Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 2021 E63 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage
That’s an awesome build. Love the color choice. I am also considering ordering a 2021 E63 wagon. Looking to finance, and I’m just curious how the ordering process works. Do you pay your down payment when you order or or is it just a deposit up front and the down payment when you take the delivery of the vehicle? Thanks, sorry if that was answered somewhere else but couldn’t seem to find a clear answer.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Mss04a
That’s an awesome build. Love the color choice. I am also considering ordering a 2021 E63 wagon. Looking to finance, and I’m just curious how the ordering process works. Do you pay your down payment when you order or or is it just a deposit up front and the down payment when you take the delivery of the vehicle? Thanks, sorry if that was answered somewhere else but couldn’t seem to find a clear answer.
The deposit goes towards the down, but it is up to the dealer. My salesman waived it entirely. Because it's 100% refundable anyway, a lot of dealers find it a cheap good-will gesture to waive it.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
'21 E63S4S in glorious Brilliant Blue Magno
I would not be surprised if they ask for a deposit. But they may waive it. Some do, some don't. I've ordered four Mercs over the years and paid a deposit on 2 and had the deposit waived on 2. I suspect it has something to do with the "normalcy" of the order. My first CLS they waived, because it was a pretty standard build, but the second CLS, they required $1000 deposit because it had magno paint.

My dealership asked for $5000 deposit on my E63. I paid it because my order is special, and it applies to the purchase price anyway.

You don't finance (or lease) the car until it arrives. Which carries some risk. If the financing deals suck when your car arrives, you're kind of screwed. Again, my last CLS when it showed up their lease rates were not that great. I ended up getting a mediocre deal on the car. But my previous CLS came in when they had a lease special on the CLS and I got a great deal.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Quackledork
My dealership asked for $5000 deposit on my E63. I paid it because my order is special, and it applies to the purchase price anyway.
Mine was waived and it was pretty specialized too. Debadged and Burmester 3-D for instance, both pretty rare options for an E63S. I really think it depends on the SA's mood that day.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 E63s
Originally Posted by whoover
Mine was waived and it was pretty specialized too. Debadged and Burmester 3-D for instance, both pretty rare options for an E63S. I really think it depends on the SA's mood that day.
My first 19 E63s had the 3D sound. I miss it, but probably didn't need to be destroying my hearing every time I hopped in. Just picked up a new one. Hoping for better results.

OP: that mango blue is amazing.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the info, that is very helpful. I suppose I just need to talk with my dealer about it but I wanted to know beforehand what others had experienced so that I had some idea. Sounds like it is somewhat variable. The only other question I had: can every Mercedes dealer order an e63 wagon or is it only some of them? Essentially, do I need to confirm that they are actually allotted a build for the car? I’ve only got one MB dealer in my city and the next closest is at least a couple hours away.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD
I think the magno brilliant blue is a standard color for 2021, so it’s probably cheaper to spec than special order brilliant blue metallic.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Thanks for the info, that is very helpful. I suppose I just need to talk with my dealer about it but I wanted to know beforehand what others had experienced so that I had some idea. Sounds like it is somewhat variable. The only other question I had: can every Mercedes dealer order an e63 wagon or is it only some of them? Essentially, do I need to confirm that they are actually allotted a build for the car? I’ve only got one MB dealer in my city and the next closest is at least a couple hours away.
They have to have an allocated slot. They can trade slots with other dealers. This is where a dealer that's part of a large group, like Autonation, has a big advantage. In essence, the share one gigantic pool of slots. Make sure the dealer has one and is not giving you a runaround. It's best if you build the order and submit it together in front of his computer. If he can't give you the build "decade" (the 10-day period that the build is slated for), he's leading you on.
The following users liked this post:
Mss04a (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Trek Bike
It’s not about the mood, it is about following the law.
Not sure if u folks are aware, but It is illegal for dealer in CA to take deposit on the car they don’t actually have.
With custom order not even sheet metal is out of the presses....
24Hours (07-13-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
It’s not about the mood, it is about following the law.
Not sure if u folks are aware, but It is illegal for dealer in CA to take deposit on the car they don’t actually have.
With custom order not even sheet metal is out of the presses....
Do have a link to that law? I can't find any such wording.

It also doesn't make sense. If Bugatti takes an order for multi-million dollar car that's customized up the wazoo, they have no recourse if they build it in that red and green paint you specified but you decide to walk? That would pretty much mean you couldn't order an exotic in California. The entire California code is online. Show me the law.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Do have a link to that law? I can't find any such wording.

It also doesn't make sense. If Bugatti takes an order for multi-million dollar car that's customized up the wazoo, they have no recourse if they build it in that red and green paint you specified but you decide to walk? That would pretty much mean you couldn't order an exotic in California. The entire California code is online. Show me the law.
Not a legal expert, feel free to search or ask your "good mood" SA.

2c from my experience:
Dealer A demanded 10k deposit at the time of order, which i paid. Turns out they could not even get a build number.

Dealer B had build available and explained that I can get back my deposit from A because it was illegal to collect such deposit in the first place.
Cancelled order with Dealer A: 10k depots was promptly refunded and no questions asked.
Hope this helps...
24Hours (07-13-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:43 PM

So essentially I need to make sure the dealer can prove that they have a build “decade” as mentioned above, and if not don’t put down a deposit but find a dealer who can do that is what I am getting from this discussion. That’s super helpful, appreciate the advice. Any Texas buyers here who recommend a solid dealer in the state who is more likely to actually have build slots available?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
So essentially I need to make sure the dealer can prove that they have a build “decade” as mentioned above, and if not don’t put down a deposit but find a dealer who can do that is what I am getting from this discussion. That’s super helpful, appreciate the advice. Any Texas buyers here who recommend a solid dealer in the state who is more likely to actually have build slots available?
You are welcome!
Bottom line is greedy dealer will trap customer with deposit, even though they do not have allocation at the moment. This way customer is at the mercy of the dealer, until they get the allocation.

Rule of the thumb is to go with high volume dealership as their AMG allocation is directly proportional to the number of regular MBs sold.
There is also another "choke point" due to German environmental regulations: while at AMG factory tour, our guide explained their production is limited by emission rules, not by the factory capacity.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:08 PM

Received 294 Likes on 144 Posts
E63S Wagon
They should be able to show you a screen shot similar to this, confirming everything:

Mss04a (07-10-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 01:58 PM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
'21 E63S4S in glorious Brilliant Blue Magno
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
You are welcome!
Bottom line is greedy dealer will trap customer with deposit, even though they do not have allocation at the moment. This way customer is at the mercy of the dealer, until they get the allocation.

Rule of the thumb is to go with high volume dealership as their AMG allocation is directly proportional to the number of regular MBs sold.
There is also another "choke point" due to German environmental regulations: while at AMG factory tour, our guide explained their production is limited by emission rules, not by the factory capacity.
Now you have me nervous that my dealership is doing this to me. However, they did say that build dates have not been assigned on the 2021 E63 yet, and they would let me know as soon as there was one. However, that could be months from now.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Check this forum

Originally Posted by Quackledork
Now you have me nervous that my dealership is doing this to me. However, they did say that build dates have not been assigned on the 2021 E63 yet, and they would let me know as soon as there was one. However, that could be months from now.
Driving now, saw few posts with people getting November build date
Old 07-12-2020, 09:17 AM

pending
Originally Posted by Carac
CCB owner here too. The complete lack of brake dust is nice. As is the mirror sheen of the discs, and I like the bigger/fatter, bronze calipers. It's a premium but it's relatively rare and desirable option. So rare that they have been limiting build slots. My dealer had to trade a non-CCB allocation for a CCB one. No idea if coronavirus let their supplier catch up but that's the way it was last year.
That doesn't make sense that there would be a ceramic brake build slot vs steel. The brakes are an option not a vehicle allocation. That really seems hard to believe doesn't it? The availability of a set of ceramic brakes should be a piece of cake an is not a buildable issue fundamentally. Why did they tell you that? It's like telling you the 3D sound system is going to be a 100 build slot option only. They make huge profit on any of these options and would be happy to sell more ceramic brakes--just that most people don't want them because of the cost generally. Are you sure it is not because the dealer doesn't want to potentially have to sell the car if you backed out and no one would buy it for the brakes? That sounds more plausible than the factory limiting slots for a brake option.
sagres1 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by gliazzurri
That doesn't make sense that there would be a ceramic brake build slot vs steel. The brakes are an option not a vehicle allocation. That really seems hard to believe doesn't it? The availability of a set of ceramic brakes should be a piece of cake an is not a buildable issue fundamentally. Why did they tell you that? It's like telling you the 3D sound system is going to be a 100 build slot option only. They make huge profit on any of these options and would be happy to sell more ceramic brakes--just that most people don't want them because of the cost generally. Are you sure it is not because the dealer doesn't want to potentially have to sell the car if you backed out and no one would buy it for the brakes? That sounds more plausible than the factory limiting slots for a brake option.
It happens often. When there's a parts shortage, an option becomes non-orderable. When I ordered mine, there was a hold on head-up display because of a shortage of windshields. The dealer was able to trade for an earlier allocation that included it. I don't know if it goes by allocation date or maybe this one had been specced and than the customer walked. I just know that this happens.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:41 PM

pending
It happens often. When there's a parts shortage, an option becomes non-orderable. When I ordered mine, there was a hold on head-up display because of a shortage of windshields. The dealer was able to trade for an earlier allocation that included it. I don't know if it goes by allocation date or maybe this one had been specced and than the customer walked. I just know that this happens.
Has there truly been a ceramic brake shortage? I wasn't aware of that??
Yes I know of the HUD issue--my dad had the same issue on it w his S class. I just find that interesting as it would seem to not be a rare item in and of itself. I've never heard of the same for PCCBs for Porsche.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 567 Likes on 391 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
There have been shortages in the past. Parker of Vehicle Virgins had his E63s European Delivery delayed due to a CCB brake shortage. I think a member of this forum or two had delays as well.

I received my E63s on time for my ED which was a month earlier than Parker's. That was 2017. The shortages of various parts have come and gone over the last two years.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:06 PM

pending
Originally Posted by E634Me
There have been shortages in the past. Parker of Vehicle Virgins had his E63s European Delivery delayed due to a CCB brake shortage. I think a member of this forum or two had delays as well.

I received my E63s on time for my ED which was a month earlier than Parker's. That was 2017. The shortages of various parts have come and gone over the last two years.
OK, well that is definitely interesting. Is that because the rotors are only fitting this exact model, and cross-shopping on other vehicles is not used?

Last edited by gliazzurri; 07-12-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:30 AM

So I found a high volume dealer in Texas that has an allocated build slot, and submitted my build. They are going to confirm with the factory in Germany, then it will be $1,000 deposit once the build slot is confirmed. Seems reasonable to me.

Basic build is Cirrus silver paint, black cross-spoke wheels, black/titanium grey interior with carbon fiber trim, night pckage, deletion of all badges, plus some other packages/options.
b0rderman (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 10:19 AM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Cirrus Silver paint

So I found a high volume dealer in Texas that has an allocated build slot, and submitted my build. They are going to confirm with the factory in Germany, then it will be $1,000 deposit once the build slot is confirmed. Seems reasonable to me.

Basic build is Cirrus silver paint, black cross-spoke wheels, black/titanium grey interior with carbon fiber trim, night pckage, deletion of all badges, plus some other packages/options.
I’m really interested in seeing that paint color in person along with Graphite grey metallic and Cardinal red metallic all with CCB and black wheels, then I’ll be ready to place my order.
Mss04a (07-14-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
-

Last edited by Cole Roberts; 09-02-2020 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
-

Last edited by Cole Roberts; 09-30-2020 at 12:54 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2021 E63 Wagon