Sponsored by:

Retrofit Performance exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e92 M3
Retrofit Performance exhaust?

I am looking to pick up a used e63s on Swapalease or lease trader. I have seen a few cars without the performance exhaust but it is a pretty much must have option for me. Is it possible and somewhat cost effective to retrofit the AMG performance exhaust on the car or should I just look for aftermarket exhausts? thanks
Old 12-13-2018, 12:26 AM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts
E63S4S
Not even remotely cost effective to retrofit.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:32 AM

e92 M3
any recommendations for aftermarket then?
Old 12-13-2018, 03:10 AM

'18 e63s
This thread perked my interest. I do not have the sports exhaust but would love to have a louder exhaust. My car is on a lease and I don't want to spend the money on a full aftermarket exhaust. I toyed with the idea of looking into adding the AMG sports exhaust but apparently that is not a cost effective alternative either. Any other suggestions on how to make the non-sport exhaust louder?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by TrackAMG
This thread perked my interest. I do not have the sports exhaust but would love to have a louder exhaust. My car is on a lease and I don't want to spend the money on a full aftermarket exhaust. I toyed with the idea of looking into adding the AMG sports exhaust but apparently that is not a cost effective alternative either. Any other suggestions on how to make the non-sport exhaust louder?
get a set of catless downpipes
The following users liked this post:
S63AMG888 (06-24-2021)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 AM

'18 e63s
Originally Posted by dav461

get a set of catless downpipes
Will this get me something that sounds similar to the performance exhaust?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Will this get me something that sounds similar to the performance exhaust?
louder.
you can make performance exhaust in any shop. Just look for the pictures , there is only difference in H pipe

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2018, 12:28 PM

'18 e63s
Originally Posted by dav461

louder.
you can make performance exhaust in any shop. Just look for the pictures , there is only difference in H pipe
I am a bit confused on this. I thought there were valves in the exhaust cans as well. There was some debate on this old thread.....

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...-opinions.html
Old 12-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
I am a bit confused on this. I thought there were valves in the exhaust cans as well. There was some debate on this old thread.....

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...-opinions.html
Performance exhaust has a valved h pipe by the downpipes. Regular exhaust has an h pipe there as well, but it is not valved. Both exhaust options have valved muffler bypasses.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:35 PM

'18 e63s
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
Performance exhaust has a valved h pipe by the downpipes. Regular exhaust has an h pipe there as well, but it is not valved. Both exhaust options have valved muffler bypasses.
So to convert a regular exhaust to performance exhaust, I would block the H pipe up front? I know I would not have the option of loud or soft. I have no problem with loud all the time
Old 12-13-2018, 02:25 PM

2018 E63S
So to convert a regular exhaust to performance exhaust, I would block the H pipe up front? I know I would not have the option of loud or soft. I have no problem with loud all the time
Yep, like dav461 mentioned, it's simple to do...just have the h pipe cut out, and have someone straight pipe that section.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:36 PM

'18 e63s
OK. just to confirm before I go hacking up my exhaust....... the circled area is the H-pipe I need to cut out. the arrow is pointing to the valve (picture is of a performance exhaust).

So I either need to cut the entire section out and straight pipe it or have them remove, block, and replace the connecting segment where the valve would be?

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:46 PM

2018 E63S
OK. just to confirm before I go hacking up my exhaust....... the circled area is the H-pipe I need to cut out. the arrow is pointing to the valve (picture is of a performance exhaust).

So I either need to cut the entire section out and straight pipe it or have them remove, block, and replace the connecting segment where the valve would be?

Thanks.
You can cut out that entire section of pipe that you've circled, you can cut closer to the H itself, or the other option you mentioned. An exhaust shop will tell you which is better for ease of modification, ease of potential reinstall one day, etc. I can't answer those questions; I'm not a fabricator. But from a performance perspective, yes, you will have the AMG Performance Exhaust at that point, minus the on/off functionality, as you mentioned.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:51 PM

E63S4S
I believe you have that backwards, all cars have a valved H pipe, the back boxes are valved ONLY on the performance exhaust.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:51 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by wassup61
I believe you have that backwards, all cars have a valved H pipe, the back boxes are valved ONLY on the performance exhaust.
No

My car does not have performance exhaust, and I've been under it many times. Mufflers are valved and front h pipe is not. Perf exhaust just has valved front h pipe with same mufflers.

Last edited by Ralcbah; 12-13-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:04 PM

E63S4S
No

My car does not have performance exhaust, and I've been under it many times. Mufflers are valved and front h pipe is not. Perf exhaust just has valved front h pipe with same mufflers.
Thats odd... the exhaust button opens the back box flaps on my car (with PE) and the AMG website shows a picture of the muffler when referencing the performance exhaust

​https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/664744-regular-vs-performance-exhaust.html

See this thread as well
​​​​​​

Last edited by wassup61; 12-13-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:18 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by wassup61
Thats odd... the exhaust button opens the back box flaps on my car (with PE) and the AMG website shows a picture of the muffler when referencing the performance exhaust

​https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/664744-regular-vs-performance-exhaust.html

See this thread as well
​​​​​​
Yep 3 valves vs 2.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Performance exhaust lets you bypass the rear mufflers, regular exhaust does not.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by jkob5
Performance exhaust lets you bypass the rear mufflers, regular exhaust does not.
Not true. Last attempt...standard exhaust bypasses rear mufflers too!!! You just don't have a button to do it....have to put car in s+ or race mode. Only additional thing the performance exhaust has from a hardware perspective is a valved h pipe at front of car. That's it. Nothing more , nothing less.

I have the standard exhaust . We have examined it....in fact my muffler exhaust bypasses valves get Stuck from time to time, which is why I'm replacing with the awe exhaust, which will look like the performance exhaust, in that it has a valved front h pipe. This new valve will be opened/closed by the provided remote from awe, as my car otherwise would have no way to manipulate that valve. The new mufflers will utilize the existing muffler actuators (2 of them, both from non perf exhaust). I know they are there because I replaced both of them three weeks ago. Held them in my hand, read them bedtime stories, kissed them goodbye and actually installed them in this system....again non perf

Last edited by Ralcbah; 12-13-2018 at 08:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kponti (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:22 PM

'18 e63s
Not true. Last attempt...standard exhaust bypasses rear mufflers too!!! You just don't have a button to do it....have to put car in s+ or race mode. Only additional thing the performance exhaust has from a hardware perspective is a valved h pipe at front of car. That's it. Nothing more , nothing less.

I have the standard exhaust . We have examined it....in fact my muffler exhaust bypasses valves get Stuck from time to time.
This is 100% correct. I just crawled under my car (does not have PE) to confirm.

Do you think if I replaced the OE exhaust valve with an aftermarket remote controlled version that it would throw a code?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM

2018 E63S
This is 100% correct. I just crawled under my car (does not have PE) to confirm.

Do you think if I replaced the OE exhaust valve with an aftermarket remote controlled version that it would throw a code?
Are you talking about the muffler valves (one in each muffler for either perf or standard exhaust) or the front h pipe valve that doesn't exist on your standard exhaust?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:46 PM

'18 e63s
Are you talking about the muffler valves (one in each muffler for either perf or standard exhaust) or the front h pipe valve that doesn't exist on your standard exhaust?
I am talking about the muffler valves. My thought is if I take out the front h pipe (where I don’t have a valve) but convert the muffler valves to remote control, I can get some control of the exhaust note from inside the car. Then I can run full open exhaust in comfort or sport mode. It’s less control than the true PE but at least something
Old 12-13-2018, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63

I am talking about the muffler valves. My thought is if I take out the front h pipe (where I don’t have a valve) but convert the muffler valves to remote control, I can get some control of the exhaust note from inside the car. Then I can run full open exhaust in comfort or sport mode. It’s less control than the true PE but at least something

Misread that
Old 12-13-2018, 08:52 PM

2018 E63S

Gotcha. Makes sense. The tough part is making sure you don't mess up the control circuit in the software...the exhaust flaps are part of a safety system in the car where if the computer sensesthe flaps aren't functioning properly, it will throw the car into an unannounced limp mode where the car will not make boost over 4k rpms.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 PM

'18 e63s
Gotcha. Makes sense. The tough part is making sure you don't mess up the control circuit in the software...the exhaust flaps are part of a safety system in the car where if the computer sensesthe flaps aren't functioning properly, it will throw the car into an unannounced limp mode where the car will not make boost over 4k rpms.
thats what I figured. It has to throw some type of code.

Have you done the H pipe delete? Curious why you are going with the AME? I’m considering that as well. Afraid I’m going to go through the trouble of the h pipe delete only to feel it still is not loud enough.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Retrofit Performance exhaust?