Sponsored by:

Questions on Designo/custom order as a first time MB purchaser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 BMW F80 M3 Sakhir Orange
Questions on Designo/custom order as a first time MB purchaser

Hey All - first post here at MBworld. I'm thinking about transitioning from Munich to Stuttgart for my next ride and I have a couple questions about custom orders.

My last 3 cars have been BMW, and my last two have been "BMW Individual" which is pretty dynamic in its ordering options. You can quite literally put in a request for just about any color in existence, and they will either deny it or tell you that its doable for anywhere up to 5k (there are special colors which are even more expensive). Any color that has been on any factory BMW before is generally accepted, except for some very special model specific M or launch colors which they will flat out deny.

I visited an SA here in NY yesterday, and he told me that there are standard colors and "Designo" colors, and unfortunately they still end up on a relatively short list.

In fact - he showed me the dealer order sheet for the 2018 E63s which apparently just came out, and I can confirm he said that pricing isn't available yet however orders can be taken at this time.

To be honest, I was really disappointed in the Designo selection. Looking at the E43 AMG build sheet online, the Designo interior and exterior colors that are "available" which he showed me are exactly the same, with the exception that there is a Matte Black "Edition 1" option available as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience custom ordering a color that is specifically NOT on the order sheet.

Something like this comes to mind:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-e63s-amg.html

Or this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...***-sedan.html

Anyway. . . I'm not trying to get super crazy with colors and would happily pick something from MB's palette, I just don't really go crazy over white, silver, grey, or black and that makes up a lot of the offerings.

Anyway - the reason for my switch stems from BMW not offering any more manual trasmissions and dumbing down their included service. Their lease rates are incredible, but due to my current situation I'm looking to finance which also totally opens me up to other options. Due to my job I'm 100% interested in Euro Delivery, and I had one of the best times of my life doing it with my f80 2 1/2 years ago.

I'm definitely custom ordering, and I'm definitely doing European Delivery since I end up in Europe a lot for work - Does anyone have experience with putting an order in with a code for a color that isn't on the spec sheet or something like that?

If I could really have my pick, that emerald green color is friggin awesome.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:50 PM

2003 E500
Can't speak to the Designo options but I believe that S-Class in your link #2 is actually Melanite Black Metallic, paint code 185/9185. I have it on my w211 E500 and it's great, looks black off-axis and deep green metallic under direct light. Here's another image from a nice w211 wagon, it was a rare color and looks awesome when well taken care of.

There's a new dark green metallic called Pedimont green, though from various photos it doesn't look as complex and rich as the Melanite Black. Curious if you can still get the Melanite Black on a new Benz, that would be very rare indeed.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 AM

That Melanite color is beautiful - I'd love to get something along those lines. They had a Piedmont green E class at the dealership: Its a bit more full on green than I'd like.

I will certainly inquire about Melanite!

Anyone have any more experience with true custom orders?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
As a former BMW customer you will know that there is Individual (expanded palette of paints, trims and merino leathers), and Individual Manufaktur (they can make anything you want from two tone flame paint finishes, paint to sample, invent a new color, create new trim out of snakeskin etc.).

With Mercedes it's similar but they don't have a name for advanced customization like BMW does and this means most dealers don't know how to do it.

Now - there is another issue which you have on both BMW and Mercedes vehicles. Designo and Manufaktur are not available usually at launch of a new model. The 2017 E Class didn't have Designo in the US market (the E300 has the off-the-rack designo options which are very limited, the E43 didn't have any designo options).

So with the E63, being a 2018 model, it is possible Designo may be available but I am not certain. Knowing Mercedes they may push it off a year.
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (03-05-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
As a former BMW customer you will know that there is Individual (expanded palette of paints, trims and merino leathers), and Individual Manufaktur (they can make anything you want from two tone flame paint finishes, paint to sample, invent a new color, create new trim out of snakeskin etc.).

With Mercedes it's similar but they don't have a name for advanced customization like BMW does and this means most dealers don't know how to do it.

Now - there is another issue which you have on both BMW and Mercedes vehicles. Designo and Manufaktur are not available usually at launch of a new model. The 2017 E Class didn't have Designo in the US market (the E300 has the off-the-rack designo options which are very limited, the E43 didn't have any designo options).

So with the E63, being a 2018 model, it is possible Designo may be available but I am not certain. Knowing Mercedes they may push it off a year.
Awesome thank you very much for the information its quite helpful. I'll be sure to let everyone know about the process once I go through with it. Bottom line is just to push the SA to put the requests out there regardless of his familiarity level.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by SinistrMinistr
Awesome thank you very much for the information its quite helpful. I'll be sure to let everyone know about the process once I go through with it. Bottom line is just to push the SA to put the requests out there regardless of his familiarity level.
Were you able to make any progress on this? I need to push this too since my wife wants the diamond-pattern quilted leather.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Here is a little more info...

This MBUSA link is a little dated, but it is related to designo customization:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/...signo#module-7

Part of the problem finding customization information is that Mercedes customization carries the same name as their normal high-end interior and paint options: designo.

If you read through that MBUSA link, it is easy to confuse the wording as either customization or just a definition of their high-end designo options.

I have attached two supporting designo documents (from 2007 and 2008). Here is an interesting quote from one of them:

The final document is a dealer order form for exterior and interior paint and upholstery samples (from 2013, MY14).

You can easily look at all of this information as just a means for dealers/customers to see what a particular option may or may not look like, but AFAIK the intent was to showcase Mercedes customization possibilities.

I am also really disappointed in the lack of designo options (particularly interior options) with the initial W213 E63 release (I would have already ordered, if this wasn't the case).

(One of the documents was too large to attach, here is the link: https://ragtop.org/mbbrochures/2009/...o_brochure.pdf)
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (03-05-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 03:17 PM

Were you able to make any progress on this? I need to push this too since my wife wants the diamond-pattern quilted leather.
No its only been a week - Nobody is going to be taking delivery for another 3-4 months. Pricing isn't official yet and "Designo" ordering isn't open yet.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vipershade
Here is a little more info...

This MBUSA link is a little dated, but it is related to designo customization:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/...signo#module-7

Part of the problem finding customization information is that Mercedes customization carries the same name as their normal high-end interior and paint options: designo.

If you read through that MBUSA link, it is easy to confuse the wording as either customization or just a definition of their high-end designo options.

I have attached two supporting designo documents (from 2007 and 2008). Here is an interesting quote from one of them:

The final document is a dealer order form for exterior and interior paint and upholstery samples (from 2013, MY14).

You can easily look at all of this information as just a means for dealers/customers to see what a particular option may or may not look like, but AFAIK the intent was to showcase Mercedes customization possibilities.

I am also really disappointed in the lack of designo options (particularly interior options) with the initial W213 E63 release (I would have already ordered, if this wasn't the case).

(One of the documents was too large to attach, here is the link: https://ragtop.org/mbbrochures/2009/...o_brochure.pdf)
Thanks a lot that's probably the most helpful info so far! Keep us all posted as you move ahead with your order - it sounds like you'll be a bit ahead of me just based on my own lease end timing. I would love to get the quilted interior seats too, my boss has them in his S63 coupe and they are gorgeous. I might be pricing myself out of my own range with Designo interior and exterior. . . The launch options are just really bland for my tastes. Black/Dark Brown/Beige interior options, on a 100k sports sedan??? Not even contrasting stitching? What gives?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Thanks a lot that's probably the most helpful info so far! Keep us all posted as you move ahead with your order - it sounds like you'll be a bit ahead of me just based on my own lease end timing. I would love to get the quilted interior seats too, my boss has them in his S63 coupe and they are gorgeous. I might be pricing myself out of my own range with Designo interior and exterior. . . The launch options are just really bland for my tastes. Black/Dark Brown/Beige interior options, on a 100k sports sedan??? Not even contrasting stitching? What gives?
It's interesting regarding stitching. In some photos I see deviated stitching and the white center marker on the wheel.

However in others it is missing.

The dealer ordering guide shows a more plain look.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 515 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
^could this have to do with CF interior trim option ?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
From the German configurator, it appears to be associated with the 561 AMG Black upholstery.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Vipershade
From the German configurator, it appears to be associated with the 561 AMG Black upholstery.
That's an interesting hypothesis. However if this is true, then the ordering guide is incorrect.

The stitching we are talking about is called top-stitching.

The US ordering guide only mentions top-stitching for the Launch Edition.

Also the US ordering guide is saying lower dash is black when you order Macchiato Beige or Nut Brown, and the photos in the same ordering guide contradict that too. It's a pretty shoddy ordering guide. Also the US ordering guide shows no white top-stitching with AMG Black.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 02-19-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
That's an interesting hypothesis. However if this is true, then the ordering guide is incorrect.

The stitching we are talking about is called top-stitching.

The US ordering guide only mentions top-stitching for the Launch Edition.

Also the US ordering guide is saying lower dash is black when you order Macchiato Beige or Nut Brown, and the photos in the same ordering guide contradict that too. It's a pretty shoddy ordering guide. Also the US ordering guide shows no white top-stitching with AMG Black.

Yeah, I saw that. I would go by the order guide when in doubt. However, there are a few videos that confirm the configurator output... Check this one at 22:41:
Old 02-21-2017, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I had asked my dealer to follow up with AMG about whether I could order a red Designo diamond-quilted leather interior for my wife's E63.

Here is the response:

Hello XXX

I was talking face to face today with my AMG Rep. that they not offer this interior option.

You can not special order this interior option.

I checked if you can order this option in Germany and they have the same interior option we have in the USA.

Sorry for the disappointment for you wife.

Buying a German Car from a German

Sincerely

XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
AMG Brand Ambassador
Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 PM

I had asked my dealer to follow up with AMG about whether I could order a red Designo diamond-quilted leather interior for my wife's E63.

Here is the response:

Hello XXX

I was talking face to face today with my AMG Rep. that they not offer this interior option.

You can not special order this interior option.

I checked if you can order this option in Germany and they have the same interior option we have in the USA.

Sorry for the disappointment for you wife.

Buying a German Car from a German

Sincerely

XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
AMG Brand Ambassador

Ah thank you for the input, also good to know. I greatly prefer the quilted seats but its not make or break for me in particular. I just want a light grey or a white interior personally and I'm 30 years old so I'm allergic to beige.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Ah thank you for the input, also good to know. I greatly prefer the quilted seats but its not make or break for me in particular. I just want a light grey or a white interior personally and I'm 30 years old so I'm allergic to beige.
Me too. I'm dumbfounded they don't offer red leather as an option. They have Bengal Red on the S-Class, and Cranberry Red on the C-Class, but no red for the E-Class.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E63s,Range rover vogue
It's interesting regarding stitching. In some photos I see deviated stitching and the white center marker on the wheel.

However in others it is missing.

The dealer ordering guide shows a more plain look.

Deviated stitching and the white centre marker comes only with S models and specifically only S-models with black interior. if you choose white or brown interior, you don't get deviated stitching or the centre marker.

The only other way you get deviated stitching is by edition one pack which comes with yellow stitching.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by gooner
Deviated stitching and the white centre marker comes only with S models and specifically only S-models with black interior. if you choose white or brown interior, you don't get deviated stitching or the centre marker.

The only other way you get deviated stitching is by edition one pack which comes with yellow stitching.
Wow that's really good info too, my SA definitely didn't know that bit (no fault of his).
Old 02-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E63s,Range rover vogue
Wow that's really good info too, my SA definitely didn't know that bit (no fault of his).
Yep and all black interiors come with dinamica in the seats.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by gooner
Yep and all black interiors come with dinamica in the seats.
Do all Macchiato Beige interiors come with an AARP card and a Friday night bingo invitation?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
I too find the color palette lacking, especially with the new C class line-up. You may want to check out ordering directly through Affalterbach Performance Studio, if it is possible...see link

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/personalize.php

BTW, I think an E63S Edition 1 wagon in the Night Black (Magno) would be killer.

Last edited by pbaylog; 03-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by pbaylog
I too find the color palette lacking, especially with the new C class line-up. You may want to check out ordering directly through Affalterbach Performance Studio, if it is possible...see link

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/personalize.php

BTW, I think an E63S Edition 1 wagon in the Night Black (Magno) would be killer.
I LOVE the edition 1 interior but I don't think I can stomach matte black. Too loud for my taste (this is coming from someone who currently drives an Orange M3 too ). I'm contemplating the wagon, and I think matte black on something that big would be really pushing it.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
You mean the black would be too Sinister for the SinistrMinistr?

Back on topic though - I believe the Performance Studio in Affalterbach, not to be confused with the Performnce Centers at certain dealerships offer additional services. A trip to the AMG Private Lounge and some digging there may help.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
We placed an order on Saturday for an E63. This will be my wifes car to replace her 2014 E63 that goes back in June. We sat in a new E300 with the full diamond stitched Designo interior. Looks about the same as the Designo interior in my S65. Nice interior but the E300 is a 4 cylinder! We drove an E43 with the Machiato interior, black headliner. The 9 speed does nothing but shift in S+, the car is fast and handles well. The Designo interior is not available in the E63. Best guess is not before the 2019 MY. As far as exterior there are paints labeled Designo, she picked one. I think it now just means it costs more.
We could have had any exterior color we wanted. Current production MB colors not listed for the E63 add about $5k. She was considering the Blue on the new Maserati Quattroporte. Total added cost for the non MB paint was estimated at $20K with delivery slipping from July to September. Fortunately that idea was dropped.
The order will be green in the MB system for a while, which means we can make changes. Guess is it will go red within about 6 weeks. As you all know, no pricing available yet. Hope this helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions on Designo/custom order as a first time MB purchaser