skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Of?
that "this is a simple misfire detection/sensitivity issue"
Old 10-14-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Wolfman
You seem to get excited here over nothing IMO. You are in Europe and they don't seem to have the issue over there so what gives?
you know for a fact there is no issue in Europe? I know for sure that in US complaints arrive on the Internet more easily than in Europe...
You can get solutions to almost any problem from US consumers/users while trying to get those from other countries could reveal a difficult task.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by tonecas
you know for a fact there is no issue in Europe? I know for sure that in US complaints arrive on the Internet more easily than in Europe...
You can get solutions to almost any problem from US consumers/users while trying to get those from other countries could reveal a difficult task.
MB & AMG forums are international and while the majority of users are in the US, there are plenty of active enthusiasts around the world. Those are also more likely to actually pay attention to CEL's in the first place... Only AMG will know for a fact but "to me" the absence of any complaints anywhere else is a good start.

That said, I don't overthink this. For all I know, one can enjoy a flawless AMG with zero issues until some drunk idiot runs into it and totals it. Stuff happens...
If you are too worried, get something else or wait until you are ready to take the leap. But don't get paranoid about potential issues; there are plenty of people enjoying these cars every day and every car of every brand will have its share of problems/nuisances. Problems have a tendency to be magnified on these forums and I would be surprised if there is a large number of E63s that get bought back. After all, nobody ever bothered to start a count here.
F90 M5 owners were compiling lists with build numbers two weeks into the issue.

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-15-2018 at 01:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
E 63 S Wagon
I'm a little late on the Volvo V90 discussion but wanted to chime in.

I detailed in another thread how I went from looking at an E63 Wagon to the Volvo, so I won't rehash it all here. The short version - finances changed.

Anyway, I settled - and I mean settled - on a V90 Cross Country, the T6, with the Polestar Tune. It's a $70k MSRP that they push out the door for $59k. And there's a reason for that. Yes, it's gorgeous. Yes, the interior is wonderful. However, the engine just doesn't do it for me, and if you're an enthusiast, it wouldn't do it for you either. It's a technical marvel...300+ HP and lb-ft from a 2 liter 4, both turbo and supercharged. But, it never, ever, ever, feels as powerful as a silky 6 (to say nothing of the E63's engine...), and it also sounds uninspiring (if not also sometimes cheap...like an old Subaru). If I had to do it over again, and again had to pass on the E63S Wagon, I would've instead "settled" on the E400 Wagon and stretched to make it happen.

I've had the Volvo for 10 months, 11k miles. If I could get out of the lease yesterday I would. Unfortunately Volvo has a strict no lease-transfer policy

I reeeeeally want to love the car. I cannot.
tonecas (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Joe you might wanna watch your *** posting tips documents with your D7 on them. Don't wanna see you get in any trouble

tonecas (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Joe you might wanna watch your *** posting tips documents with your D7 on them. Don't wanna see you get in any trouble
Yeah I thought about that, but in reality, what can happen? I've never seen anything saying we can't post this docs, they are copyrighted but i'm not claiming them. Can't do **** with my D7 without a password, especially the new system that logs you out every 15 min.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by E63guy
I'm a little late on the Volvo V90 discussion but wanted to chime in.

I detailed in another thread how I went from looking at an E63 Wagon to the Volvo, so I won't rehash it all here. The short version - finances changed.

Anyway, I settled - and I mean settled - on a V90 Cross Country, the T6, with the Polestar Tune. It's a $70k MSRP that they push out the door for $59k. And there's a reason for that. Yes, it's gorgeous. Yes, the interior is wonderful. However, the engine just doesn't do it for me, and if you're an enthusiast, it wouldn't do it for you either. It's a technical marvel...300+ HP and lb-ft from a 2 liter 4, both turbo and supercharged. But, it never, ever, ever, feels as powerful as a silky 6 (to say nothing of the E63's engine...), and it also sounds uninspiring (if not also sometimes cheap...like an old Subaru). If I had to do it over again, and again had to pass on the E63S Wagon, I would've instead "settled" on the E400 Wagon and stretched to make it happen.

I've had the Volvo for 10 months, 11k miles. If I could get out of the lease yesterday I would. Unfortunately Volvo has a strict no lease-transfer policy

I reeeeeally want to love the car. I cannot.
Thanks for the info, thats kinda what I've been reading in reports what you said about the Volvo. This video is pretty good
They seemed to like the car. I wonder if you might try doing something with the exhaust to make it sound less buzzy and maybe a tire change to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports plus 4 if you currently have the Pirelli tires.
E63guy (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Back to topic though, I do feel like my car is a ticking time bomb with this check engine light issue possibly cropping up at anytime. I sure hope Benz figures out something soon and will put out some kind of TSB or something. Not very reassuring that nobody at the dealer I go to in Rhode Island knows anything about this issue. I'll see if they know anything about it when I get back to my Florida dealer. Looks like I will be doing the majority of my Service work there as after being charged twice for Balancing the rear wheels on my car because of the dealers mistake of balancing them wrong the first time when I bought new rear tires a couple weeks ago. I'm not a real happy camper with them here in Rhode Island at Viti Mercedes now.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
E 63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Thanks for the info, thats kinda what I've been reading in reports what you said about the Volvo. This video is pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8d-J622s0&t=381s They seemed to like the car. I wonder if you might try doing something with the exhaust to make it sound less buzzy and maybe a tire change to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports plus 4 if you currently have the Pirelli tires.
If I weren't leasing, I'd try some of those things. Don't want to pour $ into those kinds of things at this point though I appreciate the suggestion.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 552 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Back to topic though, I do feel like my car is a ticking time bomb with this check engine light issue possibly cropping up at anytime. I sure hope Benz figures out something soon and will put out some kind of TSB or something. Not very reassuring that nobody at the dealer I go to in Rhode Island knows anything about this issue. I'll see if they know anything about it when I get back to my Florida dealer. Looks like I will be doing the majority of my Service work there as after being charged twice for Balancing the rear wheels on my car because of the dealers mistake of balancing them wrong the first time when I bought new rear tires a couple weeks ago. I'm not a real happy camper with them here in Rhode Island at Viti Mercedes now.
Well, it's finally happened. My first CEL this morning! Car was shaking under mild acceleration and basically had lost power. I stopped at a light, shut down, and then restarted the engine .The CEL went away. Drove to the dealer, read out the ME codes as misfire on cylinders 1 and 6! Now what? The dealer wants the car for a week to run diagnostics but didn't sound too hopeful resolving. The mileage on the car is 7699, production date is 11/17 3rd decade. Obviously cylinders 1 and 6 were not firing at all until I restarted the engine, so this was not just a random misfire. I suppose that that injectors for those cylinders were shut down for the duration to prevent fuel wash of the cylinder walls.

Last edited by HBerman; 10-16-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Sounds really similar to mine. My mileage was a bit over 8000 when I started getting them, my car was built 10/10/17. Usually no symptoms, but occasionally the real misfires as you described.

If they only have it for a week you'll be lucky. Once they start, they have to do some cold start and drive cycles, and log data and they can only do two per day. Then there's the response time from MB and the 5 or 6 hour time zone difference for feeding back the next check they want the tech to perform.

Since the service I've gone about 300 miles after having the car returned and fingers crossed, no CEL so far.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HBerman
Well, it's finally happened. My first CEL this morning! Car was shaking under mild acceleration and basically had lost power. I stopped at a light, shut down, and then restarted the engine .The CEL went away. Drove to the dealer, read out the ME codes as misfire on cylinders 1 and 6! Now what? The dealer wants the car for a week to run diagnostics but didn't sound too hopeful resolving. The mileage on the car is 7699, production date is 11/17 3rd decade. Obviously cylinders 1 and 6 were not firing at all until I restarted the engine, so this was not just a random misfire. I suppose that that injectors for those cylinders were shut down for the duration to prevent fuel wash of the cylinder walls.
Oh wow. So sorry to hear. I guess the walls are closing in on my car. I have the feeling I’m next. I’m just about to do a 3 day drive to Florida. I guess I’ll turn off the Eco mode. That will lower my chances of it happening on the trip especially in stop and go traffic. I think from now on I’m gonna get in the habit of turning off that button every time I start the car. I’m just trying to get my car to go as long as possible before this issue crops up. Well I guess if it happens better happening I. Florida. The dealers there seemed better equipped to deal with this sort of thing. Here in Rhode Island I cant even get wheels balanced properly at the dealer. I feel bad for you guys who have had this issue. I really don’t want all kinds of people test driving my car. You almost know they are not gonna go easy on it. As strong as I was trying to be about this issue the thought is in the back of my mind just trading this car in and not having to deal with all the non sense I know more than likely I’ll have to go through.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
Don't panic just yet. I had an event like this back in July, around 1,500 mi ago. It occurred while the car was in P, after doing a 300mi trip flawlessly. I turned the car off then on again, the CEL went away. I have not had a recurrence since. I did not take it to the dealer.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bibenstein
Don't panic just yet. I had an event like this back in July, around 1,500 mi ago. It occurred while the car was in P, after doing a 300mi trip flawlessly. I turned the car off then on again, the CEL went away. I have not had a recurrence since. I did not take it to the dealer.
thanks for the info. Good to know. I’m just hoping my car continues drivable from Rhode Island to Florida. I don’t feel like getting stranded halfway in between with my biking things and tennis gear in the car. I was thinking that since my car has made it check engine light free fore over 12k miles that out of the woods. I’m really not thinking that way anymore.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the info. Good to know. I’m just hoping my car continues drivable from Rhode Island to Florida. I don’t feel like getting stranded halfway in between with my biking things and tennis gear in the car. I was thinking that since my car has made it check engine light free fore over 12k miles that out of the woods. I’m really not thinking that way anymore.
The issue is that if you get a recurring condition, then the CEL will not extinguish and the car may enter limp mode. Not the best thing to happen on I-95 at night in the middle of nowhere. My CEL did not happen when I started the car, but occurred at a traffic light about 1 mile from my home. Fortunately, it cleared after I restarted the engine, but suppose that it didn't. Then what? As I previously posted, I feel like I'm driving a ticking bomb waiting to go off when I least expect it. My dealer has no clue how to resolve, AMG has no clue how to resolve (dealer had two other E63S with the same issue in which they changed our everything that Germany suggested and still the CEL came back after 300 miles in one). If your car goes into limp mode while you are on the interstate and need immediate power to merge into traffic, well, you know what the result might be. This CEL problem has been manifesting itself for at least 4 months with no permanent resolution in sight. I'm depressed!
tonecas (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bibenstein
Thats really telling me the limits are too tight in the software, the slightest thing trips a check engine light it seems. I dunno enough about modern ECM software to know, but can the limits be opened up by a custom tuner doing a tune on the vehicle? Joe? It would be great if a tune is the answer to this whole situation, seems like we can't really count on MB. I know I'm probably over simplifying things here, I've already had about ten theories that proved not to be true.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:50 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
it seems in Germany this CEL issue is happening also...

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/nach...54.html?page=4
Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
What a mess
Old 10-16-2018, 11:21 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0

basically, the guys are saying that MB-AMG is aware of the problem and will provide a software fix. It should have come in August/September but still nothing...

ignition coils, spark plugs, injectors, even fuel type has been tried but issue still comes randomly.

Last edited by tonecas; 10-16-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What a waste of man hours and parts replacing all this stuff that was probably good as new not to mention all the inconvenience of all the customers.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

For reference, the thread is not about the CEL. Buyback of an E63 for oil use. One member had discussed a cell issue. As you stated, an updated engine software was supposed to be the solution. The notion is that the CEL is triggered when certain parameters come together. Also a discussion about fuel as well.

What I find interesting is that all issues I am reading about relate to a huge waste of time for owners since MB service (in the US) either replaces random parts and engages in long-term garage visits for repeat testing. Which appears to be more or less just a data gathering exercise.
The engines seem to run normally after the engine is stopped/started the error is cleared (and randomly re-appears) and with no damage occurring in any way.

I know it may sound reckless to some if I say this but why bother bringing the car in if nothing gets done that fixes the core issue. If a CEL is triggered by an occasional, non-destructive software error, why risk that techs take the engine apart for no actual reason and non-conclusive outcome...

Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
i don't agree. if i see a CEL in any car i will take it seriously. I'm not an engineer and i surely will not risk it with an high tech car like this. more so when in several cases the CEL leads to limp mode.

the fact that MB-AMG engineers are dismantling the engine and trying different solutions shows that they are clueless about the problem, and that is worrisome. they basically are fishing for a solution. it seems after all the experiences and data analysis, and the randomness in the occurrences, they are coming to the conclusion that this is a software issue. but this also doesn't make me more at ease. i don't trust car manufacturers. if a problem is not that widespread they will avoid recalls and could resort to software updates that can limit the power/performance to some extent.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I had tried resetting the CEL with a code reader a couple of times, but when it kept returning and when the car occasionally had real misfires that I could feel, at that time I figured the car needed to go in to have the issue documented - and hopefully addressed.

While the car always ran OK after restarting, it would have sucked big time if there did turn out to be a real problem with it and MB said, oops, warranty voided because you ignored the CEL.

If, heaven forbid, the problem keeps recurring, there is now also a record of when it started happening should I have to go through the buyback process.

I strongly hope the problem is fixed for good, or that it wasn't really a problem in the first place and a future software update adjusts the limits so that the CEL only trips when there are real issues.

We use tools in our designs to do sensitivity analysis to find edge conditions where stuff like this can happen. All parts are in spec and the design works well when most parts are performing near the mean, but when certain parts are functioning in spec but near the edge of limits at the same time a different part is near limits in another direction you can find your system now doesn't perform to spec as a whole. Sometimes parts from one vendor work OK but not from a second source - even though they're both claiming the same spec and form, fit, and function.

Fingers crossed MB will figure it out - though I'm kind of worried given their in ability to correctly do unit conversions properly between metric and US units in the users manual . . .
Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E634Me
I had tried resetting the CEL with a code reader a couple of times, but when it kept returning and when the car occasionally had real misfires that I could feel, at that time I figured the car needed to go in to have the issue documented - and hopefully addressed.

While the car always ran OK after restarting, it would have sucked big time if there did turn out to be a real problem with it and MB said, oops, warranty voided because you ignored the CEL.

If, heaven forbid, the problem keeps recurring, there is now also a record of when it started happening should I have to go through the buyback process.

I strongly hope the problem is fixed for good, or that it wasn't really a problem in the first place and a future software update adjusts the limits so that the CEL only trips when there are real issues.

We use tools in our designs to do sensitivity analysis to find edge conditions where stuff like this can happen. All parts are in spec and the design works well when most parts are performing near the mean, but when certain parts are functioning in spec but near the edge of limits at the same time a different part is near limits in another direction you can find your system now doesn't perform to spec as a whole. Sometimes parts from one vendor work OK but not from a second source - even though they're both claiming the same spec and form, fit, and function.

Fingers crossed MB will figure it out - though I'm kind of worried given their in ability to correctly do unit conversions properly between metric and US units in the users manual . . .
My CEL came back today after the technician reset it the day before. I was told not to bring the car in for service as all it would be doing is sitting on the lot collecting dust. I called MBUSA technical support and lodged a formal complaint on the lack of engineering response for the CEL issue. They also opened an executive response case in conjunction with my issue. I was also told to just keep driving the vehicle as long as it was running properly. This is my 10th Mercedes that I've purchased and it might just be my last after all of this is finally settled.
tonecas (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HBerman
My CEL came back today after the technician reset it the day before. I was told not to bring the car in for service as all it would be doing is sitting on the lot collecting dust. I called MBUSA technical support and lodged a formal complaint on the lack of engineering response for the CEL issue. They also opened an executive response case in conjunction with my issue. I was also told to just keep driving the vehicle as long as it was running properly. This is my 10th Mercedes that I've purchased and it might just be my last after all of this is finally settled.
ya I don’t blame you. Sounds like they are not handling things right. Sounds like how Viti Mercedes’s would handle this for me if I had the light come on. The best or nothing. I’d take nothing and save the 116 grand lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RIP 2018 E63 - Lemon Law Buyback Completed