Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

help with cell phone activation problem.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600

hi, i have a 2004 cl600 motorola cell phone and bluetooth equipped. the cell phone and also my upgraded puck where both working flawlessly, but now neither works. no codes or faults on star c3 diagnostics. my navigation is working and so are the voice prompts so i believe i can rule out the antenna and voice module. i'm trying to find out what module activates the phone. now when i install the phone the screen goes into activation mode and stays there continuously and never turns on. i'm assuming whatever module is designed to activate the system has gone bad. problem is i haven't been able to find out which module, or part # i need. i ordered a used motorola cell phone module A 220 820 47 85, but don't know if this is the correct module. the cell phone works flawlessly except when hooked into the car system, so i believe the cell phone is not the problem. can someone please give me the proper module to look for.
thanks, harv
Old 07-15-2015, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
i ordered A220 820 47 85 has a red warning on it that says " WARNING Once installed this control module contains vehicle specific data. Installation in another vehicle is strictly prohibited. Please refer to service literature for proper service & replacement procedures."
i'm guessing that means that it has to be adapted to my car through star. am i correct?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML 350

Sorry, but you ordered a defunct Tele aid module. They are frequently sold, dishonestly in my opinion, as a telephone module.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
thank you. so can you tell me which is the correct module that could possibly solve my problem.
thanks
Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 PM

2003 ML 350

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=132051

This contains lots of valuable information. I *think* that you need CPE part number 211 820 62 85, but you would best verify that through your own googling/research. Or, just look for the existing CPE module in your own vehicle. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
Carole, than you so much for your replies. they are much appreciated. update. i got the phone antenna A215 820 16 75 and went to install it. took off the trunk lid paneling and there was a space for the antenna, but there was no antenna installed and no wiring for it. however there was the navigation antenna installed on the drivers side of the trunk lid. this is a 2004 cl600 so they must have configured the antenna somewhere else. as i said the phone system was working flawlessly for 4 years since i've owned the car. i tried installing the puck. it did slowly flash the blue light, but the command gave a message ACTIVATING TELEPHONE PLEASE WAIT. this is the same message i have gotten for the last 6 months every time i try to either activate my mercedes phone, or puck in the cradle. this is crazy. no codes and no activation. what could be the problem? any suggestions are welcome. the dealer said that the system was working correctly. WRONG! thanks for reading.
the best, harv
Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 PM

2003 ML 350

I'm no expert at this, but I'd try replacing that cpe module. They are relatively cheap on eBay.

Even without the antenna, your phone should still activate, I would think. Did you locate your existing pse module on your car?

Trending Topics

Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
thanks, still checking. i am starting to think that a tech i had problems with sabotaged the system by removing the cell phone antenna and cutting the wire for it back to the sheath to make it look like there was no wire there. the pse would throw a code i believe and my star system doesn't show any codes. on the other hand the antenna doesn't throw any codes i believe. the car was at the dealer for 2 weeks when this particular tech who was new was working on it. he could've done the antenna sabotage in like 10 minutes start to finish. i complained to my service writer about him and it might of cost him his job, or at the very least a reprimand and $400 worth of labor. the problem came up the next time i used the phone system which was about 2 months later. it's very sinister, but this very well could have been sabotage which i can't prove. i don't believe the phone can activate with out an antenna but i could be wrong. in any case thanks for your input and wanted to keep you updated.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
well, i think i'm opting for a motorola roadster bluetooth speaker phone since i can't figure this out. this will also stream music off my phone through the car fm radio. anyone have any feedback on this model, or any other system? what would you guys recommend?