Sponsored by:

Idle Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
W213 E63S
Idle Vibration

I have a 2018 E63s with 13k miles on it. I’m getting intermittent cabin floor and steering wheel vibrations at idle when in gear and at a stop light. Vibration immediately goes away as soon as the car starts moving. It also goes away when I put it in neutral or park. Sometimes the vibration is completely gone and sometimes it’s very prominent. Happens in both comfort and sport modes. The vibration is definitely noticeable by both front passengers but it’s nothing too crazy. Dealer inspected the mounts and they seem to be alright. Their official response was that this is normal in 4matic cars with V8 engines and MCT transmission with no torque converter and that I should just live with it. Is this vibration normal? Anyone else experience this? I got this car 2 weeks ago so I don’t know if it had the vibration before.

UPDATE: Noticed today that it only happens when I apply the brakes reeeally slowly and then come to a stop. Doesn’t happen when I depressed the brake pedal more abruptly. Also noticed today that the vibration goes away when I turn the steering wheel slightly in any direction.

Last edited by RF300; 03-10-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63S AMG Wagon, 2020 Audi R8 Performance
Originally Posted by RF300
I have a 2018 E63s with 13k miles on it. I’m getting intermittent cabin floor and steering wheel vibrations at idle when in gear and at a stop light. Vibration immediately goes away as soon as the car starts moving. It also goes away when I put it in neutral or park. Sometimes the vibration is completely gone and sometimes it’s very prominent. Happens in both comfort and sport modes. The vibration is definitely noticeable by both front passengers but it’s nothing too crazy. Dealer inspected the mounts and they seem to be alright. Their official response was that this is normal in 4matic cars with V8 engines and MCT transmission with no torque converter and that I should just live with it. Is this vibration normal? Anyone else experience this? I got this car 2 weeks ago so I don’t know if it had the vibration before.

UPDATE: Noticed today that it only happens when I apply the brakes reeeally slowly and then come to a stop. Doesn’t happen when I depressed the brake pedal more abruptly. Also noticed today that the vibration goes away when I turn the steering wheel slightly in any direction.
My car does the same thing. I haven’t paid too close of attention to it to figure out what causes / triggers it though. I just notice a little vibration sitting at stop lights sometimes. I never have it in comfort move, but did notice it more in sport rather than sport+ for some reason. I haven’t had it looked at as it doesn’t really bother me. I kinda feel it’s a V8 and that’s the way it should be! If it gets worse and I feel like something is really broken then I’ll have it looked at. Until then, I’ll just let it rumble away
Old 03-11-2020, 03:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,341 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
At a stop wet clutch should disengage at a total stop, then the vibes go away, sometimes it'll remain slightly engaged, such as in mild application of the brakes and cause the vibes
Old 03-11-2020, 05:25 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
I have has 3 of these 213’s and the last one was the only one to vibrate. It was bad enough like yours at first that my passengers commented. It took awhile but service made go away for a bit by upping the idle a bit. It eventually came back but not as bad. The first two 18’s I had were smooth. I dumped the 19 because they couldn’t figure it out and it drove me nuts
Old 03-12-2020, 01:54 AM

W213 E63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
At a stop wet clutch should disengage at a total stop, then the vibes go away, sometimes it'll remain slightly engaged, such as in mild application of the brakes and cause the vibes
Yeah this is pretty much what’s going on. I guess I’ll just have to get used to this. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2020, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could it be the Dynamic engine mounts? I believe the mounts firm up in Sport & Sport+

I notice a rough idle on cold start at times even in comfort, but usually goes away when engine is warm.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:41 PM

W213 E63S
To anyone who might have this issue, I resolved it by replacing my front left CV axle.
The following 2 users liked this post by RF300:
Andreas63 (12-02-2021), Fero (05-05-2024)
Old 01-02-2021, 08:56 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
W213s
To anyone who might have this issue, I resolved it by replacing my front left CV axle.
Interesting.
Can you explain , who fix it , what was their reasoning to replace the cv axle .
They got lucky or they knew what they were doing?

Last edited by mack1ro; 01-03-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 587 Likes on 336 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Anyone tried spark plugs?
Old 01-03-2021, 05:31 AM

W213 E63S
Originally Posted by mack1ro
Interesting.
Can you explain , who fix it , what was their reasoning to replace the cv axel.
They got lucky or they knew what they were doing?
So you have to have specific symptoms. First it only happens in D and R with brakes applied and it goes away if you rotate your steering wheel in both directions while standing still. You can diagnose which side axle it is by lifting left or right wheel with a jack. If the vibration stops immediately as soon as the tire is slightly off the ground it is your axle that's the culprit. All 4matic cars can potentially have this problem and there are a few threads about it on the forums. When there's play in the inner CV axle or if the inner CV joint was rebuilt incorrectly (tripod cv joint) it causes vibration while idle. I could have just tried rebuilding mine but I decided to play it safe and just replace it all together. I have been trying to diagnose my vibration for almost a year and visited multiple MB dealerships, none of them could figure it out. After finding people with similar symptoms on the forums I was finally able to convince the dealership that it's the axle. (They were having a hard time believing it could be the axle causing the vibration).

Last edited by RF300; 01-03-2021 at 10:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RF300:
bobblehead (01-03-2021), Drewsky00 (01-03-2021), Fero (05-05-2024), raudiace4 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 587 Likes on 336 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
So you have to have specific symptoms. First it only happens in D and R with brakes applied and it goes away if you rotate your steering wheel in both directions while standing still. You can diagnose which side axle it is by lifting left or right wheel with a jack. If the vibration stops immediately as soon as the tire is slightly off the ground it is your axle that's the culprit. All 4matic cars can potentially have this problem and there are a few threads about it on the forums. When there's play in the inner CV axle or if the inner CV joint was rebuilt incorrectly (tripod cv joint) it causes vibration while idle. I could have just tried rebuilding mine but I decided to play it safe and just replace it all together. I have been trying to diagnose my vibration for almost a year and visited multiple MB dealerships, none of them could figure it out. After finding people with similar symptoms on the forums I was finally able to convince the dealership that it's the axle. (They were having a hard time believing it could be the axle causing the vibration).
Nice Job doing the dealers work for them. Service departments are quick to dismiss things like this and shrug.
The following users liked this post:
Rover338 (05-01-2024)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I had a very similar problem years ago on the previous model E63 and it was because it had too much oil. I took out about half a liter and it was fine. Probably not the same fix but it is weird how some things affect these cars.
Good luck.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s63
Vibration on steering wheel after car stop

Im experi
Old 04-30-2024, 09:50 PM

s63
Steering vibration at idle

I’m experiencing same issue on my 2018 s63 with 30k.
exacly the same. Car is at dealerships and they say is fine.
this is not normal. I have a gle 63s with 30k as well and this car does not do that.
any suggestions for fixing it.??

QUOTE=RF300;8238421]So you have to have specific symptoms. First it only happens in D and R with brakes applied and it goes away if you rotate your steering wheel in both directions while standing still. You can diagnose which side axle it is by lifting left or right wheel with a jack. If the vibration stops immediately as soon as the tire is slightly off the ground it is your axle that's the culprit. All 4matic cars can potentially have this problem and there are a few threads about it on the forums. When there's play in the inner CV axle or if the inner CV joint was rebuilt incorrectly (tripod cv joint) it causes vibration while idle. I could have just tried rebuilding mine but I decided to play it safe and just replace it all together. I have been trying to diagnose my vibration for almost a year and visited multiple MB dealerships, none of them could figure it out. After finding people with similar symptoms on the forums I was finally able to convince the dealership that it's the axle. (They were having a hard time believing it could be the axle causing the vibration).[/QUOTE]
Old 05-05-2024, 06:25 PM

2019 E 63 S AMG
I also have the same issue and will take it soon to the dealer to check the cv axles or more specifically cv joints. Did you try to have them check that yet?
Old 05-05-2024, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 725 Likes on 507 Posts
2018 AMG E43
This thread took an interesting turn, hmm.

I have a E43 and a couple of months ago I started getting the idle vibrations/mild shaking. I initially assumed it was the motor mounts after doing multiple 3000 RPM launches, but hadn't really had the time to look into it.

About 2 weeks ago, I saw a small puddle of grease on my garage floor directly under my LF suspension. I jacked it up and the outboard CV boot is bad and pushing the grease out. So I will soon be replacing my LF axle.

I can't really understand how the idle vibration can be linked the the axle/CV joint, as at idle, the axle is not moving but I'll surely see for sure soon when I replace the axle.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 517 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Originally Posted by Keith66
This thread took an interesting turn, hmm.

I have a E43 and a couple of months ago I started getting the idle vibrations/mild shaking. I initially assumed it was the motor mounts after doing multiple 3000 RPM launches, but hadn't really had the time to look into it.

About 2 weeks ago, I saw a small puddle of grease on my garage floor directly under my LF suspension. I jacked it up and the outboard CV boot is bad and pushing the grease out. So I will soon be replacing my LF axle.

I can't really understand how the idle vibration can be linked the the axle/CV joint, as at idle, the axle is not moving but I'll surely see for sure soon when I replace the axle.
i also had my driver side cv boot replaced on my e63. It was expensive job.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by bobblehead
i also had my driver side cv boot replaced on my e63. It was expensive job.
Ah, okay thanks for sharing that. Makes me wonder if the LF is some kind of trend. At least it seems for me, my W205 LF boot failed also.

A failed boot now is just replacing the whole axle assembly, same is what I did on my W205.

I do most of my own work on my cars but this is something I'd rather pay someone else to do. I'm probably looking at $2000-$2500 (OEM axle assembly done by an indy).

Old 05-06-2024, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 306 Likes on 225 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The axle is under a torque load when you're idling but braked. Take your foot off the brake and the car moves, right? If the joint has slop, why is it hard to imagine that torque load rattling things around?
Old 05-06-2024, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 517 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Ah, okay thanks for sharing that. Makes me wonder if the LF is some kind of trend. At least it seems for me, my W205 LF boot failed also.

A failed boot now is just replacing the whole axle assembly, same is what I did on my W205.

I do most of my own work on my cars but this is something I'd rather pay someone else to do. I'm probably looking at $2000-$2500 (OEM axle assembly done by an indy).
cost me near around $4,000 cdn at the dealer to do just that one side. Dealer told me the passenger side is a bit less and also about to go as well. Ridiculous prices 😡
Old 05-06-2024, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by whoover
The axle is under a torque load when you're idling but braked. Take your foot off the brake and the car moves, right? If the joint has slop, why is it hard to imagine that torque load rattling things around?
I can see how this could be probable. I would think if it has enough play in the joint to cause the car to shake/tremble it should also make some kind of noise when moving or driving but it doesn't make any sounds.

Maybe whatever noise it may be making is muffled by the rubber boot? I guess I'll know for sure when I get the axle replaced.

I'll make sure to post here either way.

Old 05-06-2024, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by bobblehead
cost me near around $4,000 cdn at the dealer to do just that one side. Dealer told me the passenger side is a bit less and also about to go as well. Ridiculous prices 😡
Yikes. That stings. I hope your passenger side hangs in there!