Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Hubcentric Rings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500
Hubcentric Rings?

I just got Carlsson wheels put on my 02 s500 and was told by the tire shop that the rear wheels were not hubcentric, what does this mean and where can I buy the hubcentric rings? The wheels are 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear.

Thanks, Beau
Old 04-22-2003, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most American cars are lugcentric, which means the lug bolts or studs hold the weight of the car. Our cars and many other European cars are hubcentric meaning the hub holds up the weight of the car. Different brands use different sizes of hubs. Since it would be very expensive to make wheels for these various sizes of hubs, the manufacturers make one wheel and use hubcentric rings in them to adapt to the differing hubs. The seller of the wheels should have provided these, if you purchased the from a retailer. You should be able to get the rings at most tire and wheel stores. If you can't find them, Tire Rack will have them. I wouldn't drive the car until you get them.

Tire Rack has a good explanation of hubcentric here.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:31 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Just about all cars American or European or Japanese are hub centric form the factories in which that are made ... the reason for this is because lug bolts or studs with nuts do not have the strength to support the weight of the car. The center hub is there for that very reason.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
I thought all Carlsson wheels had MBZ 66.56mm centers and did not require centering rings at all?
Old 06-19-2003, 11:19 AM

C230 Sedan - 6 spd.
Question Conclusion??

I did a couple of searches for Carlsson hubcentric and found this thread. So, are they already hubcentric? I want to buy a set of 1/5 but need to know if i'll need to buy rings separately. Thanks!

Also, where's the least expensive place to get Carlsson 1/5 nowadays?

Thanks guys/gals!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 AM

C230 Sedan - 6 spd.
Question Every class is different??

According to this table link from Carlsson of UK, each Mercedes model seem to require different fittings. Eventhough Carlsson states that the wheels are made exclusively for MB? Does this mean each class has a different size hub?

More specifically, I'm looking at the Carlsson 1/5 for the C-class. The table denotes it as [2] which means that it should be fitted "professionally". Sounds like it would need hubcentric rings for the C-class. What do you think?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2003, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by E55 KEV
I thought all Carlsson wheels had MBZ 66.56mm centers and did not require centering rings at all?
Not all Carlssons have 66.6 mm centers (the hub is 66.56mm... the wheels need to be a little bigger to have clearance).

I think it depends on who the manufacturer of the wheel is. This also seems to affect whether the wheel has ball seat or cone seat lugs... and my experience has been that the wheels with cone seat lugs require additional hubcentric rings. It could also be that wheels with fewer fitments available use a spacer, and the spacer is formed as a hubcentric ring so that it is easy to attach.

My 1/6 Evos use a hubcentric ring/spacer device, and cone seat lugs. My 1/5s are hubcentric out of the box.

-s-
Old 06-19-2003, 02:25 PM

C230 Sedan - 6 spd.
scorchie,

Which car do you have 1/5 on? Or I should say, on which car are the 1/5's hubcentric out of the box?

Thanks for your help.
-Thach