Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Navi COMAND update - what exactly gets updated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Question Navi COMAND update - what exactly gets updated?

Does anyone know if the updated DVD (in my case: Mercedes-Benz MELCO COMAND - North America Map DVD v.6) only upgrade maps or does it also include general firmware update for the navigation system itself? Another words, do they update things like improper pronunciation of certain names/words, display arrangement, etc. or is it strictly a new map/poi?

I posed this question to Navtek, but haven't received a response yet.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
E-55,IS-250
Good question I would like to know as well
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 PM

OK, got a response from Navtek:

The updates do not change any graphics or features only the raw data
Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
New streets, POI's,... stuff like that. Still good old 2D view which IMHO is better to navigate anyways than using 3D birds eye view. Just another gimmick that has been implemented which need more processing power and completely worthless.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 AM

My main concern was the awkwardness with witch some of these directions are announced by the voice... it tends to confuse you sometimes. Mine is a 2008 version... I was hoping that maybe they've fixed it in more recent version, but it doesn't seem like it...
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
There are also telematics updates for your comand... The telematics updates change all sorts of things and fix bugs and add features... which of these each update does depends on what your current firmware is...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by rob13572468
There are also telematics updates for your comand... The telematics updates change all sorts of things and fix bugs and add features... which of these each update does depends on what your current firmware is...
So you're saying Navtek's response was incorrect?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I should let Rob answer for himself, but he is correct, and his information does not contradict NavTeq's.

NavTeq's DVDs supply updated map and POI data. They also provide certain minor updates for the navigation system firmware. Those updates load when a new annual data update disc is first inserted, and you do not see them again. These discs are sold as parts, and have part numbers listed in the MB parts catalog.

Because folks sometimes skipped the annual Navteq data updates, they also missed out on some of the minor nav firmware updates. When a newer disc is inserted several years later, its update feature would look for certain code to update, which may be missing. The system would then reject the new disc. Dealers have discs that would provide the missing interim firmware updates that would then allow use of the latest DVD. If you perform annual nav data updates, this problem does not occur. In the U.S., If you skip some, but buy your update from your dealer, the dealer may update your nav firmware free if it rejects the new disc. If you buy the updates directly from Navteq, and have skipped several, you may have to buy the interim update disc from the dealer ($12 cost to the dealer) - or pay him to do the updates for you. The interim update discs are listed with tool numbers in the tool catalog - not the parts catalog - and if you were to buy one usually the service department, not the parts department, has to order them.

Then there are COMAND service discs provided to MB dealers by MB. These update the COMAND firmware, which may also update some nav display features - but which do not update the Navteq data or the nav firmware itself. One such update (there have been several) added display of phone signal strength and ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) information to the on-screen display in nav mode. It also eliminated the ability to change nav destinations, etc. while the car was in motion, and it eliminated access to the "secret" (engineering) menu that so many folks think will give them DVD video capability (it won't, for U.S. spec COMANDs). Another such update provided a "Bird's Eye" view. These discs are also listed as tools, with tool numbers.

You can read more about these at https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...pdate-dvd.html - konigsteiger's post at #12 is especially informative. Note, however, that since the time of the 2008 post, part/tool numbers have probably changed.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-01-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: reworded slightly in light of next post in string
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

Great write up Skylaw.

But don't forget to mention that many dealerships don't sell this CD to customers. I know someone who said the dealership wanted to charge him $140 to do the nav drive update. A little bit discouraging if you ask me.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rob13572468
What exactly is on these Telematics DVDs anyways? ECU updates?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Great write up Skylaw.

But don't forget to mention that many dealerships don't sell this CD to customers. I know someone who said the dealership wanted to charge him $140 to do the nav drive update. A little bit discouraging if you ask me.

if you speaketh about the separate telematics update disc and not the nav, you have to understand that the techs are paid flat rate, and to have a vehicle tied up on their lift an hour or two for free... means they aren't taking home any money for those 2 hours... now if MBUSA was to pay them they would be more than happy to do it... but MBUSA is the one that says, what is needed and who is to pay. hope that makes sense.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jbondox
if you speaketh about the separate telematics update disc and not the nav, you have to understand that the techs are paid flat rate, and to have a vehicle tied up on their lift an hour or two for free... means they aren't taking home any money for those 2 hours... now if MBUSA was to pay them they would be more than happy to do it... but MBUSA is the one that says, what is needed and who is to pay. hope that makes sense.
I talked about the special tools cd to update a nav drive not the Telematics CD/DVD.