Sponsored by:

Nav Map Update Version

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Nav Map Update Version

I have a MY18, so need to get map updates from dealer. Took car in for a service issue 2 weeks ago and asked them to update map at that time. After several hours they advised they could not get it to update and it has happened on a few other cars. I needed to come back for the service repair (parts ordering), so on Monday I drop car off for original service issue and ask them to update map as well. After car in shop for two days, they tell me no software is available for updating. I find that very hard to believe as I'm showing I have 2017/2018 (V6.0) North America installed. They claim to have bumped my issue up to a higher level, but I'm frustrated with lack of service. Curious if anyone has experienced this type of issue with getting a MY18 map update.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by washbob
I find that very hard to believe as I'm showing I have 2017/2018 (V6.0) North America installed.
Nav map updates don't come out every year.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by E55 KEV
Nav map updates don't come out every year.
I must be on drugs or have memory issues. As I have a MY19 I thought I read that some software updates are fed automatically. I got into my car this evening and the NAV screen said the automatic SW update happened for my maps. I can't rewind the tape (so to speak) so would I be correct in assuming some sort of map updates happened on my version? If so, the to the OP, there might be some update out there.
Cheers
Old 10-23-2019, 07:08 PM

2018 AMG E43
You are correct for MY19, but I have MY18, so need dealer updates.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by washbob
You are correct for MY19, but I have MY18, so need dealer updates.
Did you try mercedes me service? long time ago it gave an opportunity to update maps.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:34 PM

2018 AMG E43
Unfortunately they do not offer it (or at least I couldn't find that option on my app). For MY19, you do the map updates through the app. Since I have MY18 that is not an option. I guess I just find it hard too believe that my vehicle with an inservice date of 11/21/2107 has no updates available. Mercedes promoted heavily about MY18 vehicles equipped with the Command navigation system comes with three years of complimentary map updates. I'm just trying to find out what the latest map version is. I was hoping that someone who had a map update done at the dealership could provide that information. That way I have something to show the dealership that there are updated maps available. Right now if I need up to date navigation maps, I just switch over to Apple CarPlay. Not really stressing over this issue, just thought I would get the latest map update if one is available.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 165 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by 24Hours
I must be on drugs or have memory issues. As I have a MY19 I thought I read that some software updates are fed automatically. I got into my car this evening and the NAV screen said the automatic SW update happened for my maps. I can't rewind the tape (so to speak) so would I be correct in assuming some sort of map updates happened on my version? If so, the to the OP, there might be some update out there.
Cheers
There is setting in Mercedes Connect to Enable SW updates... then it happens automagically
And don’t worry, no dementia, or illegal substance....

The following users liked this post:
24Hours (10-24-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 306 Likes on 225 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
There is setting in Mercedes Connect to Enable SW updates... then it happens automagically
And don’t worry, no dementia, or illegal substance....

SW updates and map updates are two different things. Plus, I don't think either of them are possible for pre-2019 models.

I have updated my maps three times so far in 2019 and am at V17.0 (2019). Since I have a 2019, I do it myself online. I couldn't swear to it, but my guess is that the 2018, with the same head unit, could be at V17 if you can find a dealer to do it. V6 and V17 sound too far apart to be the same series, but keep in mind that I'm on the fourth map version in 2019 and last updated a couple of months ago. So yes, it seems that the maps are upgraded about 5 times a year so the numbers add up.

Tell the dealer that Mercedes Me is at V17 for 2019 models and ask why the same head unit in your 2018 can't be updated to the same level.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Originally Posted by whoover
SW updates and map updates are two different things. Plus, I don't think either of them are possible for pre-2019 models.

I have updated my maps three times so far in 2019 and am at V17.0 (2019). Since I have a 2019, I do it myself online. I couldn't swear to it, but my guess is that the 2018, with the same head unit, could be at V17 if you can find a dealer to do it. V6 and V17 sound too far apart to be the same series, but keep in mind that I'm on the fourth map version in 2019 and last updated a couple of months ago. So yes, it seems that the maps are upgraded about 5 times a year so the numbers add up.

Tell the dealer that Mercedes Me is at V17 for 2019 models and ask why the same head unit in your 2018 can't be updated to the same level.
Sorry, did not state my reply was for MY 2019. Thought people can see this from the list of my cars.

Correct, different computers in the car have SW updates. Hoevere used this term to bo
e consistent with Mercedes Connect terminology.

pls take a look, they call it SW update, even though it is a nav map update.
Hope this help!
Old 10-23-2019, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan

Sorry, did not state my reply was for MY 2019. Thought people can see this from the list of my cars.

Correct, different computers in the car have SW updates. Hoevere used this term to bo
e consistent with Mercedes Connect terminology.

pls take a look, they call it SW update, even though it is a nav map update.
Hope this help!
There are two icons in the portal. Online Map Update allows you to download new map versions. Software updates shows what modules have received new software over the air. Mine shows that an update to the Communications Module was pushed to the car. You can't do a software update; you can only see what MB has pushed to your car. Map updates, on the other hand, are downloadable.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:39 PM

GTR

There are two icons in the portal. Online Map Update allows you to download new map versions. Software updates shows what modules have received new software over the air. Mine shows that an update to the Communications Module was pushed to the car. You can't do a software update; you can only see what MB has pushed to your car. Map updates, on the other hand, are downloadable.
what is the production date of your car?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by dav461
what is the production date of your car?
11/3D/2018, in other words, end of November 2018. It's a 2019 model year.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike

Description above doesn't match my setup.
Selecting SW Updates icon brings the following:

As stated in my original reply MAP updates are done automagically as long as SW updates are enabled.
I did not download anything manually....

Are u sure you have 2019 MY?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Description above doesn't match my setup.
Selecting SW Updates icon brings the following:

As stated in my original reply MAP updates are done automagically as long as SW updates are enabled.
I did not download anything manually....

Are u sure you have 2019 MY?
Yes. There are two ways to get map upgrades for a 2019. One is OTA (over-the-air) which is what has happened on your car. Because it is a "push" upgrade, it is listed in the Software update section. For some reason, your car has not received the communications module update that mine has, but it has received two map upgrades.

HOWEVER, the better way to update your maps is via the manual download procedure that Online Map Update provides. There are two reasons for this. First, the automatic push update is limited to one region, which you can select in Online Map Upgrades. The rest of the North America maps are not updated over the air to limit bandwidth utilization. Second, the push process is subject to huge lags, as evidenced by your not yet receiving the communications module update. Any over-the-air update can take up to 5 months to reach your car. If you go into the Navigation options menu and look at version information, you'll see what level you are at. It probably won't be V17, at least for many regions. Push updates are very convenient, but they're not the best way to have map version currency. You do much better by checking Online Map Update periodically and downloading all regions when an update has been published. This is especially true if you plan on a road trip that will take you outside of the area covered by your local region.
The following users liked this post:
b0rderman (10-24-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Yes. There are two ways to get map upgrades for a 2019. One is OTA (over-the-air) which is what has happened on your car. Because it is a "push" upgrade, it is listed in the Software update section. For some reason, your car has not received the communications module update that mine has, but it has received two map upgrades.

HOWEVER, the better way to update your maps is via the manual download procedure that Online Map Update provides. There are two reasons for this. First, the automatic push update is limited to one region, which you can select in Online Map Upgrades. The rest of the North America maps are not updated over the air to limit bandwidth utilization. Second, the push process is subject to huge lags, as evidenced by your not yet receiving the communications module update. Any over-the-air update can take up to 5 months to reach your car. If you go into the Navigation options menu and look at version information, you'll see what level you are at. It probably won't be V17, at least for many regions. Push updates are very convenient, but they're not the best way to have map version currency. You do much better by checking Online Map Update periodically and downloading all regions when an update has been published. This is especially true if you plan on a road trip that will take you outside of the area covered by your local region.
Thanks, this is good info and important for folks traveling far away. My trips are CA-only; from LA, to SF/Bay Area and up to Sac/Tahoe, at least in short-term.

Do we know when is the comm module update published/or what at is the latest ver?
I was in service for rear diff oil change recently and SA could not find any updates...
Old 10-23-2019, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Thanks, this is good info and important for folks traveling far away. My trips are CA-only; from LA, to SF/Bay Area and up to Sac/Tahoe, at least in short-term.

Do we know when is the comm module update published/or what at is the latest ver?
I was in service for rear diff oil change recently and SA could not find any updates...
The date of the comms module update is 9/8/19. There is no version number listed.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
The date of the comms module update is 9/8/19. There is no version number listed.
thanks!
Old 10-24-2019, 01:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 E63S Sedan
Also want to point out that OTA updates cover the map software only. If you want the corresponding nav related voice recognition updates, you still need to download that manually. It specifically states this in the nav update section of the Mercedes Me web portal. The good thing is that it's a single package that covers all regions, so doesn't require multiple region updates unlike the map software.

Note: The voice recognition data for the respective map regions of your navigation system can only be updated by means of a manual map update.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pikapan
Also want to point out that OTA updates cover the map software only. If you want the corresponding nav related voice recognition updates, you still need to download that manually. It specifically states this in the nav update section of the Mercedes Me web portal. The good thing is that it's a single package that covers all regions, so doesn't require multiple region updates unlike the map software.

Note: The voice recognition data for the respective map regions of your navigation system can only be updated by means of a manual map update.
thanks for good inputs!
just ordered the sd card and will try manual download

there is so much hi tech packed in this car that it would take months to read all fine print

just emphasizing the value of this board in sharing our knowledge and real life experience!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 AM

2018 AMG E43
whoover, thanks for the response, just the type of information I was looking for.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:01 PM

GTR
Latest nav version for north america on picture. have highlighted it.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Interesting. I just did Manual update and have completely different version. Why is that?
Old 10-26-2019, 05:43 PM

GTR
Interesting. I just did Manual update and have completely different version. Why is that?
check version in when you in car.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Originally Posted by dav461
check version in when you in car.
Yes, thanks. Portal is now showing correct version (failed to restart multimedia system first time, so upgrade was not activated?)
Old 10-26-2019, 09:51 PM

GTR
Yes, thanks. Portal is now showing correct version (failed to restart multimedia system first time, so upgrade was not activated?)
check version in comand when you in car, to see if upgrade was successful !