What DON'T you like about your new coupe??

Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Interesting thread

After approx. 2 months and a travelled distance of 4000km I don't have any serious complaints at all, in fact the more I drive and own this vehicle the more I love it !!!

Only very minor negatives like wanting more control over exactly which lights in the headlight assemblies you can turn on or off or at the same time together or not etc. also there's no sound level indicator for the HK sound system which is very odd and still adjusting to the foot activated handbrake, as said all minor things which I can easily get over

It's good to know that for RHD vehicles MB's is finally switching the indicator stalk over, that's a big plus I wish I could've gotten on my car, but not too worried about that one as all my other Euro cars have the same set up and I'm used to it.

Other little items that others have mentioned like the door pins are easily solved (I too now have nice AMG items in) and things like exccessive brake dust are common to all vehicles, not just MB's it's due to the type of OEM pads that OEM manufacturers use.

As for interior ambient lighting, mine has that and IMO it's a perfect set up the way MB has done it, so for vehicles without it must be a case of vehicles with a basic spec mines a fully optioned vehicle and despite the cost I'm absolutely chuffed I optioned everything, I'm enjoying all the features and capabilities MB has to offer on these cars

Oh forgot to mention the backup camera works just fine for me, I actually had a look at the distance to another vehicle behind me as soon as it comes into sight and it was still many metres away, maybe for those that this isn't the case, the camera may have been installed at the wrong angle ?? maybe have it checked at your next service interval by MB.

Last edited by AV1; 06-03-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by AV1
Interesting thread

After approx. 2 months and a travelled distance of 4000km I don't have any serious complaints at all, in fact the more I drive and own this vehicle the more I love it !!!

Only very minor negatives like wanting more control over exactly which lights in the headlight assemblies you can turn on or off or at the same time together or not etc. also there's no sound level indicator for the HK sound system which is very odd and still adjusting to the foot activated handbrake, as said all minor things which I can easily get over

It's good to know that for RHD vehicles MB's is finally switching the indicator stalk over, that's a big plus I wish I could've gotten on my car, but not too worried about that one as all my other Euro cars have the same set up and I'm used to it.

Other little items that others have mentioned like the door pins are easily solved (I too now have nice AMG items in) and things like exccessive brake dust are common to all vehicles, not just MB's it's due to the type of OEM pads that OEM manufacturers use.

As for interior ambient lighting, mine has that and IMO it's a perfect set up the way MB has done it, so for vehicles without it must be a case of vehicles with a basic spec mines a fully optioned vehicle and despite the cost I'm absolutely chuffed I optioned everything, I'm enjoying all the features and capabilities MB has to offer on these cars

Oh forgot to mention the backup camera works just fine for me, I actually had a look at the distance to another vehicle behind me as soon as it comes into sight and it was still many metres away, maybe for those that this isn't the case, the camera may have been installed at the wrong angle ?? maybe have it checked at your next service interval by MB.
The US C250 doesn't come with the ambient lighting package stock while the other C class models do. It's silly. Probably the reason for the complaints there. Does this mean you C250 guys don't have the red lights in the door / trunk either? They are visible to oncoming traffic when a door is open and they also function as puddle lights along with the puddle lights under the mirrors.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:59 AM
gei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by cavasotti
I dont like the iphone cable being where it is and short the way it is.
you cant technically close both lids and have the iphone out of the compartment without smashing the cable. the cable is too short should be at least twice the size.. should have been a way to close the lid without crushing the cable.
+1 this is definitely an issue
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by acr2001
The US C250 doesn't come with the ambient lighting package stock while the other C class models do. It's silly. Probably the reason for the complaints there. Does this mean you C250 guys don't have the red lights in the door / trunk either? They are visible to oncoming traffic when a door is open and they also function as puddle lights along with the puddle lights under the mirrors.
Hello arc2001, Here in Aust. all the C Class coupes get the red lights in the doors and the boot (trunk) lid and also the red reflector patches on the doors, the puddle lights under the mirrors are an optional extra combined in a package called the 'Vision Package' here in Aust.

I agree it is silly to not get ambient lighting even standard on any MB if not for anything else then just because alot of cheaper brand vehicles have it.

I do feel for the people who don't have these items, they really can make a difference to the feel and functionality of the car, hence the negativity.

Not sure either with the vehicles in the U.S from the mixed impressions about the handling and steering, with our Aust. vehicles if fitted with the optional 'AMG package' both handling and steering are superb, certainly as good or better than any BMW E92 Coupe.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 AM

2012 C 350 Coupe
Here are my thought on my C350 after three months:

1. I think the transmission is very tough to keep in the sweet spot. Going 40 miles an hour, it should not be in 6th gear.
2. The sport mode button holds gears too long! sometimes going 50 mph, your in 3rd gear at 3500 RPM. Some type of S/W update is needed to tweak the shift points
3. The auto rain sensing wipers sometimes go berserk and turn on high with no rain, but eventually they get it right.
4. The pano sunroof is a pain with the shade having to be rolled back even for just a tilt.
5. High door sills make it hard to see curbs etc... I have a hard time judging parking spaces etc..
6. Nav system is ok, but needs some help with POIs and overall useability

I really like the car overall. If the transmission issue was fixed, I believe I would be loving the car.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
gei

C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
Not sure either with the vehicles in the U.S from the mixed impressions about the handling and steering, with our Aust. vehicles if fitted with the optional 'AMG package' both handling and steering are superb, certainly as good or better than any BMW E92 Coupe.
Seriously dude? Have you ever actually driven an E92? BMW's are considered some of the best handling cars in the world.

In Canada the AMG package and advanced agility package are also standard, and I can tell you our cars handle nowhere near as well as an E92.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by gei
Seriously dude? Have you ever actually driven an E92? BMW's are considered some of the best handling cars in the world.
~ my current e92 is a nice handling car but the steering feel is where it shines...

but still enjoying my new replacement... the c coupe.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by gei

In Canada the AMG package and advanced agility package are also standard, and I can tell you our cars handle nowhere near as well as an E92.
Yes, I've driven ALL of the current E92 coupes and was a previous owner of an E46 M3, without getting into that one of interest to me in this case were the diesels 320d and 330d to compare to the MB C250-CDI, the later was by far my preference over the Beemers, pity here in Aust. they don't sell the 325d and 335d, that may or may not have made a difference as for handling/performance aside, the E92's lag far behind in just about every other respect compared to the 2012 C Coupes.

As for drive impressions as previously stated by all people concerned it seems to be an individual choice, I for one am totally happy with the new C Class and am in agreement with local journalists views from here in stating 'overall' it's better than the equivalent model E92.

I am partial though to prefering a combination of ride quality and handling over upmost handling limits only, simple fact for me is it's extremely rare to drive any car (in a sensible fashion) on everyday roads to the limits anyway, that's the only time you may or may not notice handling benifits one has over the other with these 2 competitors

edit: I've just come across this review and it pretty much sums up the way the C Class feels for me too, as said it's always a case of each to their own, I'm happy with the Merc I'm sure the new F30 3 series coupe will raise the bar again.

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...ss-coupe-24999

Last edited by AV1; 06-04-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 AM

'08 G37s coupe, '12 C350coupe
1) car doesnt feel too stable at higher speeds. steering is too soft/sensitive. suspension is too soft. big bumps on the freeway make it hard to drive a straight line
2) i feel like the volume control should be on the left side of the steering wheel and there should be an option to change song tracks on the right
3) when changing songs on the ipod, the volume control often messes up and plays a song really loud for a second then goes back to normal. also, changing tracks is not very responsive
4) a few millimeters of window glass stick out with the windows rolled down, it bugs me and messes with my elbow
5) how can i hack my dvd player to show movies while i drive? i make long drives between vegas and so cal often late at night.. that'd be lovely
6) i hear a little click when i shift into reverse and hit the gas. this sometimes happens when i put the car in drive
7) passenger seat wont recline as far back as the driver seat (not sure why)
8) i'd like my C lights and bumper LEDs to both be on during the day
9) engine is unnecessarily loud for a few seconds on a cold start
10) navi is sometimes frustrating. i'd like it to be easier to see step by step directions and the turn list for when selecting the quickest route
11) tires left marks all over my drive way. i guess im not supposed to turn the wheel when the car isnt moving?
12) clanking sound from the frame (?) when i pull out of a declined driveway diagonally

having said that, i love my c350 coupe and the positives outweigh these nitpicky negatives. its a solid car! i just miss the sportiness of my g37-s coupe and wish the c350 had more *****. also, if mb used more common sense in some of its electronic features, i'd be a happy man

Last edited by MaDd; 06-05-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 PM

BMW 335i xDrive Coupe
AV1....I read that review you posted the link to. It seems it was written for a diesel coupe. That car will be substantially different than what most have here. I think expectations for a sporty coupe would be much higher, at least in the U.S.

My sister is looking at a new C350 coupe 4matic. I have an '11 BMW 335i xDrive coupe. Before I bought it, I was looking at C300 sedans last year (really wanted a coupe, though).

I've been helping my sister with her choice/purchase.

So, I've had a little experience comparing the 335 and C350. I totally understand who the C350 would appeal to (my sister, for one). It's not the handler that the 335i is....not even close. As far as acceleration, torque in the 335 is instantaneous, from low to mid to high RPMs. Steering is ideal.

However, if you're looking for a well built, light steering, softer, cruiser, vs a fast (muscle car fast), sharp handler, high quality sports car.

Again, two really different cars. Both good at what they do. But, they really are very different (except for price).

Enjoy what you've got. Many people would kill to have one (or a 335i for that matter).
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by graphicguy
AV1....I read that review you posted the link to. It seems it was written for a diesel coupe. That car will be substantially different than what most have here. I think expectations for a sporty coupe would be much higher, at least in the U.S.

My sister is looking at a new C350 coupe 4matic. I have an '11 BMW 335i xDrive coupe. Before I bought it, I was looking at C300 sedans last year (really wanted a coupe, though).

I've been helping my sister with her choice/purchase.

So, I've had a little experience comparing the 335 and C350. I totally understand who the C350 would appeal to (my sister, for one). It's not the handler that the 335i is....not even close. As far as acceleration, torque in the 335 is instantaneous, from low to mid to high RPMs. Steering is ideal.

However, if you're looking for a well built, light steering, softer, cruiser, vs a fast (muscle car fast), sharp handler, high quality sports car.

Again, two really different cars. Both good at what they do. But, they really are very different (except for price).

Enjoy what you've got. Many people would kill to have one (or a 335i for that matter).
Hello graphicguy

I think it's definitely a case of individual impressions, expectations and final choice decision on all of these vehicles, pity you don't have the diesels there as they are also a very good performance choice compared to their petrol counterparts both for MB and BMW

So your absolutely right in saying they (MB and BMW) are both very good vehicle choices and anyone would be more than happy to own either one or both as some people do

I'm actually waiting for the new generation 1M to appear and it may join my C Coupe, C Coupe for daily driver, 1M to join my other weekend/track days cars
Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM

BMW 335i xDrive Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
Hello graphicguy

I think it's definitely a case of individual impressions, expectations and final choice decision on all of these vehicles, pity you don't have the diesels there as they are also a very good performance choice compared to their petrol counterparts both for MB and BMW

So your absolutely right in saying they (MB and BMW) are both very good vehicle choices and anyone would be more than happy to own either one or both as some people do

I'm actually waiting for the new generation 1M to appear and it may join my C Coupe, C Coupe for daily driver, 1M to join my other weekend/track days cars
AV1...diesels don't do well in the U.S. There are several reasons. First, diesel tends to cost more than petro (regular gasoline). The potential increase in fuel economy does not offset the increase in diesel's cost.

2nd, while diesels do tend to offer generous low end torque, they run out of steam quickly as the revs increase. In the U.S. we want a broader power band. We cherish 0-60 MPH times more than 0-30 MPH times.

That said, I still believe the C 350 coupe and the 335i coupe really appeal to very different drivers. I put power and handling ahead of everything else, In that dept, the 335i is sublime. That is my personal preference, however.

My sister (who's looking at the c350 coupe) is much more sedate in her driving. The C350 would fit her better. She finds my 335i steering too heavy for her taste. She also doesn't like the power as much as I do.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
AV1...diesels don't do well in the U.S. There are several reasons. First, diesel tends to cost more than petro (regular gasoline). The potential increase in fuel economy does not offset the increase in diesel's cost.

2nd, while diesels do tend to offer generous low end torque, they run out of steam quickly as the revs increase. In the U.S. we want a broader power band. We cherish 0-60 MPH times more than 0-30 MPH times.

That said, I still believe the C 350 coupe and the 335i coupe really appeal to very different drivers. I put power and handling ahead of everything else, In that dept, the 335i is sublime. That is my personal preference, however.

My sister (who's looking at the c350 coupe) is much more sedate in her driving. The C350 would fit her better. She finds my 335i steering too heavy for her taste. She also doesn't like the power as much as I do.
That's fair enough, the point about fuel costs etc. would be of interest to all, here in Aust. it hovers between the prices of regular to high octane unleaded and somtimes is the same as regular unleaded, main difference is of course you typically get up to twice the range and endurance as unleaded.

However I must say again pity you guys have not had the chance to sample the diesels, I guarantee you that if you could test drive a C350-CDI and then compare that to the C350 petrol, it would blow you away !!! and another pity the C350-CDI is only available as a sedan and no coupe variant, otherwise I would own one right now

I've done the above at an AMG open day, on paper the numbers show the diesel to be only a fraction behind the petrol in acceleration from standstill, the diesel will demolish the petrol in rolling acceleration and in real life the diesel feels alot stronger everwhere and is much more fun to drive and it'll consume half the fuel fraction of the petrol.

In the case of the C250's the diesel is ahead on all counts.

When I test drove both the new C350 and SLK350 petrols, I had to thrash their nuts off the NA V6 to get them really going and they always felt flat, you don't have to push like that with the diesels, but if you do you have max. torque output almost immediately off idle and they remain super strong in the mid range, exactly what you need for about 95% of daily driving conditions
Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 AM

BMW 335i xDrive Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
That's fair enough, the point about fuel costs etc. would be of interest to all, here in Aust. it hovers between the prices of regular to high octane unleaded and somtimes is the same as regular unleaded, main difference is of course you typically get up to twice the range and endurance as unleaded.

However I must say again pity you guys have not had the chance to sample the diesels, I guarantee you that if you could test drive a C350-CDI and then compare that to the C350 petrol, it would blow you away !!! and another pity the C350-CDI is only available as a sedan and no coupe variant, otherwise I would own one right now

I've done the above at an AMG open day, on paper the numbers show the diesel to be only a fraction behind the petrol in acceleration from standstill, the diesel will demolish the petrol in rolling acceleration and in real life the diesel feels alot stronger everwhere and is much more fun to drive and it'll consume half the fuel fraction of the petrol.

In the case of the C250's the diesel is ahead on all counts.

When I test drove both the new C350 and SLK350 petrols, I had to thrash their nuts off the NA V6 to get them really going and they always felt flat, you don't have to push like that with the diesels, but if you do you have max. torque output almost immediately off idle and they remain super strong in the mid range, exactly what you need for about 95% of daily driving conditions
AV1....thanks for your insight. As mentioned, my sister is keen on a c350 4Matic coupe. I've driven one briefly (petro). Nice car. But, it's more of a lux cruiser than a sports coupe. Again, nothing wrong with that. Actually, the one she's looking at is a very nice car.

-Magnetite black
-Sahara Beige leather seating (w/driver and passenger memory seats)
-lighting package
-multimedia package
-Lane tracking
-keyless go
-parktronic
-18" 5 spoke AMG wheels

It's pretty well loaded up.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
AV1....thanks for your insight. As mentioned, my sister is keen on a c350 4Matic coupe. I've driven one briefly (petro). Nice car. But, it's more of a lux cruiser than a sports coupe. Again, nothing wrong with that. Actually, the one she's looking at is a very nice car.

-Magnetite black
-Sahara Beige leather seating (w/driver and passenger memory seats)
-lighting package
-multimedia package
-Lane tracking
-keyless go
-parktronic
-18" 5 spoke AMG wheels

It's pretty well loaded up.
That's a very nice spec, she's going to love it
Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250 Coupe
I agree with everything stated above. I feel that the paddle shifters are completely unresponsive and are essentially there for looks. At times when I try to upshift/downshift, it will take 3 or 4 seconds to do.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM

c250 amg cdi coupe
Totally agree with you Sherwin, Mine also the same, the car drives you rather than you drive it!!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by divine57
Totally agree with you Sherwin, Mine also the same, the car drives you rather than you drive it!!
True of anything with only two pedals! You're just aiming!

Last edited by Sportstick; 06-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 PM

C350 4matic Coupe
the paddles are not as fast as my previous car (Evo X MR) which was pretty fast, but it is not as slow as people are mentioning.. i used it the other day going into the city and it was just what I needed.. it is good enough i would say..
I dont like that we cant adjust the hight of the seat belt. I am 6'3''and sometimes it is uncomfortable on the shoulder.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
You can switch from E and S while driving, he is talking about the agility package with the separate "Sport" button. Also, only the first two settings on the windshield wipers are "Auto" one normal, one fast, the other two are manual settings even though they are auto sensing.

The iPhone cable is supposed to be short, as the iPhone is supposed to be contained within the center console and plugged in (there is no need to access the iPhone as you have in docked).

I am a bit dissappointed that there is no interior footwell lighting (and I don't buy the "its just a C-Class" argument, as the C-Class sedan has them).
Old 06-10-2012, 07:57 PM

2012 C250 Coupe w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by jctevere
You can switch from E and S while driving, he is talking about the agility package with the separate "Sport" button. Also, only the first two settings on the windshield wipers are "Auto" one normal, one fast, the other two are manual settings even though they are auto sensing.

The iPhone cable is supposed to be short, as the iPhone is supposed to be contained within the center console and plugged in (there is no need to access the iPhone as you have in docked).

I am a bit dissappointed that there is no interior footwell lighting (and I don't buy the "its just a C-Class" argument, as the C-Class sedan has them).
Wait, I have the physical sport button, am I not supposed to push it when driving?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 AM

c250 amg cdi coupe
I push my Sport button when driving and apparently the paddleshift gear change
is supposed to be more responsive in sport mode. I have yet to try.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 AM

2012 C250 Coupe w/ AMG Package
I would like to see a list of things that pushing the sport mode with agility package does.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 AM

c250 amg cdi coupe
SUSPENSION AND HANDLING
Dynamic Handling Package
Consisting of:
‘Sport’ button on centre console for sport driving mode
Sharper accelerator response
Continuously variable damping for improved ride
Quicker gear shifts via steering wheel
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C350 coupe; 2013 ML350
No problem with the brake dust. Curious if that is a C250 issue vs. a C350 issue.

I dislike the Panorama roof. I don't see any value in it and don't care for the screen that covers the glass in the roof.

Rear view camera is not very good compared to the camera in the ML. C has no lines and you can only see about 5-8 feet behind you.

Other than that, I find this car to be great.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What DON'T you like about your new coupe??