LED brake lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
LED brake lights

Does anyone know why we are stuck with bulbs for brake lights and not LED? It kinda ruins the look for me.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I guess it is a cost difference and something to give the e-class an "edge" over the c-class. However, the third brake light behind the rear glass is LED - so you still have the safety impact of increase response time.

Also, AZN-Optics has those in LED if you want to retrofit them. I have changed out the reverse bulbs to a pure-white ELD - looks awesome. There are 4 brake light bulbs, so you will need 4 led (two on each side).
Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
Originally Posted by jctevere
I guess it is a cost difference and something to give the e-class an "edge" over the c-class. However, the third brake light behind the rear glass is LED - so you still have the safety impact of increase response time.

Also, AZN-Optics has those in LED if you want to retrofit them. I have changed out the reverse bulbs to a pure-white ELD - looks awesome. There are 4 brake light bulbs, so you will need 4 led (two on each side).
pics?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 PM

2012 C250 Coupe

Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Honda Civic
Wait, from the pictures I saw of the car, I thought that it did have LED tail and brake lights? Could this be part of the lighting package?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Even Kia's have LED tails...
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by lbccpt
Does anyone know why we are stuck with bulbs for brake lights and not LED? It kinda ruins the look for me.

Aren't these LED's? This is off the MBUSA website...

Sport Sedan with LED taillamps and rear spoiler - New LED taillamps feature fiber-optic design for a three-dimensional effect at night.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM

2006 audi a4
Has anyone put in aftermarket LED brake light bulbs for the bottom portion of the tail lights? If so, please post up pics! I am thinking about changing the non led bulbs with led bulbs, but want to see how they look like before I take the plunge. I must admit that it does look a little weird having LED turn signals, but no LED brake lights.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
My picture above just shows the LED REVERSE light that I installed, instead of the halogen yellow. The taillights have LED running lights (the two strips on each side), however, the brake lights, (2 bulbs on each side) are only in the lower portion, and are illuminated in my picture. Those lights are still halogen, and can be replaced with LED bulbs. I have not done this yet, and I'm not sure if I really plan on doing it... If I do, I will post pictures though.

Lighting package only changes the headlights, taillights are the same regardless of package.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My picture above just shows the LED REVERSE light that I installed, instead of the halogen yellow. The taillights have LED running lights (the two strips on each side), however, the brake lights, (2 bulbs on each side) are only in the lower portion, and are illuminated in my picture. Those lights are still halogen, and can be replaced with LED bulbs. I have not done this yet, and I'm not sure if I really plan on doing it... If I do, I will post pictures though.

Lighting package only changes the headlights, taillights are the same regardless of package.
So what's the story with "fiber optic design"? That's what it says below the pix on their website. Is it total ?

PS By the way, standard filament light bulbs are not halogen filled. Therefore they are not "halogen".
Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by MBRedux
So what's the story with "fiber optic design"? That's what it says below the pix on their website. Is it total ?

PS By the way, standard filament light bulbs are not halogen filled. Therefore they are not "halogen".
Haha, I just call them all halogen for simplicity. Good looking out though. As far as the "fiber optic design", when LED lighted, you usually see the individual LED (think Audi tail lights, Infiniti, etc). Mercedes has to refine everything, so with fiber optics they transfer the light from the LED to the two bands on the tail lights to make it look the way it does.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Honda Civic
I was out driving tonight and I noticed 2 C class. One 2012 sedan and one pre-2012 and the new tail-lights do look better. They don't look LED now, more like a cool NEON tube look. If you notice the older models of the C class, the two red rectangles look washed out and flat. The new tail-light red rectangles look very sharp so there is something different there.

To be honest, as long as it looks cool, bright, modern, and expensive I don't care if it is LED or not. So many cars have LED tail lights that I like to have something cool that stands out. If you notice the new Audi A5 refresh, its tail-lights also look more like a light bar than LED bulbs.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Tail lamps are not break lights. The tail lamps are led the brake lights are the old bulbs. We need to find out if there is an led replacement for these bulbs
Originally Posted by DinB
I was out driving tonight and I noticed 2 C class. One 2012 sedan and one pre-2012 and the new tail-lights do look better. They don't look LED now, more like a cool NEON tube look. If you notice the older models of the C class, the two red rectangles look washed out and flat. The new tail-light red rectangles look very sharp so there is something different there.

To be honest, as long as it looks cool, bright, modern, and expensive I don't care if it is LED or not. So many cars have LED tail lights that I like to have something cool that stands out. If you notice the new Audi A5 refresh, its tail-lights also look more like a light bar than LED bulbs.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Tail lamps are not break lights. The tail lamps are led the brake lights are the old bulbs. We need to find out if there is an led replacement for these bulbs
Oh, there is definitely a replacement. AZNOptics. Don't know the bulb type off the top of my head though.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Even Kia's have LED tails...
My faggy '07 RAV4 has full LED taillights.

Tell you the truth, the very yellow looking interior dome light bothers me more.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by ImmaBeSmug2
My faggy '07 RAV4 has full LED taillights.

Tell you the truth, the very yellow looking interior dome light bothers me more.
I put up a DIY on how to change the interior lights

You can use halogen polarg M4 that give a white light. Or 194 type LED that give a REALLY bright light.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:26 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Oh, there is definitely a replacement. AZNOptics. Don't know the bulb type off the top of my head though.
So I think this is the product to get? I guess you cant just replace the brake bulbs with LEDs alone you have to buy this combo 1 piece which replaces the other stock LEDs as well. Is this right? $125 for each side

http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...products_id=41
Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
So I think this is the product to get? I guess you cant just replace the brake bulbs with LEDs alone you have to buy this combo 1 piece which replaces the other stock LEDs as well. Is this right? $125 for each side

http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...products_id=41
Nope. That is a whole package which is no good since its for the pre-facelift tail lights to make tem fully LED. All you need to replace are the brake lights (2 on each side) 4 bulbs total to make them fully led. Unless you also want to have the reverse lights led, those are 1 bulb per side to make the total 6 bulbs.

This will retain the complete factory led look and functions, as you are ONLY replacing the brake light bulbs. I will check with Mike at aznoptics to confirm the bulb type when I get a chance. They are probably around $30/$35 per bulb. So $140 or so for the full brake light replacement (4 bulbs) or $210 if you also want the led reverse lights.

BTW. To clarify, it is possible to change just the individual bulbs on the panel. They simply twist in to secure. They are fairly easy to do. I will make a mock DIY shortly, since I already replaced my reverse lights, but won't be replacing my brake lights.

Last edited by jctevere; 02-05-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Nope. That is a whole package which is no good since its for the pre-facelift tail lights to make tem fully LED. All you need to replace are the brake lights (2 on each side) 4 bulbs total to make them fully led. Unless you also want to have the reverse lights led, those are 1 bulb per side to make the total 6 bulbs.

This will retain the complete factory led look and functions, as you are ONLY replacing the brake light bulbs. I will check with Mike at aznoptics to confirm the bulb type when I get a chance. They are probably around $30/$35 per bulb. So $140 or so for the full brake light replacement (4 bulbs) or $210 if you also want the led reverse lights.
http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...products_id=34

This must be it. That website is a little cluttered.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...products_id=34

This must be it. That website is a little cluttered.
Nope. I'm pretty sure that on the pre-facelift the reverse bulbs and brake light bulbs were the same type. Which is a 1156/7506 bulb type. If you want red ones for the brake lights, these are them:
http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...products_id=20

However. The only thing I am "unsure about" is if they have changed the brake lights for the 2012. I know the reverse lights have stayed the same. And the brake lights looked the same to me. I guess I can always test fit one of my reverse lights into the brake lights to see how that goes.

The bulbs you have posted are for the rear turn signals (because the pre-facelift didn't always have led turn signals in the rear).

EDIT: I was wrong about pricing too: The price of the bulbs are only $30 and they are sold in sets of (2) Making it only $60 for full brake light conversion or $90 for brake light and reverse light conversion.

And yes, I will admit the site is a bit cluttered and slow. But to his defense he never made it out to be a business, more to help out forum members and give good proceed with awesome warranty/support. The site is relatively new, but I expect it will be updated soon if I know anything about mike. Lol

Last edited by jctevere; 02-05-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Nope. I'm pretty sure that on the pre-facelift the reverse bulbs and brake light bulbs were the same type. Which is a 1156/7506 bulb type. If you want red ones for the brake lights, these are them:
http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...products_id=20

However. The only thing I am "unsure about" is if they have changed the brake lights for the 2012. I know the reverse lights have stayed the same. And the brake lights looked the same to me. I guess I can always test fit one of my reverse lights into the brake lights to see how that goes.

The bulbs you have posted are for the rear turn signals (because the pre-facelift didn't always have led turn signals in the rear).

The price of the bulbs are only $30. Making it $120 for full brake light conversion or $180 for brake light and reverse light conversion.

And yes, I will admit the site is a bit cluttered and slow. But to his defense he never made it out to be a business, more to help out forum members and give good proceed with awesome warranty/support. The site is relatively new, but I expect it will be updated soon if I know anything about mike. Lol
I have a 2012 C250 coupe my manual says the brake bulb is p2 so shouldnt be able fine in the brake light spot?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I have a 2012 C250 coupe my manual says the brake bulb is p2 so shouldnt be able fine in the brake light spot?
Hmmm, well I just took out my LED reverse light bulb and put it in the brake light socket. It fit and lighted up... Does the manual say what the reverse light bulb is? I was fairly certain when I got it a year or two back that it was an 1156/7506...

Here is what the board looks like:

The top one is the one by my left thumb, which is the reverse bulb which I replaced with the LED as you can see. The two on the right are on the bottom and are incandescent bulbs. My Reverse LED fit in that socket and light up, without throwing any type of error codes.

Last edited by jctevere; 02-06-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 AM

2012 C250 Coupe
Hmmm, well I just took out my LED reverse light bulb and put it in the brake light socket. It fit and lighted up... Does the manual say what the reverse light bulb is? I was fairly certain when I got it a year or two back that it was an 1156/7506...

Here is what the board looks like:

The top one is the one by my left thumb, which is the reverse bulb which I replaced with the LED as you can see. The two on the right are on the bottom and are incandescent bulbs. My Reverse LED fit in that socket and light up, without throwing any type of error codes.
From the manual on page 108 all are the same bulb p2

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...lass-Coupe.pdf
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Metropolitan
I have a guess. LED's are not good heat conductors and during cold winter times ice builds up on the lens. Unlike regular bulbs which emits heat to defrost the lens. I dont know just speaking from experience. Could be other things but who knows?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED brake lights