Sponsored by:

E63S WAGON VS PANAMERA 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
RS7
E63S WAGON VS PANAMERA 4S

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these today, anyone else cross shopping these amazing vehicles?
​​​
Old 10-21-2018, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 515 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
I did. I added up the Porsche tax (options) and ended up at around $165k Cdn + taxes + fees .. and dealer was to give $500 courtesy discount lol ... (even though I was a current owner of another Porsche at the time)

i cannot justified that excess $ with significant less power and ended up with the wagon.

for near $200k Cdn, I would rather pay for a 911 gts

Last edited by bobblehead; 10-21-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by CanuckE63
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these today, anyone else cross shopping these amazing vehicles?
​​​
I cross shopped too. I found the real comparison is Turbo v E63S and the price difference—even with nice discount on the Porsche is just too much.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
And if you’re thinking about leasing, Porsche leases don’t transfer fully. You remain on the lease in “second position” so that if the person you transfer it to stops making payments, you’re on the hook. Same for Audis.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 E63 wagon, 2020 G63, 2018 GT3 Touring, 1996 C4S
The difference for me choosing the E63 wagon was not so much the price (although there is a huge difference and I wouldn’t have been able to afford the Pan Turbo)...it was the practicality. The trunk space is waaaaay bigger in the AMG. If you need strollers and suitcases, then it’s no contest. I do really love the Sport Turismo though, it looks so badass (would get aftermarket wheels though).

Good luck you won’t be disappointed with either!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
E 63 S Wagon
Yeah this is the problem. A well optioned E63S price (say, $125k) gets you into lightly optioned (by Porsche standards...) 4S territory and thus nowhere near the performance. And as @E63Wagonesque points out, the real comparison is the Sport Turismo. Beautiful looking car IMO but not nearly as practical as the E63S.

If $ were no object I'd probably get a Panamera Sport Turismo Turbo. But the E63S Wagon is its own special kind of beast, less expensive, and more practical.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by E63guy
Yeah this is the problem. A well optioned E63S price (say, $125k) gets you into lightly optioned (by Porsche standards...) 4S territory and thus nowhere near the performance. And as @E63Wagonesque points out, the real comparison is the Sport Turismo. Beautiful looking car IMO but not nearly as practical as the E63S.

If $ were no object I'd probably get a Panamera Sport Turismo Turbo. But the E63S Wagon is its own special kind of beast, less expensive, and more practical.
This in a nutshell
Old 10-21-2018, 08:29 PM

RS7
Originally Posted by bobblehead
I did. I added up the Porsche tax (options) and ended up at around $165k Cdn + taxes + fees .. and dealer was to give $500 courtesy discount lol ... (even though I was a current owner of another Porsche at the time)
i cannot justified that excess $ with significant less power and ended up with the wagon.
for near $200k Cdn, I would rather pay for a 911 gts

Yeah, porsche options and their pricing is just nuts.

Originally Posted by E63Wagonesque
The difference for me choosing the E63 wagon was not so much the price (although there is a huge difference and I wouldn’t have been able to afford the Pan Turbo)...it was the practicality. The trunk space is waaaaay bigger in the AMG. If you need strollers and suitcases, then it’s no contest. I do really love the Sport Turismo though, it looks so badass (would get aftermarket wheels though).
Good luck you won’t be disappointed with either!

Yup, the wagon is MUCH more practical, more room for everything and everyone.

Even thought the E63S Wagon is a beast with loads more practicality I still went with the Porsche.
Yes there is less room for stuff, but most of the time i'm driving to/from work and when i'm hauling around family, there isn't all that much to carry. Can't justify a huge wagon for 1% of the time I would actually use/need it.
Panamera 4S is way down on power compared to the E63S for sure. Coming from an RS7 currently i've learned that i hardly ever use all the power available to me, so probably a bit of a waste in my hands. I can live with less HP, no problem. Save on fuel as well too.
The looks is also what drove the decision, I just LOVE the Panamera Sports Turismo. I just REALLY LIKE the E63S wagon.
So, in a nutshell i'll be picking up the Porsche next weekend.
I had a line on a nice 2018 wagon with all the specs i wanted and the sales guy was playing games with the numbers, I hate when they do that. Needless to say, that didn't help the decision making process towards the benz.
The Porsche sales guy was straight forward, direct and did what he said he was going to do. You know what, you get the sale bud.
Still, would love to have the E63S once in awhile! lol

Last edited by CanuckE63; 10-21-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by CanuckE63
Yeah, porsche options and their pricing is just nuts.

Yup, the wagon is MUCH more practical, more room for everything and everyone.

Even thought the E63S Wagon is a beast with loads more practicality I still went with the Porsche.
Yes there is less room for stuff, but most of the time i'm driving to/from work and when i'm hauling around family, there isn't all that much to carry. Can't justify a huge wagon for 1% of the time I would actually use/need it.
Panamera 4S is way down on power compared to the E63S for sure. Coming from an RS7 currently i've learned that i hardly ever use all the power available to me, so probably a bit of a waste in my hands. I can live with less HP, no problem. Save on fuel as well too.
The looks is also what drove the decision, I just LOVE the Panamera Sports Turismo. I just REALLY LIKE the E63S wagon.
So, in a nutshell i'll be picking up the Porsche next weekend.
Still, would love to have the E63S once in awhile! lol
Congrats! Can’t argue with the Porsche product—always solid. If you don’t need the extra power or space, the Panny 4S is a great way to go—and def a looker—and the PDK and infotainment are great.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
To me the killer was the back seat of the P. It is a four seater even in the wagon version I due to the drive shaft. In addition the cost of options were just crazy!

The answer was always a limited production special car even thought it is part of VW and Audi. This is the justification for outrageous pricing.

Very nice car but I went for the MB. The P hybrid might be worth a look since after tax incentives it cost less than the base model.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:38 PM

E 63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by V70cat
To me the killer was the back seat of the P. It is a four seater even in the wagon version I due to the drive shaft. In addition the cost of options were just crazy!

The answer was always a limited production special car even thought it is part of VW and Audi. This is the justification for outrageous pricing.

Very nice car but I went for the MB. The P hybrid might be worth a look since after tax incentives it cost less than the base model.
You may know this but the rear in the Sport Turismo can be optioned with a '+1' "seat" in the middle rather than the full console. It's nowhere anyone of any size would want to sit for anything other than a short hop, but, it exists...
Old 10-22-2018, 02:42 PM

535XIT, E63S
You may know this but the rear in the Sport Turismo can be optioned with a '+1' "seat" in the middle rather than the full console. It's nowhere anyone of any size would want to sit for anything other than a short hop, but, it exists...
Yes I heard about it when it was coming out but when I saw it was disappointed.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:45 PM

E 63 S Wagon
Yes I heard about it when it was coming out but when I saw it was disappointed.
Yeah. Definitely a half (quarter?) hearted attempt.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:53 PM

535XIT, E63S
Just drove my AMG wagon on a long trip and found it fantastic flat corning great power and lots of room.
I find the stock seats better than the Porsche. At first I was concerned about the 20 inch tires riding to hard but find them more than acceptable; I normally ride in the firmer sport mode though will switch to comfort on city streets.
I think the lower stance of the Porsche would not be a comfortable on the highway and in traffic.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Power isnt everything--- the GTS is a bad *** car in its own right. Congrats.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:11 PM

RS7
Yes, the back seat of the panamera is quite a bit smaller area but suffices for me. I don't ever have 5 people in the car, mostly kid seats and my wife in the front so yeah.
porsche pricing IS outrageous but it's just so sweet, i couldn't resist. sucker.
I considered the hybrid seriously but there are some big issues to consider.
1. 600lbs weight gain from the battery. ugh, no thanks.
2. silent startup/driving. umm, i like engine, exhaust noises.
3. have to spend money on electrician to hook up their charging unit in my garage...ugh.
4. most of the serious reviews i have seen that compare the 4S vs the 4E-hybrid comment that the handling in the 4S seems noticeably sharper, likely due to the weight differences. this is important to me.

Yes, and this has the third seat although it's not all that practical imo. Will see.

Originally Posted by X166
Congrats! Can’t argue with the Porsche product—always solid. If you don’t need the extra power or space, the Panny 4S is a great way to go—and def a looker—and the PDK and infotainment are great.
thanks!!

Just drove my AMG wagon on a long trip and found it fantastic flat corning great power and lots of room.
I find the stock seats better than the Porsche. At first I was concerned about the 20 inch tires riding to hard but find them more than acceptable; I normally ride in the firmer sport mode though will switch to comfort on city streets.
I think the lower stance of the Porsche would not be a comfortable on the highway and in traffic.
this was one of the downsides of the E63S wagon, i've driven a few and found the suspension to be a bit harsher than i like in comfort mode. with young kids taking naps all the time in the back, this is a consideration for me.
the porsche suspension is just sublime, they really did a great job imo.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:19 PM

E 63 S Wagon
When I tested the Panamera 4 and 4S, it felt much, much lower than the E63. Not sure how the specs compare and am too lazy to check ATM, but, seat of the pants, driving the Porsche felt like steering a slinking cat down the road. The AMG wasn't "high" of course, but didn't impart that same feeling. The Porsche also felt large in a way that the E63 did not. Not in a bad way, just...substantial.

Congrats @CanuckE63 !!

(I'm slumming in a Volvo V90 CC, and would happily trade it for either the AMG or the Porsche!!)