicle has 135k miles and this was the first time getting such a service. ( X-pipe is the only mod on this vehicle )
I just hung up the phone with my son and he claims that it was worth it, he claims improved performance, throttle response and definitely fuel economy and also a significant decrease in engine vibration especially noted while waiting for green light.

BTW, this is a common service completed in Europe, however only works on DRY deposited carbon buildup. It has no improvement for any wet(oil) portions on intake/exhaust/valves etc.
My brother in law drives and services W124's in Finland, (w124 crackhead) and he advised me to complete this service as well.
I spoke with him regarding the c300's response to cleaning and he's not surprised, however for my E63 he recommended a different cleaning process based on a liquid introduced in the engine that will address the wet and dry portion of the buildup. The specific fluid and delivery kit is not available in USA. There's a similar product from https://www.bgprod.com/ also promoted by the car wizard on YouTube but not sure if it's safe for MB vehicles, I'm still doing research, looking to buy the Euro kit and liquid.

Last edited by cold bud3; 07-26-2023 at 11:21 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,197 Likes on 630 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
+1 I've asked around and keep hearing good things about BG from people I trust in the automotive business
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol...amber-cleaner/

M157 Specific:
https://www.bgprod.com/reference/mer...8-gdi-engines/

Although they do say removal and walnut blasting is the best, mostly BMW's. Not sure why Mercedes isn't in the walnut blasting crowd more - harder to remove heads or buildup is not as bad as BMW's?

Last edited by I.T. Guy; 07-27-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:28 AM

'14 E63 S AMG
A preliminary observation: I feel like this service works better on naturally aspirated cars and I say that because of my son's response.
Judging just based only on the c300, vehicle has 135k miles and this was the first time getting such a service. ( X-pipe is the only mod on this vehicle )
I just hung up the phone with my son and he claims that it was worth it, he claims improved performance, throttle response and definitely fuel economy and also a significant decrease in engine vibration especially noted while waiting for green light.
Yep, I have no doubt that the Carbontek service has its place, and has some effect in cleaning small amounts of buildup all over the intake and exhaust tracks.

But - this thread was about the need/method to clean up the goo seen in the earlier posts on this thread. I've seen nothing that indicates that the Carbontek service can address this.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:30 AM

2015-E63S | 2012-C300
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
+1 I've asked around and keep hearing good things about BG from people I trust in the automotive business
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol...amber-cleaner/

M157 Specific:
https://www.bgprod.com/reference/mer...8-gdi-engines/

Although they do say removal and walnut blasting is the best, mostly BMW's. Not sure why Mercedes isn't in the walnut blasting crowd more - harder to remove heads or buildup is not as bad as BMW's?
I did notice that, however the last line of step 11 doesn't sit well with me, that's why I'd prefer the original MB fluid ( thinking that it's not as dangerous )
I.T. Guy (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:41 AM

Metris
QuadTurboPrius,
I will respond line by line.

The chemistry might be sound. The quantity and effect on the bubble-gum-sized blobs on the intake valves might simply overwhelm the quantity of chemical reactions needed to have any appreciable effect,

Agreed. This is preventative maintenance, not a repair. The walnut shell service may be the only solution for cars that are too far gone.

Sure. Define "regular." Every month? as previously noted, I suspect that the time when someone thinks about doing this, they have so much carbon goo on their valve stems that a little vapor in the intake isn't going to make any difference at all. So - pics or it didn't happen. There's no shortage of DI engines and carbon buildup out there. If you're so confident, perform a pre-post test, dyno and strip-down.
I think I would define "Regular" as every 20k-30k miles. If we take the, say $3K service many are doing after 100k miles, and divide it out by 30k, we get 3 services over 100k (roughly) at $200/service we are still ahead of the game. We have tried to get shops to do a before and after tear down. They were too busy.

Classic salesmanship here:
Well, yes and no. I AM a salesman, but I don't sell anything I don't believe in. Period.

With DI engines full of carbon goo? I suspect old port engines behind this statement
Actually, the best results have been with Hyundai/Kia and VW DI engines.

How much by percent, on average?Again - Care to put numbers on that? Any at all?
Essentially the same question. Most see 5% increase in MPG. some as high as 12%. My own vehicle (2019 Ram 1500) only sees about 4-5% after servicing at 25K intervals. Can't truly measure HP accurately unless performed on the same day. Tried to get a Tuning shop to do this with us, but they wouldn't cooperate.

Absolutely false. It is impossible to stay in business for you to make measurable claims, maybe, but not to quantify the results. Specify the depth of carbon on the valves pre and post service. Show Pictures. Done
Please read my statement more carefully. We cannot predict the effect on each vehicle because we do not perform a complete teardown, inspection, service, and teardown during our come-to-you $200 service. THAT would guarantee we go out of business! See below pictures.

No doubt. 99% remaining carbon still makes this claim "true."

Again, your chemistry is probably sound... but there is an absolutely damning lack of easily-obtainable photographic evidence that this does anything significant on DI engine carbon buildup

Until then... snake oil.
See Below. Only one instance, but we know that we can achieve similar results in most circumstances. Not all, unfortunately.

3.6L Chevrolet DI Before

3.6L Chevrolet DI After 45-minute service

QuadTurboPrius (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 12:01 PM

Metris
Cold Bud3,
See replies.

Alright, I'm not ready yet to address the E63S carbon cleaning effects yet, I can't tell and I haven't taken the after cleaning top piston #3 picture yet.

Thanks for the feedback. This is what I would expect, and others have reported.

BTW, this is a common service completed in Europe, however only works on DRY deposited carbon buildup. It has no improvement for any wet(oil) portions on intake/exhaust/valves etc.
My brother in law drives and services W124's in Finland, (w124 crackhead) and he advised me to complete this service as well.
People in Europe tend to be a bit ahead of the USA with adopting new technology.

I spoke with him regarding the c300's response to cleaning and he's not surprised, however for my E63 he recommended a different cleaning process based on a liquid introduced in the engine that will address the wet and dry portion of the buildup. The specific fluid and delivery kit is not available in USA. There's a similar product from https://www.bgprod.com/ also promoted by the car wizard on YouTube but not sure if it's safe for MB vehicles, I'm still doing research, looking to buy the Euro kit and liquid

I can attest to the fact that the BG system can work very well. I used to perform this service when I was a technician. There are significant caveats! The chance of killing off catalytic convertors, and O2 sensors is not inconsequential. The service introduces additional fuel into a carefully calibrated system and can wreak havoc. Does it clean? Absolutely! Will it clean all the blobs off valves? Possibly, heck, probably! Can it also cause damage? Yes. Our HHO service cannot cause any damage to the engine.
The BG product is mostly Toluene. It used to consist of three parts. Intake "Fogger" that mists chemicals into the intake stream. A Fuel Injector cleaning that runs the car on cleaning chemicals, and a fuel tank additive. They may not perform the fuel injector cleaning anymore as the fogger has the most impact.

Last edited by Carbontek; 07-27-2023 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:10 PM

Metris
I did notice that, however the last line of step 11 doesn't sit well with me, that's why I'd prefer the original MB fluid ( thinking that it's not as dangerous )
Yep! Another one of those "caveats" I mention elsewhere. The revving of the engine with the addition of the "Mist" is what can lead to dead catalytic convertors and O2 sensors. If the car has a marginal cat, well...goodbye! If it has NO cats, well..service away!
Old 07-27-2023, 12:12 PM

'14 E63 S AMG
Thanks @Carbontek !

That's the kind of evidence that will compel people, especially as more and more of these engines are out there and need cleanup. I appreciate your responses!

Regarding the teardown/proof -- I mean for promotional reasons, not every car serviced. Take some sample cars with buildup, perform a pre inspection and dyno, then do the same at post. It might cost a few thousand dollars one-time after recruiting some victims, but that's cheap if it works and gets people to adopt this en-masse at regular intervals.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:43 PM

Metris
Closest one to me. This seems like a distributor not a garage. Or do zero shops even have this equipment and you have to go to an actual Carbontek facility?
We are distributors, but there are a few independent contractors out there as well. We are growing, but it has been slow. We have also expanded into Canada, and should begin to gain stronger recognition in the near future?
Old 07-27-2023, 01:02 PM

Metris
Originally Posted by QuadTurboPrius
Thanks @Carbontek !

That's the kind of evidence that will compel people, especially as more and more of these engines are out there and need cleanup. I appreciate your responses!

Regarding the teardown/proof -- I mean for promotional reasons, not every car serviced. Take some sample cars with buildup, perform a pre inspection and dyno, then do the same at post. It might cost a few thousand dollars one-time after recruiting some victims, but that's cheap if it works and gets people to adopt this en-masse at regular intervals.
You would be amazed at just how hard this is to get done! Our corporate office has tried for 3 years to get a shop to do pre and post teardowns, to no avail. The shops see this as useless work, even though we agreed to pay all expenses and assume any liability after the fact. I tried to engage a local Truck shop (already a customer of mine in my other endeavor) to do this and all they did was take a shot of the EGR cooler. They had an open checkbook! So, this has us relying on what little evidence we can get with a borescope (harder to get good pictures than you would think) and anecdotal evidence.
Here are the pictures of the EGR Cooler off a Volvo Semi. One hour service. Note that during the service, the EGR valve is closed, so there isn't any actual flow through it. The very slight change in carbon buildup is from HHO flowing past the cooler face.

EGR Cooler Before

EGR Cooler After
Old 07-27-2023, 05:20 PM

2015-E63S | 2012-C300
interesting, I actually found some actual studies on this
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...10016815001714

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Walnut blasting/Carbon intake clean?