E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-17-2015, 03:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Help.... how do you replace air filter on 2006 - 350 engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK 350 Fog City, CA, USA
Question Help.... how do you replace air filter on 2006 - 350 engine?

Anyone know how to get the rear engine shroud cover off/open so I can change the air filter on a 2006 350 engine???

The front part part comes off easily by grabbing the front and lifting off, but the rear cover has me stumped. Are there screws or clips or just brute force needed to get the rear cover off to get access to the air cleaner?

Anyone??
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
On the e500 there are ball sockets that will pop up when you pull on them. Then there are if I remember correctly 10mm nuts holding the bottom of the shroud on and then the filter. Just a vertical tug on the airfilter assembly after you have the front part off should do it.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Correct! Lift up, and there you have it, off it shall come. The first time I did my CLS that pull-up had me scared, felt like I was going to break something!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys....

I never would have guessed... I'm used to flipping off clips or removing hold down screws but could not see any.

So where's the best place to grab that air filter assembly??? front or back ??

Pull off evenly, or pull front first, then rear? I tried a little pull up before asking on this post, and it felt like it was screwed down tightly so I stopped pulling.

So I'll try pulling again but harder... which means when reinstalling you have to hammer it down hard with your fist???
Old 05-10-2008, 06:09 AM

Thumbs up

Worked!!! Actually, there is an easier way....
1. Pop off front shroud by lifting on front edge.
2. Pull back on air ducts (2) to disengage from air filter housing.
3. Pull back and wiggle off EFG hose to disengage from air filter housing.
4. Push down hard first on either rear corner of air filter housing and the opposite end will pop up!
5. Pull up hard on the corner you just pushed down and lift off air filter housing!
6. Turn over housing and remove fasteners to get to air filters (2).

Now where is the Cabin Carbon air filter located and how do you remove it on a 2006 CLK 350 ???

Anyone?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
OK. All cars have these fancy Plastic Engine Covers from the cheapest to Luxury car... What is the point of these plastic covers? Isn't the hood just as effective an engine cover?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
OK. All cars have these fancy Plastic Engine Covers from the cheapest to Luxury car... What is the point of these plastic covers? Isn't the hood just as effective an engine cover?
It's more of a decorative cover than anything else. As a matter of fact, the plastic cover is not good for dissipate engine heat. It traps the heat from the engine.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
So you can't see the real working stuff when you open the hood at the dealership.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 PM

Thumbs up

5 Reasons for the Plastic engine cover

1. When non-mechanically inclined owner opens the hood... he sez " WOW! that's a big engine!!! .. instead of saying " Hey! Where's the engine?"

2. Keeps the @wner's fingers from messing with the engine, so only the Dealer can charge you more for the service.

3. Gives the body designer something to do under the hood.

4. Actually in the case of the new 350 engine, the rear cover portion surrounds the High Voltage Ignition unit and is the housing for the dual air filters.

5. The front portion of the cover is more Decorative than functional but gives a place to put the STAR emblem to remind you it is a Mercedes engine/car! It is a thin plastic wedge that sits flush against the hood padding so I don't think it blocks any air flow.

The heat is needed to help heat up the catalytic converter to reduce emissions as soon as possible. The radiator function is to keep the engine from burning up; it now has a 143,000 miles/ 15 year coolant life, but I wonder how long the water pump seal/bearing will last without changing the coolant???

Maybe add a bottle of Redline water wetter once a year to keep the water pump happy???

What does everyone think?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by unitfreebie
5 Reasons for the Plastic engine cover

1. When non-mechanically inclined owner opens the hood... he sez " WOW! that's a big engine!!! .. instead of saying " Hey! Where's the engine?"

2. Keeps the @wner's fingers from messing with the engine, so only the Dealer can charge you more for the service.

3. Gives the body designer something to do under the hood.

4. Actually in the case of the new 350 engine, the rear cover portion surrounds the High Voltage Ignition unit and is the housing for the dual air filters.

5. The front portion of the cover is more Decorative than functional but gives a place to put the STAR emblem to remind you it is a Mercedes engine/car! It is a thin plastic wedge that sits flush against the hood padding so I don't think it blocks any air flow.

The heat is needed to help heat up the catalytic converter to reduce emissions as soon as possible. The radiator function is to keep the engine from burning up; it now has a 143,000 miles/ 15 year coolant life, but I wonder how long the water pump seal/bearing will last without changing the coolant???

Maybe add a bottle of Redline water wetter once a year to keep the water pump happy???

What does everyone think?
Sounds like an bean counter plan to make the engineers remain silent.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 PM

Talking

Yes, I agree.... Some Industrial Designer at Mercedes is trying to earn his/her keep.

The engine compartment used to be strictly the domain of the mechanical engineers... but now it is beginning to be a race to see how many oohs and ahhs you get when popping the hood.

Next we will soon see a yearly list of the top 10 Engine Compartment Design!

It reminds me of the days of the first transistor radio. Sony was the first out with a 6 transistors radio, so other makers advertised that their radio had 10 transistors even though 4 of them were dummies or used as diodes!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury fully loaded
Do these instructions for getting at the air filter work for the 320 engine in my 04 E320? Does anyone have pictures of the process? I'm just a bit concerned I'll break something.
Thanks