Sponsored by:

DIY oil change E63s M177 S213

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
DIY oil change E63s M177 S213

I decided to change the oil on my 2018 E63s wagon this weekend....
be for-warned....

a couple of points...
  • The car has to be at operating temperature.
  • procedure needs to be done within the first 3 minutes of shut down so that all of the oil valves are open allowing all of the oil to be able to flow out.
  • Remove one bottom steel panel
  • the M177 engine has the filter at the bottom of the engine. Just beside the “plastic” drain screw (Allen wrench) (the oil pan is basically plastic too)
  • Requires 9.5 qts of oil
  • i would have in hand a replacement oil screw plug as it might be a one time use (I didn’t replace mine as it worked fine but I will if I do it the next time)
  • you cannot change the oil unless you have it on a rack and a professional style oil catcher (I have a quickjack vehicle lift) ....when you remove the drain plug.... basically the full 9.5 quarts drop out in one big splash overwhelming your typical plastic oil catcher and making a huge mess on the ground.
  • what I will do the next time is to extract as much oil from the top and then drain the balance at the bottom.

to check your oil level, you will need to access a gauge from the “mb service” menu on the dash as these cars do not have a dipstick. (The only dipstick was me after I flooded my drive in oil!)

i’m sorry to not have included pictures but needless to say I had a bit of a cleanup to do. Luckily, I had put down construction floor paper down below the car and it took the brunt of the oil but I did trash my wife’s yoga mat that I use to lay down on.

hope this helps.
The following 4 users liked this post by cyclrder:
6G Schnell (07-22-2019), b0rderman (07-22-2019), BC-2 (07-22-2019), CALBenzo (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 289 Likes on 141 Posts
E63S Wagon
Interesting on the 3-minute rule. So your procedure was basically to have the car running while it is up on the quick jack, shut the car off and then hurry underneath to a tsunami of oil?

Do you think you can add another step to that, ie topside extraction?

Thanks for the run down...I am going to miss changing the oil on my 997, where you don’t even need to jack the car up at all.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Sounds like such a PITA that I wouldn't care to attempt, especially in my older years now. I used to like working on cars (sort of a therapy ), and change the oil all the time in my day. There are several that I only did once and never did again, however. My old 1984 Carrera with the old crush tubes, I only did once. My old 1995 993 (the last air-cooled) was a pain. Besides the under paneling, you have to remove the rear tire, and part of the wheel well under paneling to access one of the oil tanks. I should have kept this one! Lastly, in my R8, there are 5 drain plugs, so I only changed the oil once there as well.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Thanks for the rundown and tips. Were you able to reset the service notification as well?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63S AMG Wagon, 2020 Audi R8 Performance
I personally wasn't able to see where the oil could be extracted from the top. There isn't a dipstick, and the filler hole is on top of the valve cover with no way to stick a hose all the way down to the pan. Not saying it isn't possible, but I couldn't figure it out. I even preemptively bought a vacuum extraction system before looking at it, and in the end drained it from the bottom. I just assumed that being a newer car, it came out through the top.

Check youtube for how-to's on resetting the service notifications. Its pretty straight forward.
The following users liked this post:
BC-2 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by BC-2
Thanks for the rundown and tips. Were you able to reset the service notification as well?
you can do it yourself through the service menu.
BC-2 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by b0rderman
Interesting on the 3-minute rule. So your procedure was basically to have the car running while it is up on the quick jack, shut the car off and then hurry underneath to a tsunami of oil?

Do you think you can add another step to that, ie topside extraction?

Thanks for the run down...I am going to miss changing the oil on my 997, where you don’t even need to jack the car up at all.
That is exactly how I did it. (and of course spilled everywhere) … I don't know how I will do it next time.. probably extract as much as possible from the top.. my extractor is a pump style.. It would work much better if I had an electric one.. and then release from the bottom.

here is my 997.2 being done.

b0rderman (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 PM

E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by cyclrder
here is my 997.2 being done.
A Turbo is worth the added step of a quick jack
Old 07-22-2019, 01:36 PM

A Turbo is worth the added step of a quick jack
the oil change experience with cars like these is suppose to be a Zen time....

quick side story about forums and advice from them....
I had a GL63 and the 997. I had seen where a guy had jacked his 997 up using the largest quick jack 7000. He had posted the pics of the car up on the jack looking good. Well, that was enough for me so I ordered the 7000xl thinking that I could do both the GL, Porsche, and my Jeep JKU... So I put my Turbo on the jack... but you couldn't take the wheels off!!!! when you lifted the car, the tires dropped down on to the jack and their you were... FCKD! I went back onto the rennlist forum and PM'd him asking how he got his tires off. He told me that he hasn't been able to make it work!!! I'm like "dude... you gotta update the thread to that effect!!!" anyway... I use small ramps on the front wheels and parts to the SUV adapter and then I can make it work.... but adding insult to injury, When I was changing the front diff fluid on the Porsche, the angle was enough that I didn't get an accurate amount of fill and actually overfilled the diff! Luckily, I caught the mistake and leveled the car and rechecked allowing the rather significant over fill to come out.

take those bumps (with 42psi in your front wheels) in the road and enjoy those Zen moments....cheers!

b0rderman (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 03:01 PM

E63S Wagon
Is that a reflection, or do you have a grated dog divider in the back of your wagon?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:25 PM

Is that a reflection, or do you have a grated dog divider in the back of your wagon?
Yup... that is the stock one built into the divider / rear cover. You should have it too!
If you have a dog... check this thread ...
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...ill-guard.html

I had to have a dark one vs the chrome of the standard S213
Old 07-22-2019, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
> what I will do the next time is to extract as much oil from the top and then drain the balance at the bottom.

how/with what?
Old 07-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
> what I will do the next time is to extract as much oil from the top and then drain the balance at the bottom.

how/with what?
I have one of these … https://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemD...gle&kw=MIT7400
Old 10-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Nissan
This is great info, thanks! Had a couple of questions if you have a moment:

- What quickjack do you use? I have the 7000slx but it's a little too short for the wagon. I've used it horizontally but thought about getting the extension kit (unclear if that makes it work normally though). How did you lift yours?
- Is the oil almost 200 degrees if you've brought the engine to temp? Any risk of burning yourself as the oil comes out?

Getting close to oil change time and want to just do it myself.

Originally Posted by cyclrder
I decided to change the oil on my 2018 E63s wagon this weekend....
be for-warned....

a couple of points...
  • The car has to be at operating temperature.
  • procedure needs to be done within the first 3 minutes of shut down so that all of the oil valves are open allowing all of the oil to be able to flow out.
  • Remove one bottom steel panel
  • the M177 engine has the filter at the bottom of the engine. Just beside the “plastic” drain screw (Allen wrench) (the oil pan is basically plastic too)
  • Requires 9.5 qts of oil
  • i would have in hand a replacement oil screw plug as it might be a one time use (I didn’t replace mine as it worked fine but I will if I do it the next time)
  • you cannot change the oil unless you have it on a rack and a professional style oil catcher (I have a quickjack vehicle lift) ....when you remove the drain plug.... basically the full 9.5 quarts drop out in one big splash overwhelming your typical plastic oil catcher and making a huge mess on the ground.
  • what I will do the next time is to extract as much oil from the top and then drain the balance at the bottom.

to check your oil level, you will need to access a gauge from the “mb service” menu on the dash as these cars do not have a dipstick. (The only dipstick was me after I flooded my drive in oil!)

i’m sorry to not have included pictures but needless to say I had a bit of a cleanup to do. Luckily, I had put down construction floor paper down below the car and it took the brunt of the oil but I did trash my wife’s yoga mat that I use to lay down on.

hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Is the drain plug the standard diameter and thread pitch found on most cars? I'm sure that there is a Fumoto valve would work. I have one on a couple of my vehicles, but especially my F-250 with the diesel engine. The valve allows you to control the flow of oil and turn off mid stream of desired. You can, for example, control the flow enough to drain into empty one quart/liter bottles, or if you don't have one big oil pan, stop the flow so you can switch the full one out for a new empty one.

Also helps avoid getting burned by hot oil.

http://www.fumotousa.com/
Old 10-03-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 E63S Wagon, 2007 335i convertible (tuned to 400hp), 2011 Audi A4 Avant
Originally Posted by E634Me
Is the drain plug the standard diameter and thread pitch found on most cars? I'm sure that there is a Fumoto valve would work. I have one on a couple of my vehicles, but especially my F-250 with the diesel engine. The valve allows you to control the flow of oil and turn off mid stream of desired. You can, for example, control the flow enough to drain into empty one quart/liter bottles, or if you don't have one big oil pan, stop the flow so you can switch the full one out for a new empty one.

Also helps avoid getting burned by hot oil.

http://www.fumotousa.com/
Interesting...just went to the website, and they have a "choose your vehicle" tool to find the right valve. It only goes up to 2017, and doesn't list the AMG E series. It DOES list the C 63S, which should use the same drain plug size....

I assume the "lever clip" shown prevents inadvertent opening of the valve?

Last edited by E63Wagen; 10-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Yes. Prevented the Honda service people from changing the oil on my wife's Odyssey once They couldn't figure it out and had to call me. Last time I ever took it to that dealership because, well, it's not rocket science and if they couldn't figure that out I'm not sure I want them working on other more complex systems on the car.

I also have one on both my Jeep and F-250. Spring loaded lever that you have to push up over the notch into the slot then twist to open the valve. I worried about it on the Jeep which I do off road with and occasionally am running over bushes and other things that might possibly brush up against it. But it's never been a problem and would be a one in a million event if it ever happened.

Have not put one on the E63s as I have the prepaid maintenance and don't have to worry about it for the next few years.