Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Collateral damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Collateral damage

Coming home from dinner Monday night, and a guy in a little Audi 2.0T was driving like he was in an episode of Fast & Furious, but he kept getting hung up in traffic so never got ahead but was eyeballing me every time we were side by side. Next thing I know, I'm between him and a Hellcat Charger, so I'm fishing for a dodge kill.

Sadly, the Charger turned off before we got out of downtown, but right as he turned off a Challenger Hellcat pulls up behind me. Audi guy is still trying to get my attention, but I am curious if the guy behind me will play. I get a bit of a hole in front of me so I cast out ever so gently (goosed it to about 1/2 throttle for a second) and sure enough, The dodge bites by hammering his throttle and flying up on my tail as pass the last intersection before the highway. Audi guy is stuck in a slower lane, again.

Traffic opens up a little later and the Hellcat does a WOT fly by and has to slow down for one of the last cars ahead of us. Couple more cars peel off so I move over behind the Hellcat, he hammers it and goes for the open lane I just moved into so I hammer it too. We are past all of the traffic on awide open 3 lane highway now. He had a slight jump on me but I'm slowly reeling him in. I wasn't going to get around him so I stayed behind and crept up on him, only lifted partially for a second as I didn't want to be drafting close, never got closer than about 3-4 car lengths.

We both stayed in it until until about the same time as when I lifted he must have decided it was fast enough too as we both stayed about 3 cars apart as we slowed until I moved over to pull up next to him. After I lifted I looked down and saw the number 160 drop to 159 on the speedo display so we were going above 160 by the end. Fastest I've ever gone in my car.

Got up next to him and the first thing he said was "That thing is Fast!" I don't think he expected to get tailgated up to over 160, LOL. Seemed cool about it. Invited him to the track. His car was so new it still had dealership plates and a temp registration in the back window.

We were in a construction area by the time we talked so we kept it cool, even as the little Audi I had forgotten about finally caught up, LOL. We kind of lost sight of him for a while there.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
You should get a dashcam!
Old 08-05-2016, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
I have one, with dual cameras so it shows front and rear, but realized it was turned off after the fact.....
Old 08-06-2016, 03:18 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
A Charger HC pulls off and a Challenger HC pulls up?
Where was the GTR?
Old 08-06-2016, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Lol, I know, could hardly believe it myself. In almost 3 years of daily driving my CL I could count on one hand the number chances I've had to play, then in one drive here are two Hellcats, and one of them is going my way and willing to play.

Before I got my CL I had a sonic blue Lightning and I could hardly ever get anyone interested. It was a little quicker than my CL, and I made a lot of passes at the track with it too. I have a friend who has a sonic blue Lightning with just bolt on's and he says he can't get a race either because so many people think his is my old truck.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
The Audi guy reminds me of a little encounter I had at the drag strip in Indy a few years back with a Z3. Just so happened he and I lined up next to each other while in line. We had a chance to chat before our run. He says "so you are my MB competition." I didn't feel it would go well if I told him a modded supercharged V8 and a 1.9 liter 4 banger was not competition so I just kinda nodded.

I manage a low 12 on bad prep and stock tires and he runs a 15+. He comes to me after the run and tells me if that is all the faster his car is, he is selling it. 3 seconds difference in the 1/4 needs to be measured to semi truck lengths.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
LOL. So many people in the US just think of Mercedes as luxury barges ad have no clue how fast some of them are.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
LOL. So many people in the US just think of Mercedes as luxury barges ad have no clue how fast some of them are.
Funny timing. It has been years since I had the right opportunity to have a run with a car on the open road. then we chat about it and poof. A little quick background. My wife dragged me to the middle of nowhere Wisconsin. I have seen maybe three of four MBs in the 8 months I have lived here. No AMGs to speak of.

This evening, I am on the way home from looking at Gopros and stereo mics of all things to record some video and engine/exhaust noise from my car. On the back roads, I roll up fairly close to a vette. He decides to turn onto the road I was going on anyway. As I come around the corner, I see he waited a bit for me. He is two or three car lengths in front of me and I have barely made the turn when I hear him go WOT. I nail it too. Already in second, I had to wait for the kickdown to one. It really didn't matter. Within moments, I was reeling him in so fast I had to use the other lane to pass. I rolled passed him with significant speed. Stayed in it until about 130 mph. Can't even count the car lengths.

I don't know much about vettes, but it looked like a C6 body style. It wasn't a Z06 (don't think), but I am pretty sure he was running turbos. When he shifted, I heard that weird sound that reminded me of waste gates.

laid down a little German AMG whipping on the merican iron only boys. What fun! Sure wish I had the gopro hooked up.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Seems like you get the chance when you least expect it.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Dr. Matt,
I like your style on the run and posting it (too many folks out there who go "off the rails" when they hear about a street encounter). This is why a lot of us drive these cars...
TK
The following users liked this post:
Dr Matt (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Thanks. I don't go out looking for races or hang out at the local weekend hot spots, but when an opportunity arises to play and there is no other traffic getting put in harms way, well... yeah.

Like I said, we got around the only other cars on the road right at the start and were on a separated multi lane highway. I'd never go by/around another car at those speeds.