Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another buyback/lemon? Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e63s
Forgot to mention they checked the compression in all cylinders. They also said the problem was escalated to Germany.

I'm not saying to avoid this car or MB in general. Just adding to the dialog and hoping someone comes up with an answer. I can't think of another car that checks all the boxes for me, hence my disappointment.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:35 PM

E63 s Wagon, Porsche 911 GTS and F-250 Diesel
My car spit out a CEL within 300 miles of owning it and I had the by now familiar option of leaving the car with the dealer for weeks on end while they searched for a problem neither the dealer nor MBUSA can identify. I chose not to leave my car with the dealer and so far I have not had a recurrence of the problem, but I hate the dread I feel driving the car that something will go wrong with it. I don't know what the percentage of these cars has the problem, but based on what I have read on these boards, the number is too high. AMGs are halo cars within a luxury company that charges a premium for premium service and this issue just should not happen without an aggressive response to correct it. I love my car, but it is unsettling that MBUSA has not provided more guidance or leadership on this issue. If they are not going to support their product better than this, why be a repeat customer?
Old 09-05-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63 AMGs
I just got my car back from the dealer. The buyback is still being processed but the car seems to be fixed....for now.
I have about two dozen pages of technician notes and fixes but long story short - complete swap of the full fuel injection system four times. Last time seemed to work however i have only put about 50 miles on it since it was picked up.

I am debating a 2019. I just love the car so much i may just hope they have the issue fixed between MYs.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63s
CEL now buy back approved

I had the same issue with a CEL - car was still ok, no limp mode etc. I fear this problem is very widespread. MBusa agreed immediately to a buy back after car spent 30 days in service. Am waiting for their third party conpany to propose an offer. Dealership followed exactly the same process as outlined above - change spark plugs, ignition coils, test injectors, send to Germany, await further tests... I have seen the data from the cylinders - not good... after this the engineer at MBusa said to check the turbos, the exhaust gasses, the transmission, I said buy the car back.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW 750Li, 2018 E63S AMG
MBUSA just approved to buyback or replace my car. I saw that some folks here had showstopper issues when dealing with the third-party vendor in negotiating the financials of the buyback. Just the thought of not getting a settlement check above-and-beyond one’s imagination in order to fully satisfy every single one of us who paid a 6-digit price for cars with fundamental issues, is absolutely ridiculous. Pro-rated??!!!

Can someone who went through this ordeal comment on whether in the end Mercedes stepped in to make things right? How was the negotiation? What were some of the presented options? Are they really trying to make it impossible for you to accept the buyback or not? Did they offer an upgraded replacement car (S63 AMG)? The vendor is supposed to call me within 5 days so I’m trying to find out as much as possible before they call. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2018, 04:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 e63s estate
MB would not replace my car. They did prorate me at almost 1.25 a mile with the first offer, I was able to get a second offer at another .60 a mile and was told vendor was not to go back for futher adjustments. Needless to say I am no thrilled.

Last edited by media636; 09-07-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
You guys sound like you lost your left kidney. It’s just a car and a high-depreciation one at that.

It’s likely one of 3 to 5 cars in the garage so I wonder how your life is disrupted by the car getting bought back.
Obviously, nobody is a winner in these scenarios but it’s not worth the drama you are creating.
Be nice to get a free ride but at 60 cents a mile, that makes it the cheapest use of an AMG I have seen
Old 09-07-2018, 05:24 AM

2018 e63s estate
Originally Posted by Wolfman
You guys sound like you lost your left kidney. It’s just a car and a high-depreciation one at that.

It’s likely one of 3 to 5 cars in the garage so I wonder how your life is disrupted by the car getting bought back.
Obviously, nobody is a winner in these scenarios but it’s not worth the drama you are creating.
Be nice to get a free ride but at 60 cents a mile, that makes it the cheapest use of an AMG I have seen
Right and I accepted the depreciation as I planned on keeping the car for some time. I had almost 15000 miles on the car since January, and 60 days of no use. If this is the best MB can do, it is very unlikely I come back in the near future. I was shocked when they said any replacement would be something I need to work out with dealer after the fact.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
G
I'll be able to share some details here soon but my deal is pretty good all things considered.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by media636
Right and I accepted the depreciation as I planned on keeping the car for some time. I had almost 15000 miles on the car since January, and 60 days of no use. If this is the best MB can do, it is very unlikely I come back in the near future. I was shocked when they said any replacement would be something I need to work out with dealer after the fact.
Thanks for the information​​​​​​, media636.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by jdhertz11
I'll be able to share some details here soon but my deal is pretty good all things considered.
I would appreciate any information you can share.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 AM

Yes, the World won’t stop if our AMGs are replaced or not but it’s a bit of a drama when you have to pay Mercedes (or the third-party vendor) to take away your car which had fundamental factory issues. For a happy customer experience I would expect a “sorry”, a full free upgrade replacement and some perks for the inconvenience of having to deal with a faulty car. Another option would be a padded refund check in case one opts, for good personal reasons, to buy a different car. Am I over reacting?
Old 09-07-2018, 07:40 PM

E63 s Wagon, Porsche 911 GTS and F-250 Diesel
What's your deal? If you have something to say, say it. If you can't say anything until your deal is done then wait until then.

Last edited by Yard Dog; 09-07-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Nobody. Cares.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pertplus:
izzy63 (09-07-2018), Yard Dog (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 PM

G
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Nobody. Cares.
Ehhh. Always so positive? I've been contacted by quite a few members who REALLY care! If it was costing you, you would definitely care...
Old 09-07-2018, 09:36 PM

G
Originally Posted by Yard Dog
What's your deal? If you have something to say, say it. If you can't say anything until your deal is done then wait until then.
I'll post my info publicly once my deal is complete. In the meantime feel free to send me your telephone number and I'll be happy to discuss with you privately.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ehhh. Always so positive? I've been contacted by quite a few members who REALLY care! If it was costing you, you would definitely care...
can you at least post videos of you rolling in and out of the driver seat of your wagon? And have the yakkity sax music playing in the background?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:46 PM

G
Originally Posted by Pertplus

can you at least post videos of you rolling in and out of the driver seat of your wagon? And have the yakkity sax music playing in the background?
Only if you post video of you acting like a person who doesnt have diarrhea of the keyboard. I understand that you are trying to be funny but not all of us care about your version of humor. Although I do respect your inability to control your impulsive behavior. I hope your wagon isn't affected by the CEL issues and that if it is that you don't lose your *** like some here have. In the meantime Im still open to discussing my specific case with you on the phone. Send your number.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only if you post video of you acting like a person who doesnt have diarrhea of the keyboard. I understand that you are trying to be funny but not all of us care about your version of humor. Although I do respect your inability to control your impulsive behavior. I hope your wagon isn't affected by the CEL issues and that if it is that you don't lose your *** like some here have. In the meantime Im still open to discussing my specific case with you on the phone. Send your number.
It’s not impulsive. I actually think about it before I troll you. Here’s my number: 867-5309.

and I’m trolling your insistence on posting things with absolutely no substance like “I’m going to keep my mouth shut...” like what’s the point of saying that? Who do you think cares??? No one Hertz.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

like, what is the point of posting this? What information or enjoyment does this provide anyone? Either share the details or don’t post. Are you trying to build suspense?

Last edited by Pertplus; 09-07-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:27 AM

G
At least you admitted being a troll and I'll call you tomorrow.Another buyback/lemon? Options?-photo843.jpg

Last edited by jdhertz11; 09-08-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by media636
Unrealistic expectations IMO. You expected a full price buyback on a high mileage car?
Just apply a glass half full approach. You just drove the car for 15k miles for a cost of $9k and get to unload it. Without that issue selling that car with 15k miles would have taken a $30k hit in depreciation. Just order a new car with the options you missed the first time and move on.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tirzaman

Yes, the World won’t stop if our AMGs are replaced or not but it’s a bit of a drama when you have to pay Mercedes (or the third-party vendor) to take away your car which had fundamental factory issues. For a happy customer experience I would expect a “sorry”, a full free upgrade replacement and some perks for the inconvenience of having to deal with a faulty car. Another option would be a padded refund check in case one opts, for good personal reasons, to buy a different car. Am I over reacting?
Don't know what you mileage was but yes, I think you are over reacting. Your must believe your inconvenience is worth quite a bit
Old 09-08-2018, 03:08 PM

2018 e63s estate
Unrealistic expectations IMO. You expected a full price buyback on a high mileage car?
Just apply a glass half full approach. You just drove the car for 15k miles for a cost of $9k and get to unload it. Without that issue selling that car with 15k miles would have taken a $30k hit in depreciation. Just order a new car with the options you missed the first time and move on.

No I expected a 130k car to be better manufactured, and MB to uphold it's promises of a higher ownership experience.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Jenny you forgot to include your area code . . .

My CEL came on again last night and this time stayed on. Car seems to be running OK. I'm hoping it will cycle off after a few more restarts.

Meanwhile I'm down in my garage looking for my code reader. Haven't used it in a while so will probably need to update the firmware to make sure it's got 2018 data.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another buyback/lemon? Options?