Considering c350 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML350 Black/Black
Considering c350 coupe

Stopped by dealer today and test drove C coupe. I am planning to trade my 09 G37 Infiniti coupe and MB C350 is one of the coupes I like. Besides great styling and quality mb craftsmanship I found following disadvantages in compare to my G. First is streering is too soft and reminds me American cars. Second suspension is soft as well, I was expecting sportier tunning and handling. Third sound system not up to G's Bose power even every G owner asking for more. In general car feels much lighter and thinner than G. I am not complaining on power since I drove C250 instead of C350 because dealer don't have any c350 in stock , transmission was great. Last thing I don't like is rim around side windows, coupe should be rimless in my opinion. Otherwise great car!

I might wait and try c350 later, but first impression is 3 out of 5. Sorry...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 PM

2011 E350 coupe
I would definitely drive the 350 with the Dynamic Handling option it is literally a night and day difference. The suspension offers a lower ride height and is much much sportier, the steering tightens up, and the overall performance is much greater. Honestly they perform like two totally different cars.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 AM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
Originally Posted by CTBenz23
I would definitely drive the 350 with the Dynamic Handling option it is literally a night and day difference. The suspension offers a lower ride height and is much much sportier, the steering tightens up, and the overall performance is much greater. Honestly they perform like two totally different cars.

I will ask for next drive test, problem is that dealer don't like to hold coupes in stock. I tried BMW, Audi and MB. All 3 are biggest dealers in NJ and all 3 telling me same story -> you need to order what you need. But how can i order something I didn't try first place?
MB dealer I visited is Ray Catena, I assume one of the biggest in NJ/NY/CT dealers and only C250 to try... sucks!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
Originally Posted by Breitling65
Stopped by dealer today and test drove C coupe. I am planning to trade my 09 G37 Infiniti coupe and MB C350 is one of the coupes I like. Besides great styling and quality mb craftsmanship I found following disadvantages in compare to my G. First is streering is too soft and reminds me American cars. Second suspension is soft as well, I was expecting sportier tunning and handling. Third sound system not up to G's Bose power even every G owner asking for more. In general car feels much lighter and thinner than G. I am not complaining on power since I drove C250 instead of C350 because dealer don't have any c350 in stock , transmission was great. Last thing I don't like is rim around side windows, coupe should be rimless in my opinion. Otherwise great car!

I might wait and try c350 later, but first impression is 3 out of 5. Sorry...

Got one today c350 white/almond, amazing difference. Very happy!

Last edited by Breitling65; 11-06-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:52 PM

2011 E350 coupe
Nice, I knew you would like the 350 alot more than the 250. What options did you go with?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
Originally Posted by CTBenz23
Nice, I knew you would like the 350 alot more than the 250. What options did you go with?

Not much, sport tuned suspension, amg body kit is all I need. All other things as bluetooth and ipod etc are there too No navigation, I don't use this thing since Garmin does it better anyway. Car is great and no regrets now to trade G37, much better car overall besides hp's Got 1.9% financing and first two month free by MB bank. $2K instant rebate as well.

Extrimely happy with car, just not sure where to get parts for it online ???
Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 AM

none
interior pics? my dealership only had the black interior.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM

2012 ML63, 2017 SLC300
On the "sporty" difference (G tighter, heavier) - find a nice curve that has frost heaves and take it with a little gusto. The difference between the 2 cars will jump out right away. The G37 is tighter but less controlled. Jumpy, twitchy. The C350 is composed, compliant. I'd like a little more steering weight, but I'll happily trade it for the much higher stability. On a track the G would be quicker, but these aren't track cars.

While the G37 puts up a higher final HP figure, it does so at higher revs and the torque comes on later than in the new 350 engine. Thus, the C is more driveable and basically just as quick on the stopwatch.

IMHO, you made the right choice. Congrats.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:43 PM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
Originally Posted by AronAZ
On the "sporty" difference (G tighter, heavier) - find a nice curve that has frost heaves and take it with a little gusto. The difference between the 2 cars will jump out right away. The G37 is tighter but less controlled. Jumpy, twitchy. The C350 is composed, compliant. I'd like a little more steering weight, but I'll happily trade it for the much higher stability. On a track the G would be quicker, but these aren't track cars.

While the G37 puts up a higher final HP figure, it does so at higher revs and the torque comes on later than in the new 350 engine. Thus, the C is more driveable and basically just as quick on the stopwatch.

IMHO, you made the right choice. Congrats.

I drove G37X, x means awd. I also own G35x sedan and Acura TL before G37x. G37X vs S -> means worse suspension, brakes, 18 inch non staggered tires and large gap between tire top and fender. Normally to look good you should drop G37 next day you got it, that is what I prefer not to do. Engine is strong but not much more than C350, I don't feel underpowered in C350. But I feel better sportier suspension and steering with RWD and amazingly better brakes on C. Car is very stable while cornering and fast acceleration, G37x is much worse on this.
I like exhaust sound on G37 better and I like rimless side windows. But that is very minimal advantage to me. Mercedes feel MUCH better made car in any detail I look or touch. I love BT streaming and pano sunroof, I love that I could whatch my iPad2/Netflix and I don't need wires to listen sound in car speakers.
Only thing I need is to get good set of 17 or 18 inch rims for winter setup, I am looking now ...

Last edited by Breitling65; 11-12-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 AM

2012 ML63, 2017 SLC300
That's a good review. German is much different driving dynamic than Infiniti & Acura. All good cars with different strengths. Benz did a good job with this C.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Okay... My wife wants to trade out of her GLK into the C coupe... How's the rear view? Any major blind spots? How's the power in the C250? Does it feel weak, or struggling? Wondering why they decided against 4-Matic?

Now this is my huge concern... I am very worried about these new direct injected (DI) Merc engines. If they are anything like VAG's (Audi, VW Group) engines, they will suffer from severe carbon build-up on the intake valves after 50,000 miles. The reason is that DI engines eliminate the port FI's so the valves are no longer cleaned by detergent gasolines. In fact these new DI engines are suffering major carbon issues over on Audi forums since they introduced the technology about 6 years ago.

Has MB been able to overcome this major engineering problem on their new DI engines, or are we all going to start screaming in a few years as these problems start hitting us?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:37 AM

2012 ML63, 2017 SLC300
Power is subjective. For 95% of the population, the C250 is plenty fast. It may even feel a little more willing than the V6 in lower rev range (where the turbo 4 makes torque sooner). The 350 just pulls harder higher in the revs and responds a little quicker when first dipping the throttle off the line because there is no turbo to spool. (not to say there is lag in the 250, its just not as lively in the first instant)

Can't speak to how direct injection will hold up over the long haul for MB. I'm on 3yr lease so not really a concern.

BMW also had massive HPFP issues. They also had troubles keeping good software loads. Mine sat in the the bay once for 2 weeks while they worked with HQ in Germany to get the car to boot. (yeah, you read that right)