Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

W211 2011 need help with a faulty Avant-2 radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C240 '98 (W202/M112) E350 '08 (W211/M272)
W211 2011 need help with a faulty Avant-2 radio

4 month ago I replaced my original factory radio (Audio 20) with Avant-2 system bought from 'avinusa.com'. The Avant-2 system had some problems and my last problem is with the defective CAN Box.

The CAN Box isn't working at all and deactivate Avant-2 system, it seems one of the CAN box output (the red wire going to the box) is ng eems one of the CAN box output odioe sidee lamp exect locationactivating the Avant-2 radio. Currently i removed the box from the system and connected 12V (with a resistor) to the wire, bypassing the CAN Box control.

I've sent mails to Tommy (the support) and he said i should buy a new CAN box, surprisingly its not under warranty....
Where can i find the CAN box? i don't find it in 'avinusa.com' and i can't get any response from 'avinusa.com'.

Thanks in advance, Haim
Old 09-10-2016, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Well as i said before in numerous posts about that imported BS crap all imported from alibaba at $200 a pop. And i don't care what anyone says, the sound quality is no where as good as the factory unit. or an opti-1 with a kenwood or alpine unit. i am sorry you are having these issues, I cant decipher what you posted about the can wires, but if there is an ignition input, bypass the can box all together and use the cig lighter for the ignition source
Old 09-11-2016, 04:00 PM

Funny, after what happened to me I think the same. I already connected the red wire to the cigarette lighter (I'm an electronic engineer after all...) and it work fine, actually batter then before because opening the car by remote start the long android start up. I think I'll built a small circuit (two diodes, a resistor and a large capacitor) after I'll get the CAN box for improving the long start up.
what really bother me is that no one answer me and I cant find the CAN box in anywhere.
If someone could suggest where to get this CAN box it could solve my problem with AVIAN, i didn't find it in eBay.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
did you check alibaba?
Old 09-13-2016, 02:04 PM

Checked, didn't find anything with that description. I've got a latter from Tommy saying its still under warranty and I should sand them the faulty unit for replacing without charge (except posting cost to and from china). I opened the box and found the power supply protection unit burned up.

The CAN Box

The fried device...
Old 09-13-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
That's deader than disco...
The following users liked this post:
jbondox (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
serial number 000003 so that means there is 2 other boxes out there burning down vehicles? I think if you search alibaba e class radio the can interface will show up. I seen it before at CES from a china supplier a few years ago there. I was working back then for a mb dealership and thought about bringing it in until I tried operating it and walked away. you could put any name on the box, dynavin, avin, WTFaudio, etc....
Old 09-15-2016, 05:14 PM

jbondox, could you point me to this box in alibaba? I've tried and didn't found it.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:51 PM

More problems... The radio works for a few minutes (10-15) after i start the car, then it start blinking, after a minutes it start resetting itself a few times and then it stops working for a few hours. Its defiantly not not a power problem because the light in the disk slot stay on.

Does anyone ever had this problem with the AVIAN?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I don't think anyone bought one after i warned them. I will look tonight on alibaba, i just hate the 1000 emails I get after visiting the site
Old 09-23-2016, 05:04 AM

Thanks but don't waste your time...
I've got a mail from them saying they will replace the faulty CAN Box under warranty. So won't charge me for the new box but only the shipment, but... they charged me 35$ for shipment for that small box. Does it make sense or they reaping me off? I've send them back the faulty CAN Box and it cost me about 5$!

What really trouble me is the radio malfunctioning, I returned back (for the second time!) the old Audio20 so i can listen to news and set the faulty AVIAN back in the box.

I'm not sure how to continue, they want me to sand them the radio back (again, for the second time!) for testing/fixing. Just a reminder, i paid 500$ for the AVIAN and another 300$ for the shipment + tax to china and back to me. sending again the AVIAN will cost me a total of 600$, more than a new system, and I'm note sure the "fixed" system will not have other problems.

I'd like to have a refund or a brand new system (without shipment cost!), is there a way to do it under warranty?

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
WOW!
Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 PM

WOW? That's nothing, wait until you'll hear the entire story so far...

In May 2016, after some research in some MB forum (local here and global like this one) I've purchased for 500$ the Avant-2 system from 'avinusa.com'.
Just when I've install it the first problem appeared, I couldn't use the Steering Wheel Control...

Talking over mail with theirs technical support (someone name Tommy) isn't very helpful .He is very good with copy and paste the same warnings and instructions again and again (check all connectors connect, check car battery, etc...) but not a technical guy. Eventfully after some digging in the 'net the problem was found, the DIP switch in the CAN Box wasn't set right (actually they were set right, in the Avant-2 documentation both option appears, 1110 and 1111) and after set it right thankfully the radio start working like it should be.
At that time I start feeling the system was not what I expected from a premium and expensive audio system: The cold boot time was about 20 seconds (make the reveres camera not so useful...), the DVD can't play burn's DVD, the car's original CD changer stopped working, the sound quality was less than my original Audio20 and the user interface is slow and got stuck from time to time. Any way, that's still the good news...

Only 3 weeks after installing the Avant-2 system the first problem appear, the didn't turn on. I removed it from the car and test it, all fuses were good and the 12 volt reach the power supply line in the connector, I reinstall my original Audio20 and it works.

Now start the story of the famous technical support named Tommy, he might a good guy but technically it stinks. After mailing him with the problem and my tests he sent a list for testing I've already done (did I already mention I'm an electronic engineer? I've mention it to Tommy a few times but he seems to miss the point, I've tested the power and the wiring thoroughly) and said:" Do you have a car battery recharger? If you do you can try recharging the car battery." like he didn't understood that my original Audio20 is working without a hitch with the same wiring and the same car battery. Finely, just to be sure I connected the AVIAN to laboratory power supply and it still didn't worked. Finely, six weeks after I bought the Avant-2 system and after less than a couple of weeks the Avant-2 system actually worked I've sent it to... china. funny, 'avinusa.com' but china. Now; there's instructions were to put all back (except "You can keep all the cable harness and accessories.") in the original packaging, sent them close up picture of the radio stickers and so on. Anyway after an expensive delivery (more than a 100$) the radio reached China. Surprise, they found there was no problem with the radio... AVIAN amazing technical support said:
"We confirm that we have received your return unit.
We have tested it on our work bench and it does Power on and everything seems to be working normally.
What was the issue that you had with the unit?" Funny, didn't I explained the problem several time already?

They had sent me a short video showing the system works so I agreed to get the same system back after they calmed:
"Hi Haim,
Over the weekend we continued to test the unit and even left it on for a long period of time to see if it shuts off or has any power issues. We could not find any problems with the unit. It powers on correctly everytime we tested it. This leads me to thinking it might be a bad cable harness that you have that is not making the power connection to power on the head unit. We can send the unit back to you with a new cable that we will test also to make sure it works."
Anyway after six more weeks and another expensive delivery (more than a 100$) the Avant-2 system got back to me, I reconnected it (using the new cable harness) and... nothing!!! no light, no sound just nothing. Mailing to Tommy and the same old song again:" Hi Haim, How old is your cars battery and what is the voltage output from it?
My guess is that the car's battery is not putting out a strong enough power to turn on the radio." Why is he allays locked on the battery?

Anyway, Tommy the technical support (finely) came with a simple, quick and effective test in its mail: "As you can see from the video that we sent you it is working normally from our work bench. We only give 12V power to the YELLOW and RED wire and BLACK wire to ground." Surprise, the radio came back to life, meaning the problem wasn't in the radio but in the Chinese CAN Box. Very smart Tommy, couldn't you suggest it before sending the radio around the world (twice) in a cost of half the unit? what make me angry is that I've tested the original cable harness for shortcuts, disconnections and valid power and he ignore it. Testing setting the radio on without the CAN Box (that's the red wire shortcut to the 12 volt) would save me 4 months and 200$.

I've opened the CAN Box and found it fried, naturally I told Tommy about the situation and he answer was: "You can order a CANBUS replacement. They are $30usd plus shipping."... unbelievable. After reminding him the Avant-2 system is still under warranty and he agreed to send me a new CAN Box without charge but I should pay for the shipment and also send the faulty (burned) CAN Box to China (what for? I've send him the picture of the PCB, there is almost a hole on it, what was he thinking, I'll fix that junk and resale it on EBay?). Now, sending fro and back the CAN Box add another 90$ to the already spent 200$.

Now, the good thing cant stay for ever, doesn't it? after another couple of weeks the Avant-2 system start making problems. at the start, the button lighting stopped working (try find a button when you driving at night...) and a few days latter the Avant-2 stopped working, It work for a few minutes (10-15) after i start the engine and then it start blinking its screen, after a minutes it start resetting itself for a few times and then it stops working completely for several hours, no matter what I did it took the Avant-2 system a night being turn off before it came back to life for a 15 minutes lifespan period.

can you guess what happened next? yes.

Haim->AVIAN

Hello Tommy, I have a major problem with the radio. It work for a few minutes (10-15) and then it start blinking, after a minutes it start resetting itself a few times and then it stops working for a few hours. Its not a power problem because the light in the disk slot stay on. Also, since i got the radio back the button's light stopped working and the button with 4 small squares stopped working. please advice, haim

AVIAN->Haim

Hi Haim,
The lights in the disk try are small LED and only requires a tiny bit of power for it to stay on so if the unit has power issues those LED will still receive more than enough to power on.
I recommend taking out the unit and testing it on your work bench to see if the power problem continues. Give 12V power to the YELLOW and RED wire and BLACK to ground.
If everything works normally on the work bench it would mean that the car is not giving a steady power signal.
Tommy

Haim->AVIAN
Hi Tommy.
1. I've already tested it today with external power supply, the problem still happens. The button's light still not working and the one button doesn't work too. It a malfunction, it has nothing to do with unsteady power to the system
2. The disk bay led turn of immediately when I disconnect the RED wire, leaving the other two wires connected.
3. I've reconnected back (for the 3rd time...) the original radio (the Audio20) and it works fine, there is no power problem from any kind. The original radio works for years and never had a glitch.
Please see if there any other tests i can do here for testing the radio, I'm working in electrical company and i have all the required equipments.
Haim
AVIAN->Haim

Hi Haim,

It is hard to say what might be the issue without having the engineers take a look at it.

That would require you to send back the unit for them to service and if they need to replace any boards inside they can do it then.

So, here we go again... For the 2nd time! It was sent in January 2017. again, an expensive delivery (more than a 100$) for the radio to China.
couple a month later I'm receiving the following mail from AVIAN: "Hi Haim,
Sorry about the earlier message. We do have the unit back.
We double checked the status of this unit as confirmed that we have received it back from the factory and the DVD player is now working and the unit powers up normally.
What are the other list of issues with the unit so we can check it for you." Funny, it sound the same as the first replay when it reached China. As you can expected they said everything is fine and we'll send the radio back. and as you can expected I refuse to get that faulty system back and asked for a new replacement. Tommy said the Avant-2 system is no longer manufactured (I wonder why...) and he can send me another system: " We can replace the unit with our new Android 511 Quad core unit for you. This is newer hardware and software. https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-e-...w211-w219.html"

I agreed, there was nothing else I could do...
Last week I've Android 511 (it cost me again the 100$ shipment + 250$ custom because its not the same radio I've sent) and it sucks.
I cant connect to the net using my phone in BT Tethering, USB Tethering and Wi-Fi Hot spot.
There is no Mirror Link.
There is no Download phone book.
It came without manual and when I've asked Tommy about it he said there is no user manual. I've mailed him several times in the last week but no one answer me. how can I check the company still exist?
I've paid 500$ for the Avant-2 system and more than 600$ because of its problems

I tried looking for a user manual for it and found a very similar radio in a different name "ersin 5080CM" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Core-Andro...947?rmvSB=true). It cost 350$ while the Android 511 $499.99...

I just wanted to share how disappointed I am from something consider to be a premium audio system. 1100$ over a year for something that worked only a couple of month...

Now two question please.
Does anyone tried the AVIAN Android 511 and can help me? or have the manual?
What would you recommended for a good audio system for E350 (W211 2008)?
The following users liked this post:
herminshs (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 AM

2005 E 500
WOW!!! I was just about to pull the trigger and purchase this unit from Avin....Until I found this posts...Thanks man, you saved me from making a mistake. Good luck
Old 12-31-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercdes 350CLS
Bonjour
J'ai aussi un probleme avec le CANBUS de la meercedes (W219 ou 211) est-ce que vous pourrier me dire ou il est pour pouvoir connecter la commande au volant.
Seicane n'a pas les memes connecteurs