Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

do i need all-season tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 550
do i need all-season tires?

I live just outside of NYC...do I need to go with all-season tires? As you all know, it snows here from time to time, but never anything too major.

So am I OK with using max or ultra-high performance tires, or do I need to use the ultra-high performance all-season tires?

The selection of ultra-high performance all season tires is limited for 225/40/18 (f) and 255/35/18 (r), so I only want to buy those if it is a neccesity.

Let me know....thanks!!
Old 02-07-2003, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What car do you drive?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:09 PM

CLK 550
Driving an Integra right now, but my CLK (W209) will be here in 2 weeks. Already picked out my rims, but need to figure out what kind of tires I need.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, may I know what wheels are you getting?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:19 PM

CLK 550
I've got my eyes on the Carlsson 2/5. I really wanted the 1/16, but I can't seem to find those anywhere.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ummm....

I wouldnt suggest you to get 2/5 because of several reasons:

1) The 2/5 Brilliant Edition has been discontinued already. Carlsson will soon come out with a newer version of 2/5s.
2) The 18" 2/5 will look pretty small on a W209. It looked small on a C32. This is due to the fact that the lip is quite "thick". The center piece looks like its a 16" wheel.
3) You will lose A LOT when selling them in the future.

The 1/16 looks MUCH nicer on a W209 (check on Carlsson's website). I have been looking for them for quite a while. I know where to get them. Through me!

I dont think you should put A/S tires on those wheels. They are meant to give you better performance. I think you should keep your stock wheels and put on a set of snow tires for the winter and buy a set of ultra high performance tires for the summer. Tires... I strongly suggest Toyo T1-S, I am a loyal fan of T1-S. Durable, very good value. S-03 is supposed to be bery good also, but I heard they wear out pretty fast. I have never tried them.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:05 PM

CLK 550
Harris...

you've got mail!
Old 02-10-2003, 01:33 PM

2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Originally posted by Harris

I dont think you should put A/S tires on those wheels. They are meant to give you better performance. I think you should keep your stock wheels and put on a set of snow tires for the winter and buy a set of ultra high performance tires for the summer.
I'll second this suggestion...but if it comes to only having one set of tires/rims, then get a/s tires. My mom's E430 has the OEM F1 GS-D2's on 'em, and we find ourselves taking my AWD VW Passat all over this time of year because we can't get anywhere in her car.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:32 PM

asdf
Ummm....

I wouldnt suggest you to get 2/5 because of several reasons:

1) The 2/5 Brilliant Edition has been discontinued already. Carlsson will soon come out with a newer version of 2/5s.
2) The 18" 2/5 will look pretty small on a W209. It looked small on a C32. This is due to the fact that the lip is quite "thick". The center piece looks like its a 16" wheel.
3) You will lose A LOT when selling them in the future.

#1 isn't quite true. They HAVE been discontinued but not because Carlsson is coming out with new 2/5, it's just that Tirerack isn't the main distributor in the US anymore. They're still available in Germany.
#2 yes, 18"s will lok small on a w209 but not everyone wants big bling bling rims.
#3. I'm not sure if this is quite true because ever since tirerack stopped selling them, I've noticed that the overall demand is quite a bit higher.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by henry47
#1 isn't quite true. They HAVE been discontinued but not because Carlsson is coming out with new 2/5, it's just that Tirerack isn't the main distributor in the US anymore. They're still available in Germany.
#2 yes, 18"s will lok small on a w209 but not everyone wants big bling bling rims.
#3. I'm not sure if this is quite true because ever since tirerack stopped selling them, I've noticed that the overall demand is quite a bit higher.
Carlsson IS coming out with a slightly different design of 2/5s, so as 1/5, 1/6 and 2/6. This info is from the new distributor and I AM ONE OF THE DEALERS, do you think you will know better than me? To say Tirerack isnt the "main distributor" anymore is incorrect, they are simply NOT a distributor anymore. Of course the wheels are still available in Germany, because the new versions havent been out yet. But how can the new distributor import the old 2/5s and compete with Tirerack knowing the newer design will be out very soon?

Maybe I should say 18" 2/5s look small, period. No matter which car you out them on. I have put them on my car and I dumped them after 2 months. And I believed you have a misunderstanding of what Bling Bling means. Are you saying 19" are all Bling bling rims? IMO, a set of Carlsson 2/5s can never be considered as Bling Bling rims. They are so classy.

The overall demand is always there for Carlsson wheels. It is only because Carlsson have done a very poor marketing job in NA, plus Tirerack is selling the 19" 2/5s for $1600 a set now. I am sure the newer versions of 2/5s will be in the $3000+/set range, so if you try to sell your current 2/5s a year or two from now, how much are you going to get? $800? $1000?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:43 PM

asdf
Carlsson IS coming out with a slightly different design of 2/5s, so as 1/5, 1/6 and 2/6. This info is from the new distributor and I AM ONE OF THE DEALERS, do you think you will know better than me? To say Tirerack isnt the "main distributor" anymore is incorrect, they are simply NOT a distributor anymore. Of course the wheels are still available in Germany, because the new versions havent been out yet. But how can the new distributor import the old 2/5s and compete with Tirerack knowing the newer design will be out very soon?
damn calm down, this isn't a pissing contest. No need to get all mad. I trust my information from where I get it from but hey if you SAY you're one of the dealers, good job for you. I am just repeating what I hear.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by henry47
damn calm down, this isn't a pissing contest. No need to get all mad. I trust my information from where I get it from but hey if you SAY you're one of the dealers, good job for you. I am just repeating what I hear.
Oh, I am very calm. I am not mad at all, I am only stating the FACTS.

Its just I think we have to be VERY careful of what we said on a public forum. For those who dont know, they can be easily misled by your remarks. I think creditbility is very important for any of us.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:19 AM

asdf
Well just because YOU say it, it doesn't mean it's a fact. You will believe what you say is a fact, and I will believe what I believe. I heard this from a very reliable source, and I do know them better than I know you so I will continue to what I believe.

p.s. hundreds of years ago people thought the world being flat was a fact also.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, there is a very simple way to solve this: TIME WILL TELL!!

In a few months we shall see if Carlsson will continue to make its current 2/5s. Then we can see whose source is more reliable.

And with regards to your e-mail asking me if I am interested to buy any 19" 2/5s from you....no thank you. I think my cost is even cheaper than you. Next time when you send soliciting e-mails, make sure you know who you are sending to.

Good luck with your selling.

One more piece of info for you (please read ALL the replies made by Mach430): https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...s&pagenumber=1

Last edited by Harris; 02-12-2003 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:19 AM

asdf
Hey if you can get them for cheaper, then GOOD for you. Have a cookie on me. And hey, I don't care who's right or wrong, if you think you're right, have another cookie. I was only offering you the 2/5 because I thought you'd might be interested but hey, if you can get them cheaper, by all means go for it. There's no need to drop our trousers to compare.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First, you instigated the whole thing by challenging my comments. I've given you proof by telling you I am a Carlsson dealer indicating that your challenge might not be correct. Then you said you've a very reliable source telling you this and telling you that. I still dont know how do you expect people to believe in you when all you hear were just "gossips". If you "think" you know more than me, so be it! As you've said: Good for you.

If you have any proof to support your saying, SHOW IT! Dont just keep BS in here pretending that you know a lot of things!

I do not "think" I am right. I am being very careful & fully aware of what I am saying. I will NEVER make any comments on the board which I am unsure of. Can you find me a single thread on the board where I said I want to buy some 19" 2/5s? I've absolutely NO intention to "drop my trousers to compare". I dont need to.

This will be my last post for this topic. File closed.:o

Last edited by Harris; 02-12-2003 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:39 PM

asdf
You know, just because what I believe may not be true to you does not mean that I'm "pretending to know a lot of things". I've said what I've said and you're the one who keeps on defending yourself when I've made no accusations. I was just saying what I've been hearing and I told you that I will choose my sources over yours. Personally I don't care who you are. You keep on bringing up the fact that you're a dealer, but that's no proof for me. Show me that you're a dealer and I'll give you more credibility than I've been showing. You say that I'm "instigating the whole thing by challenging your comments" but what I'm simply doing is posting what I've been lead to believe. You could've ended this a long time ago by saying "You know, Henry47, I believe your sources may not be correct for this and that reason." but no, your attitude and sarcasm escalated the entire situation. To tell you the truth, I don't appreciate how you've been acting towards me. If hartonmotorwerks.com is your business, DO NOT expect ANY business from me or from anyone I know.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Actually, I would have to agree with Henry... although Harris' posts have some facts listed, most of what he presented was opinion (or speculation)... one can't say that wheel appearance or future resale values are facts.

The 2/5 in 18" doesn't look all that small to me.

If you prefer the current look to the new look, then that's all that matters. For instance, I don't like the way the new Carlssons look, so I would rush to get the current set if at all possible. Even better that they are so cheap right now. I think after the Tirerack supply dries up (mostly already), you'll see the market price increase. So I don't think anyone will "LOSE A LOT" by buying a heavily discounted Carlsson rim right now.

Also, save the 1/16, I can't see how putting a super-heavy wheel on your car is going to improve performance all that much... so it comes down to styling.

And that, again, is PERSONAL OPINION, not fact. I think it's not fair to state one's personal opinion as being a fact.

-s-
Old 02-12-2003, 07:52 PM

I have 18" Carlsson 2/5s on my W203 and I agree with Harris... the design of the wheel is such that the lip is very "thick" and the center section looks small because of that... I guess it's fairly subjective tho, since in reality an 18" wheel is an 18" wheel, so just depends on they look you prefer.

Last edited by potatobbq; 02-12-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by scorchie
Also, save the 1/16, I can't see how putting a super-heavy wheel on your car is going to improve performance all that much... so it comes down to styling.
Are the 1/16 much heavier than the Carlsson wheels? I know Carlsson wheels are heavy in general... I compared my 18x8 2/5 with an 18x8 Volk wheel from my RX-7 and I swear it weighed at least 1.5x - 2x as much. I didn't initially like the design of the 1/16 wheel, but I've sort of been taking a liking to it recently.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:53 AM

CLK430
will 18" Carlsson 2/5 look good on a clk430 w/o lowering it ??
Old 02-17-2003, 01:32 PM

CLK 550
=============================================
will 18" Carlsson 2/5 look good on a clk430 w/o lowering it ??
=============================================

you be the judge...
Old 02-17-2003, 01:32 PM

CLK 550
vs. this...