W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon ceramics - terrible idea for a DD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Various
Carbon ceramics - terrible idea for a DD?

This question is really being posed for those with first hand experience. I've done oodles of research and am very familiar with the theoretical advantages and disadvantages of carbon ceramic vs the regular AMG brakes. That said, I'm least clear on noise - specifically squeal. I've heard some say all ceramics squeal, others say their ceramic are whisper quiet, and yet others say they sometimes squeal.

There are really only two reasons I like ceramics over the standard red brakes: aesthetics and no brake dust. I'll never track the car, and I realize they're expensive to buy and maintain (i.e. when they eventually need replacing); some say they may even negatively impact resale. Have also heard some say they need to be warmed up and so are not ideal for daily, leisurely driving. But my biggest concern: noise. I really would like to hear owners' opinions, or opinions of those who have experiences these brakes first hand. My questions are severalfold:

1. Do current generation Mercedes carbon ceramics squeal, squeak, or hum more than "regular" AMG brakes?
2. If yes, is that noise intermittent (influenced by many varying actors) or pretty much a constant at low speed/slow breaking (i.e. the ceramic brake way of life)?
3. If the brake noise on a standard AMG brake is a 1 out of 10 (in terms of frequency - i.e. happens very infrequently), what is the frequency of occurrence for carbon ceramics? Is it a 10 - all the time, a 7 - quite often, a 4 - not very often?
4. Would carbon ceramic brake owners recommend the brakes for a daily driver?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Some answers...

Originally Posted by Katkon
This question is really being posed for those with first hand experience. I've done oodles of research and am very familiar with the theoretical advantages and disadvantages of carbon ceramic vs the regular AMG brakes. That said, I'm least clear on noise - specifically squeal. I've heard some say all ceramics squeal, others say their ceramic are whisper quiet, and yet others say they sometimes squeal.

There are really only two reasons I like ceramics over the standard red brakes: aesthetics and no brake dust. I'll never track the car, and I realize they're expensive to buy and maintain (i.e. when they eventually need replacing); some say they may even negatively impact resale. Have also heard some say they need to be warmed up and so are not ideal for daily, leisurely driving. But my biggest concern: noise. I really would like to hear owners' opinions, or opinions of those who have experiences these brakes first hand. My questions are severalfold:

1. Do current generation Mercedes carbon ceramics squeal, squeak, or hum more than "regular" AMG brakes?
2. If yes, is that noise intermittent (influenced by many varying actors) or pretty much a constant at low speed/slow breaking (i.e. the ceramic brake way of life)?
3. If the brake noise on a standard AMG brake is a 1 out of 10 (in terms of frequency - i.e. happens very infrequently), what is the frequency of occurrence for carbon ceramics? Is it a 10 - all the time, a 7 - quite often, a 4 - not very often?
4. Would carbon ceramic brake owners recommend the brakes for a daily driver?

Thanks in advance!
Im on my first car with Carbon Ceramics. Mine have never once made a sound. I have friends with them (bmw and Porsche) and I’ve never heard them make noise either.

They are expensive and I’m not sure I would spend he money again ($13,750 up here in Canada) but I do track my car occasionally so I’m hoping to see some benefit.

My only issue is after coming out of the car wash the brakes are really poor for a push or two. Ceramics don’t like being wet. It’s easy though. Press the brakes 1-2’times and your fine. That’s it.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I have them on my wagon, no squeal and no dust.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
E63 2018
First time user and I have never heard any sound. I do agree with @orenlasko that after a car wash, they perform bad but it is just for few seconds.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Same, never a squeak and no dust.

Grip fine when cold (not that it gets that cold in San Diego, but I did a European Delivery and drove the car in Europe in sub freezing temps).

Same first push or two after being washed, fine after that.

But that can be a problem for normal brakes too. Back in my motorcycle racing days, in rain races, I would hold a bit of finger pressure on the front brake down the straights so I'd have some brakes into turn 1 and a few of the other turns.
The following 2 users liked this post by E634Me:
24Hours (04-20-2018), ronin amg (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Various
Curious: do they perform poorly when it rains, or only after a car wash?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Zero brake squeal on Ceramics; definitely have had some brake squeal on on all our MB steel brakes. Last S-Class was embarrassing at times.
I didn't have a choice on the brakes as they were part of the Edition 1 package but I am enjoying the lack of brake dust. Grip is strong in normal traffic and should be no issues in rain. MB is using automatic brake drying on their cars.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
This is good to hear as I have ordered the Carbons as well. For the most part, are most owners bedding their ceramics? Not sure where I can drive 100-25 mph 10 times in a row, or whatever some of the procedures suggest!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Gotic4u
First time user and I have never heard any sound. I do agree with @orenlasko that after a car wash, they perform bad but it is just for few seconds.
how do they do in the rain?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
I've got them on the wagon I've got coming in two weeks. I had them on my R8 and my SLS, neither made a single squeak. I'm A-OK paying the premium for CCBs based solely on how little brake dust they produce.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Mine were fine in the rain. Rained quite a bit for the two weeks we were in Europe, never had any problems - except getting used to the much better stopping power over my other cars

Never did any bedding in either.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:17 AM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
E90 M3
Have them on my Wagon and live where we get sub-zero temps to over 100, snow, rain, etc. never had any issues with their performance in any circumstance, always have the grip you'd expect. I haven't had the car wash issue any more than standard brakes have with a layer of soap residue or tire dressing or the like. Wear has been fine, nothing notable after 20k miles thus far. They do squeak occasionally, and in my case it's normally after many days of just stop and go driving and not getting them up to temp with some stops from higher speed. Feels like some material transfer because after a wash the sound goes away. FWIW, I did bed my brakes and feel like overall they are almost always quiet. Like the performance of iron rotors with aggressive race pads without the side effects of noise and a lot of dust.

I also have never seen any evidence or experience of this claim that they can be a negative on resale. That goes for MB, Porsche, BMW, Fiat... Quite the opposite in fact for E wagons as it is a very rare option. If you are comfortable with the cost go for it!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
This is good to hear as I have ordered the Carbons as well. For the most part, are most owners bedding their ceramics? Not sure where I can drive 100-25 mph 10 times in a row, or whatever some of the procedures suggest!
I did the McLaren CCB procedure and there is absolutely no difference between before and after...Not needed.
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Hah! I had the (mis)fortune of driving someone else's E63S sedan equipped with ceramics this past weekend in Toronto where there was plenty of uncleared snow, slush and standing water on the roads... and it was a rather scary experience because the brakes were wet pretty much the entire time. Yes, they are great around the track - not because of the increased resistance to fade (the steelies don't fade either) but because of the lower unsprung and rotational weight - but I chose to untick only that option on mine precisely because I use it year-round in slush and snow. After driving someone else's car with them on I feel completely vindicated for choosing not to go with them.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
E63 2018
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

how do they do in the rain?
To be honest, I didn't feel any difference between rains or no rain. I am in Quebec and we got lots of rain ad snow and the performance was same as dry hot weather.

I think that as long as you keep them hot (using it), it stays dry.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by E634Me
Mine were fine in the rain. Rained quite a bit for the two weeks we were in Europe, never had any problems - except getting used to the much better stopping power over my other cars

Never did any bedding in either.

Same... we had lots of rain in Switzerland, and some cold days (snow up in higher elevations by St. Gallan). The brakes could easily outperform the tires. I never had any noise... I cannot wait to finally have this car. Damn-near perfect in every way (for me).
ronin amg (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Have them on my every DD since 2007 (when I tried them on my then new 599 for the first time).
No going back to steel for me, just way too many benefits, esthetic, performance, no dust, no squeaks, better ride and handling (significant unsprung weight reduction, equal to 6 times same weight elsewhere in the car).
Expensive, yes, when you spend over a $100k already, you can afford another 7-8k too, better choice then some of these overpriced sound systems at the same price.

Last edited by absent; 04-20-2018 at 02:59 PM.
ronin amg (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:47 PM

2019 E63s
Thats weird

Originally Posted by Diabolis
Hah! I had the (mis)fortune of driving someone else's E63S sedan equipped with ceramics this past weekend in Toronto where there was plenty of uncleared snow, slush and standing water on the roads... and it was a rather scary experience because the brakes were wet pretty much the entire time. Yes, they are great around the track - not because of the increased resistance to fade (the steelies don't fade either) but because of the lower unsprung and rotational weight - but I chose to untick only that option on mine precisely because I use it year-round in slush and snow. After driving someone else's car with them on I feel completely vindicated for choosing not to go with them.
im in Toronto and drive mine in all weather, I was also out in the crapstorm last weekend as well. I have no issues. They work extremely well no matter what the weather. Only issue is when they get soaked in the car wash. That’s it for me. I love scaring the crap out of people who keep thinking I’m not going to stop at the intersection... these things haul you down fast and drama free... it’s nuts.
ronin amg (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
That's good to know. I did had to wade though about a foot of water and slush in a couple of places along the Eglinton LRT disaster and also the Bayview extension on Sunday night, and the next one or two stops afterwards caught me by surprise as the usual gentle amount of brake pedal pressure did not result in the usual deceleration rate... but yes, the rotors would have been completely immersed in the water, which wouldn't normally happen. I had CCs on the 991 and never had an issue with them, and I sometimes drove it at -20C.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 PM

2019 E63s
Yeah

Originally Posted by Diabolis
That's good to know. I did had to wade though about a foot of water and slush in a couple of places along the Eglinton LRT disaster and also the Bayview extension on Sunday night, and the next one or two stops afterwards caught me by surprise as the usual gentle amount of brake pedal pressure did not result in the usual deceleration rate... but yes, the rotors would have been completely immersed in the water, which wouldn't normally happen. I had CCs on the 991 and never had an issue with them, and I sometimes drove it at -20C.
they would if they got soaked which they did. The warm weather is here at last. F yeah! Cheers!