W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63s exhaust flaps permanent fix FINALLY!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 06:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E63S
E63s exhaust flaps permanent fix FINALLY!!

After having this problem for so many months, searching for solutions, fighting with Mercedes to replace the exhaust and actuators and searching for information on these flaps I finally built a solution that fixes this PERMANENTLY! These are what I learnt:

1) Audi has a very similar actuator but it does not work on our cars. They look exactly the same but they don’t seem to be compatible with our cars. Possibly one uses PWM and the other doesn’t, that I am not sure of.

2) The flaps appear to perform a ‘self test’. The actuators by themselves can rotate close to 270 degrees so if you remove the springs to separate the actuators from the flaps, the car will go into limp mode because it sees more than 90degrees rotation which is the angle of rotation of the flaps themselves.

With my solution, the exhaust button still is operational, however because I physically locked my rear flaps to be open all the time, the only change in exhaust note you will observe is when the center flap is activated/deactivated. Essentially what I did is:

1) remove the actuators from the exhaust completely

2)lock the flaps open (physically with another setup which bolts to the flaps and holds the flaps in the closed position) You can lock it in any position you like

3) make an adapter plate which the actuator is bolted to separately off the exhaust. There are adjustable stops to set the angle of rotation to 90 degrees

With this setup the car thinks the flaps are moving however they are not. The physical stops on the adapter plate limits angle of rotation so car will not go in limp mode.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I’m considering doing a video showing the entire setup so it’s easier to see.
My IG is @charlesmax74.

Hope this helps.
The following 7 users liked this post by Charles Maxwell:
amg guy (Yesterday), bobblehead (05-29-2021), bullmrkt (05-29-2021), Cylinder Head (05-30-2021), Pbl1 (05-30-2021), SEXYBEAST (05-30-2021), spazmoid (05-29-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-29-2021, 11:35 PM

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts
AMG E63 Hammer Wagon. Alfa, Rover, Ferrari, Porsche.
Hm, very interesting, good work. And yes a video or at least a couple photos would be great.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Charles Maxwell
After having this problem for so many months, searching for solutions, fighting with Mercedes to replace the exhaust and actuators and searching for information on these flaps I finally built a solution that fixes this PERMANENTLY! These are what I learnt:

1) Audi has a very similar actuator but it does not work on our cars. They look exactly the same but they don’t seem to be compatible with our cars. Possibly one uses PWM and the other doesn’t, that I am not sure of.

2) The flaps appear to perform a ‘self test’. The actuators by themselves can rotate close to 270 degrees so if you remove the springs to separate the actuators from the flaps, the car will go into limp mode because it sees more than 90degrees rotation which is the angle of rotation of the flaps themselves.

With my solution, the exhaust button still is operational, however because I physically locked my rear flaps to be open all the time, the only change in exhaust note you will observe is when the center flap is activated/deactivated. Essentially what I did is:

1) remove the actuators from the exhaust completely

2)lock the flaps open (physically with another setup which bolts to the flaps and holds the flaps in the closed position) You can lock it in any position you like

3) make an adapter plate which the actuator is bolted to separately off the exhaust. There are adjustable stops to set the angle of rotation to 90 degrees

With this setup the car thinks the flaps are moving however they are not. The physical stops on the adapter plate limits angle of rotation so car will not go in limp mode.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I’m considering doing a video showing the entire setup so it’s easier to see.
My IG is @charlesmax74.

Hope this helps.
Does this mean you left the center actuators intact in the exhaust?
Old 05-31-2021, 07:54 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by kponti
Does this mean you left the center actuators intact in the exhaust?
Yes, the center flaps are untouched.

I am working on my second revision that will essentially be a sandwich plate that will be between the actuator and exhaust with the ability to lock the flap in any position you desire.

By the way, the car sounds awesome with the flaps open all the time!! Love it.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:02 PM

2018 E63S
Here are a few pics of my first revision.
The second revision I will be using the milling machine to produce.

Actuator bolted to plate

Actuator bolted to plate

Old 06-01-2021, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Yes, the center flaps are untouched.

I am working on my second revision that will essentially be a sandwich plate that will be between the actuator and exhaust with the ability to lock the flap in any position you desire.

By the way, the car sounds awesome with the flaps open all the time!! Love it.
I think the center flaps probably close when you want the car to be louder and open when you want the car quieter (basically work opposite of the rear actuators).
Now will that mean those will not affect the car in terms of limp mode when the actuator goes bad?
Old 06-01-2021, 03:30 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by kponti
I think the center flaps probably close when you want the car to be louder and open when you want the car quieter (basically work opposite of the rear actuators).
Now will that mean those will not affect the car in terms of limp mode when the actuator goes bad?

It definitely will. If the center flap fails the car will go in limp mode as well. However, I have never heard of anyone having this issue. The actuator looks identical dimensionally so if needed you can do the same conversion as I have on the rear flaps.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 595 Likes on 341 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Very nice. Another solution would be cut off the mufflers, physically remove the valve and actuator, re-weld and plug back in the motors. Both ways work, this is much simpler.

The following users liked this post:
Charles Maxwell (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
such long PITA Solutions

The one I did was much simpler

from outside the muffler, lock the flaps open ( while the car is switched off ) by using hard metal silk or something that will not got screwed up.

put the key position on 2 , code the car that it doesn't have sport exhaust ( like E63 non S version ) the button will work, but nothing will happen to the sound or flaps .

thats it
Old 06-02-2021, 09:37 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
such long PITA Solutions

The one I did was much simpler

from outside the muffler, lock the flaps open ( while the car is switched off ) by using hard metal silk or something that will not got screwed up.

put the key position on 2 , code the car that it doesn't have sport exhaust ( like E63 non S version ) the button will work, but nothing will happen to the sound or flaps .

thats it
How do you code the car to change that option?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
How do you code the car to change that option?
with a shop that has Star tool for coding
Old 08-31-2021, 07:55 PM

2018 E63S
Hi guys,
Quite alot of you guys have reached out for EFBs (exhaust Flap Bypasses) and thanks for the support. I should have posted pics a longtime ago but I have been so busy. Here they are...finally.

For those seeing these for the first time, they are used to solve the sticking exhaust flaps issue that's popular on the AMGs with sport exhaust. They can be easily installed and removed in case of warranty work.

You can reach me on IG at @charlesmax74 or whatsapp/call/text at 604-868-7468.

Thanks again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Maxwell:
SDE63CC (04-25-2023), Serge81 (06-10-2022)