Sponsored by:

Driving Academy Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q7
Driving Academy Question

I have started to get into track racing and have some experience on the track. I took the 4 day race course earlier this year at Bondurant. I have 3 HPDE track days this year in my Miata. Do you think I would be bored in the Performance class? Should I skip it any use the credit to move up to the Pro class? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by BLee80
I have started to get into track racing and have some experience on the track. I took the 4 day race course earlier this year at Bondurant. I have 3 HPDE track days this year in my Miata. Do you think I would be bored in the Performance class? Should I skip it any use the credit to move up to the Pro class? Thanks!
In my opinion you would be bored stiff with the Performance class. I just got back from the 2 day Advanced class at Road Atlanta. I did the Performance class about 10 years ago (it used to be called something difference like Basic I think) and I did the two day Car Control school last year with BMW at their Performance Center in SC. Plus I have many years of racing motorcycles behind me. Your enthusiasm for the Performance class will be tapered if you get with a slow group. Thankfully in the Advanced class my team was a very fast team. Our team won the team competition Autocross event and I took second overall in the Autocross event of all attendees. The big difference in the Advanced class versus the Pro Class (per one of the instructors I spoke to this week) is the data analysis part. One spends more classroom time in the Pro Class doing data analysis of timing such as braking, acceleration, etc.

By the way, I used my credit for purchasing a ‘19 S63 towards the Advanced class and am very happy I did that instead of jumping to the Pro first. But I am sure you would be good jumping to the Pro class if they allow you to do that.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Range Rover 400e, Ferrari GTC Lusso, G63
I just completed the performance day with no prior track experience and they do really hold you back. Still a great day out, when its free and you get to try a bunch of cars out but would not do it again.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
The problem I see with the 2 day advanced or whatever they call it is it seems sold out and not many dates available. I went to register last week for Laguna Seca and it had one date in November which was sold out and I’m wait listed. That’s it. Plenty of options and open dates for the one day course but no the two day one. There’s one in December I think in Road America but I don’t know if it’ll be ok with my work schedule. So I’m a bit depressed now!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:38 PM

Q7
Originally Posted by Dunga
The problem I see with the 2 day advanced or whatever they call it is it seems sold out and not many dates available. I went to register last week for Laguna Seca and it had one date in November which was sold out and I’m wait listed. That’s it. Plenty of options and open dates for the one day course but no the two day one. There’s one in December I think in Road America but I don’t know if it’ll be ok with my work schedule. So I’m a bit depressed now!
Thats exactly my problem too! Has anyone been able to extend their AMG credit beyond 1 year of purchase?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:10 AM

I called and they extended it six months
Old 05-25-2019, 01:11 AM

I was able to booked 2 day course in Texas for December this year last week...
Old 05-25-2019, 01:34 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Just finished the 2 day Pro at Road Atlanta. If you have track experience or have done a program with another manufacturer you can go to advanced or pro, which I would recommend. Basic/performance is very basic. You drive out to a corner or segment of track and review things like trail braking, using one corner to setup another, ABS and collision avoidance modules. Advanced builds on the concepts for some lead/follow. Pro ditches everything but skid pad, autocross and includes a lot more open lapping in GT-Ss and GT-Rs. If you can it’s worth it to skip straight to Pro. Waaaay cheaper than buying a car, a set of tires, track insurance, track rental, personal driving instructor, etc. A couple of carefree track days for a reasonable price.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:02 PM

Q7
Originally Posted by Carac
Just finished the 2 day Pro at Road Atlanta. If you have track experience or have done a program with another manufacturer you can go to advanced or pro, which I would recommend. Basic/performance is very basic. You drive out to a corner or segment of track and review things like trail braking, using one corner to setup another, ABS and collision avoidance modules. Advanced builds on the concepts for some lead/follow. Pro ditches everything but skid pad, autocross and includes a lot more open lapping in GT-Ss and GT-Rs. If you can it’s worth it to skip straight to Pro. Waaaay cheaper than buying a car, a set of tires, track insurance, track rental, personal driving instructor, etc. A couple of carefree track days for a reasonable price.
Thanks for the info. Very useful to hear the difference from advanced vs pro class. I think I’m going to go straight for the pro class. I’ll have to get an extension as none of the current dates work for me.

You make a good point regarding the additional cost. I have been slowly talking myself into the fact that I have to take my car out to the track at least once to see what this beast can really do. But the cost of insurance and tires makes me cringe just for one day. Hopefully a few hours of open lapping in the pro class with satisfy the urge. Probably about a wash cost wise.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by BLee80
I would try and upgrade to a different class. Given your experience, maybe do the AMG Drift class.

I did the Performance School last weekend and while it was enjoyable, it was also disappointing relative to my expectations. At the BMW M school you get a lot of seat time because it is one guest per car. At the AMG Performance Academy, you double up with another student in each car, so you get half the seat time you get at the one-day M school. Not sure if they do this with the other programs, but in the performance program, the limited drivers seat time really diminishes the program. Plus the instructors are pretty conservative so you don't get to go that fast. I barely broke 100mph in a GTR at Road Atlanta.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by Carac
Problem is availability. I’m now waitlisted for both Advanced and Pro at Laguna Seca. They have a few basic/performance openings but none of the advanced levels. They must sell out fast. I’ll wait till we’re closer to the event and if I don’t hear from them I’ll call and see about getting my credit extended.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:22 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I would try and upgrade to a different class. Given your experience, maybe do the AMG Drift class.

I did the Performance School last weekend and while it was enjoyable, it was also disappointing relative to my expectations. At the BMW M school you get a lot of seat time because it is one guest per car. At the AMG Performance Academy, you double up with another student in each car, so you get half the seat time you get at the one-day M school. Not sure if they do this with the other programs, but in the performance program, the limited drivers seat time really diminishes the program. Plus the instructors are pretty conservative so you don't get to go that fast. I barely broke 100mph in a GTR at Road Atlanta.
Pro has half as many people, so you’re alone in the car. At the end of the second day it was just us out on the track in GT-Rs, no instructors, open lapping easily getting over 140 on the back straight. They didn’t start offering a Pro at Toad Atlanta until last year, I was honestly surprised given how technical it is combined with the lack of runoff. If you’re off track there you’re usually less than 50yds (or less) of grass away from a concrete wall.