W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Should I consider the E43 AMG a real AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2017 | 01:09 AM

18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
So what if amg keeps making softer cars and "dilutes" the brand? Who cares. In this open market someone will start catering to the purists ... OR you can continue to buy the purist-amg car like this e63S and realize it was built for a track and not to be a family haiker and grocery getter WITH a cush old school caddy ride

take your pick
LMAO, The AMG E63 was built for the track?? What track? Jarred from Subway's track??? That's what cracks me up about people thinking a 4600 pound car was built for the track. Peoples minds are blown up by videos on YouTube, because they have never been on a track or don't track on a regular basis. The E63 is a grocery getter that can be drag raced once in a while in cool air, that's it. Peter, I respect most of your posts, but to say the E63 is built for the track, come on man.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 08-09-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2017 | 01:40 AM

none
Originally Posted by c4004matic
In fact, no. Before Porsche started building other cars it was an orphan that bounced from one place to another. The Cayenne and other models saved it.
Might want to actually look into Porsche's history. It was the Boxster, and Toyota's input on producing the Boxster (TPM/Kaizen), that revived Porsche.
Old 08-09-2017 | 02:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
LMAO, The AMG E63 was built for the track?? What track? Jarred from Subway's track??? That's what cracks me up about people thinking a 4600 pound car was built for the track. Peoples minds are blown up by videos on YouTube, because they have never been on a track or don't track on a regular basis. The E63 is a grocery getter that can be drag raced once in a while in cool air, that's it. Peter, I respect most of your posts, but to say the E63 is built for the track, come on man.
no I'm not jaded by YouTube I promise you.

there is A LOT of complaining about comfort and luxury ride deterioration as the e63S progresses more towards a trackable super sedan than it progresses towards a luxury grocery getter. If people can't stand it in comfort mode what's the point of buying it?

95% of these Amg's will never see a track. My point is that this car has gravited apparently a solid step more towards purist amg than is has toward luxury smooth cruiser.

most buying this car realize it's not a svelte gtr or gt3, hell many have THOSE true track cars in their stables that also own the e63S.

people need to decide what they want out of this car; don't give up on me yet!

Last edited by PeterUbers; 08-09-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2017 | 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Originally Posted by gengar
No one is disputing that a company has to make money. The issue being discussed is how much compromise a company (or in AMG's case, a division of a company) is willing to inflict on its core customer base in order just to increase profits.

As I mentioned, Porsche was profitable without the junk SUVs/cars it sells now. Porsche was profitable before they decided to make the Cayenne. So it doesn't make sense at all to argue that Porsche needs the junk SUVs/cars in order to produce its core sportscars.

I have a lot of respect for AMG not least for coming out with cars like the AMG GT, which has a lot of features that Porsche has actually removed from its sportscars as it has watered them down and made them less driver-focused. I just don't want to see AMG going down the same road as Porsche.
Obviously you are not in business. A business' mission is to grow and produce better products and service. The product ratings show that Porsche produces a top tier product.

As far as the 911 is concerned, that car has been a work in progress since 1965. Each model is better than the last. I base my opinion on what I read and my experience of Porsche ownership. I have owned 8 Porsches since 1983.
Old 08-09-2017 | 02:21 PM

none
Originally Posted by petee1997
Obviously you are not in business. A business' mission is to grow and produce better products and service. The product ratings show that Porsche produces a top tier product.
I own several businesses, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion. As a fellow Porsche owner, I disagree that Porsche has objectively produced better products and services than it used to - but our difference in opinion shouldn't affect the veracity of facts that I have presented in the post you quoted (e.g., that Porsche was in fact profitable prior to introduction of the Cayenne). Nor should it open the discussion up to ridiculous personal assumptions like you have, for whatever reason, decided to make - and if you knew anything about me, even you would find completely ludicrous.
Old 08-09-2017 | 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Might want to actually look into Porsche's history. It was the Boxster, and Toyota's input on producing the Boxster (TPM/Kaizen), that revived Porsche.
Interesting info! I wonder how Toyota got in on the action. That must be in the 90's when the Boxter first came out.
Old 08-09-2017 | 06:42 PM

none
Originally Posted by otakki
Interesting info! I wonder how Toyota got in on the action. That must be in the 90's when the Boxter first came out.
Porsche's CEO at the time (Wiedeking) sought out Toyota consultation because Porsche production was so poor and inefficient at the time. To put it in perspective, Wiedeking later wrote that when he approached Toyota to adopt TPS, Porsche's faulty part rate was 1 per 100 while at the same time Toyota's was 1 in 200,000 (yes, that is a factor of 2000 difference) - now of course faulty parts is not one of the main points of TPS, but shows how different the systems and corporate cultures were at the time.

And yes, during the 90's; Wiedeking became CEO in 1993 and Toyota had first officially published TPS in 1992.

There are literally whole books written about Toyota's impact on Porsche and specifically 986 production, and we could probably fill a small library with all the literature about TPS/TQM/Kaizen and the impact it has had on business and industry, automotive or otherwise. Strongly recommend people read about it - the TPS principles are not only good lessons for business and perhaps life in general, but of particular interest to car fans.

Love that you are holding on to your 240SX btw, was having lunch with some friends today and the S13 came up randomly in conversation.

Last edited by gengar; 08-09-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2017 | 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
What's TPS?

Love that you are holding on to your 240SX btw, was having lunch with some friends today and the S13 came up randomly in conversation.
Yes, it's still fully oem and problem free, other than the dead headlight switches and the rust on the oem steel wheels and body from that 8-years period in NJ and New Orleans when my place had no garage. From time to time, I'm thinking of taking it to a shop to get it completely cleaned up and restored.
Old 08-13-2017 | 02:41 AM

none
Originally Posted by otakki
What's TPS?
Sorry, Toyota Production System. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Production_System

I also referenced TQM, Total Quality Management. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quality_management
Old 08-17-2017 | 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
10 things I noticed. Good and bad.

I wanted to point out a few things about the new E class. I had a loaner car for the past 3 days and noticed a few things about it. Yes it was an E 300, not a 43 but the things I noticed should be on the 43 and probably the 63 as well.
1. The car does fell bigger.
2. The rear doors though feel smaller. It felt more like trying to get into the rear of a CLS and having to duck your head to get into the rear.
3. The inside does look amazing but those 4 vents under the screen are strange and feel out of place.
4. The technology and ability to change things is overwhelming. There is so much to control, could it be to much? Although I still had similar problems with Carplay too.
5. It has considerably faster Internet connection. (On a side note and to be funny, I booked marked a bunch of BMW, Audi, and Porsche pages in the Web browser.)
6. The center volume control is horrible. It's touchy and doesn't react quickly enough to adjustments. Just give me a knob please.
7. The new smaller "antenna" on the roof is much nicer and doesn't look 80's anymore to me.
8. When the eco mode stops the car at a stop, you still have power steering which is nice, but eco still cuts itself back on anytime you change modes. Annoying!!
9. Even in this car I heard the rear wheels "thud" over bumps and cracks in the road. The car is smooth on flat pavement, but bumps, cracks, and potholes make the suspension jump and move around on the road. It feels unstable over rough roads. Yes, I noticed this a long time ago on 3 different 43s I've driven.
10. The headrest are nice! They are let like resting your head on a soft pillow. Huge improvement.
Ok, 11. I want a real gear shifter and not the flimsy stalk shifter.

Just my 2 cents. Take it as you wish about the new E class.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 08-17-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2017 | 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
10 things I noticed. Good and bad.

I wanted to point out a few things about the new E class. I had a loaner car for the past 3 days and noticed a few things about it. Yes it was an E 300, not a 43 but the things I noticed should be on the 43 and probably the 63 as well.
1. The car does fell bigger.
2. The rear doors though feel smaller. It felt more like trying to get into the rear of a CLS and having to duck your head to get into the rear.
3. The inside does look amazing but those 4 vents under the screen are strange and feel out of place.
4. The technology and ability to change things is overwhelming. There is so much to control, could it be to much? Although I still had similar problems with Carplay too.
5. It has considerably faster Internet connection. (On a side note and to be funny, I booked marked a bunch of BMW, Audi, and Porsche pages in the Web browser.)
6. The center volume control is horrible. It's touchy and doesn't react quickly enough to adjustments. Just give me a knob please.
7. The new smaller "antenna" on the roof is much nicer and doesn't look 80's anymore to me.
8. When the eco mode stops the car at a stop, you still have power steering which is nice, but eco still cuts itself back on anytime you change modes. Annoying!!
9. Even in this car I heard the rear wheels "thud" over bumps and cracks in the road. The car is smooth on flat pavement, but bumps, cracks, and potholes make the suspension jump and move around on the road. It feels unstable over rough roads. Yes, I noticed this a long time ago on 3 different 43s I've driven.
10. The headrest are nice! They are let like resting your head on a soft pillow. Huge improvement.
Ok, 11. I want a real gear shifter and not the flimsy stalk shifter.

Just my 2 cents. Take it as you wish about the new E class.
surprised about the rear seating being like a CLS to get in. After looking more closely at the design, its like every MB now is having more of that sloped almost coupish roofline in the back like the CLS has...

Nice for the look but bad for the practicality.
Old 09-01-2017 | 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
I have a CLS and the new E is much easier to get in plus a lot more headroom.