Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

what happened to my Fader?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 143 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
what happened to my Fader?

I've had my 2002 C230K Coupe for only a couple of weeks now, and when I adjusted the audio settings recently, there was no fader. I'm relatively certain I saw it before, as I thought I had adjusted it a little heavier to the rear. I think while poking around with the buttons, I held one down too long and it reset my settings. Now when I press AUD repeatedly, it goes from BASS to TREBLE to BALANCE, skipping right over FADER. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good luck to me; bump.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black
Did you get a manual with the car?

Push and hold the AUD button for several seconds. That will reset the audio controls. Maybe that will work.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I should have remembered to start my post with, "yes, I've RTFMed and STFFed." Resetting the Audio controls has NOT restored the Fader. In fact, it was after resetting the Audio controls that I first noticed it missing, but I want to be careful not to assume that that is somehow the cause. It was around the same time that I got the first flat tire in the car, and I fear that maybe my rummaging around back by the spare may have dislodged the rear speaker connection. I was hoping someone who had experienced the missing fader control might point me toward a potential cause, as there's no mention of it coming and going in the manual.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
No flame, but its been almost 4 weeks and you are still asking. Doesn't that give you time to stop at the stealer for a warranty assessment?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none taken, but no, I haven't had time. I guess all these years I've had out-of-warranty cars, it was more than the shop rate that kept me away from the stealership. When I brought this car in for warranty covered sunroof repair, the whole "VIP" treatment with free loaner car ended up taking over an hour at 8:00 a.m., then they kept the car overnight. If it was an important item, I'd suck it up and take the hour, but for a fader? I keep hoping it will get read by someone with an easy fix, but that won't happen on if it's on page 3. I can promise you won't ever see me bump a thread more than once though.

Last edited by eddieo45; 11-10-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey, super-AMDeutsch, if you're still subscribed, I finally got to the dealership to have the fader looked at; turns out THEY had shut it off, having misunderstood or miscommunicated my request to have the auto-volume levelling feature shut off a week before. All better now, after 3 months of living with it (and it only took them an hour )!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB C240 & 2004 ML 350
Originally Posted by eddieo45
hey, super-AMDeutsch, if you're still subscribed, I finally got to the dealership to have the fader looked at; turns out THEY had shut it off, having misunderstood or miscommunicated my request to have the auto-volume levelling feature shut off a week before. All better now, after 3 months of living with it (and it only took them an hour )!
Whoopee!!! my first post on the site.

Funny you mentioned the fader. I recently (less than a month) took ownership of a 2003 C230K for my wife, I have been playing around with the radio and have not seen any fader. So, my question is: can the functionality of the fader be turned on without the aid of the dealership?

I must say that I have had only 3 contact with the dealership and am not very impressed with the service. Maybe because I didn't purchase the car from them...but they act as if i'm asking for a freebie. Incidentally, I have an appointment for a repair on the sun roof and I plan on waiting. You mentioned they kept yours overnight...Should I expect to have them keep it overnight?

Thanks in advance

Troy D.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tromar1
Whoopee!!! my first post on the site.
...I have been playing around...and have not seen any fader...can the ..fader be turned on without..the dealership? I am not very impressed with the dealership service. ..they act as if i'm asking for a freebie. Incidentally, I have an appointment for a repair on the sun roof and I plan on waiting. You mentioned they kept yours overnight...Should I expect to have them keep it overnight?
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. You'll find no shortage of opinions here, but do-it-yourself'ers and modders abound, so "stealerships" are far from popular.
I'd imagine that the attitude will vary from dealer to dealer, and hopefully, a south Jersey member will recommend one for you. Me? I'd ignore the attitude and enjoy my "freebie". I bought my car from an auction, and it came with a couple of "stories", including a sunroof that wouldn't fully open. When I sat down with the service adviser, he commented on my obvious apprehension and defensiveness and assured me he would win me over. They took care of my little "laundry list": non-working cupholder and cigarette lighter, and the sunroof issue (all for free, of course). In addition, they offered me a deal on a paintless dent removal service they offer, removing 5 or six dings from 2 or 3 body panels for $199. I'd bet that's what made it take overnight, which was not that big a deal when you factor in the free rental (they asked if it would be okay if they gave me a non-Mercedes, and I assume I could have demanded one) and the free wash.
I don't think there is any way you can restore your fader without the dealer's Star Diagnostic System, irrespective of what some know-it-alls who advised me to read the manual or search the forum might think. You can push that AUD button till the cows come home, or hold it down for 3 seconds to reset, and the fader doesn't return, in my experience. Do a search for South Jersey, and find some members that might be able to recommend a dealership; someone might even give you a specific service advisor to ask for.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...oh yeah, and post some pics of the car. the bimmer too.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:48 PM

Thanks eddio45...

your response was on point...actually, I didn't know i was missing the fader until i stumbled on your post.

Incidentally, I am member of bimmerfest and love the way we all assist each other... After getting the C230, I surfed both benzworld and MBWorld to get a feel for the type members on each site and to see what kind of mods were being done (audio & cosmetic). Can't say I have any insights yet, as i'm still new...

However, I did an extensive search of all my issues prior to registering and posting; yet, my main issue is still somewhat unresolved. The issue: would my warranty be voided if I upgraded my headunit to a Pioneer Avic D1. I have seen some answers that gives me a feel for the what to expect.

Nonetheless, I was not about to ask after stumbling on a post where someone made comments about being told to search first after posting his displeasure...the post was promptly shut down by a moderator. At first I was sympathetic...then after reading the responses to his query, it made perfect sense that if there are no repetitive questions, it would make the search easier...

As for pics...I haven't taken any of the C230 yet, though i can't wait...

Here are a few of the X3
Attached Thumbnails what happened to my Fader?-mbx3-b.jpg   what happened to my Fader?-mbnav-screen-1.jpg  
Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's obvious that you have the right attitude for this forum, as evidenced by your "search first, ask second" approach. Just remember to start a post with something like, "I searched the forum and...." or, " the manual states...", which will minimize the flames. I usually wonder if the members who chide, "read the manual" have read theirs, or even fully read the post they're replying to (like shorthair advising me to read the manual and try resetting my audio controls, when my post stated that resetting my audio controls was how I discovered my issue). Good luck with the dealerships; enjoy the freebies while you can!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black
Originally Posted by eddieo45
(like shorthair advising me to read the manual and try resetting my audio controls, when my post stated that resetting my audio controls was how I discovered my issue).
I simply asked if you received the manual with the car. Why did I ask that? Because you clearly stated "I think while poking around with the buttons, I held one down too long and it reset my settings." "Think" means you are not sure. What was I going to do if you said you did not have the manual? I was going to scan and post the page, like I have done for a bunch of other folks looking for info. Nothing mean spirited was intended. Sorry if you interpreted it that way.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 PM

Thanks guys...Ironically, I always read the manual the same day I take ownership. It's almost a novel for me, as I sit in the drivers seat and acquaint myself with the car (considering I have to teach my wife).

I must admit, though...I am the first to be sarcastic should the need arise. However, I'm a newbie so i'll defer to the super mods and all. I'm here to learn, man.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shorthair
Nothing mean spirited was intended. Sorry if you interpreted it that way.
sorry, man; I shouldn't have used you as an example. I should've led my original post with, "I read the manual and searched the forum...", which I did.