Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas

How can you tell the difference between an Authentic Lorinser LM5 wheel and a LM5 Style (replica) wheel? Are there any markings on front or backside of wheel that would enable one to identify one from the other??
Old 07-17-2003, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas

Originally posted by Benzoxtc
How can you tell the difference between an Authentic Lorinser LM5 wheel and a LM5 Style (replica) wheel? Are there any markings on front or backside of wheel that would enable one to identify one from the other??
Few things to look for... Check the centercaps... Replica's rarely have the original Loriner caps...

from the front, its pretty obvious just by looking at the lip area. REAL LM-5s are multi piece (this can be observed from the rear also). Replica are 1-piece, with face screws on the outside.

If it is a real LM-5, then there will be a slight gap at the lip.

Observe:
REAL LM-5

REPLICA LM-5

Can you see the difference in the two? outside of one being chrome...
Old 07-17-2003, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here is a side by side comparison:

hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas-lm5-comparison.jpg  
Old 07-17-2003, 08:08 PM

2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
Difference between Authentic and Replica LM5

Thanks mmgrad,

I see the difference.

The reason I asked was because I just recently bent my front rim and I am planning to have it repaired at Tru-Wheel (N. Hollywood). But I heard of a scenario where a repair shop attempted to return a replica instead of the authentic LM5 wheel. Just wanted to know how I could differentiate the two wheels.

Thanks again,

Benzoxtc
Old 07-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 E430, 1993 LS400
I'll say these look much better than the LM5, with bigger lip and better finish. Of course, wayyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than the LM5.
These are call Zauber Gettin. Made In Japan, 3 pcs. come in 20s'
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas-zauber01.jpg  
Old 07-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 E430, 1993 LS400
One more....
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas-gettin01.jpg  
Old 07-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 E430, 1993 LS400
Another.....
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas-gettin03.jpg  

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 E430, 1993 LS400
Last one......
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas-gettin04.jpg  
Old 07-18-2003, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by KenjiTsou
I'll say these look much better than the LM5, with bigger lip and better finish. Of course, wayyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than the LM5.
Yeah, I've seen those around... they are quite nice, and they are true Multi-piece too...

Although, I must say, German engineering is still 1 step ahead of the game over Japan. Thats the only reason they can command a higher price... Although, I don't think most people can tell the difference in worksmanship & quality
Old 07-18-2003, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Difference between Authentic and Replica LM5

Thanks mmgrad,

I see the difference.

The reason I asked was because I just recently bent my front rim and I am planning to have it repaired at Tru-Wheel (N. Hollywood). But I heard of a scenario where a repair shop attempted to return a replica instead of the authentic LM5 wheel. Just wanted to know how I could differentiate the two wheels.

Thanks again,

Benzoxtc
I've heard similar stories about tire shops doing that when they replace a client's rim they scratched...

Best thing to do, pay attention to the multi-piece design, check for any markings in the rear indicating LORINSER in the back, check for stamps that say MADE IN GERMANY, etc...

Or, the easiest alternative, find a place that has been around a long time and have good reputation... ask around, check with your friends... see if they can recommend a place. even the dealership can help you out with this one
Old 07-18-2003, 12:29 PM

2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
markings on backside of wheel

What was most peculiar was the fact that no where on the wheel did it say Lorinser, but "Rondell","Made in Germany", and the wheel size and offset! It also had a number, I believe it was #80, but can't be certain. I will have to verify the actual number tonight.

Can anyone else that has Authentic LM5's comment on this fact? I guess I expected to see the "Lorinser" marking on the wheel.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: markings on backside of wheel

What was most peculiar was the fact that no where on the wheel did it say Lorinser, but "Rondell","Made in Germany", and the wheel size and offset! It also had a number, I believe it was #80, but can't be certain. I will have to verify the actual number tonight.

Can anyone else that has Authentic LM5's comment on this fact? I guess I expected to see the "Lorinser" marking on the wheel.
Oooh... thats a tough one... Rondell is a wheel manufacturer, but I'm not sure if they manufacture wheels for Lorinser or not.

I believe Ronal makes wheels for Benz/AMG, not sure about Rondell though.

Although, Rondell wheels in the LM-5 style is a TRUE MULTIPIECE also...

so... are you POSITIVE that you bought REAL LORINSER wheels? or did someone just get you Rondell wheels and put Lorinser caps on?
Old 07-18-2003, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this here is a picture of a multipiece Rondell wheels in the LM-5 style... notice the real multi-piece design:

Old 07-18-2003, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.............I have experience with this as I have one replica LM-5 and 3 authentic ones. I can tell you, no one can tell the difference. It is true that authentic LM-5's are multipiece but they are so well put together that you don't really notice the gap. Also Lorinser center caps are interchangeable between the replica and the authentic wheels and there is no lorinser marking anywhere on the wheel except on the centercap. This leaves the only visible difference to be the barely noticeable multipiece design of the authentic wheels. Since the replica sells for under $1K for four wheels and the authrentics sell for over $5K, whether this barely noticeable difference is enough to justify the difference in cost is a personal decision. Knowing what I know, if I were you I will definitely buy the replicas over the autrhentic ones and save the extra $4K and create a Kleeman superchareger fund.

Ted
Old 07-18-2003, 05:49 PM

2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
I purchased my set of wheels from America's Tire Co. a while ago and at the time I did not really question the authenticity of the wheel since I was purchasing from a reputable chain of stores. In addition am certain that I have an authentic wheel set since I was present when the wheels were taken out of the boxes that had been shipped from CEC wheels.

As Ted pointed out, I had heard that center caps were interchangeable between authentic and replicas, but was not certain if there were any markings that would help differentiate one from the other. I would like to be able to identify the difference in wheels in the event the place I choose to repair my wheel should for any reason not return my authentic wheel. I would imagine that you should be able to see a difference in quality of the wheel(i.e. chrome finish, machining of wheel (sharp or rounded edges))?? I have not looked at an authentic and replica wheel side by side, but by the two previous photos, it appears that the quality of the second wheel is different. (But then again it could be the resolution of the picture) The edges on the spokes appear to be more rounded as opposed to a sharp crisp edge on the authentic wheel.

Why did you choose to go with 3 authentic and one replica? Was it due to one of your wheels being damaged and repairs would be more costly than just purchasing a replica wheel? The reason that I ask is that I just recently damaged my front wheel by a pot hole and now I am looking at $250 to repair my wheel. You mentioned that there is no visible difference from the front, but is there a difference in markings from the backside. All my wheels have the same markings, except for the size and offset markings. I would like to know, if anyone knows, why there is a "Rondell" marking??? Where can you find a Rondell LM5 replica?

Thanks in advance for all these questions....
Old 07-19-2003, 12:47 AM
Almost a Member!

1998 E430, 1993 LS400
Originally posted by mmgrad
Yeah, I've seen those around... they are quite nice, and they are true Multi-piece too...

Although, I must say, German engineering is still 1 step ahead of the game over Japan. Thats the only reason they can command a higher price... Although, I don't think most people can tell the difference in worksmanship & quality
I wouldn't say German makes better wheel than Japanese. Japanese wheels have great building qualities and finishes. Brabus, Lorinser, Hamann. Hartge, AMG, Carlsson.....etc They are all nice wheels.......But you are just paying for the German or European brand. For example, Brabus Monoblock V in chrome is list at $1750,and I don't think Brabus really worth that much. With that price tag, I would go out there and get myself a set of forged Fabulous Profound.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Why did you choose to go with 3 authentic and one replica? Was it due to one of your wheels being damaged and repairs would be more costly than just purchasing a replica wheel? The reason that I ask is that I just recently damaged my front wheel by a pot hole and now I am looking at $250 to repair my wheel. You mentioned that there is no visible difference from the front, but is there a difference in markings from the backside. All my wheels have the same markings, except for the size and offset markings. I would like to know, if anyone knows, why there is a "Rondell" marking??? Where can you find a Rondell LM5 replica?

.........Its a long story, basically I bought the replica wheel to use as a spare. My original wheel got damaged and I was forced to use the replica as a main wheel. I did not notice any difference, so I kept it. My car is the shop so I cannot post a pic. But if you want to see a picture of replica LM5's and see how authentic they look, the look at Timster's car which is on ebay. I'm not sure why he is selling it, but you can see the wheel. He does not have Lorinser center caps, but imagine replacing his center caps with Lorinser center caps.

TIMSTER'S CAR

Ted
Old 07-25-2003, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
I wouldn't say German makes better wheel than Japanese. Japanese wheels have great building qualities and finishes. Brabus, Lorinser, Hamann. Hartge, AMG, Carlsson.....etc They are all nice wheels.......But you are just paying for the German or European brand. For example, Brabus Monoblock V in chrome is list at $1750,and I don't think Brabus really worth that much. With that price tag, I would go out there and get myself a set of forged Fabulous Profound.

I'd have to agree... if anything I think japanese wheels are step ahead... they have perfected forged technology and produce the lightest wheels available yet are very strong...
Old 07-25-2003, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 E430, 1993 LS400
Originally posted by jo17jC230
I'd have to agree... if anything I think japanese wheels are step ahead... they have perfected forged technology and produce the lightest wheels available yet are very strong...
A lot of German or European wheel owners are really paying too much for just the NAME instead of the quality. But I guess that gives them the GERMAN PRIDE......Everything GERMAN is the best.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes, Rondell makes the LM5 multi-piece replica, the #80. It goes for about $1000-$1100 for a set of four 18". You can get it at www.wheelexchange.com or www.aaarims.com. I wanted to buy the Carlssson 1/5s, and I discovered they were no longer available. I was about to buy Lorinsers or the AMG wheels when I found the Rondell #73 which is virtual clone except for the Rondell lettering on the wheel. They look the same, have the same offset, are made in Germany by Rondell, satisfy European TUV standards, and are lighter than the AMG wheels to boot. I bought a set with Dunlop Sport 9000s and put them on the car a couple of days ago. Got the whole thing for about $2K delivered. Time will tell if it was a good decision, but the people I have talked to indicate Rondell makes a good wheel.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:46 PM

2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
What other companies make LM5 replicas

I would like to know where I can find a 19x8.5 LM5 in chrome with an offset of 38? I have searched the internet but have not been successful locating a replica. I either find a place that sells only the polished with correct offset or only sells as a set. What other companies manufacture the LM5 replica?

Ted,

Where did you get your replacement wheel?

Thanks,
Benzoxtc
Old 07-31-2003, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I am considering upgrading the wheels on my S500 coupe when the current tires on factory 16" chrome wear out. 19 and 20 seem a bit extreme to me. I am thinking about either 17 or 18. What do you guy think?
Old 08-01-2003, 01:01 AM

S430
Also, for an S-class, will we need to lower the car if we switch from the stock 16" rims to 18", 19" or 20" rims?

If we have to to make it look right, what will that adversely affect? Thanks.

Mike
Old 08-01-2003, 03:06 AM

02 clk320
Kenjitsou

How much are these rim cost for a 19' and will it fit clk.....thanks
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas-zauber01.jpg  
Old 08-01-2003, 03:27 AM
Almost a Member!

1998 E430, 1993 LS400
Re: Kenjitsou

Originally posted by clk_klass
How much are these rim cost for a 19' and will it fit clk.....thanks
Below $3000 polished, no tires.
Of course these fit CLK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difference between Authentic LM5 & LM5 Replicas