Discovered Features and Controls: Lets all share

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 E63S Sedan 2014 GL450
Discovered Features and Controls: Lets all share

Hello All,
I have had my ride since November, and I have been learning some tricks and controls of this very deep technology ride. The intent here is to build an active list and thread to find and ask for ways of navigating through the many buttons and sequences to our control system (Infotainment and such)
So here are some things that I would like to share, that I found somewhat by searching the web and trial and error:
1. If you press the left paddle shifter and hold, it will drop the trans gear to the lowest safe gear. Great to do just before you pass.
2. If you press and hold the right paddle shifter, it will take you out of manual mode immediately.
3. If you push and hold the voice control lever, it will take you to your cell phone audio control.
4. You have your cell phone connected on carplay, and you hit the home button and go too main menu or other items on main menu. Now if you want to get back to carplay, hit the menu button again, and at the top of the menu screen is carplay (in green) swipe up and select, and you are right back to carplay.
5. You can push through to your audio selection to make station or skip on any displayed menu, by pushing the small raised center button on the rear of the slide mouse located on the center console.

Cheers,
The following 4 users liked this post by Lucabratsi:
bluesea (03-05-2019), ronin amg (03-08-2019), s26singh (03-13-2019), techno_violet (03-12-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 06:28 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Nice list. I didn’t know those tricks with the paddle shifters. I just got my ride 10 days ago and oh my god is there so much tech you’re absolutely right. I’ve been busy with work but I did read the manual a bit and thought it hilarious coz it says “AMG vehicle refer to supplement or damage may occur” :-)

So I managed to get through that stuff at least but yeah I’m gonna need a lot of seat time and tinkering with the computers to figure out all the different settings and options.

Cheers!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Hello,
Yes I couldn't agree more there is so much fun tech. Another feature is the brake hold. When stopped, if you press the break pedal far down, you put the car into a "Hold" position, like the parking brake. Then you will see "hold" light up in the dash board. It is released as soon as you press the accelerator pedal.
Cheers,
Old 03-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 Mercedes E63S Estate
I am going to be taking delivery of my Wagon in May, doing the European Delivery option. One question i had, since i am somewhat new to MB, can you get in the car, start the car, get out of the car and lock doors with car running? I had a VW that does not allow this and an M4 that did allow this. Curious if the MB does.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
Originally Posted by wrightatl
I am going to be taking delivery of my Wagon in May, doing the European Delivery option. One question i had, since i am somewhat new to MB, can you get in the car, start the car, get out of the car and lock doors with car running? I had a VW that does not allow this and an M4 that did allow this. Curious if the MB does.
Doesn't work for me that way.

Once I've started the car, rolled down the driver's window, closed the driver's door, locked the doors by the button on the driver's door and rolled up the window. After that, I was not able to unlock doors by door's handle or by using the key fob

Well, I've unlocked the doors via, "Mercedes me" application

About previously described features. Read manual guys, all those things are there.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
You can do even better. You can remote start from outside the car through the app, and the doors remained locked with the car idling until you unlock the door.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
My jeep allows the vehicle to remain running after you remote start and then unlock the car and get in. As long as you insert the key and turn it on before touching the brake peddle the vehicle remains running.

Not so the Merc. As soon as you open the door the remote start shuts off the motor.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
Originally Posted by E634Me
My jeep allows the vehicle to remain running after you remote start and then unlock the car and get in. As long as you insert the key and turn it on before touching the brake peddle the vehicle remains running.

Not so the Merc. As soon as you open the door the remote start shuts off the motor.
Because jeep made in the US where a law is different and should not adjust settings for different markets.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Hello,
There is another feature not everyone knows about, evident in the radar detector section. There is a switchable 12V outlet under the left side of dashboard on the passenger side. You can feel it from the drivers side if you slide your hand along the right side of the center console.
Cheers,
The following 4 users liked this post by Lucabratsi:
Michael Khan (03-08-2019), s26singh (03-13-2019), viperamg (01-02-2020), Wassaby (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I wish this were the case for my 10/17 build sedan. I was apparently in between some configuration changes. I was surprised to find that I did have the wireless charging pad with the CF center console, which was showing as not an option when I ordered the car. I did also get the LED lighting refresh, TrackPace app, and other goodies which were part of the update for the MY18 cars.

I did not however get the 12 V outlet up front. I do have one in back along with the 120 VAC outlet, but nothing up front. Searched high and low and even took the car to the dealer to have them try to find it. No where to be found. But I did notice in a video that Parker (Vehicle Virgins) did that he did have the 12 V outlet up front. His car was built a month after mine, so the change was implemented some time around the late October 17 to early November 17 builds.

I had to wire my radar detector to the fuse box down by the passenger's right leg. Ran the wire up inside the molding to where it exits on the right side of the dash. Then the wire is just tucked in along the front of the windshield till it gets to the radar detector location.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Maybe this is old news, but holding the voice command switch up for a second (as opposed to just flicking it) activates Android Auto. I assume it works the same for Car Play. The phone has to be connected by cable, of course, but one flick and the phone takes over the COMAND screen and you're talking to it. The Home key goes back to COMAND so it's just one gesture each way. Now all they need is wifi support in the head unit to do away with the damn cable. (Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to support the screen display so it will never be a solution.)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
Maybe this is old news, but holding the voice command switch up for a second (as opposed to just flicking it) activates Android Auto. I assume it works the same for Car Play. The phone has to be connected by cable, of course, but one flick and the phone takes over the COMAND screen and you're talking to it. The Home key goes back to COMAND so it's just one gesture each way. Now all they need is wifi support in the head unit to do away with the damn cable. (Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to support the screen display so it will never be a solution.)
That is cool. I haven’t used a cable yet with my iPhone as it’s usually synced though Bluetooth but will try it next time I’m on the freeway. Definitely like the tech. The stereo is nice too for the base Bermeister since the wagon can’t have the high end one. I thought I was gonna miss the B+O from my Audi but for my ears the system is very crisp, and yeah I know you need lossless source for the discerning ear to tell a good quality stereo. I’m just going by my short seat time the last 10 days.

Im just starting to play with my driver’s panel view. I’m an old soul, so I have the “classic” gauges, but I now have the AMG view in the middle that tells you how much boost and hp/tq you’re using which is neat!! I figure I don’t need the speed showing in the middle since I have it in the HUD. I just need sometime to get used to the tech. I think Mercedes did well with this W213 interior, even for an E300 car I’d be happy with the tech and layout.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Originally Posted by E634Me
I wish this were the case for my 10/17 build sedan. I was apparently in between some configuration changes. I was surprised to find that I did have the wireless charging pad with the CF center console, which was showing as not an option when I ordered the car. I did also get the LED lighting refresh, TrackPace app, and other goodies which were part of the update for the MY18 cars.

I did not however get the 12 V outlet up front. I do have one in back along with the 120 VAC outlet, but nothing up front. Searched high and low and even took the car to the dealer to have them try to find it. No where to be found. But I did notice in a video that Parker (Vehicle Virgins) did that he did have the 12 V outlet up front. His car was built a month after mine, so the change was implemented some time around the late October 17 to early November 17 builds.

I had to wire my radar detector to the fuse box down by the passenger's right leg. Ran the wire up inside the molding to where it exits on the right side of the dash. Then the wire is just tucked in along the front of the windshield till it gets to the radar detector location.
I bet you can simply order the plug and plastic shroud that it is in..... it simply screws over the bottom cover. You will just have to find where to tap into the electricity.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1998 E36 M3
Great catch re: paddle downshift trick.

Can't read your name without hearing, "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes" in my head.

Last edited by techno_violet; 03-13-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63s Wagon
Curious when in May? Me too! E63s wagon... Can't get here soon enough
Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by techno_violet
Great catch re: paddle downshift trick.

Can't read your name without hearing, "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes" in my head.
Hah me too.
I tried another trick, not sure if I will do it again, but you can get a service menu with Dyno mode. Just put the trip odometer in the trip menu, then make sure the car ignition is in position 1 ( just 1 push of the button with no brake pedal) hold in the left home button on the steering wheel, then as soon as the dash list comes up press the black enter button (keep the home button pressed) and you should be in the "test menu" there are a few items in there, does anyone know more about this mode and what the status codes are? And how to get into the "engineering mode" would be cool too. My dealer and MBUSA say no way. I want to change my temperature to Celsius.
Cheers,
Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E53 AMG
You should be able to change the units of measurement in the settings menu on the screen. System Settings --> Units.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Lucabratsi
Hah me too.
I tried another trick, not sure if I will do it again, but you can get a service menu with Dyno mode. Just put the trip odometer in the trip menu, then make sure the car ignition is in position 1 ( just 1 push of the button with no brake pedal) hold in the left home button on the steering wheel, then as soon as the dash list comes up press the black enter button (keep the home button pressed) and you should be in the "test menu" there are a few items in there, does anyone know more about this mode and what the status codes are? And how to get into the "engineering mode" would be cool too. My dealer and MBUSA say no way. I want to change my temperature to Celsius.
Cheers,
By "no way," your dealer means "we won't." Engineering mode has to be enabled. If you get the dealer to do it, this is how you access it:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ring-menu.html
Old 03-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
By "no way," your dealer means "we won't." Engineering mode has to be enabled. If you get the dealer to do it, this is how you access it:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ring-menu.html
Yes of course, my dealer won't enable the engineering mode. Does anyone know if you actually get into the engineering mode, is there a way to change the temperature from F to C?
Cheers,
Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
i believe you can change F to C in system setup.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by chasesunny
You should be able to change the units of measurement in the settings menu on the screen. System Settings --> Units.
Hello,
that menu has KM to Miles only. No F to C. Seems like a bad joke to be able to change only distance to metric but not temperature.
Cheers
Old 03-16-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes-AMG E 63 S 4MATIC+ 2018
And I’m not able to change the torque unit to lb/ft.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know a shortcut to open the camera? In my GLS63, I am able to hold the "Car" symbol button on the dash for 2-3 seconds and the camera would open. I can use the Park Assist camera button, but you need to scroll through the different options to enable to the camera. Just thinking of a quicker way to get the front camera open when parking near those parking blocks.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by onesixeight
Does anyone know a shortcut to open the camera? In my GLS63, I am able to hold the "Car" symbol button on the dash for 2-3 seconds and the camera would open. I can use the Park Assist camera button, but you need to scroll through the different options to enable to the camera. Just thinking of a quicker way to get the front camera open when parking near those parking blocks.
Say what?? My GLE63 I have to put it in reverse then in drive to see the front camera pop up. Haha! I didn’t know about that trick. Thanks :-)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 AMG 2019 E63S Wagon
FYI, If I am driving at 15 KPH (approx 10 MPH) or less, anytime, anywhere, and push the "park assist/ camera" button on the center console, the camera option comes up in the right hand screen and then I can rotate through the different camera views, front, side, etc. Not sure if this is different between year models but I have a 2019 E63S wagon with only the with the driver assistance package, HUD, and performance exhaust and black ash dash as additional options. Hope this helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Discovered Features and Controls: Lets all share