Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

grinding..replica wheels to blame?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Porsche Boxster 987
grinding..replica wheels to blame?

hi i have been having this problem ever since i put on replica wheels not sure what the noise is but is seems to make a sound like a minor grind whenever i apply the brake. Its seems like its makes this sound at the end of the stop i can apply the brake then at the final ending process of applying the brake right befroe it stops it makes this sound...anyone know what it is?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
possibly the ball joints.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:01 AM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
whats that? is it part of the car or wheel?
Old 08-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Location: From Oxnard; living in Ocean View Hills, San Diego, CA
'01 C320 SS
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kimchiFLAVA
hi i have been having this problem ever since i put on replica wheels not sure what the noise is but is seems to make a sound like a minor grind whenever i apply the brake. Its seems like its makes this sound at the end of the stop i can apply the brake then at the final ending process of applying the brake right befroe it stops it makes this sound...anyone know what it is?
Give us more info, and cross post to the W203 forum...more answers will follow I'm sure.

Where is the noise?
If it's up front, 1st check the tires...are they wearing properly? If not then depending on the tire model, it could just be a sign that you need an alignment...unless of course you have "slammed" your car, then yes, it just may be ball joints. Take it to the workshop, if you still have a warranty and the car is not lowered. Otherwise, get it checked out at an independent repair shop. If it is b.j's, then put your stock susp. back on, and take it to the dealer.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
I slam my car but doesn't have that kind of noise, could be the bolt is too long. wAt's the offset of the wheels?? With your car jack up, try to rotate all wheels and see which one make that noise. If it doesn't make noise then it's sth else.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:46 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
Thanks everyone it seems as though when i put the car into drive it will make a quick squeeking/grinding noise kinda like it is hesitant to turn the wheel
then when I am driving it seems fine until i press the brake, at the end of the brake sequence it makes a final squeeking/grinding noise only more grinding then squeeking then when i put into drive.

this noise occurs when i put it at a dead stop i think the noise is either both fronts or the drivers side front.

I got a warranty still but im nervous the replica wheels did a lil damage
to the car cuz of the grinding and i dont wanna return it before i know what it is or else i might get charged by my dealer and i have no word.
plus they are replica so they might use that as a way of me paying for any damages...but still i dont think the car is damaged but still it ease my mind a whole lot to know what it s.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by kimchiFLAVA

I got a warranty still but im nervous the replica wheels did a lil damage
to the car cuz of the grinding and i dont wanna return it before i know what it is or else i might get charged by my dealer and i have no word.
plus they are replica so they might use that as a way of me paying for any damages...but still i dont think the car is damaged but still it ease my mind a whole lot to know what it s.
i still say ball joint. replica wheels wouldnt cause that kind of damage unless they are rubbing on the caliper. regardless, if the dealer wants to charge you, they are going to try... thats what my dealer does to me... blame everything on my mods.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:03 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
i guess i wont know until i take it to the shop

thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Did you check....

wheel bolt length? Did you change the length when you changed the wheels?