C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

CLS 63 Oil In Harness 2 Friends

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 Cls 63 AMG- 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock Edition
CLS 63 Oil In Harness 2 Friends

Actually 3 friends, 6SpeedDave( via text) in Florida have been helping me today clean engine harness of oil from leaking Cam Sensors that ALL of you 2012-2013 CLS 63 AMG owners are going to deal with you have not already.
Anyway if you need some help contact me and I will help you in any way. In the mean time here is a pic of my 12 year old friend Weller and buddy Elmer helping me today! Cheers

Rosco
Old 01-13-2018, 02:50 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55
No amount of cleaning I do to the harness is getting rid of the oil. A week later and I still see some oil on the ecu pins. 3 of the cam shaft sensors are factory and don't leak, the one that was leaking was replaced with the newest p/n and whatever oil was still in the harness is now leaking back into the new sensor lol. This is oil strictly between the ecu pins and the new camshaft sensor, I don't see a hint of oil on any other sensor so most likely I am going to replace the whole engine harness. Just a note, I never had any issues such as check engine lights or misfires, but after cleaning the my car every week and seeing the oil is starting to annoy me. Maybe cleaning it for the millionth time will finally get it all out.

Last edited by Mikeki7; 01-13-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 AM

Oil in Harness Weller 12 Buddy

Hello

I since your frustration when I read you say no amount of cleaning.... million times...

If one sensor goes bad why not replace all of them with the new manufactured ones? At around only $40 bucks a piece to boot, And 10 minutes time?
There are members On here who have cleaned the harness with success
I was going to replace my harness until I met some folks on here, yesterday was my first DEEP clean I plan on cleaning my ECU daily -every other day until it cleans up if I get near a thousandth time I will quit and replace! Try my two buddy’s Elmer Lee and Weller 12. They make the job enjoyable!
Cheers OH here is my ECU before and after.

Again 2012, 2013 Even 2014 CLS 63 AMG owners for less than an hour and under 200 bucks you can AVOID all this mess! If anyone needs help or has questions feel free to email or PM!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55
To answer your pm, my car is a 2012 cls63 with 96k miles currently. I discovered the leaking sensor while cleaning around in my engine bay and then oil on my ecu when I was getting it retuned, though only the bottom right 4 pins have oil on them, much less then your ecu. I figured if I am not replacing the harness then I wont replace the other sensors that are not leaking. I know mercedes had a service campaign that covered 2005-2011 vehicles with leaky cam sensors so the problem should have been fixed by 2012. I figured not everyone has this issue so I will wait and see what happens. If I do end up replacing the harness I will definitely replace the other sensors with it.

Last edited by Mikeki7; 01-13-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS 63 AMG
Coincidence?

I drive a 2012 CLS 63 AMG imported from Canada to Kuwait. The vehicle was driven in both extreme heat and cold conditions which always led me to believe thats the reason for all the problems in the vehicle.

I finally stumbled upon this article that slightly made me feel better knowing I’m not alone. For a long time the vehicle has been jerking from idle, revving a few times aggressively before moving even whilst holding the brakes at 0 km/h.

After a whole year suffering from this problem, I found out today about the exact same oil leak mentioned above in the engine harness. With more research I found out that it is a common problem and in my opinion some recall should be done on these parts.

Did any one face similar symptoms or find a solution?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Very common on m276, m278, M157. Cleaning likely won't work. Cam sensors are the root cause
Old 11-06-2019, 01:32 AM

Hello, with all due respect cleaning for many of us is all that was needed once we changed the cam sensors. Albeit it took me 3 times wiping off my ECU. Car runs great, no issues

Rosco
Old 11-14-2019, 08:12 AM

CLS63 AMG C218
Originally Posted by mishref
I drive a 2012 CLS 63 AMG imported from Canada to Kuwait. The vehicle was driven in both extreme heat and cold conditions which always led me to believe thats the reason for all the problems in the vehicle.

I finally stumbled upon this article that slightly made me feel better knowing I’m not alone. For a long time the vehicle has been jerking from idle, revving a few times aggressively before moving even whilst holding the brakes at 0 km/h.

After a whole year suffering from this problem, I found out today about the exact same oil leak mentioned above in the engine harness. With more research I found out that it is a common problem and in my opinion some recall should be done on these parts.

Did any one face similar symptoms or find a solution?
Yes my car as the same symptoms I just don't know what it is!
Old 11-23-2019, 07:32 PM

W463 G55, Gran Turismo MC Sportline, Ducati 999, Ducati 696, Honda Helix, Transit Connect
Hey guys, first post.

2012 CLS 63 AMG. 103k Mi
Driving home from dinner last night and started to egt a rough idle, feels like a random misfire. No CEL. Driving is ok, but still misfires pretty bad and jerk/kicks. Got it home and started to look around. Found oil in both the ECU and Cam sensor connectors (all 4). Looks like I got bit too.

Has anyone had the misfire/rough idle/bucking-jerking from this issue?

Ordered new sensors tonight, going to flush the connectors a few times between now and the time they arrive. Hoping for the best. May open the ECU case up and look for contamination there as well.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:32 PM

CLS63 AMG C218
Originally Posted by ThechazzCom
Hey guys, first post.

2012 CLS 63 AMG. 103k Mi
Driving home from dinner last night and started to egt a rough idle, feels like a random misfire. No CEL. Driving is ok, but still misfires pretty bad and jerk/kicks. Got it home and started to look around. Found oil in both the ECU and Cam sensor connectors (all 4). Looks like I got bit too.

Has anyone had the misfire/rough idle/bucking-jerking from this issue?

Ordered new sensors tonight, going to flush the connectors a few times between now and the time they arrive. Hoping for the best. May open the ECU case up and look for contamination there as well.
When you say Jerk/kicks are you talking about taking off the lights?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:20 PM

W463 G55, Gran Turismo MC Sportline, Ducati 999, Ducati 696, Honda Helix, Transit Connect
Originally Posted by CLS63amgs
When you say Jerk/kicks are you talking about taking off the lights?
All driving but more noticeable at low speeds.

Also found my left bank extremely rich. Both pre and post cat 02 sensors maxed. Weird thing is the ecu is commanding the injectors to pulse twice as long one the left bank as well.... 1.33 vs. 65ms at idle.

Not sure why it's trying to run rich and see itself rich at the same time.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:20 AM

2012 R350
R350 with oil in engine harness

Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Very common on m276, m278, M157. Cleaning likely won't work. Cam sensors are the root cause
i know the thread I entered is not about my model, but it is about my problem. I have a 2012 R350 with the exact same issue. I have a check engine light. The dealership said I have a faulty Right O2 sensor, but the problem causing the light is an oil leak in the Engine Harness. I am the original owner of my car, and it is in great shape with only 70K miles. Do you think the Cam Sensors will fix the problem on my model as well? What other steps do you recommend?