Sponsored by:

2019 E53 Convertible pot hole incident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 E53 Convertible, 2005 Ford GT, 2002 NSX
2019 E53 Convertible pot hole incident

So, I got my 2019 E53 convertible the end of December, replacing my 2015 650IX convertible. I'm really enjoying the car, slightly smaller in exterior dimensions, but more interior front and rear leg room. The 6cyl has the same 0-60 performance as the 8twin turbo of the 650IX, better gas mileage, exhaust sound with the sport exhaust sounds good too. So, I'm driving back from VA, after meeting my new granddaughter, on 3/11, and as I exit the NJ TPKE, I hit a pothole, with my right side. I immediately check the tire pressure, all good, but it just doesn't feel right. Not pulling to either side under acceleration, or braking, but just a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I call Tuesday morning, and the first appointment with a loaner is the upcoming Friday, the 15th. I have the tire and wheel insurance (20" wheel option), Turns out, both wheels on the right side are slightly bent. I lobby for new wheels, but the "adjuster" has the right to send them out to their chosen repair facility to see if they can be repaired. After I'm informed today (Monday), the wheels are sent out, repaired Tuesday, returned Wednesday morning, and I should have the car back on Wednesday PM. First question, why after they supposedly removed the wheels, was my car driven 6 miles, in 50 minutes of engine on time? I'$61,000, that has less safety features than a $20,000 Civic. I wonder how they get away with this................
Oh well, enough rambling. BTW, one day 2 weeks ago, when I left my office, the car had no power steering. I tried starting and restarting the car a couple of times, no help. After about 5 minutes of driving, it came back. Of course, this doesn't throw a code, but they feel that the software update, may solve this problem, that hasn't reoccurred anyway.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
I hit a pothole on I-271 in my C450, damaged my right front rim badly, two massive cracks, and the tire was kaput, got a warranty replacement though from TireRack.com, so 1 out of 2.

I opted for the repair on the alloy rim, and I regret it. It cost $300, much cheaper than a new rim, and it looked just fine when they were done, but here's the thing I found: if they don't get the rim really, really straight, when you put summer tires on the bead and the rim don't quite line up and you get a slow leak. Winter tires do far better, no issues, but the summers would not hold air for more than 2 or 3 days. If you looked at the repair job you could see the very subtle wave from where they banged the rim back into shape under temperature.

It was really frustrating trying to figure this out. It might be that the guys that fixed my rims weren't the best, or it could be that this is what happens when you try to fix a badly dented rim.

Ultimately I wish I'd have just plonked down the cash for a new rim.

And
Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by RPM217
So, I got my 2019 E53 convertible the end of December, replacing my 2015 650IX convertible. I'm really enjoying the car, slightly smaller in exterior dimensions, but more interior front and rear leg room. The 6cyl has the same 0-60 performance as the 8twin turbo of the 650IX, better gas mileage, exhaust sound with the sport exhaust sounds good too. So, I'm driving back from VA, after meeting my new granddaughter, on 3/11, and as I exit the NJ TPKE, I hit a pothole, with my right side. I immediately check the tire pressure, all good, but it just doesn't feel right. Not pulling to either side under acceleration, or braking, but just a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I call Tuesday morning, and the first appointment with a loaner is the upcoming Friday, the 15th. I have the tire and wheel insurance (20" wheel option), Turns out, both wheels on the right side are slightly bent. I lobby for new wheels, but the "adjuster" has the right to send them out to their chosen repair facility to see if they can be repaired. After I'm informed today (Monday), the wheels are sent out, repaired Tuesday, returned Wednesday morning, and I should have the car back on Wednesday PM. First question, why after they supposedly removed the wheels, was my car driven 6 miles, in 50 minutes of engine on time? I'$61,000, that has less safety features than a $20,000 Civic. I wonder how they get away with this................
Oh well, enough rambling. BTW, one day 2 weeks ago, when I left my office, the car had no power steering. I tried starting and restarting the car a couple of times, no help. After about 5 minutes of driving, it came back. Of course, this doesn't throw a code, but they feel that the software update, may solve this problem, that hasn't reoccurred anyway.
I don't get what safety feature you think is missing?

M
Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
I don't get what safety feature you think is missing?

M
lane departure warning, heads-up display, among a few I have on my E53,
Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by RPM217
lane departure warning, heads-up display, among a few I have on my E53,
these are all options on the e53..... are you saying your e53 doesn't have these options?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 AMG E63S
It's really hard for me to understand what the OP is saying.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by GreenFox
It's really hard for me to understand what the OP is saying.
me too.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by Bibenstein
I hit a pothole on I-271 in my C450, damaged my right front rim badly, two massive cracks, and the tire was kaput, got a warranty replacement though from TireRack.com, so 1 out of 2.

I opted for the repair on the alloy rim, and I regret it. It cost $300, much cheaper than a new rim, and it looked just fine when they were done, but here's the thing I found: if they don't get the rim really, really straight, when you put summer tires on the bead and the rim don't quite line up and you get a slow leak. Winter tires do far better, no issues, but the summers would not hold air for more than 2 or 3 days. If you looked at the repair job you could see the very subtle wave from where they banged the rim back into shape under temperature.

It was really frustrating trying to figure this out. It might be that the guys that fixed my rims weren't the best, or it could be that this is what happens when you try to fix a badly dented rim.

Ultimately I wish I'd have just plonked down the cash for a new rim.
If I were you, I'd take the rim back and have them re-repair it the right way. You didn't spend $300 to just have it look cosmetically fixed.

Most people who've had this work done have no issues afterwards.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
these are all options on the e53..... are you saying your e53 doesn't have these options?
My E53 does have the options, the loaner E300 doesn’t. At a sticker of over $61,000 not having a full safety suite, that’s standard in every Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, etc., boggles my mind!
Old 03-19-2019, 05:15 PM

To be clear

So here’s the question in a nut shell, after they have determined that two of the wheels need to be repaired, why was my car taken out and driven 6 miles, with the engine on for 50 minutes. There is no reason in the world, why the car should be test driven, until the car has the repaired wheels, put back on it. Then I can understand a test drive. But after it’s been determined that the wheels are bent, there is no excuse in the world to be joy riding in my car. The general manager was looking into it, I offered him the chip, as the car has a dash cam, and we can watch it together. I’m waiting for him to get back to me. Stay tuned!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
So there's potentially some incriminating dash-cam footage... This could get very interesting...
Old 03-20-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
If you dropped it off at your dealership then there's a good chance they don't have on-site rim repair and had to take it to their rim repair contractor, who might be 3 miles away, 6 miles round trip...
Old 03-20-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Carac
If you dropped it off at your dealership then there's a good chance they don't have on-site rim repair and had to take it to their rim repair contractor, who might be 3 miles away, 6 miles round trip...
they’ve supposedly removed the wheels, sent them to NJ to be repaired, so no, no excuse for putting mileage on the car. The GM is “investigating”, I’m waiting for his call back, and.... we can always go to the video!!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
So maybe you'll get a free oil change....don't expect too much more.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 PM

Update

So I go to pick up the car yesterday, meet with the general manager. first, he is very interested in what the dash cam will show, I tell him, I will take the chip out, play it, and forward the footage to him once I view it. Surprise surprise, everything is on the videos, the resolution is excellent, they turned off the dash cam, for the 6 mile 50 minute joyride. The 3 mile test ride, after the wheels were put back on, shows location speed everything. Even crossing the double yellow line to avoid potholes, everything. What was astounding, was when I went to pick up the car, first of all, it was filthy. Secondly, The right front wheel, which had been repaired, was missing the valve cover, the right rear wheel, which is also been repaired, had grease all over it. When I got home, just for the hell of it, I view the tire pressure on all four wheels,(using the app)the right front wheel, is at 55 pounds, the other three all have the appropriate 44. Where is quality control? I did send an email to the general manager, explaining about the dash cam, asking him about the tire pressure, including a screenshot from the app, and asking him should I assume, that the torque on each of the Lugnuts was also checked properly, or do you prefer if I take it to my tire and wheel guy, and pay to have it checked. He called me back, and asked me if I would be willing to bring the car in this afternoon, to have his technician check it. I told him I would do so, he also informed me, that they had fired, one of the quality control technicians this morning. I told him, I got no satisfaction from that. In no way, did it make me feel good, that somebody lost their job. I did tell him, that if you want to send a message, to the people that worked in the service area, that was on him. I also asked him, to think about how he would like me to fill out the survey, that I know I will be receiving from Mercedes. That, he has not advised me on, as of yet.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So what did you expect making the complaint and showing them the video? Of course someone would get reprimanded or fired. You yourself said this is no excuse and should be investigated....so they did and took appropriate action. I'm sure other techs will take notice that someone was fired over this.

Why would you ask the general manager how to fill out the survey? That's on you to be either satisfied or dis-satisfied with the service. This is your chance to point out how egregious your service has been.

Wish you better luck in the future.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3
So what did you expect making the complaint and showing them the video? Of course someone would get reprimanded or fired. You yourself said this is no excuse and should be investigated....so they did and took appropriate action. I'm sure other techs will take notice that someone was fired over this.

Why would you ask the general manager how to fill out the survey? That's on you to be either satisfied or dis-satisfied with the service. This is your chance to point out how egregious your service has been.

Wish you better luck in the future.
I wanted him to know, I know the routine, these surveys are quite important to each dealership. Of course, any idiot knows, I'm not giving a stellar review, but he needs to give serious thought how to win me back. I don't need anything for the car, I purchased the wheel and tire insurance, the 3 years of service, the car has been paint corrected totally wrapped and ceramic coated, so a "detail" isn't needed. As I told him today, when I brought the car back to have the lugs properly torqued, all I want is what I paid for, good service, and my property to be treated with respect. I have sent them many buyers over the past 9 years, and now don't have the level of trust and confidence that I had previously. They will have to prove to me, that they want to continue to be my preferred MB dealer.