Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Many thanks to Steve for the Euro Comand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 10:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Many thanks to Steve for the Euro Comand

I bought an Euro Comand from Steve Thursday, he shipped it friday and I got it monday! I swapped the Comand from E55 with the Euro and installed the US Comand in the CLK55, and everything is working perfectly. Steve gave a good price and excellent service. It is alot better than taking my chance again on German Ebay. Even though I have done the retrofit before, he still gave me a detail instruction and all the parts needed. Steve is extremely professional and highly recommended to anyone.

John
Old 04-16-2003, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
What are the benefits of the Euro vs US COMAND in a 2000 S500?
Thanks
Old 04-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Thanks John; nice to hear it all worked out to your satisfaction!

greetingz,
Old 04-21-2003, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 200 (06/99)
Unhappy Command Navigator....

Hi!!!
I´m thinking to install one on a SLK.

Do you have any link, or photo, or something about it??

Thanks from Spain.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:00 PM

2006 E55
Command for 1999 E430

I am interested in installing the Command unit in my '99 E430. What is involved in doing this? I presume I'll have to change out the steering wheel, center wood panel above the ashtray and the stock head unit for the Command unit.

I'm told that my car came withe the necessary fibre optic wiring and that no wiring changes will be necessary. I am also unclear about the difference between the US anf Euro Command units.

It also sounds like Steve at MBenz.NL is the guy to see for the parts and info.

How big a job is this and what am I looking at in cost? Thanks to anyone for some guidance here.

Thanks, Greg
Old 04-24-2003, 02:43 PM

98 ml320
Steve installed a Comand in my ML few days ago. He did a good job (factory look). In fact, a friend of mine liked it so much that Steve is installing one for her CLK tomorrow.

Greg - Steve's price is $1300 installed. It took him 3 hours to do it in my ML. I highly recommend having him install it. It's a bit complicated & might require splicing some wires. In addition, it saves you all the trouble of sourcing additional parts/harness. He might be going to Southern California and if so, you should contact him to see if he can schedule you in.

Last edited by rik320; 04-24-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by rik320
Steve installed a Comand in my ML few days ago. He did a good job (factory look). In fact, a friend of mine liked it so much that Steve is installing one for her CLK tomorrow.

Greg - Steve's price is $1300 installed. It took him 3 hours to do it in my ML. I highly recommend having him install it. It's a bit complicated & might require splicing some wires. In addition, it saves you all the trouble of sourcing additional parts/harness. He might be going to Southern California and if so, you should contact him to see if he can schedule you in.
Actually, the price varies depending on the car model, year, and type of COMAND you want (US or Euro).

He is going to Southern California next week some time, and will be there for a short while. If you are interested, make sure you mail him right away to get in the schedule ($200 deposit required to be scheduled).

His mail: s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com

-s-
Old 04-25-2003, 12:09 PM

2006 E55
Scorchie and rik, thanks for your replies. Does the job also entail replacing the steering wheel with a newer wheel with the hands on controls? Thanks again, greg
Old 04-25-2003, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by E430guy
Scorchie and rik, thanks for your replies. Does the job also entail replacing the steering wheel with a newer wheel with the hands on controls? Thanks again, greg
Greg, I spoke with Steve and he does currently have an extra unit that will work in your car.

I believe the cost for your car is $1300 + a new wood trim piece, which you can obtain from your dealership. Steve can also supply this trim piece, but since he is not at home for a couple weeks, he can't order the specific one for your car until then. It is about $275 for this piece, and there are several different configurations (depending on your car's equipment).

Replacing the steering wheel to have controls is also a possibility, but it requires replacing your dash cluster as well. This is a fairly expensive process, requiring (with approximate prices):

1) multifunction steering wheel/airbag ($500)
2) dash cluster ($200)
3) contact spiral, related steering column parts ($100)
4) Steve's installation (dunno what he charges for this)
5) dealer programming of dash mileage, possibly installation too (dunno, depends on your dealer)

Despite the expense, I truthfully believe this is really worth it. I had Steve do it in my C43 and use it all the time!

-s-
Old 04-25-2003, 02:20 PM

2006 E55
scorchie,

Thanks for the follow up reply. I do think I want to upgrade the steering wheel set up, though I hadn't realized that it will also entail replacing the instrument cluster as well. (Now that I think about it, the E55 cluster is probably very nice and a neat upgrade in itself over the stock E430 cluster. I better do some homework on the differences in the E55 cluster.)

Can you tell me a little about the elements in the Command unit? In addition to navigation and the radio, CD player, does it also include TV/DVD and, if so, is there some sort of access fee or monthly charge for the TV reception? Are you happy with the Command set up you put in your car?

Do you have a phone number for Steve? I lost my Netherlands phone book.......

Thanks again, Greg
Old 04-26-2003, 04:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by E430guy
Do you have a phone number for Steve? I lost my Netherlands phone book.......
I don't think he has a phonenumber...

The steering wheel talks to the car throughout the dascluster...so without a dashcliuster the steering wheel has nothing to talk to.

The euro comand has the ability to support a TV tuner which can be used to connect a DVD player...the euro comand itself is not a TV tuner and has no DVD drive.

greetingz,
Old 04-28-2003, 02:40 AM
Almost a Member!

clk500
I just got my u.s. spec. command, and cd changer installed in my clk 500 by Steve this weekend. I have to say he knows his stuff. If Steve is comming to your area make sure you don't hesitate to have him do a install in your car. Sorry, I don't have pictures at the time but will post when I get the chance.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:40 AM
Almost a Member!

clk500
I just got my u.s. spec. command, and cd changer installed in my clk 500 by Steve this weekend. I have to say he knows his stuff. If Steve is comming to your area make sure you don't hesitate to have him do a install in your car. Sorry, I don't have pictures at the time but will post when I get the chance.