W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Unlocking the full functions of the multi-beam LED headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2022 | 02:54 AM

CL
100% 5 star rated since ever
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...lights-us.html

Last edited by pmercury; 06-23-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2022 | 03:05 PM

2022 GLE 450
Angry

Originally Posted by igxqrrl
i ordered direct. $464 including shipping. It took about 6 weeks to arrive.
I ordered mine last week; waiting for it to arrive. I do a lot of back road night driving dodging deer. Whenever the high beams turn off, I pray that this is not the time that a deer comes running across the road. Hopefully the HBs will now stay on, and I can get a earlier look at the deer. Looking forward to the upgrade.

HOWEVER, the real question here is why does MB sell products to U.S. market that don't work/can't be activated?????
Old 07-05-2022 | 03:42 PM

2020 e63s wagon
Originally Posted by TonyF61
I ordered mine last week; waiting for it to arrive. I do a lot of back road night driving dodging deer. Whenever the high beams turn off, I pray that this is not the time that a deer comes running across the road. Hopefully the HBs will now stay on, and I can get a earlier look at the deer. Looking forward to the upgrade.

HOWEVER, the real question here is why does MB sell products to U.S. market that don't work/can't be activated?????
Mercedes sells the intelligent headlight system in the US, which does work. They did not sell the mult-beam headilghts in the US, because those were illegal.

On my e63s the intelligent headlights were an $800 additional charge. Someone from Europe would have to chime in on the additional charge for multi-beam headlights in that geo, but I believe I saw somewhere that they were a multi-thousand dollar (euro?) option.

If the question is why did they include the hardware for the multi-beam headlights in the US, even if there was likely no intention of ever fully unlocking them (due to the regulatory issues), that is a manufacturing question but I suspect it costs less to have a single module that can be programmed with software than it does to have different modules. Many people would be amazed at the number of products that are otherwise identical, but 'defeatured' to meet different markets and/or price-points.
Old 07-05-2022 | 03:57 PM

2019 E 450 4 Matic T-model, 2014 Jag F-Type vert, 2004 Volvo V70R
I don’t agree. There is no way to sell a 1950s technology, automatic headlight dimming, for $800 USD unless you planning on turning on the greater functionality when it becomes legal to do so. If MBUSA insists on stiffing their customers third parties like Vlad will step in to fill the void.
Old 07-05-2022 | 04:31 PM

2020 e63s wagon
Puzzling. Mercedes has sold many, many thousands of the intelligent light system headlights for $800 (the price probably varies by car model, I'm just using the price on my car's sticker), with no announced or planned upgrade to full multi-beam capability. Thus it is demonstrably entirely possible to sell at that price.

I've got Vlad's module installed in my wagon, so I certainly understand that a software change is technically possible. I suspect nobody here is qualified to say whether the ILS with Vlad's module is legal in the US, even with the recent NHTSA ruling.
Old 07-05-2022 | 04:48 PM

2019 E 450 4 Matic T-model, 2014 Jag F-Type vert, 2004 Volvo V70R
I want to meet the person in the US who ordered the Intelligent Lights for $800. A 1955 Delco dimmer, to be sure. MBUSA putting it on inventoried cars is just stuffing the customer not selling. Rather like a resort fee. I hope MBUSA activates the full system, but it isn’t worth $460 USD to me.
Old 07-05-2022 | 10:33 PM

2015 E400 Coupe W207
Please message me if anyone is looking to get this or another service coded in Toronto - I'm happy to help - but I'm not a store or professional.

In the meantime - here are the full instructions on how to do this coding with a $30 USD OBD device, your laptop, and some software - works great, and looks wonderful! Plus you can do a full backup so you don't risk anything. Cheers!

Full Coding for activating ILS+ Headlights

Last edited by o_Rage_o; 07-06-2022 at 01:40 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by o_Rage_o:
Hundens (07-05-2022), Mitsuturbo (02-07-2024), Nails (04-26-2023), RevisionCuda (07-06-2022), wildta (04-18-2023)
Old 07-06-2022 | 08:43 AM

2022 GLE 450
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BenzNinja
Keep in mind that by messing with a OBD plug on your car you are takings risks
for a price less than this Vladicrap plug you can get a full lifetime service that allows you to have full control on your car
change/add as many options as you want like seat-belt, ILS+, transmission start-stop and much much more
you also have certified technician included that does the job for you
100% safe 100% reversible

only ILS+ with stupid plug (no revert if problems occur)
or
EVERYTHING YOU WOULD DREAM OF + maintenance, diagnostics, firmware upgrades and more for less money

think...

go to my website and use the contact form
100% 5 star rated service

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...benzninja.html
I have been looking into getting ILS+ activated. However, I expect HONESTY and TRANSPARENCY from anyone selling me a product; including MB, who should have never sold me the Advanced MultiBeam Lighting System, since it cannot be activated in the U.S. At bare minimum, they should have disclosed this to me at time of purchase, and let me decide if I wanted to waste the money on it.

Ninja, you state "Keep in mind that by messing with a OBD plug on your car you are takings risks"; however, doesn't your VCI also require a connection via the OBD port? Understandably, the user can pair their laptop or perhaps iPhone to the VCI device, but ultimately, your VCI device needs to connect to an OBD port, just as any other vendor needs to, and therefore, INHERIT THE SAME EXACT RISKS. Your DISHONEST statements are why you get so much push-back these forums.
The following users liked this post:
E634Me (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022 | 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Disparaging a competitor by calling their product vladicrap just brought the ban hammer. 1 potential customer lost forever.
The following 7 users liked this post by TugboatBill:
b0rderman (07-06-2022), Bahnstormer (07-06-2022), E634Me (07-06-2022), Hundens (07-06-2022), igxqrrl (07-06-2022), imack (07-06-2022), mjb2124 (07-08-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-06-2022 | 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2018 E63S AMG
....crap plug
stupid plug (no revert if problems occur)
Post reported. If you'd done your research, you would know that the vendor you are bashing provides a number of options that can be bundled into the purchase. The car's current configuration is saved and can be restored back to the factory settings if desired, AKA revert.

The product is in use by many forum members with great results.

You may have a product that works, it may even have more features or be easier to use or smell like rainbows while in operation, but I'll never never use it because of your bashing of another vendor for no good reason.

Last edited by E634Me; 07-06-2022 at 11:12 AM. Reason: fix typo . . . "one" to "done"
igxqrrl (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022 | 11:49 AM

2022 GLE 450
Mercedes sells the intelligent headlight system in the US, which does work. They did not sell the mult-beam headilghts in the US, because those were illegal.

On my e63s the intelligent headlights were an $800 additional charge. Someone from Europe would have to chime in on the additional charge for multi-beam headlights in that geo, but I believe I saw somewhere that they were a multi-thousand dollar (euro?) option.

If the question is why did they include the hardware for the multi-beam headlights in the US, even if there was likely no intention of ever fully unlocking them (due to the regulatory issues), that is a manufacturing question but I suspect it costs less to have a single module that can be programmed with software than it does to have different modules. Many people would be amazed at the number of products that are otherwise identical, but 'defeatured' to meet different markets and/or price-points.
From MBUSA.com..

"Pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, active LED headlamps can generate light that's perceived much like natural daylight. Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist continuously adjust the beam pattern of the LEDs in each headlamp to help maximize the illumination of corners and straightaways, without creating glare for other drivers. An Ultra Wide Highbeam feature is designed to better illuminate the road and the environment along either side."

Mine do none of that, they just function as a basic auto high beam. They put on a little light show when I turn on the engine but that's it. Not even articulating around turns. And yes I do have the multi-beam headlights.

Old 07-06-2022 | 12:40 PM

2015 E400 Coupe W207
From MBUSA.com..

"Pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, active LED headlamps can generate light that's perceived much like natural daylight. Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist continuously adjust the beam pattern of the LEDs in each headlamp to help maximize the illumination of corners and straightaways, without creating glare for other drivers. An Ultra Wide Highbeam feature is designed to better illuminate the road and the environment along either side."

Mine do none of that, they just function as a basic auto high beam. They put on a little light show when I turn on the engine but that's it. Not even articulating around turns. And yes I do have the multi-beam headlights.
Hi Tony, since you have the multibeam headlights, if you enable the options like in the Video I posted, or get someone to do it for you - you will enjoy all the cool stuff it has to offer! I really enjoy it on my personal car.

Basically, the ENTIRE coding is all about changing one option again and again from US headlight spec to EURO headlight spec. You will also not *mess up your car* doing this coding, it's setting options not actually typing in special numbers and letters by hand. Plus you can backup the whole thing pretty easily in case you can't remember that your Old settings were USA everything instead of EURO everything.

Old 07-06-2022 | 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2018 E63S AMG
I use the Vlad plug and it functions great. I get all the advertised functionality. You can drive behind someone and see the high beams are on and watch it delete the light from a box around the car in front and see it move as both cars follow contours in the road or hit bumps, etc. Likewise for the oncoming cars.

Pimp your own product all you want but please do it without unfairly bashing the products of others.
Old 07-06-2022 | 12:50 PM

2015 E400 Coupe W207
Thanks to this thread starting me on the idea, and the help of a few friends around the internet - I've put together this coding table for anyone that needs help.

Overview
1) In total you will connect to 5 ECUs - Central Gateway, Chassis Gateway, Your instrument Cluster, and Left and Right headlights
2) In total you will set 18 options to basically "on" or "euro"

Backups
To Save an ECU file and prevent screwups - Connect to ECU, click variant coding, and click Save file - select a location on your hard disk. Done.

Coding Instructions / How to use table
Connect to ECU
Open Variant Coding
Select the Dropdown stated from the services dropdown menu
Select the Fragment from the Fragment Dropdown menu
Select the value in the value table
Repeat for each line in the table until done with ECU, and click hard_reset to save changes
Goto Next ECU and repeat the process

IHS+ Multibeam Enabler Coding Instructions by o_Rage_o

IHS+ Multibeam Enabler Coding Instruction Table by o_Rage_o

Last edited by o_Rage_o; 07-06-2022 at 12:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by o_Rage_o:
Mitsuturbo (02-07-2024), wildta (04-18-2023)
Old 07-06-2022 | 12:57 PM

2022 GLE 450
Talking

Originally Posted by o_Rage_o
Hi Tony, since you have the multibeam headlights, if you enable the options like in the Video I posted, or get someone to do it for you - you will enjoy all the cool stuff it has to offer! I really enjoy it on my personal car.

Basically, the ENTIRE coding is all about changing one option again and again from US headlight spec to EURO headlight spec. You will also not *mess up your car* doing this coding, it's setting options not actually typing in special numbers and letters by hand. Plus you can backup the whole thing pretty easily in case you can't remember that your Old settings were USA everything instead of EURO everything.
Thanks for the video. I have bookmarked it. I'm sure i will take advantage of it.
Old 07-06-2022 | 01:00 PM

2022 GLE 450
this is correct
you don't need that junk VladiCrap plug
I'm trying to understand the process so that I can make an informed decision when I am ready to pull the trigger. So, what makes your OBD connection less risky then the other OBD connections?
Old 07-06-2022 | 01:23 PM

2015 E400 Coupe W207
Originally Posted by [color=#333333
TonyF61]I'm trying to understand the process so that I can make an informed decision when I am ready to pull the trigger. So, what makes your OBD connection less risky then the other OBD connections?
The risks using a plug in ODB port remain the same - limited and low (static? misaligned entry? low battery voltage during operation? poor quality physical tool?), instead the risk lies in the execution of steps (and potentially quality of tool):

Using an online auto-plug is like using a Tesla with AutoPilot - its great until something "different" is on the road than what the program expected. It is susceptible to bugs because no one expected a broken exhaust to appear on the road in front of you, so the automated plug can't handle what a human driver easily could. Usually, when this happens, the attempt is to restore from backup, the author reviews the logs to see the bug, modify the scripted execution and release a new version of the plug.

Manual coding using your own plug / having someone remote control a plug - is like using a Tesla without AutoPilot - you drive, you see something unusual on the road like a piece of exhaust, you know how many lanes you should move over, what safe speed to go, and how to continue easily.

Each car is unique, with it's own options, so these "broken exhausts" can appear as even a slight change to the name of an option, location and order on a list, etc. As your car is updated from Mercedes and the names of an option or location of an option change, the "auto pilot" needs to be updated to handle exceptions. A manual coder does not need to be "updated", they would just say "oh ...where did it go", and find the option they wanted elsewhere.

Last edited by o_Rage_o; 07-06-2022 at 01:37 PM.
BenzNinja (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022 | 01:34 PM

2022 GLE 450
Its manual coding, not a automated script
the "regular" normal ways of coding are done with software, a person with knowledge, backups and care
if that plug goes wrong with that automatic coding, for some reason something was wrong with your car before it started, if a dealer workshop for some reason upgrades some firmware in the future and that old coding is not compatible
well, you always have a last solution, go to the dealer and have him re-code all 4-5 involved modules to stock
I'm sure that that plug worked on most cases, but it's just NOT the way to code these MB
NOT

It's like a marriage with a Fake Elvis Presley in Las Vegas
but some like it ))))) I don't

Now those who think I am running desperately after customers, you are dreaming, I am refusing customers because Quality is before money in my eyes
and sorry to be a little rough in my language
So, if I understand you correctly, it is not the OBD connections, because they either work or they don't, but rather the person doing the coding. I don't know Vlad, and have never spoken to him. However, based on what you are saying, I guess you have a much different opinion regarding his quality of work then many other satisfied customers of his that subscribe to this forum. Again, making disparaging comments about a competitor of yours is disrespectful and there should be place for comments like that on this forum. I'm sure Vlad would like to say a few things about you (my opinion, not his), but, by keeping those comments to himself, he seems to be a more professional and classy person than you appear to be. Therefore, I will be crossing you (Ninja) off my short list. Thanks for making that easy.
Old 07-06-2022 | 01:45 PM

2022 GLE 450
I understand
but i don't see a competitor here
It's like buying frozen food and having a Chef cooking your food.
If he is not a competitor, then why do you bother to make negative comments about him? Promote your business and move on. Leave others out of it. Sorry everyone, I got carried away. ENOUGH SAID ON THIS TOPIC, from me..
TugboatBill (07-07-2022)
Old 07-06-2022 | 02:05 PM

2020 e63s wagon
From MBUSA.com..

My understanding, and MBUSA may be partaking of some word-smithing here, is that there is a distinction between adaptive highbeam assist, which technically does what they say above, and multibeam assist. Here's their description of adaptive highbeam assist:
When the high beam is switched on, Adaptive Highbeam Assist always makes the best possible headlamp range available while avoiding dazzling oncoming traffic. The driver barely needs to make use of the high beam switch and is able to concentrate better on driving. Adaptive Highbeam Assist uses continuous input from a camera to automatically vary the range of the high-beam headlamps based on the distance to oncoming vehicles and any vehicles travelling ahead of you.
This talks about varying the range, but not the "boxing out" effect that you get from multi-beam assist, which is described here:
, but the narrator does also mention explicitly that, prior to 2022, this was not allowed in the US.

That said, even before I installed Vlad's Awesome Module, I did get auto high beam dimming and, when turning a sharp corner at low speeds (e.g. into my driveway), I got corner illumination. Some of these features can be enabled/disabled in the computer, but if you paid for ILS and aren't getting any of that, you should see your dealer. There's something wrong.

But the multi-beam is different than this. Before this year it was illegal in the US, and even now I would not be surprised if systems need to be explicitly qualified by regulators before they can be used.
Old 07-06-2022 | 02:51 PM

2022 GLE 450
My understanding, and MBUSA may be partaking of some word-smithing here, is that there is a distinction between adaptive highbeam assist, which technically does what they say above, and multibeam assist. Here's their description of adaptive highbeam assist:

This talks about varying the range, but not the "boxing out" effect that you get from multi-beam assist, which is described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmQ-xlYHu9Y , but the narrator does also mention explicitly that, prior to 2022, this was not allowed in the US.

That said, even before I installed Vlad's Awesome Module, I did get auto high beam dimming and, when turning a sharp corner at low speeds (e.g. into my driveway), I got corner illumination. Some of these features can be enabled/disabled in the computer, but if you paid for ILS and aren't getting any of that, you should see your dealer. There's something wrong.

But the multi-beam is different than this. Before this year it was illegal in the US, and even now I would not be surprised if systems need to be explicitly qualified by regulators before they can be used.
Thanks for the Video. It was my understanding that High Beam Assist became standard on 2022 GLE450, which is what I have. I also paid for "LED Intelligent Light System" and my headlights have "Multibeam LED" engraved on them. I will look into what Vlad has to offer, and few others as well. BTW, MB SA knows nothing about multi-beam assist.
Old 07-06-2022 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

go fast grocery getter wagon
sometimes you can't really fault them for not knowing as there are simply way too many tech gadgets in the vehicles these days and with so many trims and models in the line up, the customers actually may know a lot more than any SA out there.
Old 08-29-2022 | 12:35 PM
CJL

CLA45
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
i don't wanna hurt your business plans but why are you charging somebody $510 + $40 shipping for an OBD-II port, $2 in hardware, and the exact same stuff someobdy can do if they had a $20 CAN adapter plugged into their car with a shell script (start diag mode to module, do seed/key, change variant coding / activate special routine to recalibrate)

i get it, by all means, make your money man. it's just very ouchie. on MHH auto they sell tunes for $99 + coding for $99 as well. $99 is a good price. you didn't develop any of the solution. you stole it from sniffing xentry/vediamo/monaco CAN traffic and now if you sell 50 you are gonna make $25k in revenue off of your fellow car/tuner comrades. i wanna make $25k too, but not by ripping people off. :P
Has anyone else made this product for the W213? $500 is way too steep for me. Thanks.
skim7x (08-29-2022)
Old 09-01-2022 | 09:46 AM

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (sold)
Now that I am located in Germany with my U.S. Spec Wagon, can I ask the dealership here to "turn on" all the functions of my Multi-beam LED Headlights?

I imagine there could be some small difficulties getting German programming software to work on a U.S. spec'd car, but there has to be a way.

Mike
Old 09-01-2022 | 10:03 AM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by CJL
Has anyone else made this product for the W213? $500 is way too steep for me. Thanks.
I have a '22 GLE 450, so clearly, I am in the wrong thread. However, I had my headlights coded by rjautomotive.net . They work great!!. I had a few other things done at the same time, but I believe the headlights can be done for around $250. If you email them your VIN, they will let you know if compatible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unlocking the full functions of the multi-beam LED headlights