Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 E63s vs 2017 Panamera Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E63 AMG S, 2016 Porsche 911 GTS Coupe
This is going to sound odd but I actually got to drive the Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo on a tight little autocross track at Porsche's Masters track school. It absolutely shocked me in how capable it is even at that totally unsuitable use. On paper it is less powerful and heavier than the M5/E63 but trust me when I say it feels faster in real life, particularly on a handling biased track. It is heavier but feels lighter and it is less powerful but feels faster. Between the rear axle steering, DCT and low coefficient of drag Porsche has worked some outright witchcraft on the laws of physics with this car. I'd say its more of a luxurious sports car than a sporty luxury car.

Outside of the driving experience I think it the new generation looks good but I prefer the sedan E63 to the hatchback Panamera. The Sport Turismo is gorgeous though and is probably the choice over the E63 wagon. The interior is amazing and the build quality and fit and finish are a step above both the Mercedes and the BMW M5

All this said I'd still rather have the E63 (or the BMW M5 if one wanted to sacrifice some character for a little more comfort and polish). The deal breaker is the price - you're nudging $200k with the plain Turbo and the faster Turbo S Hybrid nudges $250 similarly equipped to a fully loaded E63! My 991.1 GTS and my E63S together cost me about what a new, fully loaded Panamera Turbo S Hybrid would and then I have both a proper Porsche sports car and a super sedan thats at least 95% as good as the Panamera turbo! If I couldn't own two cars and absolutely only had to make do with one, its a lot tougher to call but even then, at around $200k and over you're well into entry level supercar money so I'd probably pick something more interesting like a used Ferrari FF.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Range Rover 400e, Ferrari GTC Lusso, G63
If you have Amazon Prime or Amazon TV, check out Head to Head on Motor trends episode 103. 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S 4Matic+ Wagon vs. 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo. See which wins out.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S550 4Matic, 2016 GLC300 4Matic , 2018 Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
That is much improved, I must say.

I’m not sure where the top picture came from but it’s not of the latest gen 971 Panamera. Here’s a pic of my 2018 E-Hybrid and rear end is totally different than the picture above.
I also agree with most that the pre 971 generation’s rear was quite unattractive. Now it is one of my favorite parts of the Panamera.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by AJMB1

I’m not sure where the top picture came from but it’s not of the latest gen 971 Panamera. Here’s a pic of my 2018 E-Hybrid and rear end is totally different than the picture above.
I also agree with most that the pre 971 generation’s rear was quite unattractive. Now it is one of my favorite parts of the Panamera.

Agree. The latest Panamera is a good looking car, and a better looking car than the E-class inside and out. It also has comparable handling while preserving better ride quality.

The only problem is the price. The Turbo is going to cost $50k more than an E63S comparably equipped, and put out less power. And the lower powered versions seem less attractive to me than the E63S. To me, the turbos are the most Porsche-like Porsches. When you drive a Turbo, you get the experience you expect of a Porsche. With the sensibly equipped S model you get a nice luxury car handling but not a true sports car experience.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Agree. The latest Panamera is a good looking car, and a better looking car than the E-class inside and out. It also has comparable handling while preserving better ride quality.

The only problem is the price. The Turbo is going to cost $50k more than an E63S comparably equipped, and put out less power. And the lower powered versions seem less attractive to me than the E63S. To me, the turbos are the most Porsche-like Porsches. When you drive a Turbo, you get the experience you expect of a Porsche. With the sensibly equipped S model you get a nice luxury car handling but not a true sports car experience.
Totally agree the high end Panameras are overpriced. That’s exactly why I chose the E-Hybrid. While at a real world 0-60 of 3.8 seconds and a top speed of 176 mph it’s not quite the equal of your E63S, but with the immediate torque of the electric engine it can move and never feels sluggish at any speed. I spec’d mine with the active rear wheel steering so the driving dynamics are the equal of any Panamera and it really belies its size. Am I going to mistake my car for a 911. No. This is a big vehicle. But that was a real advantage when I put on over 3000 highway miles this month.

Plus with the federal and state rebates for the E-Hybrid the final cost is pretty close to a similarly well equipped E63S.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:43 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
I would love a Sport Turismo E-Hybrid Turbo Panamera but pricing must be different in the US to U.K.

To get the Sport Turismo Turbo E Hybrid Panamera in the U.K., it’s £139k base price v £93k for the E63S Estate that I’ve ordered. That’s over £40k more or c$51k!!!
Old 08-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Slugsy
I would love a Sport Turismo E-Hybrid Turbo Panamera but pricing must be different in the US to U.K.

To get the Sport Turismo Turbo E Hybrid Panamera in the U.K., it’s £139k base price v £93k for the E63S Estate that I’ve ordered. That’s over £40k more or c$51k!!!
I’m not sure of of U.K. pricing but Porsche’s nomenclature has made comparison pricing confusing. To start with all Panameras are turbos. The real difference in most cases is whether it’s a 6 cylinder or an 8 cylinder. The speed stats I quoted above are for the 6 cylinder. The base price for the E-Hybrid 6 cylinder start at $99k USD vs $184k USD for the 8 cylinder E-Hybrid. There remains a ridiculous price spread even after they are configured similarly.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 AM

E63 AMG Estate

I’m not sure of of U.K. pricing but Porsche’s nomenclature has made comparison pricing confusing. To start with all Panameras are turbos. The real difference in most cases is whether it’s a 6 cylinder or an 8 cylinder. The speed stats I quoted above are for the 6 cylinder. The base price for the E-Hybrid 6 cylinder start at $99k USD vs $184k USD for the 8 cylinder E-Hybrid. There remains a ridiculous price spread even after they are configured similarly.
Ah, they actually call it Turbo v non turbo in the UK which I presume is 8 cylinder v 6 cylinder.

But to be clear, in the U.K. the speed stats are significantly different.

The ‘non turbo’ does 0-60 in 4.6 secs where the ‘turbo’ does it in 3.8

Last edited by Slugsy; 08-24-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Ah, they actually call it Turbo v non turbo in the UK which I presume is 8 cylinder v 6 cylinder.

But to be clear, in the U.K. the speed stats are significantly different.

The ‘non turbo’ does 0-60 in 4.6 secs where the ‘turbo’ does it in 3.8
I’m referring to the E-Hybrids specifically and mph. V6 rated at 4.4 seconds 0-60. I believe they’ve rated this car very conservatively so as not to compete too closely with the more expensive non-E-Hybrids. Real world times I’ve seen put this at around 3.8 seconds 0-60.

The V8 E-Hybrid is rated at 3.2 seconds 0-60. Real world closer to mid to upper 2’s. About a second faster than the V6 E-Hybrid. Again the E-Hybrid nature of this car makes it much quicker than the non-E-Hybrids at initial response. But no one is going to be able to convince me that the value is there with the V8 E-Hybrid. I guess that car is reserved for those who have to claim they have the top of the line and money is no object. Personally there has to be at least a perceived value to get my attention.

Last edited by AJMB1; 08-24-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:13 AM

E63 AMG Estate

I’m referring to the E-Hybrids specifically and mph. V6 rated at 4.4 seconds 0-60. I believe they’ve rated this car very conservatively so as not to compete too closely with the more expensive non-E-Hybrids. Real world times I’ve seen put this at around 3.8 seconds 0-60.

The V8 E-Hybrid is rated at 3.2 seconds 0-60. Real world closer to mid to upper 2’s. About a second faster than the V6 E-Hybrid. Again the E-Hybrid nature of this car makes it much quicker than the non-E-Hybrids at initial response. But no one is going to be able to convince me that the value is there with the V8 E-Hybrid. I guess that car is reserved for those who have to claim they have the top of the line and money is no object. Personally there has to be at least a perceived value to get my attention.
Agreed, it’s a huge price differential. I didn’t realise the V6 was that quick, reviews I’ve read don’t really focus on that.

Moot point as I’ve picked the E63S but I do like the Panemera’s a lot.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Agreed, it’s a huge price differential. I didn’t realise the V6 was that quick, reviews I’ve read don’t really focus on that.

Moot point as I’ve picked the E63S but I do like the Panemera’s a lot.
The E63S is a monster. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:32 AM

E63 AMG Estate

The E63S is a monster. Congrats and enjoy.
Thanks, my first Merc but looking forward to it!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
S4
Originally Posted by gaspam
220K... i would get the new e63s and use the leftover 100-120K to buy the new audi RS3, a jeep wrangler with tow hitch and jet skis
I miss my B5 S4 !
Old 08-27-2018, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG

Thanks, my first Merc but looking forward to it!
Did you test drive the new M5? just curious to see another real world comparo
Old 08-27-2018, 01:15 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by Amg63-
Did you test drive the new M5? just curious to see another real world comparo
Without boring you, yes, extensively. I got a loaner M5 for 2 weeks and had the E63 for 2 x 4 day stints and a couple of one dayers.

I have talked about it on here and the M5 forum.

In a nutshell, I think the M5 is probably, technically a better car and the better all rounder as Sedan/Saloon.

That being said I was more emotionally attached to the E63 and it was a Wagon/Estate which was more appealing.

My own personal views:

1. M5

Positives:
Fantastic speed, very linear, smooth ride.
Highly comfortable, more than the E63, was a joy to do short and long runs, the perfect daily that could double as long journey car.
Tech inside is superb, best on market including Tesla in my opinion

Negatives (not really negatives but I guess personal nitpicks)

Sound even with M Sport Exhaust was a bit dull
Speed was too linear, you got there fast without even knowing!
I thought the interior was OK, but not a £90k car class
Outside looked too like a normal 5 series
No Estate
Too iconic, I kept getting boy racers bothering me at lights!

E63

Positives:

Simply amazing engine, god I love it
Transmission/torque in lower gears - it just felt faster even though it wasn’t
Interior is gorgeous and more my taste
Exterior as a wagon I think looks awesome
Estate means family/practicality box is well and truly ticked

Negatives:

Ride comfort - nowhere near as good as the M5. I don’t know why Mercedes don’t make the air suspension more comfortable. It’s not the end of the world but almost was a deal breaker for me (I’ve switched seats to non performance)

Tech - it’s all there but not as intuitive as the M5. It was also slower than the idrive.

Options - in the U.K. you can’t get massage seats, rear heated seats or heated steering wheel which bugs me. Also no wireless Car Play which would have been handy

All in all, it was a close decision. My family wanted me to go M5 even though it would have been a pain practically wise. Ultimately I made a highly emotional decision, I simply smiled every time I drove the E63 and when I mean smiled, I grinned profusely and for that reason alone, I picked the E63 - life is too short!

The following users liked this post:
Amg63- (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Thanks thats a great and very informative review.

Did you find that in sedan form the E63s looked better on exterior than M5?

I dont know why but it seems like size of M5 looks much larger in proportions than the E63s, but inside i think they have about the same room.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:40 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by Amg63-
Thanks thats a great and very informative review.

Did you find that in sedan form the E63s looked better on exterior than M5?

I dont know why but it seems like size of M5 looks much larger in proportions than the E63s, but inside i think they have about the same room.
I think it was close between the 2 in the Sedan. If I’m really, really honest. I think if I had been looking for a sedan I would have picked the M5 with a daily regret about the engine and hankering for the E63, but as Vic pointed out with Quickburn’s, you can do something about the exhaust post purchase.
The following users liked this post:
Amg63- (08-27-2018)