Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 E63s Loaded Wgn, No CF
No…quite frankly it’s worse.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 E53 AMG
Originally Posted by wgnlust
No…quite frankly it’s worse.
LOL, I just needed somebody to comisserate with!

I spend my days contemplating whether its Continental or Michelin. A/S or summers. My last experience with Michelin looked like this when I pulled them out for spring, they were done but I'd hoped to get a bit out of them. All four did this and the subsequent winters and summers have worn properly on a Jaguar XFR. I recognize any rational person would say there's a camber or suspension problem but there was a long list of people on Jag Forums suffering from this failure. To be clear, there were no threads when I put them away, they just sort of came apart in storage.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:28 AM

Received 365 Likes on 238 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Those look to have been over inflated slightly when in use, but I don't see anything I would consider caused by suspension problems.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 739 Likes on 516 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by TugboatBill
Those look to have been over inflated slightly when in use, but I don't see anything I would consider caused by suspension problems.
Agreed, it looks like an over inflation wear pattern. I also see what looks like excessive toe which wore the inboard shoulder down (where you can see the cords).

Last edited by Keith66; 05-02-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:44 PM

Received 365 Likes on 238 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
IDK. If it had excessive toe wouldn't the tread near the shoulder be worn more?. From my dumb high school days damage like that would come from the tire hitting the fender.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:56 PM

2020 E53 AMG
It does look like that on the pic, but relative to the wear bars it was wearing square.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:58 PM

2020 E53 AMG
IDK. If it had excessive toe wouldn't the tread near the shoulder be worn more?. From my dumb high school days damage like that would come from the tire hitting the fender.
Factory ride height, no spacers, stock size on the car. Never a fender touched.

It just seems impossible to me that the shoulder should look like that when the wear is reasonably even otherwise. In researching tires at the time I found that a lot of companies were introducing a shoulder reinforcement to stop the separation.
The following users liked this post:
Keith66 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 739 Likes on 516 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Most likely, yes. And possibly some sawtooth-like tread wear on that shoulder. I'm just guessing with little data to go off of. From looking at the tire, the camber looks good, so it only leaves toe or caster. Normal wear should probably not be as thin as it looks in that shoulder area in the pic so much that the cords emerged, but the tread itself did not. Who knows.

You make a good point, I've lost a couple of tires in the past that had a groove cut in them on the inboard shoulder from rubbing on a suspension part, but only when the suspension was compressed. Took me a while to figure that one out. But that was on a custom/wider wheel and tire setup.

Old 05-03-2024, 12:11 AM
SPONSOR

Received 146 Likes on 116 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by YYC53
Factory ride height, no spacers, stock size on the car. Never a fender touched.

It just seems impossible to me that the shoulder should look like that when the wear is reasonably even otherwise. In researching tires at the time I found that a lot of companies were introducing a shoulder reinforcement to stop the separation.
Yes - The reality is it’s all about OEM now only providing basic TOE - directional adjustment !

No longer Front Camber (or Caster) and no Rear Camber allowing to adjust / compensate for excess edge wear. Now one set Camber position - at showroom height.

Onus now back on owners to fund costly premature tire replacement.

It’s all to do with “ever increasing speed of new car assembly lines”. Still incorporating adjustability and having to set Camber and Caster IS NO LONGER AN OPTION !

With no adjustment to cater for excess edge wear through varying height or loads. Excess passenger side edge wear through higher cambered roads. Fitting wide profile tires or being able to compensate for curb knocks.

AMG PERFORMANCE…. YET NOT ABLE TO FINE TUNE ADJUST. Dial in extra Negative Camber for performance or TRACK DAYS (to reduce understeer - in the pursuit of hitting those corner apexes every time and allowing to go deeper into the corners with increased traction and braking response).

WE SAW THE NEED THEREFORE AND MANUFACTURE BOLT-ON (No special tools or time consuming need to remove control arms to install) Front CAMBER and CASTER. Rear CAMBER (and extra Toe) kits. Easily accessible and single wrench adjustable - direct on alignment rack UNDER LOAD.

K-MAC Front Caster bushes do away with the OEM large soft rubber bushes replacing with Mono ball / Self aligning. Allowing arms to still travel through their required suspension arcs but significantly improving Brake and Steering response !

SEE SPOILER RE TOTAL SYSTEM MANUFACTURED

Spoiler

AUDI to VOLVO - K-MAC Experience Of Resolving OEM Suspension Shortcomings Since 1964 !
Old 05-03-2024, 12:45 AM

2020 E53 AMG
Limited reading on XFR says toe only in rear. I would add that it's not impossi le that rear bushing wear didn't contribute...but the wear doesn't add up.

Interesting post on the trend.

This was a curious find..Crown Victoria caster/camber adjustment
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=0&vt=4&sim=11