Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Buying from Tire Rack--BAD experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
Buying from Tire Rack--BAD experience

I just thought people should know my bad experience trying to buy a set of tires from Tire Rack.

Everything was going well at first. Talked to Luke and got a good recommendation on tires. Gave him my credit card number and the rest and all was good.

Then, I get emails and calls from their customer service department. Apparently having my CC number and CVV code and billing address and phone number is not enough for them. They wanted a phone number that is listed in the phone book. My phone is unlisted. So they wanted my cell phone number. That is under my business and not in my name. Give me a break.

If this is how Tire Rack has made it big on this forum, then I dont get it.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by prsmith777
I just thought people should know my bad experience trying to buy a set of tires from Tire Rack.

Everything was going well at first. Talked to Luke and got a good recommendation on tires. Gave him my credit card number and the rest and all was good.

Then, I get emails and calls from their customer service department. Apparently having my CC number and CVV code and billing address and phone number is not enough for them. They wanted a phone number that is listed in the phone book. My phone is unlisted. So they wanted my cell phone number. That is under my business and not in my name. Give me a break.

Being in business these days is not an easy event. Accepting credit cards is an even more daunting task with all of the fraud that is so prevalent. My businesses have accepted credit cards, in person, swiped on a card reader, that have still been "charged back" because the card owner alleged the transaction was fraudulent. I think Tire Rack is merely being prudent in their acceptance of the plastic.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Tire Rack is a fine company and if this issue is not insurmountable, then you should also be satisfied.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:57 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
your experinece is not indicative of the way we operate but, in our defense we are just trying to verify the charge and protect you from fraudulent CC activity .... call me I'm sure i can get it resolved for you ASAP
Old 01-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
i think that this thread would be a better promotional thread than one signifying a bad experience. I greatly appriciate it when a company, especially an online company, goes out of their way to ensure that the purchase being made on my credit card is authorized and correct. I actaully get really irritated at places that are starting to not even require signatures because the purchase price is below a specific dollar ammount.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
When I read the 1st line of this thread I was expecting something bad. It turned out to be nothing.

Luke seems to be a straight up guy to me and helps countless people with tire/wheel questions,offsets,fitment etc. Looks like the Tirerack is looking out for you aswell prsmith777.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:01 PM

Tire Rack

I have purchased over 10 sets of tires from the rack! Most of them from Luke.. Every purchase has been Perfect! Low Price, Fast shippment, and good information from Luke.... I have even got support on wheels and tires that I was buying from other venders! I just bought a CLS with MC1s 20" and left a message for luke about the tires, and he called back within 2 hours of the message.....

The more fraud that hits them, the more it will cost for our tires!

Just food for thought......
Old 01-25-2006, 02:58 PM

2004 ML 350
Smile Tire Rack

Bought 3 sets of tires from Tire Rack before & had no problems with them either. Planning to get a new set of Yokos for my ML soon too!

BRML350
Old 01-25-2006, 03:05 PM

2001 E320
I haven't purchased from the Tire Rack yet, but can't agree with you that by them taking the extra step to prevent credit card fraud that it should be labeled as a 'bad experience'.

Myself, I like it when companies actually take the time to verify the transaction because in the end, we all pay more for products due to unchecked fraud.

You should feel good that it isn't likely someone else will be using YOUR credit card to buy a set of tires and wheels from the Tire Rack!!

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 01-26-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
I had no problems when I ordered my tires & rims,
Old 01-30-2006, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Bought two sets of tires and one set of AMG wheels w/ total satisfaction!

Call Luke and get over it.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)

Try signing up for a Pay Pal account and go through their verification process!
Old 02-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Almost a Member!

'99 SL600 Sport
You're obviously not in business for yourself. If you were, you might comprehend that when fraud occurs, the thief gets what he wants, the credit card owner gets refunded and the credit card processors are protected by putting through a "chargeback". So, not only does the vendor get a permanent black mark on his merchant record, but he has also permanently lost the merchandise he bought to resell, plus the money to take the credit card payment too.

Therefore, your "experience" is typical on high priced items, especially when the purchaser puts in an incorrect billing addy, non-matching zip or wants it shipped to another address - these are all RED FLAGS.

Considering that one or more of the above scenarios likely took place, and it takes staff time to resolve the issue (that you're not paying for), how you can fault the guy for protecting his business???

You come off as petty, in the extreme. Were I in his shoes, I would refuse to do business with you.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by SandyinMiami
You're obviously not in business for yourself. If you were, you might comprehend that when fraud occurs, the thief gets what he wants, the credit card owner gets refunded and the credit card processors are protected by putting through a "chargeback". So, not only does the vendor get a permanent black mark on his merchant record, but he has also permanently lost the merchandise he bought to resell, plus the money to take the credit card payment too.

Therefore, your "experience" is typical on high priced items, especially when the purchaser puts in an incorrect billing addy, non-matching zip or wants it shipped to another address - these are all RED FLAGS.

Considering that one or more of the above scenarios likely took place, and it takes staff time to resolve the issue (that you're not paying for), how you can fault the guy for protecting his business???

You come off as petty, in the extreme. Were I in his shoes, I would refuse to do business with you.
Ya! What s/he said.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:02 AM

03 E500
Although I didn't get all that verification troubles when I place my orders but sounds like tirerack is doing a find job of preventing fraud and protecting their customers and themselves.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:49 AM

magLipVE
i purchased a few sets myself from tirerack. a very respectable company! i've notice many local tire shops now have to match tireracks price or go out of business. a win win for consumers
Old 02-10-2006, 09:03 PM

2005 CLK55
good job tire rack. any company that has "rack" in the title gotta be good any ways :-D
Old 02-11-2006, 05:08 PM

Update:

Found the tires on line for about $150 cheaper. They did not hassle me.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinMiami

Actually I am a business owner.

I submitted all accurate information. Address, phone number CVV code all were correct. Shipping and billing address were the same. They wanted a listed phone number in addition to everything else and I dont have one. That is way beyond being careful.

I have literally bought thousands of items online including items over $10,000 and this is the FIRST time I have ever had this kind of hassle. I am not being petty; but I am being pissed for this type of inconvenience.

Last edited by prsmith777; 02-11-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:19 AM

AMG
its for their safety and the safety of others... this world isn't safe...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Furthermore, most all shipping companys require a valid phone number before they will ship to anyone. They often need to call when there is a delivery issue or question: Like "Where the hell were you when we attempted to deliver your parcels? When will someone be there? Etc.???