Height sensors, why ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 379 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Height sensors, why ?

I am wondering why the AMG GTS has height sensors on each wheel and what is their effect and what does this do when the car is lowered ?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by ronin amg
I am wondering why the AMG GTS has height sensors on each wheel and what is their effect and what does this do when the car is lowered ?
I’m wondering if the ride height sensors effect shock ‘valving’ in the magnetorheologic shocks. Meaning if a corner of the car is sitting lower than optimal or the other corners, the shock automatically ‘firms up’?

Bish
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
ronin amg (09-24-2018), sno (09-26-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thebishman

I’m wondering if the ride height sensors effect shock ‘valving’ in the magnetorheologic shocks. Meaning if a corner of the car is sitting lower than optimal or the other corners, the shock automatically ‘firms up’?

Bish
I can't seem to find an answer but I would like to know if my lowered GTS has an effect on the dampening. I can feel the setting changes from comfort, sport and sport+..
Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
I've been looking through WIS hoping for a nice function description of this system, but they are all very basic. The gist of it is, that the suspension control unit does use the level sensors as one input to decide how to actuate the damping valves, but I can't find the actual correlation. It does say that during acceleration/braking/cornering it will stiffen up the shocks to reduce body motions, so it makes sense that as they compress they get stiffer.

I attached some relevant files. Hard to find more specifics than this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ADS function.pdf (190.8 KB, 78 views)
ADS basic function.pdf (190.6 KB, 48 views)
Damping valve function.pdf (651.2 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 09-24-2018 at 09:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
California John (09-24-2018), MalibuScott (09-25-2018), ronin amg (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:32 PM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
Does anyone know if you can read each sensor with an OBDII reader?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I've been looking through WIS hoping for a nice function description of this system, but they are all very basic. The gist of it is, that the suspension control unit does use the level sensors as one input to decide how to actuate the damping valves, but I can't find the actual correlation. It does say that during acceleration/braking/cornering it will stiffen up the shocks to reduce body motions, so it makes sense that as they compress they get stiffer.

I attached some relevant files. Hard to find more specifics than this.
Thanks but if our cars are lowered what effect will it have on the sensor position ?
Will it be out of it's preset range to do the job as designed ?
Old 09-25-2018, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTS
I can see the different pressure/height being shown on one of the screens in the Dynamic Vehicle menu (the one that shows steering angle etc). Maybe it has something to do with that too.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
This article from Daimler provides a description of the adaptive damping on the SLS, which is likely similar to the GT

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...ml?oid=9919964

and this video on the AMG GT gives a good description of the adaptive suspension and the interaction of the ride height sensors and other sensors

The ride height sensors are continuously monitoring the position and movement of each wheel, not just the static ride height when the car is sitting still. Their function is to allow the various computers to continuously adjust the damping force of the suspension dampers based on the comfort, sport and sport+ setting and engine response and brake response via the stability control computer.
The following 3 users liked this post by descartesfool:
California John (09-25-2018), ronin amg (09-25-2018), thebishman (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by descartesfool
This article from Daimler provides a description of the adaptive damping on the SLS, which is likely similar to the GT

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...ml?oid=9919964

and this video on the AMG GT gives a good description of the adaptive suspension and the interaction of the ride height sensors and other sensors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsGuIJXtzjU

The ride height sensors are continuously monitoring the position and movement of each wheel, not just the static ride height when the car is sitting still. Their function is to allow the various computers to continuously adjust the damping force of the suspension dampers based on the comfort, sport and sport+ setting and engine response and brake response via the stability control computer.
I have seen that but my question is, if the car is lowered will those sensors still function or will they be out of their operational range.
I know when I lowered my 2018 AMG e63s wagon the sensors on it showed there was a limit to their operational range. This was corrected with adjustable links on the sensor arm.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
They will still function, they are designed to read the full range and the controller decides what to do with that info. I agree with your assumption that it will be somewhat stiffer since it's already lower than normal, but how much, I can't find. I was hoping for a more technical description page but couldn't find one.
The following 2 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
California John (09-25-2018), ronin amg (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
They will still function, they are designed to read the full range and the controller decides what to do with that info. I agree with your assumption that it will be somewhat stiffer since it's already lower than normal, but how much, I can't find. I was hoping for a more technical description page but couldn't find one.
I would have thought the stiffness to be determined by it's movement in relation to the body not it's static position being lowered.
If lowered is it out of it's operating range is my question ?
Old 09-25-2018, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by ronin amg
I would have thought the stiffness to be determined by it's movement in relation to the body not it's static position being lowered.
If lowered is it out of it's operating range is my question ?
The operating range is the full range of travel, so no? But you aren't really gonna be able to change the suspension and assume it will be exactly the same.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
This seems to have opened a whole can of worms if you replace with aftermarket springs to lower the car. Is the car going to be any faster on a circuit? It would seem that a stiffer and lower spring would change the compression and rebound reading that the sensors pick up. Now if someone on the board has tracked their car before a spring change and after and has lap times it might shed some light whether a lower car is any faster than stock ride height and spring rates. . Since I just lowered the car with KW's it does ride stiffer but is that necessarily good for the Magnetorheologic dampers who use data from the ride height. Responses appreciated.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
This seems to have opened a whole can of worms if you replace with aftermarket springs to lower the car. Is the car going to be any faster on a circuit? It would seem that a stiffer and lower spring would change the compression and rebound reading that the sensors pick up. Now if someone on the board has tracked their car before a spring change and after and has lap times it might shed some light whether a lower car is any faster than stock ride height and spring rates. . Since I just lowered the car with KW's it does ride stiffer but is that necessarily good for the Magnetorheologic dampers who use data from the ride height. Responses appreciated.
I think you guys are overthinking this.

Will the valving of the shocks be slightly stiffer because of the lower ride height, sure. Same thing if you had the car heavily loaded and it was riding a tad lower. Will it drastically change the handling characteristics? No, it's just stiffening up the shocks the same amount it would when the suspension is normally deflected to that height. The sensors are only one of many inputs the suspension controller looks at to change the settings. It won't bother the shocks, they are just working how they are supposed to.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
Great information.

I know that I had the same questions when I wanted to lower my Grand Sport. So just to be on the safe side I changed the spindles which kept the same geometry. On the GTS I'm just doing the H&R springs and seeing what happens.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 191 Likes on 147 Posts
/////PRO
You will see ZERO issues or negative impact if properly installed.