Sponsored by:

handheld lowering module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:10 PM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Ok so I'm prolly going to buy this.

Just want to confirm how it works cause I don't even know how the oem air ride works.
I don't even know what the ride height button on the left does. #neverreadastinkingmanualandimnotabouttostartnow

Is it is from the factory, is it just a speed related thing or does the ride height differ depending on which driving mode one is in?
For example does the ride height adjust depending if one is in Comfort or Sport+ mode?

And if I understand correctly the module sets the desired ride heigh and the car still adjusts from that new baseline ... it does not set the new ride height and leaves it there no matter what. Do I have this right?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by soulsea

Just want to confirm how it works cause I don't even know how the oem air ride works.
I don't even know what the ride height button on the left does. #neverreadastinkingmanualandimnotabouttostartnow

Is it is from the factory, is it just a speed related thing or does the ride height differ depending on which driving mode one is in?
For example does the ride height adjust depending if one is in Comfort or Sport+ mode?

And if I understand correctly the module sets the desired ride heigh and the car still adjusts from that new baseline ... it does not set the new ride height and leaves it there no matter what. Do I have this right?
Call me, Ill answer it all....
Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 C63S AMG

Yes you are right, whatever height you choose is the new baseline. Therefore, going into various drive modes will raise and lower the car from that new baseline height.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:34 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by tonymiabmw

Are you happy with your purchase? I’m thinking of going this route with spacers ‘
Very! The first module he sent me had some glitches but, credit where credit is due, he tried at my convenience for hours to resolve the issue--we eventually made it work but he wasn't happy with the service and insisted that my money be refunded. I somewhat reluctantly accepted and acknowledged his commitment to a quality product by letting him know he can use my car as a guinea pig once he's identified a fix. Sure enough, 2 weeks or so later he contacted me to let me know he's shipped a new module with the fix at no cost. I pinged him when I got it, we went though various tests to help assure him it was now functional and it worked every single time. He still asked for no money but, he's a young engineer with a well-oriented moral compass and I now had a product worth paying for... so I insisted I pay and he accepted.

I used it again earlier to lower the car another 8mm. Sure enough, plugged it in, navigated the UX using the COMAND display and touch controller, started the engine and down she went. He's asking only $399... it's worth it.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ...16?_mwBanner=1
Old 04-05-2018, 11:39 PM

2018 AMG E63S

I spoke to renntech it does not raise to car to stock height at speed on the w213. He said only the older ones.
The Renntech module is obviously functional but, to my mind, it's quite literally daylight robbery. The cost of that OBD II dongle is probably in the order of 10s of dollars or less. Granted, there's an unknown element of R&D but still. The equivalent available from the guy on Ebay works perfectly at 1/4 the cost.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:40 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by limeypride
Very! The first module he sent me had some glitches but, credit where credit is due, he tried at my convenience for hours to resolve the issue--we eventually made it work but he wasn't happy with the service and insisted that my money be refunded. I somewhat reluctantly accepted and acknowledged his commitment to a quality product by letting him know he can use my car as a guinea pig once he's identified a fix. Sure enough, 2 weeks or so later he contacted me to let me know he's shipped a new module with the fix at no cost. I pinged him when I got it, we went though various tests to help assure him it was now functional and it worked every single time. He still asked for no money but, he's a young engineer with a well-oriented moral compass and I now had a product worth paying for... so I insisted I pay and he accepted.

I used it again earlier to lower the car another 8mm. Sure enough, plugged it in, navigated the UX using the COMAND display and touch controller, started the engine and down she went. He's asking only $399... it's worth it.
I couldn't agree with this more. His professionalism/communication and commitment to the ongoing quality of his product is A+.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
G
Maybe there's an updated version? I had some issues getting it to work on my car but eventually did. I wonder if he can update mine?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
So the new lower setting from the module is going to be the baseline- got that. So when you hit the raise car button on the left side, how much height is raised- 10mm?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:44 AM

2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by jdhertz11
Maybe there's an updated version? I had some issues getting it to work on my car but eventually did. I wonder if he can update mine?
Worth asking... ugh, now I'm concerned my positive intentions are going to put the kid out of business. I doubt he can update the module you already have so it'll need to be a new one.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:45 AM

2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by 2020
So the new lower setting from the module is going to be the baseline- got that. So when you hit the raise car button on the left side, how much height is raised- 10mm?
I've not measured it. I can, though, a little later.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 PM

G

Worth asking... ugh, now I'm concerned my positive intentions are going to put the kid out of business. I doubt he can update the module you already have so it'll need to be a new one.
Not looking for anything for free but mine was problematic from the beginning. Read my comments from when I received it originally.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:16 PM

2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by jdhertz11
Not looking for anything for free but mine was problematic from the beginning. Read my comments from when I received it originally.
For me, the original device worked twice out of perhaps 100 attempts. The issue was getting the COMAND display to present itself at all, once it did, everything was fine. The new units work every time.

I just spoke this him to suggest that he chime in. He asked me to let any of you that have his rev 1 unit that's not working to simply contact him via eBay and he'll replace it for free.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:59 PM

G
For me, the original device worked twice out of perhaps 100 attempts. The issue was getting the COMAND display to present itself at all, once it did, everything was fine. The new units work every time.

I just spoke this him to suggest that he chime in. He asked me to let any of you that have his rev 1 unit that's not working to simply contact him via eBay and he'll replace it for free.
Cool, just messaged him.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
f80 M3

Good customer service! He will have a lot of orders if he keeps up the support. I plan on ordering one from him very soon!
Old 04-06-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Mine is on its way ...

I think the way I'll set it up is obviously leave the factory and low settings alone, and set the custom to as low as possible.

The reasoning is that the only time I use the custom setting is when parked.

So with that in mind ... what is the lowest setting? And presumably if the car can't go that low it will just stop when it can't go any further down and stay there.

-----------------------------------

For those that are buying it he will accept $375 offers ... I don't know if he'll take less than that.

Last edited by soulsea; 04-06-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ...16?_mwBanner=1
Damn, now that's customer service. I would have sent him something no matter what after that type of service. If your reading this mbcansolutions, hope you look into making this compatible with the GLC43 (x253).
The following users liked this post:
limeypride (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 PM

2018 AMG E63S
Mine is on its way ...

I think the way I'll set it up is obviously leave the factory and low settings alone, and set the custom to as low as possible.

The reasoning is that the only time I use the custom setting is when parked.

So with that in mind ... what is the lowest setting? And presumably if the car can't go that low it will just stop when it can't go any further down and stay there.

-----------------------------------

For those that are buying it he will accept $375 offers ... I don't know if he'll take less than that.
I've not tested that. I only lowered it to my tastes, -22mm to begin with then to -28mm which is where she resides today--quite a bit bumpier on rough roads than -22mm. Raising the car (with the button I mean) raises it a lot to clear nasty pot-holes or car parks with steep exits/entrances.

My Individual or Comfort suspension (they're the same):

This is in Race:

This is raised with the button:
Old 04-06-2018, 08:47 PM

f80 M3
I've not tested that. I only lowered it to my tastes, -22mm to begin with then to -28mm which is where she resides today--quite a bit bumpier on rough roads than -22mm. Raising the car (with the button I mean) raises it a lot to clear nasty pot-holes or car parks with steep exits/entrances.

My Individual or Comfort suspension (they're the same):

This is in Race:

This is raised with the button:
So normally how much higher is comfort without the module? 28mm higher? This looks very doable.

Last edited by tonymiabmw; 04-06-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:54 PM

2018 AMG E63S

So normally how much higher is comfort without the module? 28mm higher? This looks very doable.
Right, it's been lowered -28mm so, yes, it's normal default ride-height is 28mm higher.

I don't understand, what looks very doable? It's definitely doable since you're looking at a photo of it '"doable'd" .
tonymiabmw (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 PM

f80 M3
Right, it's been lowered -28mm so, yes, it's normal default ride-height is 28mm higher.

I don't understand, what looks very doable? It's definitely doable since you're looking at a photo of it '"doable'd" .
I meant doable, drive wise. Should have said driveable lol. The comfort setting looks like more than enough to clear most steep driveways and parking lots without stressin. I’ve had much lower cars without scraping problems.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 PM

2018 AMG E63S

I meant doable, drive wise. Should have said driveable lol. The comfort setting looks like more than enough to clear most steep driveways and parking lots without stressin. I’ve had much lower cars without scraping problems.
Ohhhhhhhhhh, got it

As I'm sure you probably know, it's more about remaining suspension travel--the visual appearance is deceiving but, at this new ride height of -28mm, it's more sensitive than even my RS7 was and that had very little remaining travel since it was lowered using KW HAS springs atop Audi's DRC. So far, the AMG is livable, though... we'll see.
tonymiabmw (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:14 PM

f80 M3
Ohhhhhhhhhh, got it

As I'm sure you probably know, it's more about remaining suspension travel--the visual appearance is deceiving but, at this new ride height of -28mm, it's more sensitive than even my RS7 was and that had very little remaining travel since it was lowered using KW HAS springs atop Audi's DRC. So far, the AMG is livable, though... we'll see.
So it’s easy to bottom out if you are not slow over bumps?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:21 PM

2018 AMG E63S

So it’s easy to bottom out if you are not slow over bumps?
I won't go as far as saying "easy" but, yes, I've gone over sequential undulations on country roads--ramp to gully, etc.--and bottomed out on the latter with a scrape...
tonymiabmw (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Limey, was there a difference in ride quality between stock height and 22mm drop? Or mostly from 22 to 28?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:45 PM

2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by BC-2
Limey, was there a difference in ride quality between stock height and 22mm drop? Or mostly from 22 to 28?
Good question. Yes, there was but it wasn't unbearable... and I guess it makes sense that the ride gets progressively worse the lower you go... but the aesthetics... oh, it looks soooo good! It's all subjective but the stock drop was ridiculous; 22mm improved it no end but, after a week, it still wasn't where I wanted it to be (I'm probably contrasting it against my RS7) so I arbitrarily chose 6mm more. I like the look now but I'm paying a price in ride quality.

Last edited by limeypride; 04-06-2018 at 11:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by limeypride:
BC-2 (04-06-2018), tonymiabmw (04-07-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: handheld lowering module