W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

RIP 2018 E63 - Lemon Law Buyback Completed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2018 | 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I thought I read somewhere people had injectors replaced and the CEL came back ...
Yes, that's what I understood. Also, my dealer told me that changing the injectors did not fix the cars that had the CEL. If MB knew it was the injectors, then why go through the excercise of changing coils and plugs too.
Old 10-28-2018 | 02:03 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
guys, this is not solved with changing injectors. there has been several hardware fixes and none seems to solve it, or when it solves it can be different type of "fixes" and many times the CEL comes again.

the best guess points to software issues with high sensitive sensor configurations and maybe connected to some hardware issue, but in essence more related to software.
Old 10-28-2018 | 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I'm always in the market for a new e63S so I've been asking my dealer about resolutions to this issue and the SM said he's not seen one case ... that sounds like a crock of crap.... they told me same thing when I was having trans issues in 2014... I was the "solitary" "isolated" case ... then I made them take back two cars

looking forward to this being resolved as I'd love to be in a relatively trouble free w213amg soon
Old 10-28-2018 | 08:08 PM

535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by HBerman
Yes, that's what I understood. Also, my dealer told me that changing the injectors did not fix the cars that had the CEL. If MB knew it was the injectors, then why go through the excercise of changing coils and plugs too.
I believe the injectors involve a lot of labor/cost. Yes they tried coils and software reset before they did the injectors on my car.
Old 10-28-2018 | 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
The Service dept I was going to in Rhode Island said they'd never heard of the issue either and looked at me like I was a trouble maker for even bringing it up.
Old 10-28-2018 | 11:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
The Service dept I was going to in Rhode Island said they'd never heard of the issue either and looked at me like I was a trouble maker for even bringing it up.
same with my dealer in naperville IL
Old 10-29-2018 | 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I'm always in the market for a new e63S so I've been asking my dealer about resolutions to this issue and the SM said he's not seen one case ... that sounds like a crock of crap.... they told me same thing when I was having trans issues in 2014... I was the "solitary" "isolated" case ... then I made them take back two cars

looking forward to this being resolved as I'd love to be in a relatively trouble free w213amg soon
I wonder if the lack of a software resolution on the 2018 E63S is preventing the release of the 2019 vehicles from the VPC. It would be logical since emissions certification is required. Random CEL without a root cause diagnosis and a certified fix would seem to be sufficient for shipment hold.
Old 10-29-2018 | 01:34 PM

2015 Toyota Corolla LE
I wonder if the lack of a software resolution on the 2018 E63S is preventing the release of the 2019 vehicles from the VPC. It would be logical since emissions certification is required. Random CEL without a root cause diagnosis and a certified fix would seem to be sufficient for shipment hold.
That would assume that every car produced was throwing a CEL; and if every car was throwing a CEL - production would have stopped long ago. Also, there are 2019 E63's sitting in European and Russian dealer showrooms as we speak - they must have passed a similar certification process.
Old 10-29-2018 | 03:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by s26singh
That would assume that every car produced was throwing a CEL; and if every car was throwing a CEL - production would have stopped long ago. Also, there are 2019 E63's sitting in European and Russian dealer showrooms as we speak - they must have passed a similar certification process.
arent euro emissions standards different than ours?

if a certain percentage are throwing CELs perhaps Benz calculates the cost of the warranty work and determines it's too expensive to release the cars until a fix mitigates the problem

Last edited by PeterUbers; 10-29-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2018 | 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by s26singh
I didn't say production stop, only shipment stop. The cars can keep piling up at the VPC until the software fix is tested and released. The CEL is most probably related to US emissions and ECO start/stop. If there is no determining scenarios that can be reliably reproduced and shown to be corrected by the software fix , the certification for US ship might be withheld. BTW, the S AMG are suffering with the same issue. Some have already been bought back.

Last edited by HBerman; 10-29-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2018 | 04:46 PM

2015 Toyota Corolla LE
I didn't say production stop, only shipment stop. The cars can keep piling up at the VPC until the software fix is tested and released. The CEL is most probably related to US emissions and ECO start/stop. If there is no determining scenarios that can be reliably reproduced and shown to be corrected by the software fix , the certification for US ship might be withheld. BTW, the S AMG are suffering with the same issue. Some have already been bought back.
All cars with the family of M177 engines potentially are at risk, including the M176 and M178 engines.
Old 10-29-2018 | 06:37 PM

535XIT, E63S
I believe the 2018 & 2019 are the same exact engine so I would not think that they would need epa testing again?
Old 10-29-2018 | 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by V70cat
I believe the 2018 & 2019 are the same exact engine so I would not think that they would need epa testing again?
Well, if the engines are not reliably running in conformance with previous tests, then the vehicles can be forced to recertify. Think about the VW case with adulterated software which ran only when the EPA testing was happening, were forced to redo the tests and to pay significant fines. The EPA certifications on emissions are for 80,000 miles. Look at the separate warranty statements for emissions correction.
Old 10-29-2018 | 10:22 PM

2018 Lunar Blue E63S
Not sure the eco start/stop has anything to do with it. My three CELs were all cold start. I don’t think the eco function is on until the car warms up a bit. Unless somehow the four cylinder mode harms the ones in the cylinders that deactivate. Do 1 and 6 turn off?

Old 10-29-2018 | 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In 4 cylinder mode cylinders 1,7,4,6 are turned off. Almost all of the CEL codes show cylinders 1 and 6 to have misfires. Too coincidental in my opinion. Since the software is controlling the valves it is probably a timing issue. The 4 cylinder mode ONLY works in ECO mode.
Old 10-30-2018 | 08:05 AM

535XIT, E63S
Well, if the engines are not reliably running in conformance with previous tests, then the vehicles can be forced to recertify. Think about the VW case with adulterated software which ran only when the EPA testing was happening, were forced to redo the tests and to pay significant fines. The EPA certifications on emissions are for 80,000 miles. Look at the separate warranty statements for emissions correction.
That may be true but that would take action by the EPA. I am not aware of such action.
Old 10-30-2018 | 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
In 4 cylinder mode cylinders 1,7,4,6 are turned off. Almost all of the CEL codes show cylinders 1 and 6 to have misfires. Too coincidental in my opinion. Since the software is controlling the valves it is probably a timing issue. The 4 cylinder mode ONLY works in ECO mode.
The way Camtronic works, it's either on or off, it can't be in between, so there's no way the cylinder is partially opening the valves or whatever.

It's something with the injectors and software. PTSS is having us move injectors around and give them the coding values on the new injectors before we install them, they know something, they just aren't sharing yet.
Old 10-30-2018 | 11:38 AM

2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The way Camtronic works, it's either on or off, it can't be in between, so there's no way the cylinder is partially opening the valves or whatever.

It's something with the injectors and software. PTSS is having us move injectors around and give them the coding values on the new injectors before we install them, they know something, they just aren't sharing yet.
My buddies W205 C63 AMG has had 3 CEL events since taking delivery in 2017 - all 3 times it was cylinders 5 and 6 misfire. That car does not have cylinder deactivation. First time they changed coils, second time changed spark plugs, third time and most recently (June), they changed injectors. Car has had no issues since then, it seems the new injectors fixed the problem.
Old 10-30-2018 | 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So all of the steps for intake leaks, coils, plugs are not the answer, correct? I experienced inconsistent 4 cylinder operation before the CEL happened. First the car would never go into 4 cylinder mode at any time during a particular drive and the engine would not shut down when stopped at a light. Restarting the engine after 30 minutes restored the Eco operation again. The CELs happened the next day. I've kept the Eco off since the CEL was reset again and there have been no further occurrences. I hope that AMG makes a determination soon. I'M really not interested in having the engine disassembled to replace injectors.
Old 10-30-2018 | 01:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

For those of you who knew this was an ongoing issue would you do it all over again and buy this car (given there is still not a definitive solution)?
Old 10-30-2018 | 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
So all of the steps for intake leaks, coils, plugs are not the answer, correct? I experienced inconsistent 4 cylinder operation before the CEL happened. First the car would never go into 4 cylinder mode at any time during a particular drive and the engine would not shut down when stopped at a light. Restarting the engine after 30 minutes restored the Eco operation again. The CELs happened the next day. I've kept the Eco off since the CEL was reset again and there have been no further occurrences. I hope that AMG makes a determination soon. I'M really not interested in having the engine disassembled to replace injectors.
Those are the first steps they give in any misfire troubleshooting anyway. There have been some cracked manifolds on cars but largely I don't believe there are air leaks causing this. The plugs have to come out to look in the cylinders anyway so plug/coil replacement is normal (coils move from front to rear pairs, not replaced by default). Injector replacement isn't major surgery, just more brackets and things over them but even the coils are hard to get to. Having done them on the S63, it's not difficult, but it is a lot of small things to move. Warranty time is almost 4 hours per side to remove the fuel rail. It only pays 3 hours to remove the dash panel, so that's a lot for warranty work.
Old 10-30-2018 | 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2018 E63S AMG
Yes, I think so.

All cars have issues, some more than others. I've had several recalls on my Honda Odyssey. Two different safety related ones for seats, plus airbags, and something else. Truck and Jeep have both had a couple recalls.

Can't think of one car that didn't have something. Had a '79 Mustang Cobra with 5.0 V8 that had a design flaw in the transmission that they never recalled but did issue a service bulletin on some time after I had already spent $1300 on repairs with Ford - at least the repair was lifetime warrantied and the local dealer had to fix the tranny twice after that before I found the service bulletin and showed it to them. After that last fix it was fine.

So far, my problem seems to be resolved - though, I did drive the car for quite a while before it popped up in the first place, so perhaps too early to say its fixed for good.
Old 10-30-2018 | 03:32 PM

535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by E634Me
Yes, I think so.

All cars have issues, some more than others. I've had several recalls on my Honda Odyssey. Two different safety related ones for seats, plus airbags, and something else. Truck and Jeep have both had a couple recalls.

Can't think of one car that didn't have something. Had a '79 Mustang Cobra with 5.0 V8 that had a design flaw in the transmission that they never recalled but did issue a service bulletin on some time after I had already spent $1300 on repairs with Ford - at least the repair was lifetime warrantied and the local dealer had to fix the tranny twice after that before I found the service bulletin and showed it to them. After that last fix it was fine.

So far, my problem seems to be resolved - though, I did drive the car for quite a while before it popped up in the first place, so perhaps too early to say its fixed for good.
That is where MB is missing the boat. Yes cars can have issues but the lack of transparency and uncertainty is problematic.
Old 10-30-2018 | 03:34 PM

535XIT, E63S
Those are the first steps they give in any misfire troubleshooting anyway. There have been some cracked manifolds on cars but largely I don't believe there are air leaks causing this. The plugs have to come out to look in the cylinders anyway so plug/coil replacement is normal (coils move from front to rear pairs, not replaced by default). Injector replacement isn't major surgery, just more brackets and things over them but even the coils are hard to get to. Having done them on the S63, it's not difficult, but it is a lot of small things to move. Warranty time is almost 4 hours per side to remove the fuel rail. It only pays 3 hours to remove the dash panel, so that's a lot for warranty work.
Doesn't this support my thesis that the fuel injectors are the probably the fix but because of labor cost MB is slow to do that?
Old 10-30-2018 | 03:38 PM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by V70cat
Doesn't this support my thesis that the fuel injectors are the probably the fix but because of labor cost MB is slow to do that?
Do we know if any non US 2019 cars needed a fix? Or can we assume that 2019s has the fix incorporated into production?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RIP 2018 E63 - Lemon Law Buyback Completed