C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

infamous power steering whining noise problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infamous power steering whining noise problem

2001 W203 C320 with around 60k miles. During the summer, all of a sudden one day, the car started making a whining noise when turning the wheel at low speeds and at standstill.

The problem became worse and worse to the point where there is much greater effort involved in turning the wheel.

How do I temporarily bleed the p/s system of air? I'm hoping this isn't too expensive a problem to fix.

thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by c320-3216
2001 W203 C320 with around 60k miles. During the summer, all of a sudden one day, the car started making a whining noise when turning the wheel at low speeds and at standstill.

The problem became worse and worse to the point where there is much greater effort involved in turning the wheel.

How do I temporarily bleed the p/s system of air? I'm hoping this isn't too expensive a problem to fix.

thanks.
your steering fluid is low... if its even a little bit low this problem happens. you probably just need to top it off. easy fix!

i've had to go to the dealership twice for this exact same problem. and now i just top it off myself.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by midnight kompre
your steering fluid is low... if its even a little bit low this problem happens. you probably just need to top it off. easy fix!

i've had to go to the dealership twice for this exact same problem. and now i just top it off myself.
Agreed.

E
Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks guys,

Purchased MB Power Steering fluid, put in about 1.5 fl. oz. Started, the car, let it warm up for a few minutes, and then started turning the wheel lock to lock.

I noticed some type of oil coating the front of the camshaft head covers and a little residue on the backside of the power steering pump and leakage on some of the hose clamps. I'll take a picture to clear things up.

Anyhow, afterwards, I stopped the engine, looked inside the p/s fluid reservoir and found lots of foaming bubbles. The bubbles along with signs of very minor leakage around the hoses clamps would seem to indicate that air is infiltrating the power steering system, correct?

Anyone want to send me a .pdf of the power steering pump/reservoir installation procedure

Thanks, and you guys are the best!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
yes. it's usually a bad rubber seal that will cause this.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
I had this exact same problem. When I head the noise I checked my power steering fluid, it was bone dry. I topped it off, and the noise stopped.

Then about 2-3 weeks later, the same thing. Again, the fluid is bone dry. The odd part is that there is no fluid leaking from the car while its parked, my parking spot is dry. I take it to the dealer again, and they put it on the jack to check it out. They tell me that the power steering rack needs to be replaced.

They replaced it under warranty but the bill would have been $2800 parts and labour. They also did an alignment.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:14 AM

2001 C320
Without having to go to the dealers, I'd like to check the level. I could do this on other cars but couldn't find it on my 2001 C320 V6 (blush). Anyone willing to direct me the the location, please?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Well, at least $2800 is cheaper than an ex-girlfriend's rack

There's a large leak where the hose connects to the steering rack. I'm praying that the rack does not need replacement. I haven't been able to take off the undertray and look, but it's at a shop right now.

Little Car Garage in Waltham MA is the best shop in the world! I'm hoping that it's just a bunch of seals and not much else.

thanks,
Ben

Originally Posted by nickgailloux
I had this exact same problem. When I head the noise I checked my power steering fluid, it was bone dry. I topped it off, and the noise stopped.

Then about 2-3 weeks later, the same thing. Again, the fluid is bone dry. The odd part is that there is no fluid leaking from the car while its parked, my parking spot is dry. I take it to the dealer again, and they put it on the jack to check it out. They tell me that the power steering rack needs to be replaced.

They replaced it under warranty but the bill would have been $2800 parts and labour. They also did an alignment.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:55 AM

2005 A4 1.8TQ
Let me know how this goes. 2 reasons: 1) My power steering is whining and I don't know how to fill it, but will look it up and and give it a go. 2) I live in MA and if this shop is as good as you say it is, it may be worth the drive for me. Goodluck man.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Talking

Originally Posted by Ets C320
Without having to go to the dealers, I'd like to check the level. I could do this on other cars but couldn't find it on my 2001 C320 V6 (blush). Anyone willing to direct me the the location, please?
The Reservoir location is somewhere in the manual. My car is in the shop otherwise i'd take a pic for you.

It's hidden underneath the drivers side intake hose. Take the nose off, and voila, you'll see a small black reservoir with a black twist off cap (black on mine). Looking directly at the engine with the hood up, it sits on the on the dorsal edge (top), on the bow (closest to you), to the port (side). 'bleh, Basically, from where the intake hose connects to the engine cover, a few inches forward and recessed about 6 inches, you will see a roundish cap.

To the other poster inquiring about the Little Car Garage in Waltham. It is the best. Everyone I have referred to it, has raved it's service. http://www.lfcg.com

They are a bunch of mostly BMW aficionado's and enthusiasts but they specialize in both MB's, BMW's and European cars. I bring my Honda's as well. They also have the correct diagnostic equipment for MB's as well. They are also very quick and extremely thorough. Most importantly, they get it done RIGHT the first time. Plus there rates are extremely affordable to the point where gift giving was in order to show them gratitude. I have a feeling they under billed me for the amount of hours they put in.

Last shop I went to, Cork Auto in Jamaica Plain, just got it plain wrong. My passenger side low-beam HID was lazy. It would rarely fire upon ignition. Usually it took about 5-10 minutes for it to fire. From then on, it remained constant. Cork Auto replaced the HID control unit rather than the ballast or ignitor. That did not solve the problem. That was two years ago. Now i'm out quite a few hundred for something that i didn't need in the first place.

Little Car Garage asked about that and when I told them that the control unit had been replaced, they found it a non-traditional way of fixing the problem without knowing or disparaging the other shop.

If you read a post a little back, I had a problem where the CEL came on and the car had extremely reduced power. AutoZone code reader revealed a cylinder misfire on all 3 on the passengers side bank Vee.

So I bought $184 worth of spark plugs (12 Denso Iridium) hoping that would solve the problem. I was ****ting bricks at this point thinking of all the $$. LFCG through thorough testing determined the passegers side cat was plugged and a small vacuum leak existed. They also determined that all 4 02 sensors were working, and that the MAF would soon need replacement.

Emissions was under warranty. Service Rep at MB dealer tried the standard trick of selling me needless crap to the amount of $1800 but would take 10% off since it cost so much. They said, I needed new air filters, new spark plugs, spark plug wires, and a new MAF sensor. They wanted $800 alone for parts/labor for the MAF. I changed it after for $250 myself in parts.

Diplomatically, I called the service rep on the upsell they finally agreed that that LFCG was right. Luckily they replaced both Cats since the other cracked or something. I threw the a bone by letting them replace the air filters for a little over a hundred.

Along the way LFCG was willing to goto battle for me and took time out of there day to help me with the battle.

Anyhow, LFCG kicks *** and if anyone says otherwise, i'll smack you in person. https://mbworld.org/forums/images/sm...smashfreak.gif

Last edited by c320-3216; 01-08-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by exanimas
Let me know how this goes. 2 reasons: 1) My power steering is whining and I don't know how to fill it, but will look it up and and give it a go. 2) I live in MA and if this shop is as good as you say it is, it may be worth the drive for me. Goodluck man.
Dude, if it's whining, there's a good possibility of a leak somewhere. With a flashlight, check the undertray to see any fluid buildup. If so, you got a leak down there just like I did.

Check the fluid level while engine is cold. If low, fill it. If noise is still present, air is in the system. Now, turn the engine on and with car warmed up, turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times to bleed any air out. I hold the wheel in the lock position for about 4 seconds each side. I cycle it about 2-4 times.

then let it cool down and check the level again. Fill if necessary.

If the noise comes back, then you got an air leak and need to visit LFCG where if you treat them with respect, they will take care of you. I don't recommend Cork Auto in JP.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 AM

2001 C320
I followed your directions - and there it was!! Thanks a lot!! Owe you a beer (or 6). Well, turned out the level was below min. Guessed that's why the sterring was hard and made funny noises, hey...

Thanks again for the help...
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Almost a Member!

well guys, the worst case scenario. My power steering rack needs to be replaced. It's out of warranty so it's a $2800 repair. OUCH!!!!!

Why does this part fail and why is it so expensive to replace?

thanks,
Old 01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
haha just got this damn noise problem develop today

car still under warranty so I'm gonna take it in and enjoy my loaner car. I hope they give me a new rack and an alignment (needs it bad)

is it still safe to drive for a few days with the whining noise?

Last edited by benz_addict; 01-27-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Originally Posted by benz_addict

is it still safe to drive for a few days with the whining noise?
I was told that the power steering system will work without fluid, just as your engine will work without oil. It will still work, but with no lubrication, damage to the system will occur. If I were you, I'd just top it off every day until you can get it in to the dealer.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by nickgailloux
I was told that the power steering system will work without fluid, just as your engine will work without oil. It will still work, but with no lubrication, damage to the system will occur. If I were you, I'd just top it off every day until you can get it in to the dealer.
thanks for the quick reply nick I'll start topping it off tomorrow, you think Canadian tire has the appropriate fluid or is it going to cost me a leg at the stealership?