W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

CarPlay is so loud

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 07:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 E63 AMGs
CarPlay is so loud

Is anyone else having this issue with Apple CarPlay? Every time I get a notification or call someone using CarPlay, it is super loud (shockingly loud). I have to quickly lower the volume, but the next time Siri comes on it's extremely loud again. This happens with texts, phone, navigation (thru CarPlay, not the car's native navigation), etc. This is my only issue with the car, but it's REALLY annoying. My 2016 Suburban didn't have this issue, so I was surprised my E 63 AMG would do this.

Has this been discussed and is there a fix? I've tried everything from turning Siri's volume control way down to altering the volume of phone calls/notifications thru the car system and nothing works. CarPlay is very convenient (and safe) as I get a lot of texts while driving. Please tell me I'm missing something and there's a simple fix.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I believe it works like the command volume and you have to adjust it when the voice/ringer/beep is on. You may not be fast enough to adjust it. Have someone text/call you and have you finger on the control. I think the little yellow bar will also say something different. (If I remember all this correctly.)
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
imack (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 03:54 PM

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts
2020 AMG E63S Wagon, 2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I believe it works like the command volume and you have to adjust it when the voice/ringer/beep is on. You may not be fast enough to adjust it. Have someone text/call you and have you finger on the control. I think the little yellow bar will also say something different. (If I remember all this correctly.)
Good luck.
It certainly works this way for Android Auto. I was surprised it was so simple, very good integration.

Ivan MacKenzie.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:35 AM

2019 E63 AMGs
I've turned the volume down while the Siri voice is on pretty much every time, but maybe I need to do it during the split second beep because it's still so loud. The volume does go down with the volume knob, but the next notification is loud again. I'll keep messing with it. Otherwise the CarPlay integration is great. It's just this stupid volume thing.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,660 Posts
2019 C63CS
I don't have an E63, but a 2019 C63S. Same COMAND system and should be the same software version for MY2019 on both. I can't say I have this issue. Volume is fine and it remembers the last level. I've noticed that CarPlay like COMAND itself differentiates between several different volume levels depending on what's playing. I believe there are five different levels. Entertainment volume, Navigation volume, voice control volume, phone ringer/alert volume and phone call volume. So if I use Google Maps for example and adjust the volume during navigation instructions, it adjusts the navigation volume only. When the volume bar comes up on the display it indicates below which volume is being set. For me the volume levels seem to stick fine and nothing is overly loud after adjusting each one to my desired level. FWIW, I have an iPhone XS.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 E63S, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Originally Posted by mik34
I've turned the volume down while the Siri voice is on pretty much every time, but maybe I need to do it during the split second beep because it's still so loud. The volume does go down with the volume knob, but the next notification is loud again. I'll keep messing with it. Otherwise the CarPlay integration is great. It's just this stupid volume thing.
Same here. But it's only the Siri voice and Siri activation sound. You can turn it down but the next time you activate Car Play it seems to reset. I haven't found a solution yet.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem with Waze. Regardless of how many times I'd adjust Naviation Volume, it would go back to some crazy high volume. At the end, the trick I found was to use Apple Maps and adjusted the volume down while it was giving a turn instruction and the volume held and saved the last used volume across all Nav Carplay apps.

I'd try to adjust the volume on some of the Apple apps and see if it will hold with Siri and the other apps you're having trouble with.

My dealer was at loss and even uploading the latest COMAND update didn't do anything. They blamed Apple and said it's an Apple issue, so don't think you'll get far with your service department.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:35 AM

2019 E63 AMGs
Originally Posted by onesixeight
I had the same problem with Waze. Regardless of how many times I'd adjust Naviation Volume, it would go back to some crazy high volume. At the end, the trick I found was to use Apple Maps and adjusted the volume down while it was giving a turn instruction and the volume held and saved the last used volume across all Nav Carplay apps.

I'd try to adjust the volume on some of the Apple apps and see if it will hold with Siri and the other apps you're having trouble with.

My dealer was at loss and even uploading the latest COMAND update didn't do anything. They blamed Apple and said it's an Apple issue, so don't think you'll get far with your service department.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. Nothing else I've tried seems to be working. Not a huge deal but certainly annoying for an otherwise perfect car.