Rims? How to get the effect?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C250 2012
Rims? How to get the effect?

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and to MB in general. I picked up my 2012 C250 Coupe just 1 week ago, and in short I love it!

I need some advice though, I searched the forums, and there is a wealth of information, but still not sure how to achieve what I want without causing problems.

As a RWD, I know I have to get Winters, so I wanted to keep my 17" AMG rims for the Winters and get a set of 18" for my summers. I was thinking of the C63 5 Spoke Twin (same 17"'s that I have on now), but I want to get the rims more "out" - so change the offset? Is that right?

I was thinking of getting some dish after market rims for the car, but I don't know what size to look for, how to get the look that I want, and not have the tires hit the wheel wells or fenders.

Is there any advice you can give? If you have pics of what it should look like, or suggestions of rims (the car is black), that would be awesome.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
If you want them out, i.e. sticking out from under the wheel well, you'd want to get wide tires for one. As wide as they can be, without looking stupid. Then if you want to go further out, you'll want to get spacers. They can be of different width sizes depending on how far back you want the tires to go.

If you want crazy, dramatic looking stance, which wheels at potential angles even, you'd want to look into camber kits.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 AM

Mercedes Benz C250 2012
Thanks, just looking to have then come out till the fender, not beyond that. Do you have any idea what tire size I should be looking for? I guess the cheapest option would be the spacers? Is there a disadvantage on running spacers?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
I would go with 19" rims with potentially a staggered stance. For rear tires, anything over 275 in width should stick out the way you want it. Plus it looks pretty amazing when you see a massive width tire from behind. I haven't done this to my Merc yet so I am not too familiar with these, I am going off with the numbers I had for my 350Z. Spacers don't typically have any disadvantages if they are done right. But you honestly won't need them since you don't want to go crazy. All you need is to find the right tire width and you should be good.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
Originally Posted by papashango
I would go with 19" rims with potentially a staggered stance. For rear tires, anything over 275 in width should stick out the way you want it. Plus it looks pretty amazing when you see a massive width tire from behind. I haven't done this to my Merc yet so I am not too familiar with these, I am going off with the numbers I had for my 350Z. Spacers don't typically have any disadvantages if they are done right. But you honestly won't need them since you don't want to go crazy. All you need is to find the right tire width and you should be good.
I honestly wouldn't go with anything over 275 if you're looking to lower. That stance would be hideous since you're already raising the stance and trying to make it wider. There is significant wheelwell gap.

Another method which I would not recommend but you may consider would be to get 10.5" or even 11" rims and undersize the tires at 255/265 width to lower the overall tire height. That way you could lower the car and still clear the fender. But it's definitely not very safe.

Keep in mind a standard staggered +2 setup is:

Front Rim: 19x8.5
Rear Rim: 19x9.5
Front Tires: 235/35R19
Rear Tires" 265/30R19

I am running:
Front Rim: 19x8.5
Rear Rim: 19x10
Front Tires: 235/35R19
Rear Tires" 265/30R19

but will switch to 275/30R19 rear tires after I wear these out.

The wider rims will give you an aggressive stance already. Any spacing over 10mm on stock offsets will just look hideous and will most likely rub.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLS 550
DO NOT GET SPACERS!!!! Those are the worst thing you can do, puts unnecessary stress on lugs/hubs, potential for warping the rotors, the list goes on....Just go for a more aggressive offset, and a staggered setup. you'll be fine.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Mercedes Benz C250 2012
Thanks guys, really helpful - so spacers are out.

Here is my next question, I don't want to drop the car - number of reasons - the car is on lease, and don't want any issues, cost, and ride quality.

If I use 19" rims, I want to keep the staggered setup, would the car raise too much and look stupid? Also, the wheel well gap, would it increase to a point where the car looks like a truck?

I was thinking of 18" rims, and hoping to not change the ride height, by using tires to keep it a minimum, and hopefully not increase the well gap.

Any advice?

I was also looking to go with dish rims, you guys have any thoughts? Would it look better? The car is black, so was looking for some darker rims, not black, but parts can be black, and if you have any suggestions on rims, that would be great.

Of course I would guess that your advice would to not buy from MB...I don't think they offer dish rims anyways.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 AM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...coupe-19s.html

Here's my car. That's stock suspension setup with 19's. The gap isn't stupid, but it could be better.

Black cars look good with nice deep dish rims with polished/chrome/brushed lips. There are lots to choose from! Look through the forum and you will see several vendors offering rims.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLS 550
as long as you get properly sized tires in the right proportion to the stock size, wheel gap should be no less. You may get a bit more height out of the car, but otherwise nothing else should change.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
We offer different kind of wheel choices for your c250 samin1972. Checkout our www.Acealloywheel.com Custom drill. Your car will look clean with our new release Mesh7.