W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Question] Is anyone expensing the E63S as their company car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL350
[Question] Is anyone expensing the E63S as their company car?

Just curious... I've always wondered if we can expense a car like an AMG as a work car, or even as a car for a superstar salesman (incentives)?

We have about 15 company cars for some of our employees, but most are corolla's and what not.

I have 3 superstar salesmen (each one bringing over $15M CAD/year in revenue) and thought it would be nice to give them an AMG as a bonus company car.

I myself have one booked (stuck at port) but I paid it from my personal accounts.

I will ask our accountant but thought to see if any fellow business owners are having the same thinking here.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
You are a very generous boss.

Instead of giving your top sales dogs the car, maybe they feel more useful if you give them a luxury vacation (all expenses paid) for their families or just added onto their annual bonus cheque. Reason being, not all guys like or care about high performance cars at all.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by bobblehead
You are a very generous boss.

Instead of giving your top sales dogs the car, maybe they feel more useful if you give them a luxury vacation (all expenses paid) for their families or just added onto their annual bonus cheque. Reason being, not all guys like or care about high performance cars at all.
Personally speaking, I wouldn't trust a salesman who doesn't show what his worth is, including a fast car. But that's the car salesman mentality of me talking.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by helmsworth1
Just curious... I've always wondered if we can expense a car like an AMG as a work car, or even as a car for a superstar salesman (incentives)?

We have about 15 company cars for some of our employees, but most are corolla's and what not.

I have 3 superstar salesmen (each one bringing over $15M CAD/year in revenue) and thought it would be nice to give them an AMG as a bonus company car.

I myself have one booked (stuck at port) but I paid it from my personal accounts.

I will ask our accountant but thought to see if any fellow business owners are having the same thinking here.
Back when I was still working for a living, I worked for a company that would give it's top U.S. sales rep for the year a Ferrari to drive as a company car for the quarter. They leased the car from a Ferrari dealership in the area. The idea was to incentivize the other sales reps to step up their game and over-deliver on their quotas. The problem was the first sales rep was 6'5" and could barely fit into the car. Plus he didn't like "performance cars" as they consumed "too much precious fuel". He actually left the Ferrari in his driveway most of the time and drove his Toyota 99 percent of the time on sales calls. Kind of defeated the whole purpose of the motivational program. So since the company wasn't getting either the motivational or expected extra financial value out of offering a high-end car to the top performer (most of the other sales reps never even got to see it after the initial award), the company returned the car to Ferrari after the first year.

Even back then, there were LOTS of very strict IRS rules that had to be followed for the car to qualify as a legitimate business expense. That was in the early 2000's. The IRS rules have become much more restrictive since then with hard caps on the dollar value of the business vehicles. So definitely have your CFO do a deep dive into what the Canadian government has regarding business expenses of high-end vehicles. Also make sure the people you intend to reward with such a car will actually appreciate it.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I expense my 63S to my company
Old 09-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
1993 964 C2, 1992 FJ80 Land Cruiser, 1971 Chevy C10 Cheyenne.....
It looks like I'm getting an E63S Edition ONE as my company car....fingers crossed.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts
20 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 G63
I'm in sales and personally write my AMG mileage off and I'm a W-2 Employee, I would look at the difference in giving him a car/lease allowance vs a bonus on a car being taxed the hell out of it. Definitely consult your accountant! BTW, what type of sales and are you hiring, lol?
Old 09-16-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
Originally Posted by helmsworth1

Maybe you value an amg as a nice car they may not, or may even have other priorites than a nicer car. Frankly cash rewards is the key. Let them spend it where they most see fit.