Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Best way to get replacement cd changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to get replacement cd changer

Hi,
I have a 2000 clk320 with a cd player that no longer works.
An MB dealer quoted me $700+ for part and $400 for labor

I would really appreciate help on any cheaper way. Here are some possiblities.

1. Ebay, has a couple used ones, but I've also seen some discussion on mating with the receiver, can one just connect it or does it need some special programing?

2. Getting an alpine changer, but getting an adapter for MB. I've heard some shops can do this.

HELP
Old 11-17-2005, 12:57 AM

Maybe I should describe my CD changer problem.
when the CD player jumps to new cd, it stop and cannot eject.
after I disconnect the cd changer for a couple days, it can play again, but on changing cds it hangs and the eject button does not light up.
help
Old 11-17-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2022 911 c4s cab, 2022 Lambo Urus
you can buy the changer on ebay (or from me in a few months) and replace it yourself. I did it when i got my car. my clk didnt come with a changer so I installed it myself. Takes about 5 minutes. I didnt buy a bracket for the changer thanks to threads on this forum, used double sided tape and saved a few bucks.

Then i took it to the dealer, asked them to add the changer to the fiber optic loop, and done. Didnt cost a thing.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:36 PM

thanks, let me checkout ebay, I'll also try ripping apart my current changer to see if there any way to fix it.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
My changer quit working a couple of months ago. My dealer replaced it for $600--approximately $350 for a rebuilt changer and $250 for labor. It works great! They told me a new changer would have cost about $900.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:14 PM

Your dealer had rebuilts available? That's sweet.

FYI: I actually took the Changer apart and fixed it. Saved me $1K

For anyone interested here's what broke: The CD eject button was stuck in the pushed position, the eject light doesn't light up and the CD changer hangs. After I took off the faceplate, I found that the eject button is a plastic piece with some leftover pastic around the side. For some reasons, the leftover pastic was scraping against the side and causing the button to be stuck. After 6 yrs, I don't know why it's happening now. Anyway, I took a knife and scrap the button to remove the excess plastic, put it back in, now the button is able to pop back up. And the CD is up and running. I can't imaging anyone would have a similar problem. But just in case.... :p
Old 11-18-2005, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I "fixed" mine twice, and it worked great for awhile. But both times it broke again. When it quit the third time I decided to just have it replaced.

Hope you do not have the same experience! Please post a note if it goes again. I am just curious about the durability of these changers.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:27 PM
BBH

2010 CL63 (was 2003 CL55)
iPod instead?

You might consider taking this opportunity to check out the various "hard wired" iPod arrangements. Some solutions I have stumbled across use the changer plug in the back of your radio head unit and allow full functionality from an iPod as if it was a CD changer. Do a Google search for 'iPod integration".
Old 11-20-2005, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by BBH
You might consider taking this opportunity to check out the various "hard wired" iPod arrangements. Some solutions I have stumbled across use the changer plug in the back of your radio head unit and allow full functionality from an iPod as if it was a CD changer. Do a Google search for 'iPod integration".
I looked for something like that before I replaced that out-dated CD changer, but found nothing that would actually work in my 2000/S500/W220. Would be still be very interested if one of you guys come up w/ something.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Just did a search and here is what I came up w/:

The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz is now available for the redesigned 2006 M-Class SUV, C-Class (MY05 and newer), CLK-Class (MY05 and newer), E-Class (MY04 and newer), CLS-Class (MY06), and SLK-Class (MY05 and newer; vehicles equipped with COMAND [****pit Management and Data system] system only). Upon vehicle introduction, the solution will be available for the new 2006 R-Class.