DIY: Grille Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
DIY: Grille Removal

I haven't yet gotten around to making my own DIY for front Grille Removal with my own pictures. But I just stumbled across a video on YouTube that shows the whole process very well.

Here are the steps (which you can see in the video):
1) Push in the lower/bottom portion of the grille to remove the grille from the front securing tabs. (This was harder/required more force on my c-coupe than on my pre-facelift w204 grille - which the video shows the pre-facelift) But the process is the same on the coupe (I have done it already) just one minor snag which I will get into.

2) Pull up on the sides to remove the "cylinder" tabs from the hook-securing mechanism.

3) Behind the center MB-star is the last securing point. There are two holes on the grille which a t-bar with two plastic notches on either side go into, securing the grille. I find it easiest to do what the guy in the video did and just reach behind/manipulate the grille to remove one side first, then the other with your hands. But if you have trouble/have big fingers, a small flathead screwdriver should help.

4) Now that the grille is out, install the new on in the reverse order.

Here is the video for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzM7KfiLZO0

*Note* The c-coupe has a smaller t-bar than the pre-facelift w204 sedan. I am not sure of the style on the new 2012 sedans, as I don't have one, but I would imagine that to be the same as prior sedans as its the same grille.

Because the T-bar on the coupe isn't as wide as on the sedans, any grille designed for the sedan or pre-facelift will not be able to secure using the t-bar. I have installed my old "SL-Style" grille on my new coupe. I found that between the lower securing tabs, and the two cylinder and hook securing point on either side of the grille, there was ample support for safe use. However, there is some "give" behind the center MB-star, particularly towards the top, where the T-bar is. Just don't put a ton of pressure on it when washing the car and there should be no issues.

This is somewhat of a "sacrifice" I am willing to make until new grilles come out specifically for the c-coupe.

Here is a picture of the "SL-Style" grille on my car. Plan on getting the "C63 coupe replica" grille that has a chrome surround and an open/normal size MB star:

DIY: Grille Removal-82042578.jpg

Another note: Grilles made for the C63 model WILL NOT fit. The C63 has a different hood and as such, the grille protrudes more and is a different size - which won't fit in our coupes. As such, if you want a C63 grille, you will have to get a replica that is made to fit a c250/c300/c350 and NOT the OEM c63 grille.

If this isn't enough and people are having trouble, I will update this DIY later on with pictures and a more detailed write-up. Hopefully this will work for now though...

Last edited by jctevere; 01-12-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 grille in brasil

I am Brazilian and I have ac coupe 2012, changed the grille for this 2012 C63 AMG. In Brazil we also have our forum mercedes-goods, with high quality as well.

here is a picture of the grid

Last edited by P.fernandes; 01-13-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 PM

2012 C350 Coupe
How did you manage to get the center bottom tabs out? I been at it for the last 2 hours trying to get the grill off.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
jctevere, great post as usual! thank you for your write-up! car looks great! let me know about the C63 grill, I'm interested.

P.fernandes, any info on where we can get that grill? thanks! got any more pics of your car?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 AM

2012 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by nlpamg
jctevere, great post as usual! thank you for your write-up! car looks great! let me know about the C63 grill, I'm interested.

P.fernandes, any info on where we can get that grill? thanks! got any more pics of your car?
I'm thinking of ordering this, but before I do that, I want to beable to get the grill off first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230748029689...ht_1828wt_1398
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
It was a pain, the new 2012 grille designs are very good and rigid, held in very well. Are you talking about the tabs on the bottom the grille where it meets the bumper? If so, just push in really hard on either side of the MB circle on the bottom. You won't break anything, I just remember it needed a good amount of force. It probably helps if your in a warm garage or something to help loosen the tabs and provide more "give".

If your talking about the t-bar" that is in the middle of the grille in the center (height wise) - behind the MB star, I simply carefully used a screwdriver to help wiggle the tabs out of the holes.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I'm also curious to see how the C63 grille works out. I'm interested in swapping my stock 2012 facelift grille for the 2012 C63 grille, but someone posted over on the sedan forums that it won't fit.

Kind of a stupid question - doing a little bit of poking around, but are the sedan and coupe grilles the same size on the facelift cars?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by lookinbarrel
I'm thinking of ordering this, but before I do that, I want to beable to get the grill off first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230748029689...ht_1828wt_1398
So is this supposed to be a perfect fit for our c250s? The auction says that it fits but want to make sure...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 PM

2012 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Kevin82
So is this supposed to be a perfect fit for our c250s? The auction says that it fits but want to make sure...
I think it's designed for the pre facelift cars. I ordered it a few days ago. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Here are some facts:
1) Pre-facelift cars will fit into 2012 models (c300/c350 can fit in c250/c300/c350). C63 ///AMG grilles will only fit in C63 vehicles, same as pre-facelift. The only way to get the C63 grille is if you get one "styled" or replicated to look like it, but still fit a c250/c300/c350.

2) While the grilles "fit", they only secure using 2 out of 3 various points. The bottom tabs and side tabs still secure, but the t-bar in the center for the coupes is too narrow compared to the pre-facelift sedans. Therefore, they can't snap in and secure.

I am not sure if this same issue is on the 2012 sedans, as the t-bar might be the same as pre-facelifts in the sedans, but they could also be the new narrow ones like in the coupes... Not sure.

My grille is like this though, and 2/3 mounting positions is definitely ample and safe, it only has a little bit of "give" or flex in the center of the grillle towards the top, right about the MB Star logo.

With this said, someone should really email the seller of that grille link posted above to remove the information that it is "for" a 2012 model. You shouldn't really say that unless the t-bar secures also, as it is not ideal and 100% oem equivalent. Now perhaps, someone with a 2012 sedan bought it and told him it fit 100%, so maybe this issue pertains only to the coupes.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM

2012 C250 w/ AMG upgrades
You seem to have a broad understanding the 2012 models. I have a 2012 c250 and I want to remove the grille tonight and matte black the insides (leaving the chrome-lip) and then put back into place when finished. Obviously, I've been doing a lot of research on how to paint it (using spray plasti-dip so I can peel off if I don't like end-result) Can you give me tips on exactly how to remove the '12 c250 grille and then replace- I'm a chick and I'm hesitant that I won't be able to apply enough force getting it off the car and obviopusly don't want to damage it in any way either.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 ATS-V
I tried multiple times to get that damned center section undone from the bottom of the grill, and I still can't get it to pop....so I said screw it and painted it while on the car. Lots of masking and lots of patience are required though.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Haha, it really is a pain in the ***. Ask your dad or boyfriend or soemone to help you out if you're unable to do it.

Pretty much, make sure you get the bottom tabs (especially the center ones) before pulling the two side notches out of the grooves. Then it should only leave you with the T-Bar behind the center MB Star, which is also a pain, but not nearly as bad. You just need to use a flathead screwdriver to pry it out. Heck, even if you break any of the mounitng points, like the t-bar or some of the bottom notches, the grille will still be very secure due to the two cylinder sphere's that lock into the notch... Leave it to MB to over-engineer everything.

If you do decide to paint it on the car, just be sure to mask VERY well so that you don't get any rubber on the radiator grille. A cardboard cutout slid behind the grille and painters tape should suffice.

Also, you might want to check out a few videos of the guy who plasti-dips his Audi. You have to do 3 or so coats, with the first ones really light, which will go against your natural instinct, but if you don't do that, the plasti-dip will run or bubble up and it will look bad, forcing you to re-do it.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 ATS-V
agreed! check out my thread with all the taping I did to get it covered up...it's a pain, but less worrysome than trying to get it out and break someting, lol!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...a-painted.html
Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C350 Coupe 4M
Anyone been able to confirm that the facelifted sedan grill and coupe grill are interchangeable?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Yes. The sedan 08-2013 and coupe grilles are interchangeable. Except for my above mentioned T-Bar being different sizes. Which isn't a make or break item, it just isn't as ideal. It will have tons of support and not be an issue though, so don't worry about it. I just don't want you thinking it is a 100% match.

With that said, the C63 AMG grill doesn't fit non AMG models (and vice versa)