Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Opinions wanted on this combination.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 S430
Question Opinions wanted on this combination.....

I'm a newbie on the site. I tried posting in 'General Discussion' thinking I'd get more replies but I didn't get any.

I'm wondering how gray/gunmetal/hyper-black/pewter (whatever you want to call the colors) colored wheels would look on a Tectite colored S-class? I haven't had much luck finding any pics. I'm not saying they're not out there but I haven't found them yet. I sure would like some opinions and/or pics so I'd know if it looks ok together or completely hideous.

I know a couple of sites like TireRack have the deal where you can see what the wheels look like on the car. But none of the sites have a color close to Tectite for the car color so that really doesn't help.

I can't be the only one who ever thought about this combination so any help would be appreciated. I'm aware that Tectite hasn't been in production in quite a few years so perhaps that explains why I haven't had much luck. Or perhaps the combination looks terrible together and no one ever had this combo on their car. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C320 Sedan, '04 SAAB 9-3 Cabrio
So, what color is tectite? Gray? Wheel color to match body is nice. Black wheels I myself would never consider though.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 S430
Yep, Tectite is a dark gray color that was available for 2000 - 2004 models (though don't quote me about the dates since I'm new to MB).

I definitely wouldn't consider black wheels. Black wheels only look good on certain cars that are certain colors. Same with chrome.

True I could get some wheels painted to match the car. My main concern was if I bought some off the shelf wheels that were gunmetal, gray or a similar color & if they would look terrible with Tectite. Wheels in these colors usually look pretty good on silver cars but I'm not sure how they would look on a dark gray car (i.e. Tectite). They definitely wouldn't match the paint. It just seems like everyone & their brother has silver wheels on their cars so I'd like to have something a bit different that you don't see on every street corner.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM

I hear what you are saying, but... just to be different is not enough of a reason. As I said before, YOU have to like it. With dark gray I would think something light and shiny would stand out nicely. JMHO.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 S430
Thanks for the 1 reply. The question about colored wheels isn't an issue anymore. I've opted to go with wheels with a standard silver finish.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM

That should look good!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM

That should look good!
Show us some pics when you get them.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 S430
I'll post a pic or two once I get receive them & get them on the car. See my thread 'W221 AMG wheel' for the details of what I bought.