Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tire Upgrade Recommendation Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 Sport
Question Tire Upgrade Recommendation Needed

I want to upgrade my tire sizes to 245/40-18 front and 275/35-18 rear. I will purcahse the new E55 AMG wheel style IV. Yes I want performance, BUT...I want the best ride and lowest noise I can get (This is most important to me). So far, I've been recommended, Dunlop SP9000, Pirelli PZero Rosso and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the lowest noise and best ride. I owned the Piolt Sports (not A/S) on my BMW and felt they were too load and road/ride rough.

Any thoughts and input would really be appreciated... Mark
Old 05-15-2003, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy who recommended you those three tires must have lots of Michelins and Pirellis in stock, probably he wants to get rid of some.

SP9000s are Dunlop's top of the line tire, a few of my friends have them and they are happy with it. But it is not THE best performance tire out there. They are great, not superb. Pretty comfortable ride and pretty quiet.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are all-season tires. I dont think all-season tires are quieter than summer tires. They should have more aggressive treads, stick to the road more and therefore, noisier. I dont agree this has lowest noise.

Pirellis are KNOWN for its hard compound. Their ride can never be considered as comfortable. And I dont think they are quiet either.

Yokohama AVS dB should be the quietest tire out there, but I dont think they make your sizes.

Personally, I like Toyo T1-S very very much. They are quiet, excellent performance on wet and dry, very durable, good value. Michelin Pilot Sport are very good too, from my experience, it is pretty smooth, wait 'till you sit on Pirellis, then you'll understand what is rough!! Its just I think Michelins are a bit overpriced.

I think Toyo T1-S, Michelin Pilot Sport and SP9000 are the three that you should seriously consider instead.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Am i the only one that likes Yokohama AVS sport over SP9000s?
Old 05-16-2003, 09:42 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
For ride quality I would suggest the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso ... for performance I would suggest the Pilot Sport or S-03 Pole position
MBWorld tire search
Old 05-16-2003, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Luke@tirerack
For ride quality I would suggest the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso ... for performance I would suggest the Pilot Sport or S-03 Pole position
MBWorld tire search
Luke, are you sure about PZero Rosso? I've used up two sets and I really think they're noisy and rough! I like the original PZero Directionale and Assimetrical better, but they wear out very fast though...

Last edited by Harris; 05-16-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:45 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Harris,

I have not heard that said before .... and I have personally driven the Rosso's for a good many miles and also the non-rosso model which is extremely noisy that's why they were re-designed
Old 05-19-2003, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
since an all-season tire was mentioned maybe the Yokohama AVS dB S2 is the ticket for noise and comfort.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
I have first hand experience of both Pirelli's on E55's. The original Rosso's are stickier in the dry and also noticebly noisier and harsher. The Rosso's are even quieter and better riding than the OEM Sport Contact 2's on my new E55 and have a bit better feel in the wet than the Pilot Sports. (Our SLK runs the Pilot Sports)