Motor mount replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 06:32 PM

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
21 E63s wagon
Motor mount replacement

Hi all,

While I was getting my HERMES module installed, I was made aware that I need to replace one of my motor mounts on my 2021 E63s. My service agent states that to access the mount, you have to remove one of the control arms on the car. The car will also need an alignment after that.

Has anyone had this issue before, especially on a car with barely 2500 miles? And it requires removing a control arm? That’s covered under warranty, but I’m curious if the alignment will be since it’s related to the issue the car is in the shop for. I was that while this is not a “recall issue,” it is something that other drivers have had to do. Anyone with experience on this?
Old 05-23-2022, 08:00 PM

Received 215 Likes on 140 Posts
E63s SL550 GL450
Seems strange at 2500 miles. I'm not able to offer insight on the control arm needing to be removed. I suppose if you are running it hard from a start or at the dragstrip it may increase the likelihood. My 2021 E63s has around 8000 miles and no issue with engine mounts. We also have a 2014 SL550 with 50,000 on it and still has the original engine mounts. We have two 2016 GL450. One had them go out at 65,000 and the other is in timeout right now waiting for engine and transmission mounts to be delivered. It has 38,000 miles.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by ska597
Hi all,

While I was getting my HERMES module installed, I was made aware that I need to replace one of my motor mounts on my 2021 E63s. My service agent states that to access the mount, you have to remove one of the control arms on the car. The car will also need an alignment after that.

Has anyone had this issue before, especially on a car with barely 2500 miles? And it requires removing a control arm? That’s covered under warranty, but I’m curious if the alignment will be since it’s related to the issue the car is in the shop for. I was that while this is not a “recall issue,” it is something that other drivers have had to do. Anyone with experience on this?
Unless they claim that the mount failed because of abuse (which is unlikely) this will all be covered by warranty, including the alignment.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:17 AM

21 E63s wagon
Originally Posted by whoover
Unless they claim that the mount failed because of abuse (which is unlikely) this will all be covered by warranty, including the alignment.
That’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks. Any idea how a motor mount can fail so quickly?
Old 05-24-2022, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,899 Likes on 2,609 Posts
2019 C63CS
Must be from a faulty batch. The AMG S models have dynamic engines mounts, so they are more complicated than your regular engine mounts. They have special fluid in them that allows the mounts to hold on to the engine more tightly for dynamic driving and more relaxed for comfortable driving.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2021 AMG C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by superswiss
Must be from a faulty batch. The AMG S models have dynamic engines mounts, so they are more complicated than your regular engine mounts. They have special fluid in them that allows the mounts to hold on to the engine more tightly for dynamic driving and more relaxed for comfortable driving.
I heard from a C63s owner that if u drive in Sports + rather then Comfort Mode, the dynamic motor mounts will last longer I don't know if that's true though, anyone know?
Old 05-30-2022, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,899 Likes on 2,609 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by The2021amgc63s
I heard from a C63s owner that if u drive in Sports + rather then Comfort Mode, the dynamic motor mounts will last longer I don't know if that's true though, anyone know?
I have not specifically heard of anything like this. However, engine mounts do have rubber parts and the more things move I suppose the quicker the mount ages and wears. Kinda like an underinflated tire wears quicker as the compound flexes more under the weight of the car and gets hotter. However, starting with the FL models, AMG has reprogrammed the engine mounts. They are now mainly speed based. Meaning they tighten up with speed, rather than based on the mode. So even in Sport+, if you just doodle around, the engine mounts relax to provide more comfort. I wouldn't really worry too much about it. The dynamic engine mounts are not known to fail regularly, but all engine mounts eventually wear out.
The following users liked this post:
The2021amgc63s (05-30-2022)

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2022, 07:42 PM

21 E63s wagon
For those who need this service now or in the future, apparently they have to remove the subframe to access the engine mount which then necessitates an alignment to be done on the car. Thankfully warranty covers all of it. It’s taking my dealer two weeks to complete this job. Part of that is because the technician called out for two days. The good news is that I’ll have had a free alignment on the car, which I think it needed because of these crappy Boston roads and switching between winter to summer tires.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300, 2018 C63s, 2019 E450 Wagon
I have a 2018 c63s that has been stuck in limp mode for 3+ months now. We have fixed a few things that we found and then I found this thread. I had an air temp sensor that wasn't seated right with corrosion, it was giving false data and was causing the motor to dump the boost at 4600rpms and now the motor is in limp mode. Corrected the air sensor and now the boost does not blowout, but the engine is only making 275hp. I replaced the plugs at 31k and did a compression test, all cylinders good. Still only making 275hp!! Scoped the cats through the O2 sensors, looking for maybe a clog or even a melt down. I had EGTs readings of 1700 degrees reported. After checking both cats, they were spotless. We then found a bad battery!! Changed the battery and went back to Mercedes for my Xentry reboot and to code the new battery. After I finally got through to the shop manger that you can have issues with no check engine light, We plugged into Xentry and low and behold!!... tons of Low voltage codes. This is AFTER shop manger already pulled up the Xentry scan from earlier and said "Look not one voltage code" They were able to clear the error codes except 1. It was for a motor mount and they could NOT clear that one code. I was happy with what they found and went back to the Dyno. My pulls were nice and smooth BUT still at 275hp. Heading back to Mercedes on 10/03/23 to re check my car through Xentry and check for any new codes. I then have to replace that motor mount that is malfunctioning. They are hoping it is because that mount can't function, and is causing the error code, It's keeping the car in limp mode without a check engine light. I can not tell you how hard it has been to get it through to the M.B. dealer, that there can still be an issue with out a check engine light. This has been going on for months and I have spent thousand of dollars on diagnostics, repairs (with no change) and Dyno's to prove to these Master Mechanics at M.B. that my car is not right....