Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Monoblocks 19's are they 12mm or 14mm bolts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 03:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
Monoblocks 19's are they 12mm or 14mm bolts?

would they fit C43? with spacers
ty
Old 03-02-2003, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
AMG Monoblocks in 19" size are for the S-Class and CL with 14mm lugbolts. Besides the spacers you would need to modify the brake rotor holes.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
ty Kev
Old 03-03-2003, 01:06 AM

Does this hold true for the AMG 19 inch CL rim AMG?

14 mm bolts?

TIA

Btw, im runnin 19 by 9 all around on a c230 coupe with NO rub.

35 mm offset all around and 10 mm spacers on front i think
Old 03-03-2003, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by E55 KEV
AMG Monoblocks in 19" size are for the S-Class and CL with 14mm lugbolts. Besides the spacers you would need to modify the brake rotor holes.
I believe the brake rotor holes actually have enough clearance. On the other hand, the hub holes must be redrilled and threaded for M14. If the rotors don't have enouch clearance, then that part is a 5 minute job per corner.

-s-
Old 03-03-2003, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by scorchie
I believe the brake rotor holes actually have enough clearance. On the other hand, the hub holes must be redrilled and threaded for M14. If the rotors don't have enouch clearance, then that part is a 5 minute job per corner.

-s-
Yes you would need to redrill the rotor holes. Otherwise you can not screw a 14mm bolt into a 12mm hole.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes you would need to redrill the rotor holes. Otherwise you can not screw a 14mm bolt into a 12mm hole.
This is where your misconception lies. The bolts do not SCREW into the rotor. They only PASS THROUGH the rotor and screw into the hub. The hubs must be redrilled, then tapped for M14. The rotors have large holes in them already, and I believe the holes are large (in some cases) enough to accept an M14 passing through. Wheels that accept M12 bolts generally have large enough holes (called "clearance") for M14 bolts, it's just that the seat is the wrong type.

Some rotors will have enough clearance; others will not. It depends on your car and what rotors are installed! I just measured a C280 and its clearance was 13mm. Expanding this hole to 14mm would take about... 30 seconds... for all five.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 03-03-2003 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Man, I think the number one question on the Tire & Wheel section is guys trying to mount wheels that do not have the correct fitment. Over and over we answer the same thing. If my answer is not sufficient read the reply from Luke@Tirerack:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=31299

Last edited by E55 KEV; 03-03-2003 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is where your misconception lies. The bolts do not SCREW into the rotor. They only PASS THROUGH the rotor and screw into the hub. The hubs must be redrilled, then tapped for M14. The rotors have large holes in them already, and I believe the holes are large (in some cases) enough to accept an M14 passing through. Wheels that accept M12 bolts generally have large enough holes (called "clearance") for M14 bolts, it's just that the seat is the wrong type.

Some rotors will have enough clearance; others will not. It depends on your car and what rotors are installed! I just measured a C280 and its clearance was 13mm. Expanding this hole to 14mm would take about... 30 seconds... for all five.

-s-
regardless of SEMANTICS! It requires some 'modification' to bolt 14mm wheels on 12mm rotors, hubs whatever. The question is usually can I do this and the answer is and always was 'No' unless you:

1. use spacers
2. modify the rotors/hubs

To most people the hub is the center piece and the center of the alloy wheel only. For Mercedes the hub size 66.56mm.

Saying 'Rotor' is correct because to the non-mechanic it is where the 5 lugbolts screw into. The hub is just that center piece that goes into the center of the Alloy Wheel. The average owner is not going to re-drill his 'holes' and then have problems latter on and then trying to mount the spare won't work, etc.:

Old 03-03-2003, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

regardless of SEMANTICS! It requires some 'modification' to bolt 14mm wheels on 12mm rotors, hubs whatever. The question is usually can I do this and the answer is and always was 'No' unless you:

1. use spacers
2. modify the rotors/hubs

To most people the hub is the center piece and the center of the alloy wheel only. For Mercedes the hub size 66.56mm.

Saying 'Rotor' is correct because to the non-mechanic it is where the 5 lugbolts screw into. The hub is just that center piece that goes into the center of the Alloy Wheel. The average owner is not going to re-drill his 'holes' and then have problems latter on and then trying to mount the spare won't work, etc.:
I'm sorry you think semantics don't matter... when you speak about technical things and tell them what to do, you would do well to tell them the truth and not something incorrect.

I am sorry you don't have enough mechanical background to realize that the HUB is the piece which is attached to the wheel bearings. This piece has a protrusion that a "hubcentric" wheel uses. The hole in the alloy wheel is not a HUB, it is the CENTER BORE (size 66.6mm to fit over the 66.56mm HUB).

Even from your poor quality photograph one can see that the rotor sits on top of another piece of metal that actually has the threads.

Usually the rotor is where the wheel studs are pressed, because it has an integral hub that holds the races for the bearings. But that's not a Mercedes. A Mercedes has a separate rotor and hub.

I presume that since you are answerings people's questions, you are somewhat interested in helping to disseminate information and knowledge amongst the forum members. If you do have that desire, I believe that the desire should encompass the desire to spread TRUE information. In that regard, you may wish to use the correct terms in your answers. It would probably eliminate a lot of problems with people who don't know, and these long interactions with people who do.

-s-
Old 03-04-2003, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Even from your poor quality photograph one can see that the rotor sits on top of another piece of metal that actually has the threads.

Usually the rotor is where the wheel studs are pressed, because it has an integral hub that holds the races for the bearings. But that's not a Mercedes. A Mercedes has a separate rotor and hub.

-s-
Scorchie, thanks for the more technical clarification. But regardless of what semantics or words I used you must agree that some sort of modification is required.

The main point is that the wheels from a S-Class do not simply bolt-on to a C-Class and that some modifications are required to increase the 12mm lugbolt 'holes' to utilize a 14mm lugbolt.

If you use the 12mm bolts on the wheels with 14mm seats there still may be a problems of bolt lossening.

How people use semantic and discriptions are different - I am trying to decribe the part of the cars running gear that needs to be modified and yes I said Brake Rotor because the wheel is bolted directly to the brake rotor, however, you should not state a car is not a Mercedes when you don't know what you are talking about.

No Semantics involved here, you are simply wrong. Thanks for stating that my "poor quality photograph" of the wheel well from my 2002 E55 AMG is not a Mercedes?

Last edited by E55 KEV; 03-04-2003 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie, thanks for the more technical clarification. But regardless of what semantics or words I used you must agree that some sort of modification is required.

The main point is that the wheels from a S-Class do not simply bolt-on to a C-Class and that some modifications are required to increase the 12mm lugbolt 'holes' to utilize a 14mm lugbolt.

If you use the 12mm bolts on the wheels with 14mm seats there still may be a problems of bolt lossening.

How people use semantic and discriptions are different - I am trying to decribe the part of the cars running gear that needs to be modified and yes I said Brake Rotor because the wheel is bolted directly to the brake rotor, however, you should not state a car is not a Mercedes when you don't know what you are talking about.

No Semantics involved here, you are simply wrong. Thanks for stating that my "poor quality photograph" of the wheel well from my 2002 E55 AMG is not a Mercedes?
Hi KEV, I completely agree with you that the wheels do not fith (although they do not bolt to the rotor at all... if you remove the rotor from the car, the wheel will still bolt on!).

However, please reread my post... I said that it in your photograph, it is clear that the rotor is not where the bolt attaches.

In the NEXT paragraph, I stated that it is not a Mercedes where the wheel stud attaches to the rotor... no reference to the photograph. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough for you!

It's clear from your photograph that you have those massive (and heavy) AMG brakes on the E55, and I don't think anyone would try to fit those to another brand of vehicle. I like the color you've painted them though! tP has the same color on his E55 brakes mounted to his C280, except he painted the AMG logo white.

OK, you win, you've made it clear that semantics and reading aren't that important to you. It's too bad we won't be able to share information, because I thought you might have had some useful experiences.

-s-

P.S.: It will all be moot when the 12mm lugs with 14mm ball seats become available... soon.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

P.S.: It will all be moot when the 12mm lugs with 14mm ball seats become available... soon.
scorchie, I am just doing my best to help or rely information. I still appreciate your posts because many of us are not mechanics are learning and just want to understand. Everything is cool.

Hey, that is interesting - 12mm bolts with 14mm heads. Any idea when those will be availalble? Is this item coming from Mercedes? That sounds like a great idea - wonder why no one thought of that before! Maybe a machine shop could make some custom ones. I guess anything is possible. Thanks for the update.